Tokyo Disney Review Already Happen?

limitdis

Mouseketeer
I remember in one of the episodes when Pete was in Hawaii, talking via video conference, he said they would go in depth about Tokyo Disney and the hotel, which he said is the best he's ever been in.
Did that episode already happen? If so, I can't seem to find it. Am I missing something here?

OK, after I finished the audio podcast of Pete's on this vacation I went back to listen to John and Kevin's review on their podcast about Tokyo Disney. Listening to them both back to back was hysterical because they were literally two completely opposite reviews!!! It was so funny I was laughing through the whole thing. Without going into too much detail (maybe you want to listen too) I do not think John and Kevin knew it was a non disney owned park as Pete had mentioned and their review reflected that. I think the only thing they agreed on with Pete was the clean beautiful hotels they stayed at and no one spoke English. That was it. After that, hahaha, major differences of opinions, it was just so funny to hear two totally different reviews of the same park.

oh wow! They never mentioned it once in their review! I am so surprised. The podcast they kept saying (while some positives of course of the park) that this was not what they expected of disney. it was a repeated theme they kept saying. many times saying it reminded them of universal or another park but not disney. Because it's not! only by name. but they never once mentioned it was owned by someone else. It was so fun listening to their podcast and Pete's back to back. Such different viewpoints and opinions.

that this was not what they expected of disney. it was a repeated theme they kept saying. many times saying it reminded them of universal or another park but not disney.
I believe they were specifically referring to Tokyo Disney Seas with those comments.

I believe he said one and done! But pete wanted to go back yesterday! it was just too funny. one was in a shopping frenzy loading up on everything and the other could only find one item! like two brothers experiencing the same thing with opposite opinions.

I loved Pete & Sean’s podcast about Tokyo. They seemed to be completely charmed by TDR and Disney Sea.

I think Sean helped since he’s definitely much more easygoing than John or Kevin. Sean’s attitude was great - They don’t speak English? No problem. I’ll figure it out. The food isn’t very American - No worries. I’ll just keep eating these delicious hot pockets from this food cart.

I can see why Disney Sea reminded Kevin & John of Universal. I thought parts of Disney Sea definitely looked like Port of Entry & Seussland of Islands of Adventure, and the Portofino Hotel on Universal property. I thought Disney Sea looked amazing. I would love to ride those Jules Verne rides (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea & Journey to the Center of the Earth).

We’re planning to go to Japan in October 2020, after the Olympics. We’ll visit TDR as well as the Universal Studios in Osaka. They are building a Nintendoland to open in 2020, and my family can not wait to see it.

Now we just have to get there :) I loved the idea of stopping off in Hawaii. Who knew that two round trip tickets (Orlando to/from Honolulu) and (Honolulu to/from Tokyo) could save you so much money? My husband flies to Tokyo from NYC twice a year for work. His lie-flat business class tickets cost 10k! I’ll be pricing flights direct vs stopovers on the West Coast or Hawaii.

Well for one thing, DisneySea's Miracosta hotel is very similar to the Portofino Bay hotel at Universal, just much fancier (and more expensive!)

Both DisneySea and Islands of Adventure (had) a Sindbad attraction. DisneySea has an amazing ride and Islands of Adventure had a, um...not so amazing show.

This isn't all coincidence though! Both of these were designed at the same timeframe and there were many imagineers who Disney let go of around 1994-1995 when EuroDisney didn't live up to expectations.....so they went to Universal Creative instead, and took some of their pet projects with them, if you believe the rumors. Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge was another idea for a Dragon themed rollercoaster for Animal Kingdom that ended up in Islands of Adventure.

Interesting. I didn’t know about this history of the laid off imagineers. I love Islands if Adventure so Disney’s loss was Universal’s gain. If there’s a Disnified Islands of Adventure in a polite & clean country? Sounds great to me.

I listened to John & Kevin’s Tokyo podcast from 2017. Sheesh. They did not like TDR. At the beginning of their podcast on Hong Kong & Shanghai they mentioned that they were probably too harsh on Tokyo because they were so exhausted by the jetlag. I think the moral of the story is - plan at least a day or two of rest once you fly to Asia & cross the international dateline.

I actually really enjoyed John and Kevin's review, I thought they were pretty genuine and honest that they had had a hard time. I appreciated that they were willing to admit that. Those are concerns I have about traveling internationally - jet lag, language, safety and frankly food.

It's one thing to enjoy the food, language and culture of another country while leisurely sightseeing. It's quite another when trying to do commando park touring which is physically demanding on the best of days in ideal weather. I am a decently adventurous eater and enjoy a wide palette. When I am in a theme park though, I am usually exhausted and frankly suffering from motion sickness so I am queasy. What I dreamt about eating and what I feel like when park touring are two very different things.
I found their review honest and informative to learn from their mistakes.

Last edited:
It was mentioned in the podcast that I’m usually pretty up to date on flight deals.

If you wanted to go April 26-May 3 (last minute I know, but some people can do it) United has a flight deal for $600 roundtrip from Newark and $675 from Washington DC. It’s a really good deal for Tokyo from the east coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!