TR! (5/13-5/17 @ the Dolphin)

KimM82

Earning My Ears
Hello again,
I am sorry for the delay in getting this trip report out. I meant to start it sooner while everything was fresh, but life got in the way! I am apologizing now, as I have to upload all the pictures, so this will be very text heavy. Little recap- My husband won this trip through work- all hotel and park tickets expenses paid, some meals at hotel, along with a meals per diem.

Monday, 5/13- Travel Day. Southwest from Manchester, NH to Orlando. Smooth sailing all day. Had a long layover in Baltimore, but gave us time to sit and eat breakfast. Arrived in Orlando right around 1:30ish? The ground logistics crew (360 something?) is a mess. There were 5 different people to check in with, and they had you sorted out from when/where your flight landed, we were getting mixed in with other groups. We had to wait about 1/2 hour for our bus to get to MCO, and then from there we were off to the Dolphin. We were dropped off at the convention center entrance, and they rolled out the blue carpet for us (company color). We were still a bit early for check in, and they didn't quite have a King room available for us (we did not want a double), so we were going to wait, but we were able to snag one that just opened. Room# 11085 on the east side. When we first got up there, I was nervous because it was across from the elevator bays, and right next to the housekeeping storage area. I never once heard the elevators, and only a few times did we hear the housekeeping crew. When we first walked into the room, it did smell quite musty and I was a little unhappy. I kept reminding myself that we're not paying for this, if it gets worse, maybe we'll say something, but this is literally all that they had at that moment. When I opened the blinds, I was taken aback! While directly in front of us was a roof and one of the big shells- to the right was the Tower of Terror, and to the left the big sign for the Boardwalk and waaay in the distance I could see the Eiffel tower on top of Remy's! What a view to just sit and stare at. I could literally be sitting in the bed and looking at ToT.
We took some time to unpack and figure out our night. DH Had to go register for the week and pick up our tickets and some swag that he was given. We ventured around the hotel and pool areas to get acclimated. That night, they were throwing a neon themed welcome party. It was supposed to be outside, but got moved to the hemisphere ballrooms. Food that night was incredible-- it was a like a mix of everything they served. I remember pretzel bites, pulled pork tacos, empanadas, and much more. We stayed for a little bit and then went over to Disney Springs. This whole week they were doing work on the Dolphin Bus area, so we had to walk over to the Swan and use those buses. It was really only a 5 minute walk. The only downside to these busses is that they drop you off waaayy on the west side, near Cirque de Soleil. The official Disney busses bring you to town center. We went to the Boathouse and were able to grab a seat at the bar. It was already close to 8pm, and I was exhausted and not that hungry. DH ordered 1/2 dozen oysters (from Duxbury, MA go figure). I know I Had the blue razz drink, and he had a martini? Quick bite, we popped into World of Disney, and then we were so tired that we just went back to hotel. I wanted to try some of the advice I've seen here about using the boardwalk bus back and then walk back to the Dolphin. In the end, we should have just walked back to our bus. Note-- The Dolphin lobby gets LOUD at night. Especially if there are numerous conventions/conferences going on. That was one thing I didn't like.

Tuesday 5/14. DH Had meetings all day and I had a free day to myself. We had breakfast at the hotel (provided by company). It was a buffet style- eggs, pancakes, yogurts, fresh fruit, pastries, coffees, and juices.
DH was off to meetings, I went back to room and go ready for the day. I ubered to the Vineland outlets as I wanted to hit the Character Warehouse. I was in line by 9:50. The line for the store wrapped around, but they let a whole lot of people in at once. At some points, you couldn't even move. There were a couple "personal shoppers" who were going live from the store. (I won't say much more, I got a lot of hate for complaining about them on FB). I found a couple things for my daughters and picked up a shirt for a friend back home that she had been looking for. I moseyed around for a couple hours, actually had a really good Poke bowl from the food court. I was getting ready to hit my last store, and then a typical Thunderstorm rolled through, so I waited that out a bit. After that, I ubered to Port Orleans French Quarter, because I wanted some of those Mickey Beignets. OMG! Those were soo good. We got them with the strawberry sauce. Delish!! I only ordered 3, I wish I got more, but I wasn't sure how long they'd keep.
This is where I confused myself. For some reason, I thought I could get on a skyliner from here. Nope. Wrong. Then I said, that's okay, I'll take a bus to Epcot and hop on a a friendship bus back to the hotel. Again, NOPE. I was in the front of EPCOT, with no park tickets and no way to get to International Gateway. From here, I just decided to take an uber back to hotel. The driver must have been new, because they took my ride while they were 15 minutes away on a different trip (I guess they were coming to Epcot anyways). I got back to hotel and decided to check out the pool. I went to one of the Dolphin ones, it wasn't one of the lap pools, but I was near the cabana hut. I tried the waterslide, and it was actually fun and that water was warm! The pool I was in was cold, but refreshing just for a quick dip to cool off. I hung out for a while while I waited for DH to finish his meetings and enjoyed a $17 drink!
For dinner, we went down to Kimono's. They don't do reservations, but it was not too busy. We LOVED it here. We started with drinks (I don't remember who had what!). For an app, we did the Wagyu beef skewers; they were VERY good! For Sushi, I got the Coconut Shrimp Tempura roll, DH Got an Ahi Tuna roll and then something else because it wasn't very big. We were happy with all of our choices.
After dinner, we took the boat over to the Boardwalk. We literally just walked around, checked out the stores. We stopped into Abracadabar. I just wasn't that impressed. I thought it would be more exciting, but the bartenders looked like they had no desire to be there. I have a tough time just sitting at a bar, that's not my vibe. We did order a charcuterie board which was delish!!! I wanted to go to Jelly Rolls, but DH was tired so we just went back to the hotel for the night and hung out. I think one of our Boston teams was playing, so we watched that.

To be continued.....

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter