Total shoulder replacement surgery

Hopefully

DIS Veteran
i am scheduled for this procedure in mid July.
Anyone have had it done?
Any tips for coping postop?
I will have my right arm in a sling for the first 3 weeks. Start PT at 6 weeks.
I am getting pretty nervous

I have a friend who had it done, and she had a hard time finding a doctor to do it. The reason is a low success rate, because people don't faithfully do the exercises. She was a star at PT, and her result was excellent. So be a star, that's my tip.

I’m a PT so I’ll offer some advice. Start practicing some daily tasks with your Left hand such as brushing your teeth, eating and dressing. It’s good for your brain...value added ;)Every MD has his/her own protocol on starting PT some as soon as week 1! Most of my patients find that their pain is minimal compared to how the shoulder felt pre op. Be realistic about what you expect from the results. Full ROM might not be achieved but you should get pretty good function back for for daily life with much less pain! Sometimes sleeping is tricky right away. Use extra pillows to support your arm from behind. People find that it hurst to lay flat as gravity pulls their arm back. You don’t want your elbow to pass the front of your body. Good luck!

My late mom had both replaced many years back, in the late 1960's or early 1970's, when they first started with total shoulder replacements. She did quite well. I had a knee replacement 4 years ago. PT is so very important for good results. Best wishes

Having had 2 knee replacements I can recommend doing the PT religiously. If you can, strengthen the bad shoulder as much as you can prior to surgery. Finally, do not allow the pain to get ahead of you post-op. Take the pain meds as prescribed and don't try to be a hero. Also, ice it as much as possible. Better yet, hope they give you an ice machine.

My 70 year old mom just had double knee replacement on Tue. It's been a rough go. My tip is to do exercises now and until surgery and really work hard at the the PT after surgery doing everything they tell you.

see if you can get insurance to pre op purchase a kodiak ice pack machine. my nieghbor got one when he had a shoulder replacement and loaned it to me for knee surgery. it is the most awsome way to keep an area iced-you can sleep with the thing on and running. if insurance won't cover it they run about $250 and are well worth the investment.

neighbor also borrowed a recliner/lift chair but again, i've known some people to get one purchased under insurance. it helped to get him into a standing position when he was'nt able to use both arms to lift from seated.

remember that when you are given pain MANAGEMENT meds-MANAGE the pain, don't wait till the pain is so bad that you are suffering. the idea is to keep the pain manageable so you can do the p/t for recovery.

Knee replacements are way more painful than the shoulder! Make sure she uses her pain meds! Pain control is extremely important!
Seriously, most of my shoulder replacement patients have minimal pain!

I had a total regular (not reverse) right shoulder replacement on Monday Oct. 10, 2016 at age 66 after living with bone on bone for years. Purchase of Ice Machine was required before surgery. Tuesday Oct. 11 the sling was removed by PT, stitching checked, had me relax arm as he gently moved it then had me move my arm within a restricted range. I was encouraged to move my arm within the restricted range of motion and could even brush teeth with my Sonicare. PT started a week later, no pain meds other than a couple of acetaminophen first 24 hours.

Not full shoulder, but 2 labral tear, and with the 2nd a bicep tenodesis added in as well, surgeries for my teenage son.

He did PT ahead of the surgeries to prep, and started PT 3 weeks after surgery. Within a week, he was doing pendulum swings, etc just to avoid frozen shoulder. His problem was, as a teen athlete who thinks he knows better than everyone, he went too fast and ended up pulling the anchor out of his bicep repair so now he needs a 3rd surgery to reattach it. We have so far opted not to have it done. His serious athlete days are over, for now, and it's not affecting his day too day life (he even played his final season of HS lacrosse with it detached) so I'm not spending another $25k to fix it.

After surgery, the first week is probably the hardest. Ice machines are a lifesaver, as is sleeping/relaxing in a recliner. Follow the Dr instructions and wear the sling for as long as they tell you too! (My son didn't....see above).

It is a painful recovery, but the injury before surgery pain is painful too, so my son said he was so used to the pain before that the post op pain wasn't much worse. He took narcotics for about 48 hours after surgery then switched to tylenol. He does have a high pain tolerance lol...he played through a season and a half of varsity high school football with two torn shoulders. Surgery/recovery/PT was a cakewalk after that, but then again, he was in just about the best shape a person can be in at 16/17 years old and a two-sport varsity athlete so I'm sure that helped!

Recovery will go faster than you think. Make sure you keep all of your PT appointments! And do your home exercises. Good luck!

Last edited:
My husband did not have a shoulder replacement, but tore all 3 of his shoulder ligaments in a mountain bike accident a few years back. His shoulder was totally detached from his collar bone. His dr said surgery was optional, so he went with physical therapy.

His therapist only worked on shoulders and it was brutal. The therapist said that most shoulder patients don’t regain full use of their shoulder after surgery because they don’t do their physical therapy because it is just too painful.

My husband did the physical therapy religiously and regained full use of the shoulder.

I’m a PT so I’ll offer some advice. Start practicing some daily tasks with your Left hand such as brushing your teeth, eating and dressing. It’s good for your brain...value added ;)Every MD has his/her own protocol on starting PT some as soon as week 1! Most of my patients find that their pain is minimal compared to how the shoulder felt pre op. Be realistic about what you expect from the results. Full ROM might not be achieved but you should get pretty good function back for for daily life with much less pain! Sometimes sleeping is tricky right away. Use extra pillows to support your arm from behind. People find that it hurst to lay flat as gravity pulls their arm back. You don’t want your elbow to pass the front of your body. Good luck!

My son is a 2018 HS graduate and will be entering college in the fall as a PT major. His career inspiration is due the amazing physical therapists that worked with him on his shoulder injuries :) Thank you for everything you do for your patients! You will have one more joining your ranks in 7 years!

see if you can get insurance to pre op purchase a kodiak ice pack machine. my nieghbor got one when he had a shoulder replacement and loaned it to me for knee surgery. it is the most awsome way to keep an area iced-you can sleep with the thing on and running. if insurance won't cover it they run about $250 and are well worth the investment.

neighbor also borrowed a recliner/lift chair but again, i've known some people to get one purchased under insurance. it helped to get him into a standing position when he was'nt able to use both arms to lift from seated.

remember that when you are given pain MANAGEMENT meds-MANAGE the pain, don't wait till the pain is so bad that you are suffering. the idea is to keep the pain manageable so you can do the p/t for recovery.

The ice machine we have for our son was $150 - we did have to pay out of pocket for it, but it was well worth it and wasn't *required* to have been bought from them like they sometimes present it to you. (for both his surgeries, the ice machine cost was added into the estimate like it was a given we would be buying one/theirs. You don't have to....you can shop around, or borrow one if you know someone who has one) If you are going to use one, they ask you to bring it to the hospital and they will usually put it on you after surgery. Then when you get home, you just fill the bottom part with ice and water, attach the hose, and you are good to go!

Just had my left reverse shoulder replacement and right shoulder replacement was done in June 2013. I’m 4 weeks post op, going back to work next Wednesday and I’m religiously doing the rehab which is pretty minimal for weeks 3-6. One night in hospital definitely easier in non dominant hand. Hardest things to do with one hand, pulling up pants, putting on bra etc. Also I slept in a recliner for the first couple of weeks. Wear sling til week 6 all the time. It has been a very good decision for me as the pain experienced before surgery was horrendous. Now feeling great in right shoulder and left getting better every day. Good luck and don’t be nervous, it is worth it.

I have been practicing brushing my teeth with my left hand. Hadn’t thought about eating. Will do that. Bought elastic waist shorts so hopefully I can get them up. Thought front button blouses my DH could help me with would be better than jersey.
MD said passive ROM - dangling moving wrist etc right away.
I am worried about sleeping. I don’t have a recliner but I have a wedge I used after neck surgery.
MD did tell me after incisional pain subsides, I would actually feel relief since I am in such pain now.
Thanks for your reply

I have been practicing brushing my teeth with my left hand. Hadn’t thought about eating. Will do that. Bought elastic waist shorts so hopefully I can get them up. Thought front button blouses my DH could help me with would be better than jersey.
MD said passive ROM - dangling moving wrist etc right away.
I am worried about sleeping. I don’t have a recliner but I have a wedge I used after neck surgery.
MD did tell me after incisional pain subsides, I would actually feel relief since I am in such pain now.
Thanks for your reply
Sounds like you’re on the right path! Blouses will work...put the surgical arm in first. T-shirt’s are fine too, you might want them to be slightly big. You put your surgical arm in first then pull it over your head. Something else to practice now! Some people sleep on the couch or recliner but you don’t have too! The wedge may work but you’ll still want some pillows behind your arm. Good luck!
My son is a 2018 HS graduate and will be entering college in the fall as a PT major. His career inspiration is due the amazing physical therapists that worked with him on his shoulder injuries :) Thank you for everything you do for your patients! You will have one more joining your ranks in 7 years!
Congratulations! Is he in a direct admit program? It’s hard work but worth it. It is a great career with so many opportunities. It’s great to work with people and make such an impact on their lives.

I had a total shoulder several years ago. Two things stick out in my mind. After just a few weeks I was amazed at the pain relief without meds or an ice machine and the second is that I only went to a PT once to learn three exercises. I do those exercises religiously, and all I need is my green stretchy band. Obviously YMMV.

The most difficult task post op was personal hygiene using my off hand after toileting. Start practicing ASAP . . .

I was not able to sleep comfortably laying in bed - even propping up on pillows. A recliner did the trick. I think my stitches came out at about two weeks. That's when the doc had me ditch the sling except when out in public - then it was to warn people off, not for immobilization or support.

Recovery from surgery for torn labrum and reattaching the bicep was way more difficult and painful that replacement.

Just had my left reverse shoulder replacement and right shoulder replacement was done in June 2013. I’m 4 weeks post op, going back to work next Wednesday and I’m religiously doing the rehab which is pretty minimal for weeks 3-6. One night in hospital definitely easier in non dominant hand. Hardest things to do with one hand, pulling up pants, putting on bra etc. Also I slept in a recliner for the first couple of weeks. Wear sling til week 6 all the time. It has been a very good decision for me as the pain experienced before surgery was horrendous. Now feeling great in right shoulder and left getting better every day. Good luck and don’t be nervous, it is worth it.
Hi Kathy. Thanks for posting. I am scheduled for this procedure soon by the same surgeon that did my other shoulder (successful prosthetic rotator cuff 2015). I am 74 male. I hope you are still happy and healthy and look forward to your response.

Hi Kathy. Thanks for posting. I am scheduled for this procedure soon by the same surgeon that did my other shoulder (successful prosthetic rotator cuff 2015). I am 74 male. I hope you are still happy and healthy and look forward to your response.
Yes I am doing great and currently have no need to see my shoulder surgeon ever again. Hope your procedure and experience is similar to mine. Good luck!

I need a reverse shoulder replacement, and am glad to read how well you are doing!

Did not realize how old this thread is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter