Tortola Forest & Beach Excursion -- Anyone done it??

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
I searched A LOT and couldn't really find anything on this one. I have this booked for now, and would love any feedback at all. We are first-time cruisers, with a 9yo and 11yo at the time we sail in Mar/Apr.

Thanks!!! :)

I searched A LOT and couldn't really find anything on this one. I have this booked for now, and would love any feedback at all. We are first-time cruisers, with a 9yo and 11yo at the time we sail in Mar/Apr.

Thanks!!! :)
Has no one done this? :(

Is it relatively new?? DISers know EVERYTHING!!! :)

We are doing this in a couple weeks. I can let you know then....:) You may have to remind me though!!

We are doing this in a couple weeks. I can let you know then....:) You may have to remind me though!!
Hi there, @Evad! I thought there might be a chance that you might be back, so I thought I'd check in. Hope you had an AWESOME time, and I'd love to hear about this excursion if you did it...! :)

Hey there, @Evad!! We are heading out on our cruise this Saturday!! I wanted to check in and see if you had done this after all, and if you have any feedback on it. Hope you had an AMAZING time!!!! :)

Hey there, @Evad!! We are heading out on our cruise this Saturday!! I wanted to check in and see if you had done this after all, and if you have any feedback on it. Hope you had an AMAZING time!!!! :)

Did you end up doing the forest and beach? I'm planning our 2017 cruise and this is one of the excursions that I cannot find any information on!

My family and I ( Boys 14, 14 and 12 and my wife) did the forest and beach hike while in Tortola on 4/6. The guide was really good, however he didn't have much to work with. We boarded the open air bus near the pier for the trip up the mountain. The roads are CRAZY, narrow and lots of hairpin turns, where they blew their horns to make sure they didn't hit another car going around the corner. The views were amazing on the way up and on the way down, and there were stops along the way for pictures and to take in the view. Really beautiful.

The hike portion of the trip was really bad though. We pulled into a parking lot near the top of the mountain. After our group gathered, we proceeded on our hike. Picture a hike basically up hill on a narrow path not more than 2 feet wide, with ruts, roots, rocks etc. It is a wonder no one twisted an ankle. I came close a few times. Seriously, it was like an abandoned trail. The hike lasted about 45 minutes on the way up to an observation "deck" with a broken step you had to climb over to get up to the observation area. I am surprised the deck was still standing, and there appeared to be debris from a previous deck off to the side. After our view from the top of the mountain, we continued to hike, through a marginally nicer trail eventually winding up at a gravel access road, with lots of muddy spots, that lead back to the restaurant/store/bar that appeared to be a former house, near where we parked for our complimentary rum punch or soft drink. The building was dilapidated, there was no running water in the rest rooms, and the bar facility cleanliness was questionable.

We boarded the bus once again for the downhill drive to the beach. The beach was a typical tourist beach, and we were able to select a beach chair that had a ribbon on it. There is restaurant/bar and some trinket sellers at the beach. They also rent umbrellas that are already set up, but if you try to open them, they will come over and try to charge you for them, if you decline, they take the umbrella away. After about 1 hour on the beach we boarded the bus to head back to the pier.

As I mentioned, the guide/driver was great, knowledgeable and had a good personality, he just was really limited with what he had to do to make the hike portion appealing and fun.

Did you end up doing the forest and beach? I'm planning our 2017 cruise and this is one of the excursions that I cannot find any information on!
YES!

My family and I ( Boys 14, 14 and 12 and my wife) did the forest and beach hike while in Tortola on 4/6. The guide was really good, however he didn't have much to work with. We boarded the open air bus near the pier for the trip up the mountain. The roads are CRAZY, narrow and lots of hairpin turns, where they blew their horns to make sure they didn't hit another car going around the corner. The views were amazing on the way up and on the way down, and there were stops along the way for pictures and to take in the view. Really beautiful.

The hike portion of the trip was really bad though. We pulled into a parking lot near the top of the mountain. After our group gathered, we proceeded on our hike. Picture a hike basically up hill on a narrow path not more than 2 feet wide, with ruts, roots, rocks etc. It is a wonder no one twisted an ankle. I came close a few times. Seriously, it was like an abandoned trail. The hike lasted about 45 minutes on the way up to an observation "deck" with a broken step you had to climb over to get up to the observation area. I am surprised the deck was still standing, and there appeared to be debris from a previous deck off to the side. After our view from the top of the mountain, we continued to hike, through a marginally nicer trail eventually winding up at a gravel access road, with lots of muddy spots, that lead back to the restaurant/store/bar that appeared to be a former house, near where we parked for our complimentary rum punch or soft drink. The building was dilapidated, there was no running water in the rest rooms, and the bar facility cleanliness was questionable.

We boarded the bus once again for the downhill drive to the beach. The beach was a typical tourist beach, and we were able to select a beach chair that had a ribbon on it. There is restaurant/bar and some trinket sellers at the beach. They also rent umbrellas that are already set up, but if you try to open them, they will come over and try to charge you for them, if you decline, they take the umbrella away. After about 1 hour on the beach we boarded the bus to head back to the pier.

As I mentioned, the guide/driver was great, knowledgeable and had a good personality, he just was really limited with what he had to do to make the hike portion appealing and fun.
We DID end up doing this on 3/29, and I'd say that the above post sounds about right to me, too. With one exception: we actually DID enjoy the hike portion!

We had a notice in our stateroom ahead of time about what to wear, be prepared for physical activity, etc. -- felt that was fair warning in addition to the excursion description. The path was narrow, there were ruts, roots and rocks, etc., but nothing that we wouldn't have expected on a forest hike.

It was DH, myself, DD9 and DS11. We struck up a conversation with another family hiking that were all DVC/AP/rD fans like we are, and had a nice chat with them on the way down.

We all enjoyed it, and would do something else like it again. :)

So sorry about not getting back to you. I forgot about this post and didn't receive any notices from the boards that you were trying to contact me.

Basically everything cgiaimo said was true... not a great excursion. The beach part was nice though, we did enjoy that.

Again so sorry.

I am just reading this as i am going to Tortola. I wonder if you reported the conditions to Disney?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter