Toronto airport security line

Platinumbaby

Earning My Ears
We take the red eye from Calgary to Toronto . Our connecting flight to Orlando from Toronto is TIGHT ! Has anyone recently been through there that can share your experience of wait times ? I know they were having problems for a while

Went in May, and our biggest issue was the US customs hall. Only 4 of the booths were staffed, and it took over an hour to get through. We sprinted to our flights just in time for the doors to close - we overheard many in line who had already missed theirs. I haven't seen much mention of the US customs section in all of the articles about improved staffing etc... I would say this: don't delay at all after getting off your flight from Calgary. Use the washroom during descent if you can. If not, head straight to security/customs and save any food or washroom breaks for AFTER.

You can see wait times here. I have heard it is better, I hope it is we connect through Toronto later this week
https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/airport/toronto-pearson-international-airport
Keep in mind that's security ONLY - it does not factor in US Customs, which was the biggest hurdle during our trip.

Wait times do not include:​

• The time required to check in for your flight and drop your baggage at the air carrier counter;
  • The time required for you and your carry-on baggage to be processed through the screening process;
  • The time required to go through Customs for U.S. flights (in airports where available);
  • The time required to reach your boarding gate.

Went in May, and our biggest issue was the US customs hall. Only 4 of the booths were staffed, and it took over an hour to get through. We sprinted to our flights just in time for the doors to close - we overheard many in line who had already missed theirs. I haven't seen much mention of the US customs section in all of the articles about improved staffing etc... I would say this: don't delay at all after getting off your flight from Calgary. Use the washroom during descent if you can. If not, head straight to security/customs and save any food or washroom breaks for AFTER.
Awesome . Yes , ok , good thinking . You are right ; it has been two years since we went into the States and I am forgetting that Toronto is where we will clear customs and we let our Nexus expire 🤦‍♀️.

Thank you for that reminder . I forgot that Toronto is where we will clear customs . I feel like a novice traveller .

Keep in mind that's security ONLY - it does not factor in US Customs, which was the biggest hurdle during our trip.

Wait times do not include:​

• The time required to check in for your flight and drop your baggage at the air carrier counter;
  • The time required for you and your carry-on baggage to be processed through the screening process;
  • The time required to go through Customs for U.S. flights (in airports where available);
  • The time required to reach your boarding gate.
I hope it goes wonderful for you !

A tight connection in Toronto is definitely a gamble. Were there no direct flights to Orlando? I hate connecting due to tight turnarounds and lost luggage mishaps.

A tight connection in Toronto is definitely a gamble. Were there no direct flights to Orlando? I hate connecting due to tight turnarounds and lost luggage mishaps.

Unfortunately direct flights to MCO from places such as Vancouver, Halifax, and I'm sure other major airports have been cancelled all over the place over the past few months so connecting through Toronto is a necessity. For us, we have the option of connecting through Calgary but the lack of flights made it expensive and not great connections. We have a 4 hour layover in Toronto on our way to Orlando which should be sufficient, but connect through Calgary on the way home.

We left for Orlando on Sunday August 21. Air Canada 7 am flight. Got in line at 3 am through both security lines ( Canada and TSA) in 45 minutes!! We did carry on. Bought luggage in Orlando ( too much shopping)

We left for Orlando on the 24th, also on a 7am Air Canada flight. We got to the airport at 4:30am. We had no checked bags and got to our gate in about an hour.

Don't connecting flights have their own US customs area at YYZ to avoid having to go through security again? I'm pretty sure as a connecting flight you won't need to worry about long lines.

Don't connecting flights have their own US customs area at YYZ to avoid having to go through security again? I'm pretty sure as a connecting flight you won't need to worry about long lines.

They do, but you have to clear security again when connecting.

We went through Toronto down to Orlando in Terminal 1 on August 18, the lines were short and cleared the US customs in security within a half an hour. We do have Nexus cards and basically walked through US customs. This was late afternoon.

We came back yesterday August 27 through Toronto in Terminal 3. Our flight was late arriving when we got to the gate only people with WestJet connections were allowed to disembark, the rest of the passengers were put on a customs hold. It was packed in CBSA, again Nexus helped us out. There were 5 Nexus machines only 2 were working properly. We managed to get a working machine and got through there quickly. We went through security again it luckily was a very short line. We made it to the gate just as boarding began. Our Flight attendant said that the flight was fully booked but the plane left and with about a third of the seats empty so many people did not make it. Our layover was supposed to be 1hr 45 minutes with the late flight we had nearly an hour and a half to make the connection.

Our bags made the connection both ways.

Would love some input from folks who are more familiar with the Toronto airport than I am. I’m flying with Westjet from YEG > YYZ, landing at 5am then I depart YYZ > MCO at 10am.
I’ll be doing carry on only. Will I fully leave security and re-enter, or do I stay within security with an extra security stop on the way? Curious about the layover process between flights.
I tried to find the info on the airport website but couldn’t find a conclusive answer. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter