Toys for Christmas right??? Not clothes... vent ahead..

Status
Not open for further replies.
do people usually not ask the parents of younger children what they would like? that way they know they aren't duplicating, etc?

Having missed the ensuing battle, I will offer my opinion on the actual question.
I never understood people that give toothbrushes, underwear, etc- the "practical" stuff as gifts just so the kid has more to open. Gifts should be gifts- not "they needed this anyway so lets wrap it up and we have one less thing to buy."

:thumbsup2

And to me it does, we'll just have to disagree. Even if she didn't, there's plenty in this thread to see that this has been nothing but a bunch of adults bashing the OP page upon page.

Also,I don't see where the OP controls what is given to her child, her SIL does obviously since she doesn't want clothes from Carters, The Children's Place or Walmart.

As far as the OP has said, she didn't tell the SIL to not get her child clothes, she just said she was surprised that she only got her clothes because she usually gives a toy as well.
Yes she did:
Is it just me or has something changed, but I have always felt that kids should get mostly toys for Christmas not clothes or hats etc...

My one SIL wanted to get my DD(5) Ugg boots this year and she would have except that I told her we have already taken care of her boots for this year so she asked what to get her and I said anything Barbie... she sent quite a few things directly from the store and explained that the gifts weren't wrapped, no problem. Good thing I said something because my other SIL (still my husband's side of the family) sent her gifts for my DD up to us with a family friend and since it was quite a few packages, I told DD she could open them. We won't be seeing his side of the family at all for Christmas and I figured that she would have a head start on playing with her new toys... well, she got all clothes and an ornament. My MIL also gave her an item of clothes, a holiday themed blanket for her bed (too small) and holiday cookie cutters. I was glad that she could at least open the Barbie things and have something to play with rather than fold and put away (especially since it was a special occasion that she could open them early.)

I know I have my issues with the in-laws and such but for a 5 year old, I thought this was a little ridiculous. I felt bad because she started to show the classic signs of "oh no, not more clothes" creeping out as she opened her gifts. Thankfully she will get her fair share of toys from my side this weekend.

Maybe I am focusing in on this too much but I would never buy a child over a year old clothes for Christmas unless it is my own child.

OK looking forward to seeing what others think..

The SIL (the one that apparently gives the clothes away) is the one who wanted to get the Uggs. OP said NO, get her Barbies. SIL complied and sent a big box.

OP also called the gifts from MIL and other SIL "ridiculous" - her words, not ours.

As for the snow globes - she said one niece collected them. When pressed about the other teens, they "like" them. And then, she is now getting them something different:

The two older nieces both love snow globes and collect them.

This year only one of them is getting a snow globe and the other is getting a couple of games that she has talked about with my DH and I in recent months. Everyone was told that we have the games covered so she doesn't end up with duplicates.

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse other posters of having a lack of reading comprehension. :rolleyes1

Or MAYBE...You can understand that if you are going to post a vent like ths in a public forum, that people are going to disagree with you.

You DO come across as ungrateful...Maybe you're not...Maybe you are...I personally don't care...Just saying.
>>>This :thumbsup2

Well, yes, to many here it is. As many people have the concept that people, including children, get, dare I say, "gifts" for Christmas.

However, if your notion is that kids should get piles of toys and that's that, as it apparently is, then own it

That's what you said originally, you said you were looking forward to hearing other people's opinions, and when those opinions were largely opposed to yours, you posted a whole thing totally contradicting your original post and basically saying everyone who disagreed with you were unable to understand, didn't get it, were making assumptions, etc., because, apparently, this alternate reality wasn't clear.
>>>I agree :thumbsup2

Excuse me but Cornflake said "y'all are nasty" and that is unacceptable, plus many have made it abundantly clear that you feel that I am some kind of a monster and my child is a diva in the making, none of you know me or my child who by the way is very well mannered. We both know that gifts are a blessing and to be appreciated but again as I have said before, I came here to vent about my child's family members getting all practical gifts for her and not a single toy, it seemed odd and a bit ridiculous to me since they clearly spent a good amount of money and yet a puzzle from the $1 store is one of her favorite things to have to keep her busy and entertained.

>>>Sorry OP, but right here you sound very spoiled and ungreatful. Havent you heard of the saying "its the thought that counts?"

:)

Having missed the ensuing battle, I will offer my opinion on the actual question.
I never understood people that give toothbrushes, underwear, etc- the "practical" stuff as gifts just so the kid has more to open. Gifts should be gifts- not "they needed this anyway so lets wrap it up and we have one less thing to buy."

My kids love that stuff. I don't know why. It's not like they don't have toothbrushes or underwear...but if I left that stuff out, I would hear about it.:laughing: In fact I just bought 3 pairs of Aeropostale underwear for DD's stocking today.

In my family and DH's family, we always wrapped practical things along with fun things. We expected it and so do our kids. Christmas isn't any less special. Some of the not-so-exciting things my kids are getting this year are a new binder for school because theirs need replacing, and a ream of paper each because they use it like it's water. I asked Santa for my very own 12 pack of Smirnoff Lemonade because DH drinks more than his fair share when we buy it, and some colored file folders for my office because I want them and I don't want my office to have to pay for them.

And really, couldn't almost any gift be considered practical in one way or another?

Yes she did:

The SIL (the one that apparently gives the clothes away) is the one who wanted to get the Uggs. OP said NO, get her Barbies. SIL complied and sent a big box.

Because she already bought her daughter boots.

OP also called the gifts from MIL and other SIL "ridiculous" - her words, not ours.

Rightly or wrongly, that's how she feels. It doesn't mean she is ungrateful.

As for the snow globes - she said one niece collected them. When pressed about the other teens, they "like" them. And then, she is now getting them something different:

Okay, so why is it a bad thing to get something one collects? She's giving the other niece something she wanted. Remind me why that's bad?

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse other posters of having a lack of reading comprehension. :rolleyes1

Yeah... okay. Refer to your first quote. :rolleyes:

Rightly or wrongly, that's how she feels. It doesn't mean she is ungrateful.

Really? You're grateful for gifts you consider "ridiculous"?

No matter how you try to interpret things in a favourable light for the OP, her first post made it clear that she did not think that the gifts were appropriate or worthy of being Christmas presents.

One doesn't vent (see thread title) about things if one is just "a little surprised". One vents when one is angry about the situation.

moral of the story:

There really is not a way to complain about the presents your in-laws give your kids - especially something like Ugg boots and other things that show the giver didn't just run out to WalMart and pull from the discount clearance bins - without making it look like you're attempting to raise the next Dudley Dursley.

Go have some egg nog and relax. Your child will survive to atrocious assault upon their psyche caused from having to unwrap clothes as presents.

I guess depends on your expectations & what you were brought up with. Getting an assortment of toys, clothes & practical items sounds NORMAL to me. :confused3 Your SILs & MIL sent at least 6 items. You expected ALL of them to be toys? Like a pp said, how many toys does a 5 year old NEED? It also depends on the expectations you teach your child to have. As this seems to be normal for your DH's family, she needs to be taught to expect a mixture of items along with toys.

Also, it a downturned economy, where people have been out of work for a year or more, getting 6 presents at all for a child would be heaven. A little gratitude might be in order for what you do have & the family you/DH has and is able to provide. Unless you are affluent and have a lot of money to throw away, getting clothes DD can wear for the upcoming season is practical, versus a toy she will grow tired of in a few weeks. I assume your in-laws think you & DH will be giving DD a toy or two. They are filling in with other items most people need, that the parents appreciate, if not the children.

My kids would have loved to get presents from someone besides DH and myself. My family can't afford presents for their own kids, let alone anyone else's. DD1 would get gifts from her father's family, while DD2 and DS never get anything from DH's family (they just don't care).

My kids do get clothes for Christmas from us--every year, a pair or slippers/slipper socks and pjs. They may also get some other items, like the girls high school letterman jackets or a shirt for DS of his favorite superhero. Would they rather have toys (for the little one) or electronic gifts (older ones)? Sure. But they also know that gifts are given from the heart, and appreciate the thought.

Go have some egg nog and relax. Your child will survive to atrocious assault upon their psyche caused from having to unwrap clothes as presents.

:lmao:

For some reason I just had 2 movie scenes run throguh my mind...

1st-Child gets box from SIL...Starts having an anxiety attack, "Oh God...What's int he box?!"

2nd-Mother(the child grown up) pushes a shopping cart, filled to the brim out of Toys R Us...Stops in front of the store are does the Scarlet thing, "As God as my witness...We'll never get clothes AGAIN!"

(I'm a little off today...you'll have to excuse me)

In my family and DH's family, we always wrapped practical things along with fun things. We expected it and so do our kids. Christmas isn't any less special. Some of the not-so-exciting things my kids are getting this year are a new binder for school because theirs need replacing, and a ream of paper each because they use it like it's water. I asked Santa for my very own 12 pack of Smirnoff Lemonade because DH drinks more than his fair share when we buy it, and some colored file folders for my office because I want them and I don't want my office to have to pay for them.

And really, couldn't almost any gift be considered practical in one way or another?

Every year I get an accordion file to pay all my bills, I love it!

DS8 has asked for a binder and a notebook (I got him a Phineas and Ferb one and Phila Eagles one, but he would be happy with a plain balck and white one) I like the ream of paper idea too bc he is constantly taking from the stack next to the computer.

I always asked for notebooks and such to play school, or college course organizer (I loved getting the community college brochure and playing that I had to organize what classes my stuffed animals or Nancy Drew or Barbie had to take:lovestruc):lmao:

I always asked for notebooks and such to play school, or college course organizer (I loved getting the community college brochure and playing that I had to organize what classes my stuffed animals or Nancy Drew or Barbie had to take:lovestruc):lmao:

DDs loved to play school when they were younger (still do sometimes). They had a whole classroom set up in the playroom. One Christmas many gifts were school-related: a big whiteboard, a set of mailboxes, bulletin board things, a job chart, certificates they could fill out for their students. There was an entire classroom of imaginary students with names such as Acorta and Jhon. There was an attendance sheet and a grade book, they made up assignments for them. It made for hours and hours of entertainment. Good times!

1st-Child gets box from SIL...Starts having an anxiety attack, "Oh God...What's int he box?!"

2nd-Mother(the child grown up) pushes a shopping cart, filled to the brim out of Toys R Us...Stops in front of the store are does the Scarlet thing, "As God as my witness...We'll never get clothes AGAIN!"

OMG!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I can just hear music, like from the movie Psycho, with your first scenario!!!!

This thread is really getting too funny!!!!

Seriously people, I think there are a lot of us who could use some seriously spiked eggnog right now!!!!

There have been a couple of other little threads lately that have gone 'viral', with pages and pages of 'hatin' going on on both sides...

Methinks that a lot of folks are channeling their own holiday frustrations here on the DIS!!!

One CAN be thankful for gifts that, in reality, they think are ridiculous...
The Jeafl thread, anyone!!!!!

Sorry, but an excited (anxious and over-excited, just a few days before the big night.....) little young kid, who sees a bunch of wonderful, bright, beautiful, colorful, wrapped Christmas presents with ribbons and tags and bows.... shows a bit of disappointment when they all contain clothing, which is obviously not what is going to float her boat.... does not a Veruca Salt make.

And, while I can agree that the mother needs to be more focused on being happy and thankful.... I am not thinking that she is totally psycho either. (she REALLY needs to learn that it is not always all about her, and what she thinks others should gift to her daughter.... and never, ever, look a gift horse in the mouth... you are entitled to your feelings and your opinions... but the inlaws are in no way obligated to be controlled by her wishes and/or opinions.)

Bottom line, it is not like she called the SIL and reamed her out....

Really people.... Let this go.... fingers away from the keyboard.... fingers away from the keyboard.... go have an eggnog, or a cookie, or something!!!! :santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter