• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/0...rge-cruise-ships-to-visit-alaska-this-summer/
The Alaska bill has now passed in the House. Just needs the president to sign off on it. Princess Cruises has also announced they will be sailing from Seattle for two months on 7 night cruises between July 25 and Sept 26, they go on sale tomorrow.

Can't wait to see what Disney does (if anything) and hopefully they announce something soon. The Wonder is on the other side of the Panama Canal, so not sure how they will respond. Again more pressure on Florida (hopefully).

Carnival announced that they are moving forward with Alaska cruises in July for fully vaccinated travelers (pending passage of the PVSA exemption):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/...land-america-set-for-alaska-july-cruises.html
I could be mistaken, but I think that this is the first (mostly) firm announcement about the resumption of cruising from US ports.

I think it is....all will need to be vaccine schedule completed 14 days prior to sailing in order to board. It's the only way cruising can move forward.

Can't wait to see what Disney does (if anything) and hopefully they announce something soon. The Wonder is on the other side of the Panama Canal, so not sure how they will respond. Again more pressure on Florida (hopefully).

Does this mean that Disney has a realistic chance of sailing in AK this summer? I have to think getting the ship positioned, getting the CM's up to snuff on protocols will make it challenging.

Does this mean that Disney has a realistic chance of sailing in AK this summer? I have to think getting the ship positioned, getting the CM's up to snuff on protocols will make it challenging.
I feel like it's still a long shot, but IF Disney did choose to restart early cruises with a full vaccine requirement, which would effectively mean ages 12+ only, it seems to me like Alaska would be the market where it would make the most sense to do it.

My last cruise was Alaska so I'm not in a huge hurry to go back, but I'd consider booking if they did a 12+ cruise and gave adults free reign over the kids clubs. :rotfl:

I feel like it's still a long shot, but IF Disney did choose to restart early cruises with a full vaccine requirement, which would effectively mean ages 12+ only, it seems to me like Alaska would be the market where it would make the most sense to do it.

My last cruise was Alaska so I'm not in a huge hurry to go back, but I'd consider booking if they did a 12+ cruise and gave adults free reign over the kids clubs. :rotfl:

You're right....at 12+ for full vaccine, then Alaska would be a solid choice to restart.

You're right....at 12+ for full vaccine, then Alaska would be a solid choice to restart.

Do you really think that Disney would tell everyone with a child less than 12 that they're not welcome on the ship? For a questionable amount of revenue from one ship for a few months (including paying for the deadhead through the PC)?

I get what y'all are saying but Joe Average won't look at it that way. A good way to alienate potential customers.

Do you really think that Disney would tell everyone with a child less than 12 that they're not welcome on the ship? For a questionable amount of revenue from one ship for a few months (including paying for the deadhead through the PC)?

I get what y'all are saying but Joe Average won't look at it that way. A good way to alienate potential customers.
Adventures by Disney has plenty of adult exclusive dates. I’m not sure that DCL could make money on age 12+ sailings so I have no idea whether they’ll actually do it or not, but it’s hard for me to imagine much real (not manufactured) outrage when the public would perceive them as doing it solely for the sake of complying with government mandates.

Last edited:
Carnival announced that they are moving forward with Alaska cruises in July for fully vaccinated travelers (pending passage of the PVSA exemption):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/...land-america-set-for-alaska-july-cruises.html
I could be mistaken, but I think that this is the first (mostly) firm announcement about the resumption of cruising from US ports.
Technically, they don't need to announce anything if the existing cruises aren't removed - but this would be the first new sailings from the US ports this season. They are talking one ship from each of the brands for now.

Interestingly, the Carnival sailing on Sep 14 is an 8-nighter. That would run afoul of the current CDC CSO!

Does any reasonable person think Disney doesn’t want kids back on their ships ASAP?

DCL is doing the best they can with the hand they’ve been dealt by the U.S. government.

Anyone who’s angry at Disney about that is just looking for a reason to be angry.

I think DCL will find an effective way to communicate whatever their return to sailing will look like. The liability risks seem likely to dictate what the vaccination rules are for the initial sailings. They can’t risk having even a small outbreak. Maybe that means waiting to sail, maybe it means fully vaccinated to start. True DCL fans will still come back. It’s the best product for families with young children and I’m confident DCL will get the messaging right for their target demographic. Things seem to be moving quickly with Alaska, hopefully that is an indicator of other markets opening up soon as well.

It's possible if the bill is made into law, but I think it's unlikely that Disney will sail to Alaska this summer, even if they "could". Two of the primary reasons are:
  1. Alaska requires summer cruises & DCL probably won't want to be among the very first lines sailing this summer. Due to their safety-oriented branding, they'll likely want to watch & see how it goes with other lines first.
  2. The expense of sending the Wonder back and forth through the Panama Canal just for the benefit of a month or two of socially distanced (read: not full) Alaska sailings probably isn't worth it to them financially.

Does any reasonable person think Disney doesn’t want kids back on their ships ASAP?

DCL is doing the best they can with the hand they’ve been dealt by the U.S. government.

Anyone who’s angry at Disney about that is just looking for a reason to be angry.

As a business, I have a hard time imagining that Disney would pass on potential revenue.

Also, let’s look at it for another angle: any cruise, no matter who is on the ship, is bringing back other humans to work. Yes, indeed, it will be sad if young kids can’t be on the ship for a few weeks/months, but at least the ships will sail, people will work, data will be collected.

And who knows, maybe data will convince everyone that having young kids on board is not that dangerous if everyone else is vaccinated and they‘ll be allowed.

I'm not sure cruise lines are completely skipping these test cruises, rather, seeking to jumpstart cruised by having 98% of crew and 95% of passengers fully vaccinated.
They are currently asking for all guests to be vaccinated.

So I learned another interesting tidbit about the new potential cruises to Alaska. Seems that the state of Washington has a law (or possibly EO) preventing cruise ships with more than 250 passengers from sailing unless 95% or more are vaccinated. It's almost like the exact opposite of the situation in Florida. In Washington they couldn't do a test cruise if they wanted to. In FL, we can't do a vaccinated cruise if we wanted to.

Of course we see which strategy is paying out for the cruise industry. As of yesterday Alaskan cruises are officially resuming and here in Florida we're still waiting for information.

If DCL intends to do test cruises from Port Canaveral I hope they make a decision soon.

I still don't find it realistic because sailing from Seattle they have to contract a berth and suppliers. They have to modify itineraries to adapt to sailing from Seattle on a 7-night. Both likely change all sailing dates.

Then there is crewing the ship, and deadheading the PC. All for roughly 6 sailings.

I don't really follow where cruise ships have been hanging out....but are Carnival, Princess & Holland America ships all on the west coast already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter