Top 10 Things i learned on our Disney Cruise

I want to try the cruise and have two kids under 12. Thing is my wife and I hate always being around little kids that are not ours. Anyone else feel that way. Needless to say we're not teachers. Our kids are fairly well behaved and we hate being around bratty kids. Would you recomment we avaoid the Disney Cruise?

Hi KENNYBOT,
I don't know anyone who LIKES being around bratty kids! :eek: If you don't like to be around little kids that aren't yours, you should probably stay home :)

Just got off the Wonder Christmas cruise on Thursday. This was our 2nd cruise (last one was Aug 2009). During the long 9 hour drive home, my mind started wandering and i came up with a top 10 list of my own...

5. Travel iron - do not bring it. Use the full size iron and ironing board in the laundry room on Deck 2. It works great and there is never anyone else using it.

Sarah:yay:

We're going on the Magic next week :cool1: and I was wondering if there is an ironing board/iron in the Deck 2 laundry room as well?

Thanks!

So do we still need dollars for room service tips or can we charge them to the room? There a little bit of conflicting info about this.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips!!

:surfweb:
So do we still need dollars for room service tips or can we charge them to the room? There a little bit of conflicting info about this.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips!!

Hi there,

I would personally bring dollars anyway so that the server can just pocket the money rather than wait for the shipboard accounts to be settled. That's just my opinion. Cash is always best :)

1. Don't try to do everything on the Navigator. If you miss something, there will be something just as good if not better to do in a couple hours. On our first cruise, it seemed like we were running from activity to activity non-stop. The stress from that and the disappointment from missing something took away from the enjoyment.

2. Realize that different people get enjoyment from different things. Some people seem to live for looking down their noses at people. Some people seem to think that you are on their cruise and must put their wants and desires first. Avoid these people.

3. Let the kids know that this is a Family vacation, not a "kids get what they want whenever they want it" cruise.

4. Convince your wife that you do not need to stand in every picture/character meet line you see. This is good way to lose many hours of your vacation.

1. Don't try to do everything on the Navigator. If you miss something, there will be something just as good if not better to do in a couple hours. On our first cruise, it seemed like we were running from activity to activity non-stop. The stress from that and the disappointment from missing something took away from the enjoyment.

2. Realize that different people get enjoyment from different things. Some people seem to live for looking down their noses at people. Some people seem to think that you are on their cruise and must put their wants and desires first. Avoid these people.

3. Let the kids know that this is a Family vacation, not a "kids get what they want whenever they want it" cruise.

4. Convince your wife that you do not need to stand in every picture/character meet line you see. This is good way to lose many hours of your vacation.

Uncle Larry - about the pictures :rotfl2: I'm one of the wives who insist on every picture possible & it drives my DH & DD crazy!! :rotfl:
Completely agree with item #2 - on our last cruise (not Disney) there was a family that just completely spread out on the pool deck and blocked everyone's access to the pool on one side!! It was as though the other passengers were trying to take a dip in "their" pool!! Some people are so rude :sad2:

Thanks for a great thread. We're going on our first cruise in Sept. and I love these tips from everyone:thumbsup2

my top 10:

1. I love Disney now more than ever because of DCL.
2. NOt doing everything is okay.
3. Sitting in a random chair somewhere on Deck 4/5 is relaxing.
4. If you purchase pictures on embarkation day with your debit card know that they will put a hold on your card for an amount higher than you spent. So I spent $100, and there was also a hold of $130.
5. Room service is awesome, they will warm up milk for your little ones.
6. Room steward allowed me to leave my double stroller folded outside my room, by the door. Which saved me a lot of trying to hold the door with my foot while I put kids in stroller. Also bring a door stopper or even ask the steward for one.
7. That I can eat everything but will pay for it the day I get off the ship. So be prepared for massive stomach aches. but so worth it.
8. To book a cruise during typical warmer months so I can enjoy the pool/beach.
9. To book a longer cruise so I can take advantage of what the ship offers.
10. Money well spent for a vacation!

"If you purchase pictures on embarkation day with your debit card know that they will put a hold on your card for an amount higher than you spent. So I spent $100, and there was also a hold of $130."

I don't quite get this...please explain further.

my top 10:
4. If you purchase pictures on embarkation day with your debit card know that they will put a hold on your card for an amount higher than you spent. So I spent $100, and there was also a hold of $130.
QUOTE]
So we won't be able to use a debit card for anything else while on the ship?

1. If your kids are social, don't plan on seeing them very much. If I didn't have something planned, my teen daughter was gone. My 6 YO was wanting to be at the kids club with her friends. It's been a month and the Vibe kids are all still talking in their facebook sub-forum, XBL and texting.

2. Kids make friends in the time it takes to introduce themselves.

3. All the kids I saw appeared super happy to be there :)

4. I've never seen so many hand sanitizing wipes in my life.

5. Towel folding is art.

6. Fireworks are better on the boat, even if it's windy.

7. There's a Starbucks in Cozumel in front of the mall :)

8. The Extreme Dolphin Swim in Grand Cayman was so much cooler than I expected!

9. Vibe is open until 2:00am on some nights (I wasn't quite prepared for that)

10. The CM in the kids clubs are pretty amazing with face paint.

1. You waste alot of valuable ship exploration time waiting for elevators if you don't have to on embarkation day (they take FOREVER).

2. If you want to see the ship start to move from the Port...pay attention, because if you are too into the Sail Away Party, you might just miss it (the boat is that smooth).

3. The treats in the Cove Cafe glass cabinets are free (most think you have to pay for them).

4. If you don't like something on the menu, the wait staff is extremely accomodating and will try their hardest to customize your dish.

5. Water bottles are extremely expensive on board, if your family drinks lots of water, it's best to buy a case, and pack the loose bottles in your luggage (wherever they fit).

6. If you have children who drink milk at night(DD just turned 2 when we last sailed), you can go to deck 9 and ask a cast member to give you a bunch of containers of milk-you can store them in the cooler in your stateroom so you don't have to keep going back for more.

7. Again, if you have children, it's best to not go with a set agenda, as you can never plan on what's going to happen and when.

8. If you go to Guest Services, you can ask them if they have any Disney Cruise Line pens, and they will give them to you for free (these pens hold me off until my next Disney Cruise, as I write with them all the time).

9. If you really want the Chocolate Souffle from Palo but cannot dine at Palo, just make your server aware on the first night, and they will accomodate and try to get the souffle for you on your last night-no charge :woohoo: (hmmm...maybe I will try this with lobster:scratchin)

10. If you go to the adult clubs at night, sometimes they have special yummy treats right outside the club.

*Bonus thing that I've learned*

HAVE FUN!! Your cruise is what you make it :beach:

There are other tip threads but it is nice to see a new one. I agree with all of the above tips (and if I repeat I am sorry).

1. Go to Parrot Cay when you board...more relaxing than the uptop buffet.
2. Order Mickey bars from room service.....they aren't listed on the menu.
3. Do room service breakfast.
4. Eat breakfast in the dining room.
5. Adults...take advantage of all the fun events in the evening for you.
6. If you like hot wings, bring a bottle of buffalo wing sauce for the chicken tenders up on deck.
7. Relax, have fun and don't expect perfection.

I love all the other tips! Here are my top 10 from our 1st cruise, a 3-day in November 2010, in no particular order:

1. Do not book a spa treatment that takes place during the Sailaway party.
2. Pre-medicate anyone susceptible to sea sickness rather than waiting until they feel bad.
3. Make sure to watch at least one movie under the stars.
4. Go to the DIS meet for your cruise.
5. Make someone's day - give a huge tip when they deliver those mickey bars from room service.
6. Get at least one drink of the day every day.
7. Do the FE with your fellow DISers - it is a great way to explore the ship and such a treat to find gifts in your FE each day.
8. Use the stairs, not the elevators - faster and a good way to burn off some of those extra calories.
9. Pack less - you really don't need 2 outfits for each day....
10. On a 3-day, find as much time as possible to enjoy the ship rather than doing excursions.

Time to book another cruise! Reading through all these posts makes me really want to go back, but this time, I'm looking for a 4-day with just my DH. The 10-yo and 12-yo can stay with the grandparents this time around!

The hair dryers are fine for me. My DBF is bald so he says; "they work just fine for me?"! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter