Tom Sawyers Island with ECV

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
I essentially use the ECV because I'm not a strong walker. I walk slowly and I get tired before the rest of my family.
That being said, what would you suggest if we take the raft over to Tom Sawyers Island? Should I leave the ECV back on the "mainland", that is not take it on the raft? Is there a place to leave it? I'd like to do whatever is easiest. Also, I'm thinking that it may be a little difficult to maneuver the ECV on the island, which is fine with me. Meaning I don't have a problem not having it on Tom Sawyers Island but just wondering can I leave it someplace before getting on the raft? If not, how did you make out having it on the island?

TIA

I essentially use the ECV because I'm not a strong walker. I walk slowly and I get tired before the rest of my family.
That being said, what would you suggest if we take the raft over to Tom Sawyers Island? Should I leave the ECV back on the "mainland", that is not take it on the raft? Is there a place to leave it? I'd like to do whatever is easiest. Also, I'm thinking that it may be a little difficult to maneuver the ECV on the island, which is fine with me. Meaning I don't have a problem not having it on Tom Sawyers Island but just wondering can I leave it someplace before getting on the raft? If not, how did you make out having it on the island?
TIA

Hi, karensi. I was disappointed with my last experience going to Walt Disney World's Tom Sawyer's Island. Previously when using my mobility scooter, I was always told that I could not use the boat transport to get to the Tom Sawyer Island and that I had to transfer to a wheelchair.

Last year, when I used my new foldable electric wheelchair, the cast member also said that I couldn't cross unless I transferred to one of their manual wheelchairs.

I knew that I would be able to travel to many places on the island, but I just want to see as much as I could.

My wheelchair only weighs 55-pounds.

I was so insistent even after telling him about my wheelchair.

I would be interested in other guest experiences with this.

The Walt Disney World web site says the following:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/tom-sawyer-island/

Accessibility and Other Information

Accessibility
  • Must Be Ambulatory

And the DIS says:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/magic-kingdom/tom-sawyer-island.htm

Handicapped Accessibility: The Island is not accessible to guests in wheelchairs.

Last edited:
How sad, Disneyland was able to make some of their Tom Sawyer's Island accessible. Not all of it of course, but a good part of it, as long as you are ok with dirt trails and the rafts there can accommodate ECVs, although you may have to wait a little longer so they can get you on one that isn't as heavily loaded.

Given that Disneyland, with a much smaller island can do this, I don't see why Disney World can't

IS there a designated place that I could park the ECV before getting on to the raft? I think that would be better for me, just to leave it parked before heading over.

IS there a designated place that I could park the ECV before getting on to the raft? I think that would be better for me, just to leave it parked before heading over.
Ask a CM where to park it. I can not think of one off the top of my head

gggg050.jpg

There are plenty of spaces to park and then a few benches to sit on while waiting for the raft.

auntpolly_seatsmall.jpg

I just miss going over to Aunt Polly's even if it was closed, because it was a nice place to relax in the shade.

gggg085.jpg

Maybe the entrance might be too narrow to enter and make a turn to the front. I don't know for sure.

Ask a CM where to park it. I can not think of one off the top of my head
Yes, perfect! I just wanted to make sure that I would be allowed to park and leave the ECV there while we were on the island.
Haven't gone there in years, it will be another fun thing to do this trip.
Thanks to all who posted some info here!

Yes, perfect! I just wanted to make sure that I would be allowed to park and leave the ECV there while we were on the island.
Haven't gone there in years, it will be another fun thing to do this trip.
Thanks to all who posted some info here!
You might be able to take the ECV over to the island with you but as I recall there was not much you could go on the island with your ECV It has been about a year since I went on the island

FEF208DB-BF24-4E15-91CE-6D227D655112.jpeg This is a screenshot of the Tom Sawyer Island map.
The blue arrow marks the dock.
I put a red x by the first set of stairs in each path. You really can’t go very far without some impediment to using a wheelchair or walker.
I remember going there multiple times when our daughter was little. I do remember lifting her in her wheelchair up and down steps.
When I was there by myself a few years ago, I couldn’t believe we did that - there were a lot of stairs. I can’t tell from the map, but I remember a couple of steps before you get to the mill at the right side of the picture.

I don’t know if anything was changed during the recent closing, but I doubt it.

I think it is really sad that Disney does not make any attempt to make the island more ECV friendly. Yes I know some of it can't but just a little lanscaping change and a few wooden ramps to get to the fort area. This island is not the type of place most thrill seekers even care to see, but it is exactly the type of place that many older guests would love to spend time, and to escape the loud crowds. Please Disney, make this island accessable!!! #PleaseDisney.

I think it is really sad that Disney does not make any attempt to make the island more ECV friendly. Yes I know some of it can't but just a little lanscaping change and a few wooden ramps to get to the fort area. This island is not the type of place most thrill seekers even care to see, but it is exactly the type of place that many older guests would love to spend time, and to escape the loud crowds. Please Disney, make this island accessable!!! #PleaseDisney.

I definitely agree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter