• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tough rides for Pooh-sized people?

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
My sister is a lady of size, and planning a trip with her DD to DLR in the spring.

She's wondering what rides are more difficult for extra-Pooh-sized people. (She's a bit more than just the typical Pooh-sized visitor.)

Does she have knee/mobility issues too?

I would think rides like Space Mountain or Splash (my mom is not a thrill seeker) where you are kind of cramped and have to get out would be bad.

Alice I believe she would be better in the front seat.

This is for WDW but gives you an idea of what most look like.

http://allears.net/tp/gal_ride.htm

Probably any ride with a "set" seat for each person would be difficult for someone of extra "Pooh" size. Off the top of my head the following rides have individual seats:
DL:
Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain (but the seats are front to back, so if the problem is side issues she might be alright), Mattahorn Bobsleds (these are also front to back, but the new cars are tighter than the previous), Submarines, Space Mountain, Star Tours
DCA: Soarin', Screamin', goofy Sky school, Swings, Jumpin Jellyfish,ToT

These seats are probably about the size of seats on a plane, so if she has a hard time fitting into a plane seat, these would probably not accommodate her either.

RSR and Gadget coaster don't have their own seats per se like these other rides, but may be difficult.

The ride I have a problem with is Goofy's Sky School. And it is more my knees than anything.

Nemo, I simply comment to the loader I would be more comfortable with 2 seats (so I am not encroaching into other's space.)

A lot depends on where she is "Pooh sized". If she carries a lot in her top half, Screamin' might be a problem as the safety bar can cause some to feel uncomfortable. If she is larger in the lower half, a big thing to remember is to pull out safety belts before sitting down.

The seats in the back row on Star Tours are a bit wider than the ones in the front rows. I'm pooh sized, and I always request the back row on that ride. As far as rides which might be uncomfortable, Dumbo is gonna be difficult, as is Goofy's Sky School.

Does she have knee/mobility issues too?

No knee or "medical" mobility issues, per say, other than the possible limits of endurance because of her size. I recommended that she think about an ECV just to make things easier on her, because of how much walking is done. I could see her overdoing it early on, and being in pain the rest of the trip.

Nemo, I simply comment to the loader I would be more comfortable with 2 seats (so I am not encroaching into other's space.)

A lot depends on where she is "Pooh sized". If she carries a lot in her top half, Screamin' might be a problem as the safety bar can cause some to feel uncomfortable. If she is larger in the lower half, a big thing to remember is to pull out safety belts before sitting down.

I'll let her know that there's times she can ask for 2 seats--that may make things MUCH easier! She carries her weight right around her middle--enough so that I'm sure Screamin' won't be a possibility. I'm wondering now, if there's a way to tell how far out the seat belts go. Anyone know? As long as a regular car seat belt?

Do we have anyone who can speak directly to RSR, MJJ, and Luigi's Flying Tires in CL now that they're open? I thought Luigi looked like it was good for everyone, but really could not tell about RSR. Is it a flat bench for the two rows in the vehicles, or are their individual bucket seats?

No problem with Luigi. It's one big seat that can accommodate upto 3 people. RSR is not individual bucket seats, but there's a bit of a "contour" to the seats. MJJ shouldn't be a problem. It's just a bench seat with a very large seatbelt that can go across 2 people in the seat--like Dumbo but with more room.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride cars are for two people, but there isn't a lot of room between you and the lap bar. That one might be a bit tough and getting through the inside que is also a little cramped (especially near the turnstile).

Another ride that isn't really problem in terms of the seat size, but might be a bit embarrassing for pooh-sized guests is Storybook Canal boats. If the weight is not distributed right, they have a distinct tilt as they float along.

I am not a really large person, but am about 30 lbs overweight.
I can get onto all the rides quite easily, but I have problems lifting myself up out of IASW, POTC, and Splash. I always make sure that someone in my party gets out first and then turns and holds my hand as I get out. This really helps.

For the Winnie the Pooh ride, request the FRONT seats. There is more room to maneuver there. It's good for those who are bigger, and those with knee/joint problems.

The seatbelts on rides are really long. The trick for seatbelt rides is to pull it ALL the way out, while still standing, and THEN sit down and buckle. For some reason it makes it so much easier than doing it all while seated.

AstroOrbiter is awkward, Sky School can't be done by my husband b/c his legs are like tree trunks and can't get down low enough to allow the bar to come down.

That's all Ic an think of right now...

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride cars are for two people, but there isn't a lot of room between you and the lap bar. That one might be a bit tough and getting through the inside que is also a little cramped (especially near the turnstile).

I'm 6' 4" with very long legs. When we were getting on Mr. Toad the ride operator lowered the bar and attempted to start the ride before I was even in my seat! I had just put my 2 toddlers in the front and was pulling my left leg into the car when he lowered the bar. I had to yell at him to stop because I could no longer bend my knee to pull my leg in. It was sticking straight out like a kickstand! He was very apologetic obviously and it didn't ruin my fun. As a taller person I also have to be mindful of tight spaces and I had similar issues getting into most Fantasyland rides because it's tricky getting my long legs into the seats.

The Matterhorn bobsleds are now individual seats with 3 seats per car and 2 cars coupled together. I think it would be difficult for a person of size to ride the matterhorn. The seats are the same level as where you put your feet. There are indentations to put your feet beside the seat in front of you, but not much room. A tall person will have his/her knees almost to their chin. I'm 5'9 and had trouble sitting in the back seat, but the middle seat was better.

How Pooh sized is she? I was over 100lbs overweight for our last trip. I am 5'2 and weighed around 240. I had no problem riding any rides. May have been a little squishy on my stomach with the lap bars a few times but nothing I couldn't ride.

Can't wait for this trip to Disney as I have lost a good bit of weight(and am hoping to lose about 30-40 more before October).

I highly recommend renting an ECV. It does depend upon how fast the rest of the party is used to moving, but one time my husband wore a pedometer and found that he had walked 11 MILES in one day. It can be several miles if you are covering just one park for the day. That, along with standing in long lines can be tiresome.

I just took 2 very Pooh sized friends to Disneyland. He is 425 lbs and she is 277 lbs. They successfully rode Grizzly River Run, Soarin Over California, Pirates of the Carribean, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain (he was in the back seat which seemed to have more room), Star Tours and Indiana Jones. Now, were they both comfortable in every ride? NO. But they rode anyway, squished into some of the seatbelts. My friends were just about in pain after riding Indiana Jones actually, so I would avoid it. We waited to ride Matterhorn only to get a closer view of the new seating and realize there would just be no leg room for my friends at all, so we got out of line.

If you want to avoid any last minute issues with seat belts not fitting after waiting for a ride, I would suggest: Pirates and Big Thunder for sure. Pirates there are no constraints. Big Thunder just a lap bar. It's a Small World is another great and often overlooked ride.

She can enjoy Submarine Voyage (Finding Nemo) in the alternative viewing area for those in ECVS and you can either take the ECV in or leave it just outside and sit on the bench they have in there.

There are so many more things to Disney than just the rides. If she has an ECV, even the seating in inside theaters would not be a problem because she could sit int he ECV if she would like. I am talking about DCA Aladdin, DCA Bugs Life, DCA Muppet Show, and Disneyland Captain EO.

There are all the parades and street shows, the food, atmosphere. The street vehicles on Main Street, Great Moments w/Mr.Lincoln, shopping and so much more. Hope this helps.

I understand the worries about being Pooh-sized. I am a size 18 and tall as well..:scared1: but I can say that I can fit on every ride. As mentioned before, watch where you sit on Pooh and Goofy's Sky School is a tight fit (although I think it is a lot of fun and will ride it again on my next trip! ) the other ride that I feel I can barely fit on is the Tuck and Roll bumper cars in BugsLand. They have a lap bar that fits really snug against the stomach. I don't think she will have many problems at all! :thumbsup2

Do we have anyone who can speak directly to RSR, MJJ, and Luigi's Flying Tires in CL now that they're open? I thought Luigi looked like it was good for everyone, but really could not tell about RSR. Is it a flat bench for the two rows in the vehicles, or are their individual bucket seats?

I'm 6'2 and 380 pounds, I got in to MJJ no problem, RSR is just like Indiana Jones. It has Bucket seats and it is tight, but I made it. The Tip about pulling out the belt first then sitting works well, that's what I did.

I am 5'3" and quite pooh size - carrying most of it in the lower half. I sat in the back of splash mountain and found it very squishy, it was the only ride I had problems getting out of. I was not comfortable on goofy's skyschool they had to really push the bar down. The teacups was also tight, but the ladybugs were not.

I have not tried the symphony swings, screaming over california, gadget co-coaster, or the golden zypher, carsland rides or the new matterhorn.

I'm 5'4 and wear a 22/24 so I'm a pretty good pooh size. I've never had a problem with any rides at DL or DCA. Goofy's Sky School was the only one I probably wouldn't go on again, because while I did fit in it at the beginning, I felt like I was going pop out during the ride. Some of the Fantasyland rides are a tight squeeze, but not just fine for the short amount of time you're in them. I haven't been on the new Matterhorn yet, but we have done Carsland with no problems. I've heard different answers about the Swings having a weight limit. When I asked a CM working there, he said there wasn't one and as long as you fit in the swing all was good. I've been on it several times and never broke anything yet. I've seen at least one user on these boards say the weight limit was 250, but I don't know where they got that info from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter