Traffic fro Disneyland area to LAX vs San Diego airport early am

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by Kebby, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kebby

Kebby DIS Veteran

for those who have flown to Aulani from disneyland area, which would be easier ( I have no clue about traffic there et) 1. getting a flight out of LAX at 9 in the morning ( so I assume leaving disney hotel around 5? worried about rush hour) or flying out of San Diego around 10 am ( so I assume still leaving around 5 30 am as it is a 2 hour drive). We will be flying to Hawaii so a long flight after arriving at the airport

2. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

No matter which airport you choose (and I would choose based on lower airfare), would it be possible to spend the night before at a hotel by the airport? You can usually find good rates at hotels by the airport, especially if you belong to a hotel loyalty program. Spending the night before close by the airport would alleviate all the anxiety about getting stuck in traffic on the morning of your flight. You could get a good night's sleep and just take the hotel shuttle to your terminal in the morning.

StageTek and dotfurio like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. FCDub

FCDub DIS Veteran

Google Maps can give you a gauge on traffic times when you want to arrive at a certain time. Just go here on a non-mobile device and change "Arrive by" to the time you'd like to arrive at the airport. It can give you a recommended time to leave and what traffic might look like: https://www.google.com/maps

5. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

In my experience your estimates are quite accurate:
    Leave DLR for LAX around 5AM fo a 9AM flight
    Leave DLR for SAN around 6AM for a 10AM flight

Traffic to LAX is heavy - traffic DLR to Irvine is heavy then lighter the rest of the way. I second luckyrabbit's suggestion; choose the lowest airfair.

6. WebmasterMaryJo

WebmasterMaryJo Techarita Staff Member Administrator

I agree with the others to look at the overall cost for flights and car rental. Leaving at 5:30 for your 9am flight is a good time to go. I wouldn't leave later than that, though.

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

Also, if the government is still shutdown, allow for plenty of extra time for security.