Too busy to ride, what do you do?

momz

DIS Veteran
With waits that are hours long and fast pass system either not working or no passes available, what do you do to enjoy the parks?

What do your teenagers do to enjoy the parks?

Hubby and I can do ok with people watching, but the teens aren't so happy.

My teens are big on rides, so I think they would be unhappy not doing rides.

I personally could go and ride nothing and still love it. I love the atmosphere and everything else as much as the rides.

I guess if it is super busy, I would do our 3 fastpasses, maybe do a TS meal, and catch some of the rides/ shows that don’t require long waits and just be glad to be at WDW!

Edit...sorry, missed the question about no fastpasses! Guess we would just skip that part!

We’ve done this week a few times and have always done a decent amount of rides. (But not as many as other trips).
After our 1st Christmas week trip, the teens are the ones that pushed us to do it again. And if they want to spend more time with the parents at WDW vs more gifts under the tree, I’ll gladly take it :)

I’m willing to wait 1 hour for FoP but nothing else.

We arrive late morning and have our (3) FP+ and we fill in with shows / occasional short wait rides. It helps if you can notice when a ride has a much shorter line than the posted time.
At MK we can always grab a few more FP+, and it helps to refresh MDE because it’s possible to grab an occasional E ticket ride.

If no more fast passes were available, and the waits were all too long, I'd first have a sit down meal to let some time pass and see if the park empties out. Maybe I'd see a show. If that didn't work I'd probably just go back to the resort and swim in the pool.

With waits that are hours long and fast pass system either not working or no passes available, what do you do to enjoy the parks?

What do your teenagers do to enjoy the parks?

Hubby and I can do ok with people watching, but the teens aren't so happy.

Is MDE down again? Or is it just that busy, FPs are hard to come by? :guilty:

It was not down today. It was th at busy. The only additional pass we could get was Muppets.

Oh wow. The Muppets? Was that in Hollywood Studios? And I'm sorry to hear that for you. I can't imagine your teens were happy in the least. If you're there tomorow and run into the same problem, visit a show, do a sit down meal, go shopping. My son LOVES spending MY money, so he would forego any rides to get his momma to buy him anything Disney! :goodvibes

I would rope drop to make sure I got a few rides in before it was too crowded. I would use my 3 FP late morning or early. After that, if FPs can’t be found even with persistent refreshing and modifying, I’d do other things with the teens. My son has enjoyed:
Golf
Mini golf
Splitsville
Movies
The Void

Extra FPs were hard to come by today. We were able to get a total of 5 (3+2) at Epcot and 2 more at HS in the evening. You may have to be more persistent? How many in your party does make a difference as well.

Sorry, spending thousands of dollars for Christmas week just seems like such a waste of money. Paying top dollar to be in the parks and not being able to go on rides is just ridiculous.

Some of us do not come just for the rides... As I said, we rode 7 rides today, we saw 4 shows. My two adult children stayed late and rode 4 more times (at MK) and did multiple character meets. We had a great meal at Brown Derby, saw a fantastic fireworks display at HS, and it snowed on Sunset! Pretty good day I would say! I agree though, to each his own.

It was not down today. It was th at busy. The only additional pass we could get was Muppets.

Momz, I feel for you. For what it's worth outside of HS and Pandora, waits can be long but not so terrible. Definitely find a sanctuary mid day especially for the next two days. I personally find the parks more entertaining watching the mid-day madness with a libation in hand.

What parks are you headed to today and tomorrow??

Good luck, try to enjoy yourself.

Momz, I feel for you. For what it's worth outside of HS and Pandora, waits can be long but not so terrible. Definitely find a sanctuary mid day especially for the next two days. I personally find the parks more entertaining watching the mid-day madness with a libation in hand.

What parks are you headed to today and tomorrow??

Good luck, try to enjoy yourself.

Today is Animal Kingdom. Tomorrow Epcot.

I would rope drop to make sure I got a few rides in before it was too crowded. I would use my 3 FP late morning or early. After that, if FPs can’t be found even with persistent refreshing and modifying, I’d do other things with the teens. My son has enjoyed:
Golf
Mini golf
Splitsville
Movies
The Void

I am sorry, and I mean no disrespect. I understand that everyone has their own opinions and likes and dislikes but...... I do not go to WDW to go golfing, go bowling, go to a movie. These are all things i can do at home and save lots of money. As others have said just immersing yourself into the various parks is well worth the trip. Again just my opinion.

We are older (57 and 60), and while we enjoy rides, there are plenty of things to keep us busy. Also, we have Annual Silver Passes which mean that we can go any time we want except for major holidays and summer. We like to shop, eat, go to the movies, play mini golf, swim, etc.

Additional fast passes are available. Just be patient with the app. This was our day yesterday with a 7 & 5 year old:
FP - Frozen
Character meet - Anna / Elsa
Character meet - Wreck it Ralph
FP - living with the land
FP - Turtle Talk
FP4 - Sorin
Went for a swim at Resort
FP - Meet Tinkerbell
Character Meet Mickey (during parade)
FP - small world
FP - Ariel Under sea
FP - Winnie the Pooh ride
FP - Buzz ride
FP - Tea Cups
Dinner & Desert party & Fireworks
FP - Splash Mountain

Last edited:
I'd plan to be at a park before rope drop, ride everything I could with short-ish lines, and have FPs for the afternoon once the parks get really busy. I'd then eat, go shopping, or take a break.

Christmas is not a time to go without expecting to wait in some rather long lines.

We did Hollywood studios in December 30th last year and I have to say it was great. We used our 3 fast passes and then we did shows. Even on a busy day like that we did not need fast passes for the shows.

Today is Animal Kingdom. Tomorrow Epcot.
Today at Animal Kingdom make sure you do the nature trails. They are beautiful. The shops at AK are wonderful for perusing and there is plenty of street entertainment. At Epcot tomorrow, try the game at the end of Mission Space. My teens love playing! Also try Agent P's Adventure game. I know it's marketed towards the younger crowd but it's a lot of fun and gets you to see some areas in World Showcase you might otherwise miss. Take your time in each country! I have never been to the parks during this time of year but I hope these ideas help!

I am sorry, and I mean no disrespect. I understand that everyone has their own opinions and likes and dislikes but...... I do not go to WDW to go golfing, go bowling, go to a movie. These are all things i can do at home and save lots of money. As others have said just immersing yourself into the various parks is well worth the trip. Again just my opinion.

Your opinion is certainly valuable. If OP needs to plan a trip for you I’ll let her know the things you don’t like to do.
OP asked what her teens could do besides people watch. Telling them to just immerse themselves didn’t seem helpful. I shared things that my teens have enjoyed while on a Disney vacation that can be done when parks are busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts