Touring in an RV..

belly_uk

Earning My Ears
Hi all..

Please excuse my ignorance with matters like this... We're looking to plan a holiday next year in the US using an RV (as you call them). So, we'd pick one up, plan a route and go.
Due to the size on England and the fact that continental Europe don't like to speak English we've never done this before. Anyway, as a broad question, is it easy to find places to park an RV over night? Would you need to book in advance or can you just stop in a layby or something? Any help pointer, gratefully appreciated, we're at early stages of planning..

Thanks,

Graham

Hi,

Generally speaking, I would say you could wing it most of the time. Unless it's of course a holiday or peak season or something like that. But, as far as Disney's campground goes...you'll need to make reservations in advance. Most weekends are filled-up with Florida Residents through-out the year, so mid-week is a better time to find a cancellation if you need to stay last minute. I always say book at least three months in advance for a campsite and you should have no problem with availablity at Disney...unless it's a holiday and then book 6mo. to a year in advance (I.e. Thanksgiving, New years, etc).

Mmketeer

Graham,

Come on over! I think you and your family will really enjoy the holiday and you will fit in well. There is much to see and do here. And we all speak our version of English. I can't think of a better way to see the country than by RV.

RV's are for rent in most parts of the country so you are able to pick them up at just about any starting destination. Commercial RV parks are available in all parts of the country. Prices range from - I don't want anyone to see me here - to - do you think we have enough money to drive in the gate. The best source for information on campgrounds is "Trailer Life Directory" and "Woodall's Directory". Both books have directions, amenities, ratings, last year's prices and other information for nearly every campground in the country. Your local book store should be able to get one (they both have the same information) for you, also the books probably have a web site. Another source of campgrounds is State and Federal Parks. These will be, for the most part, rural and the sites will be larger and wooded. Some people spend the night at highway rest stops or store parking lots. I don't recommend this because when traveling you never know what type of area you may be in and I don't consider this safe.

In the years of Rving we have never had trouble finding a place to stay for the night. But, for destination locations such as Disney, Las Vagas, Grand Canyon and such, you will need reservations because everybody and his brother wants to be there, too.

For another source of information, log onto irv2.com, that is a web site which is set up similar to this except everyone just talks about RVing. Feel free to e-mail me at Poohstyx@Frontiernet.net for more information.

Jim

I just wanted to say welcome and that an RV is the best way to see the US as well as meet the nicest people. Do you know what parts of the country you would like to visit? Keep in mind there is a lot to see and driving from one place to another can be really far. For example from where I am in the mid-west to Orlando will take about 15 hours drive time. There is a really good site, someone will know it for sure but I think it is, " Your Personalized Trip", that gives driving directions. Definately get a Woodall's or Trailer Life. You will have a great vacation.:D

The advice that "Cold Iron" gave you about campground directories is quite sound. Since you posted on a Disney forum, I assume you are interested in including a week or so at Fort Wilderness in your plans. If you want to stay at Fort Wilderness you willl certainly need to make reservations well in advance. As for "laybys", many RVers in the U.S. enjoy "boondocking" (staying at an Interstate highway rest stop or WalMart for no cost). The problem with this practice is that there is some risk involved, and it is illegal in some states. If you are planning a New York, or Baltimore, or Philadelphia arrival followed by a drive to Florida, you will save a paltry sum, as compared to what you will be spending for your trip, by not staying in a legitimate campground. A typical "layby" at a KOA will cost about $30, and you will have no security concerns. Their website includes a complete directory and instructions for making reservations (http://www.koa.com/). If you are not familiar with KOA, they are the McDonalds (as in the hamburger company) of American camping--never excellent, never terrible, but pretty good for the money.

If you would like more specific information about camping between New York and Florida, please e-mail me at davenprt@bellatlantic.net.

Thanks for all the info, it's very useful.
The thinking behind the trip really started because this Christmas we're going to Fort Wilderness, but staying in one of the log cabins. We hadn't really appreciated the RV style of holiday until we were looking into the facilities available at FW and were surprised to see camping etc available, at Disney!. So then we start to plan (or at least gather info) on the Great American Tour!! The problems aer really 2 fold, firstly deciding exactly what we'd like to see (its a large country after all) and secondly, making sure we're fully prepared and understand exactly what we're undertaking.

So, thanks again for the help, it's given me a good starting point and made me aware of somethings I wasn't previously aware of..

It depends on what you want to see but I would try to reserve campsites for the places you would really like to see. Disney, Ft. Pickens State Park near Pensacola FL (on the Gulf) is a great beach... white sand, no hotels for miles, a short walk to the beach, then up to the Great Smoky Mountains, beautiful streams mountains (highest mountain 6,500') It is a l o n g drive to the west (Colorado) but it is gorgeous. Rocky Moutain National Park is busy so are the campgrounds. Many states do not allow overnight parking with RV. If you do park for a couple hours to sleep, park near lights and in a restpark where there are other vehicles.
Let me know if I can help with other places in Midwest, west...
TomM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter