Top 10 things to bring for your stateroom

I've seen a couple of references to lanyards - is this something that is given to you when you check in? Or is it something that everyone just finds helpful? Do you buy it on the ship? Take it with you?

If you are a Castaway Club member, you will get lanyards at check in. If it's your first cruise, you could buy some. They are very handy to put your KTTW card in, put pins one, carry your DL in, etc. while you are on board.

Also, I found Mickey magnetic clips from WDW and used those on the back of our door to hang our lanyards from. That way, we never forgot to leave the room without them.

If you are a Castaway Club member, you will get lanyards at check in. If it's your first cruise, you could buy some. They are very handy to put your KTTW card in, put pins one, carry your DL in, etc. while you are on board.

Also, I found Mickey magnetic clips from WDW and used those on the back of our door to hang our lanyards from. That way, we never forgot to leave the room without them.

that's good to know! Thanks! Three of us are Castaway Club members, but our daughter is not. However, she is only 6, so I don't know that she'll need one? I may pick one up for her for pins anyway.

We're going on our first cruise :sail: and my wife and I are searching the boards for tip and tricks. Thanks for the great suggestions. My wife just bought some travel space bags for the clothes, as we'll be flying in from CA. (Magic -12/4/10) 2 adults, 2 kids. A checked bag for each and a carry on. Hopefully we have enough room, as we love our electronic devices. :banana:

Steve
:cool2:

Our friends in our group earlier this month brought walkie talkies. It was a great way to find each other, esp if you have teenagers with you

Extra batteries for the walkie talkies, cameras, etc. Extra media cards for your camera. Tylenol, tums, benadryl, clariton, etc. Next time I'm bringing lotion for my DD as she has sensitive skin, she broke out in a skin rash due to whatever they use in the pool.

Tide To Go pen, highlighter, pop up hamper for dirty clothes, over the door hanger for toiletries and other items, dry erase board, travel alarm clock, small flash light, wrinkle release spray, large envelope for keepsakes and receipts. I also brought one of those car deodorizers that you hang from the rearview mirror and hung it in the bathroom.

waterproof lanyards for excursions. Disney toys that were wrapped at home to give the kids when they are begging for toys from the gift shop (50% savings!) bottled water

I've seen a couple of references to lanyards - is this something that is given to you when you check in? Or is it something that everyone just finds helpful? Do you buy it on the ship? Take it with you?

The lanyards aren't given to you when you check in, but you can buy them at the port or in the shops once the ship departs (apparently the ones on the ship are better :) ). You can always bring your own, too. We haven't used one before, but it seems like a practical thing to have on a cruise so you don't lose your KTTW. So, we're going to give it a whirl!

that's good to know! Thanks! Three of us are Castaway Club members, but our daughter is not. However, she is only 6, so I don't know that she'll need one? I may pick one up for her for pins anyway.

On my first (and only so far) Disney cruise I was the only non-Castaway Cay club member in our cabin and we all recieved lanyards when we checked in.

Ok, we have all seen advice on what to bring, but what would your top 10 things to bring for your stateroom. With a family of four, I'm trying to keep my packing small. Or at least as small as I can that is..

Not reading anyone else's just gonna post since it is so fresh in my brain. We cruised 5 weeks ago on our 3rd DCL. It was by far our most planned out cruise and I forgot a vital bag. :headache: and truly it was vital. All stuff we had cruised with before and desperately missed this time around.

1. over the door bag to collect misc items and hold sunglasses, keys etc.

2. powerstrip to plug in phones, iPods, camera, DS's

3. magnets (not necessarily personalized ones) to mark our door...they really do look the same, even when you are paying attention. :rolleyes1

4. pirate accessories (eye patches, bandanas from previous cruises) they add to the fun in a big way.

5. My personal favorite: SHOES! Yep, I only had heels for dinner and the shoes on my feet. The "vital bag" was a conglomeration of all of the above plus some odds and ends AND my shoes for the trip. We decided at the last minute (literally at 4pm the day before) to book a room by the airport as our flight out was super early...so I threw all these things off of my list into "the vital bag" BUT did not note on my list that there was now 6 total bags traveling with us to the hotel. So, DH says is this all (5 bags) and I check my list and it says 5 bags and I say yep. :headache: My plan was to repack those last few things into our 4 pieces of luggage once we got to the hotel. yep, get to the hotel that is 2 hours from our home and realize I don't have that stuff...BUT never occured to me that I didn't have my shoes since I had already packed everyone else's shoes into the bags! THAT was discovered when I went to change shoes in Orlando!!!! :scared1: SO, I had to buy a couple of pair of shoes since well black satin heels don't exactly work at the MK, nor do black 3inch high wedge sandals for 8 days of walking. :laughing: That was an expensive mistake. :thumbsup2

I was just on the Magic last week.

Power strip

hair dryer (there's one in the bathroom but it's not good. If you just want your hair dry, then it's fine. If you want to be able to style your hair using a dryer, then bring your own. )

pair of scissors / roll of tape / pen / highlighter / folder or envelope to corral papers. A couple of strong fridge magnets are handy too; you can use them on the back of your cabin door for messages or for holding navigators / papers.

zip-loc bags

I agree with a hanging toiletry organizer... there is a single "knob" on the back of each bathroom door where you can hang it.

mesh laundry bag or tote bag for dirty laundry

I do think it's a good idea to put a magnet on your door to "mark" it especially if you're with kids. You don't have to go crazy making anything... I used an 89c magnetic photo sleeve from the drugstore. It helps.

If you're doing connecting rooms, bring small bungee cords. We didn't and really regretted it -- those doors will not prop open!

I was at our local Target store yesterday and I found a travel clock for $2.50 in the dollar area right when you walk in the door.

It is a Time/Alarm Clock/Timer/Temperature that runs on 3 AAA batteries. It will light up when you touch it.

After reading all these tips I just had a great idea for our 14 day Trans-Atlantic. I am trying to really cut back on what we pack so we won't have to pay a fortune to the airlines for luggage- I am going to take a couple of those Ziplock XXL Big Bags and use them to pack our clothes in and compress the air out to make it ?smaller in our suitcase. Then I am going to use those bags to take our dirty laundry to the washer/dryer area, and maybe use them again to put all of our towels/junk in on excursions.
If anyone has any other ideas on how to pack light please let me know. The airlines have taken the fun out of packing.

That's a great idea! But, just be careful that you don't go over your weight limit on your luggage. Packing clothes in bags and sucking the air out of them give so much room, but it still weighs the same as if it's not compressed.

All of the things I could think of that are "Must haves" have already been mentioned.

Some of my "must haves:"

extension cord

my own hair dryer

travel clock

travel sizes of OTC meds just in case

hand wipes

waterproof watch

binoculars

laundry bags

small notebook and pen

address labels written out for sending post cards

our address labels to put on the return luggage tags (saves you from having to write out your name and address on each one for disembarkation)

lots of great ideas! love the clothes line through the swimsuit one!

we bring an extention cord
hi-lighter - dh goes through the compas in pain-staking detail!
i-pod speakers - we use the alarm clock feature on the ipod
downey wrinkle stuff
shout wipes
the purex laundry things
& our newest addition captain morgan - never realized we could bring it on board

I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.

someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too

someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too

Part of the problem is the material ths ship is made out of. Its mostly steel and steel is notorious for poor reception with line of sight type radios.The only way to get around it would be if Disney installed repeaters through out the ship to "boost" the signal.
The fact that a lot of other families have the same idea, doesnt help either.

They discourage electrical on the ship. The clocks are battery operated, there are few outlets. We have even had form letters left in our room if we left things plugged in when we left the stateroom.

I havent had that problem yet, though I have seen posted recently, that if you bring a power strip, call guest services, and theyll have a ships engineer come look at it and give it an ok.Im assuming that the ones that are surge protectors, and have built in resetable fuses, should be ok.Its the ones that would normally draw too much power that they would have an issue with.We brought a 3 position travel power strip with us last cruise, left it plugged in the whole time and never had any one say anything.

Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.

The paper with our names on it, I place INSIDE my lugggage,in 2 or 3 places so that if the tags on the outside come off, someone can still ID my bags.

A small backpack for excursions, for souveniers,water bottles etc.

Someway to back up any photos you take.Ive heard people bring multiple cards, or thumb drives, but I prefer an external hard drive. Ill download and charge my cameras nightly, in 2 different places, jic.Ill delete one set when I get home.

We traveled with a couple and their son 2 years ago that went to create space on an almost full memory card, and erased everything accidentally. From the pics of their house with mold in it for the insurance company to the pics from the cruise and WDW the week before hand.

I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.

Weve found the travel/trial size febreeze in Walmart with the rest of the travel sized items.

In the minority here.
Nothing.
Stateroom had everything we needed.
Hair dryer was fine. Plugged the videocamera battery charger in the outlet behind the TV and the digital camera charger in the plug on the hair dryer.
Put dirty clothing in suitcases that we had stored under the bed.
All our shoes fit on the floor of the closet, put our toiletries on the shelves in the bathroom. All our clothing fit in the drawers or closet.

I'm with you! When we first cruised in 2001, I pretty much took our whole household with us...:sad2:

Now I find I don't really need all of those things... a little sunscreen & wine & we're set! Helps that DS is now 18, but I don't need the over the door shoe holder anymore either. Traveling lighter & it feels great. Well...except for the shoes!! Haven't gotten over that one... LOL

:rotfl:

bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter