Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Great Update....Sounds like so much fun!!! I can not wait to read more! Somehow I just know I am not going to get much work done tomorrow. I will be checking this TR every few minutes! LOL

Okay, that Chocolate shop looks AMAZING, and all the wrapped up food items, yes, too cute, the packaging for everything in Japan seems like half the fun! It is like a "Bento Box" with sushi... I love ordering it just for the presentation alone! I cant get over the Japanese love of desserts and elaborate sweets! Neat pics of all the shopping places, etc. I am cracking up that you are hitting all the American staples -- 7 Eleven, Mickey D's, etc.

I know - I totally didn't wanna be that guy who goes to a foreign country and then only frequents American chains! But McDonald's was the only place open that early, consarn it!

Everything looks amazing! I can't wait to go there one day!

It's totally amazing! You will love it!

Wow, I there is NO way I can go to Japan. I'd have to just eat at McDonald's and then I'd get really mad for being too chicken to try the other food. (I am a picky eater; what a horrible curse to have.)

No no no! Don't say that! I want you to be able to go to Japan! :cutie: They have plenty of non-fish dishes, and there are hardly any green vegetables or fruit at all! :rotfl: Believe me, I can be really picky too, and I did OK!

I have a question. When you were taking the picture of Hermes and the two fellows jumped out of your picture, it spurred a thought in my pea brain. Are American tourists in Japan seen as we see Japanese tourists in America?

I wondered that too—we have the stereotype of the Japanese tourist with a camera around his neck. Maybe they have the same one of us!

I love your TR! I've read your last few and there so funny and insightful. I can't wait to read more, thanks for keeping us entertained!

Thanks for reading along—I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Did I see COLLAGEN flavored chocolate???? Maybe you should have brought a few of those back to the States and tossed a few on Heidi Montag's front lawn. Spencer might as well have something collagen flavored that has some nutritional value.

:rotfl2: HIGH-larious! I was super-curious about that one, but too creeped out to try it. I mean, what if it had, like, actual HUMAN collagen in it? :scared:

Was it awkward going in Hermes? I keep telling myself that I WILL go into the original Chanel store in Paris this summer and buy lipgloss or something, but I am so afraid that I will get the "get out of here, peasant" stares

I know - what is it with intimidating cosmetics sales ladies? I remember growing up in a tiny town in Northern California I was scared to go to the MAC counter in big, bad Sacramento! :lmao: I always had to remind myself that they were just glorified clerks (no offense to my MAC sales lady readers...). I think the same applies in Chanel or Hermes or anywhere. And in Japan, everybody's so polite, there's really no drama at all.

Ok I'm here finally (stupid puter). Loving this so far & really fascinated by all the differences in things over there.
I really did LOL when you were describing you & Patrick playing with the toilet in the room.
Loved, loved, loved the stationery haul for Jensey. How cute was that stuff!
Can't wait to read more.....it seems like it was such a cool trip.

Yay! Good to see you here! :wave2:

This is an amazing Trip Report! I am going to Japan for a month in June to visit with friends and family. My friend and I are planning on going to Tokyo Disneyland and we are super pumped!

I used to live in Japan back in 2003 and I love reading about people's reactions and adventures in Japan. It's always great to see! I can related to a lot you experienced.

You've inspired me to write up a trip report for everyone when I go! I'll probably end up doing it while I'm there since I'm there for a month.

Cool! This board definitely needs more info on Tokyo, and you'll have plenty for us after a month. I think starting while you're there is a great idea, too - it makes it less daunting when you get back.

Great installment!

Sorry if you already answered this, but what guidebooks did you use? Which ones did you think were the best?

Good question - I meant to mention that! My favorite was the Rough Guide to Tokyo. I liked the readability of the layout and how comprehensive it was. I carried it everywhere. Don't tell my MIL, but the DK Guide to Tokyo she very kindly gave me turned out to be missing a lot and adding very little when compared to the Rough Guide. And I just found the format more appealing than the Lonely Planet Guide.

Apparently most companies only update their Japan guides every few years, and the Rough Guide is due for it, but I only had one instance where its being out of date affected me (a museum that turned out to be closed for renovation).

Great Update....Sounds like so much fun!!! I can not wait to read more! Somehow I just know I am not going to get much work done tomorrow. I will be checking this TR every few minutes! LOL

:rotfl: No worries - I'm alternating updates with my Christmas report, so this one won't get another for a few more days.

So they just debuted the ad campaign that Patrick's company was working on in Tokyo, and Swazzle's puppets are all over Subaru's Japanese site.

It's all in Japanese, and the site is in Flash so I can't give you direct links, but I grabbed some screenshots and doctored them up with big red arrows to show you where to go to see the ads!

http://www.subaru.jp/lucra/lucra_special/

On the main page, click the third pink tab from the left...

SubaruMainPage.jpg

Then click in these 4 places for the 2 ads and the 2 behind-the-scenes features.

SubaruMediaPagecopy.jpg

I'm so proud! :banana:

OK, Carrie! You have finally pulled me out of my lurkdom to comment on this phenomenal TR!! :thumbsup2

I have been a (quiet) fan of yours since you first posted your Wedding TR and I was also in awe of the lovely Root photos of your event!

I don't know if I will ever get to TokyoDL, but I will certainly enjoy reading about your adventures for the time being!

My family and I are actually planning our first trip to your "stomping grounds" in June. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. :woohoo:

Can't wait to hear more!

Wow, I love Patrick's puppets! They're so cute. Reminds me of the Kia commercial with the giant sock monkey etc. But umm, weird question, what happens to those puppets now? Do they get used for other stuff? Or do they go to a "better (puppet) place"?

Also, this is definitely the most interesting trip report I've read for awhile! As opposed to 'here is a photo of illuminations... And it's not even disney yet. Kudos to you for being so brave in a pretty foreign city, it'd take me a few days to warm up I think.

Love the stationary and hearing about all the other stores you visited. Shopping is especially exciting when you're in a different place, as long as it's not too expensive of course.

Amazing TR, Carrie! I'm loving your Japanese adventure! No fish sandwiches for breakfast?

We found that most Okinawans don't want their pictures taken randomly, and we had to ask them for permission if they were going to be in our shots, maybe it is like that in Japan too? :confused3

Loved the Chocolate Cafe - much better looking than the cat cafe!

Patrick's commercials turned out great! The long-tongued guys reminded me of "Whassup!" from about 13 yrs ago.

Love your TR so far Carrie!!

Can't wait for more! I'd love love love to visit Japan!

The puppets are great! I love it! It is interesting how different countries advertise. We have boring advertising compared to Japan.

I am so excited that I found your report! I am dying to visit Japan someday, hopefully once I am done school in a few years.

I remember reading your amazing wedding report so I was elated when I was browsing the Tokyo Disney forum and saw your familiar name. :goodvibes

I can't wait to read all about your trip!

YAY! How adorable those puppets! I love the "jaw drop" expresssions and the octopus I want IT!!!!!

Can't wait to read more of your TR!

Thanks for posting the ads. They were great! I enjoyed the behind the scenes video. It was neat to see how the videos with puppets are made...hello, green outfits :thumbsup2

I lived in London in the late '90s, right after college, and had two jobs: one at an audio music magazine (meaning it came on CD!) and the other at The Body Shop in Piccadilly Circus. I loved it - I'd always been an Anglophile, plus it was my first time living in a big city. After I got back to the US I spent a year trying to figure out a way to get another job back there, but it's pretty difficult unless you can find someone to sponsor you. But I love to visit! :goodvibes

And don't forget you ate prawn cocktail crisps and Cadburys creme eggs :rotfl:

So they just debuted the ad campaign that Patrick's company was working on in Tokyo, and Swazzle's puppets are all over Subaru's Japanese site.

It's all in Japanese, and the site is in Flash so I can't give you direct links, but I grabbed some screenshots and doctored them up with big red arrows to show you where to go to see the ads!

http://www.subaru.jp/lucra/lucra_special/

On the main page, click the third pink tab from the left...

SubaruMainPage.jpg

Then click in these 4 places for the 2 ads and the 2 behind-the-scenes features.

SubaruMediaPagecopy.jpg

I'm so proud! :banana:

Wow that looks really cool (just from the screen shots - I'll have to watch it at home) he must be very proud to have been asked to be a part of that :goodvibes

About the breakfasts, did you have a traditional Japanese brekkie? If so what did it consist of? Breakfast is one of my favourite meals to have in a different country, we spent 2 weeks in Germany when I was about 8 and I loved all the meat and cheese they had with bread - simple but it fills you up :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your shopping tour, I loved the pics of the malls, they all look so posh. And those cute plush toys - I hope you got at least one?

A-T-G I hope you get to Fance ok :hug: We're due to fly to Barcelona on Saturday and have been going up and down this week!

Great updates!! Wow...Tokyo looks amazing!!! That chocolate store looked too cool..and i love love that stationary!

OMG Carrie those commercials are amazing. The puppets are so cuddly cute. You really have a truly talented hubby. Thanks for sharing that!

OK, Carrie! You have finally pulled me out of my lurkdom to comment on this phenomenal TR!!

I have been a (quiet) fan of yours since you first posted your Wedding TR and I was also in awe of the lovely Root photos of your event!

I don't know if I will ever get to TokyoDL, but I will certainly enjoy reading about your adventures for the time being!

My family and I are actually planning our first trip to your "stomping grounds" in June. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel.

Can't wait to hear more!

Welcome out of lurkdom! :wave2: And thanks for you kind comments! How exciting to have your first trip to Disneyland - I miss that "first-time" excitement, although I still love the place of course. Let me know if you need any tips or have any questions I might be able to answer about SoCal/Disneyland!

Wow, I love Patrick's puppets! They're so cute. Reminds me of the Kia commercial with the giant sock monkey etc. But umm, weird question, what happens to those puppets now? Do they get used for other stuff? Or do they go to a "better (puppet) place"?

Right now the puppets are in storage in the US, so they can potentially be used for more commercials. But Subaru may order a set of "show" puppets to display in their offices. Me, I just want to order the adorable otter cell phone charm they're selling! :rotfl:

Amazing TR, Carrie! I'm loving your Japanese adventure! No fish sandwiches for breakfast?

We found that most Okinawans don't want their pictures taken randomly, and we had to ask them for permission if they were going to be in our shots, maybe it is like that in Japan too?

I think it must be - when I was touring the wedding sites I was told I couldn't shoot any room that had people in it (well, they let me shoot all those brides...), so I had to aim over their heads. It certainly doesn't fit with the stereotype of Japanese people being nutty for photography!

Love your TR so far Carrie!!

Can't wait for more! I'd love love love to visit Japan!

I really hope you get a chance to! My aim with this trip report is to show people how accessible it is... and that they should just go for it! :goodvibes

The puppets are great! I love it! It is interesting how different countries advertise. We have boring advertising compared to Japan.

And shorter! I guess the average ad length over there is 15 seconds. :happytv:

I am so excited that I found your report! I am dying to visit Japan someday, hopefully once I am done school in a few years.

I remember reading your amazing wedding report so I was elated when I was browsing the Tokyo Disney forum and saw your familiar name.
I can't wait to read all about your trip!

You're so sweet - thanks for joining in! :flower3:

That 100% Chocolate Cafe makes me want to add Tokyo to my list of places to go!
mmm...Chocolate!

Definitely. I wish they'd franchise them... and then bring them to the US!

YAY! How adorable those puppets! I love the "jaw drop" expresssions and the octopus I want IT!!!!

Me too! He's definitely my favorite... :cutie:

Thanks for posting the ads. They were great! I enjoyed the behind the scenes video. It was neat to see how the videos with puppets are made...hello, green outfits

Yeaaaahhhh... I noticed the camera didn't linger too long on the guys - those green-screen suits show it all! :rotfl2:

And don't forget you ate prawn cocktail crisps and Cadburys creme eggs

My hips haven't forgotten... :rotfl:

About the breakfasts, did you have a traditional Japanese brekkie? If so what did it consist of?

I think we did... I know it usually consists of fish, salad, rice and soup—which sounds fabulous to me cuz I'm not a big fan of most cold American breakfasts (cereal, fruit, muffins). But my favorite is the traditional English breakfast! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your shopping tour, I loved the pics of the malls, they all look so posh. And those cute plush toys - I hope you got at least one?

No one can buy just one! :lmao: I think I got at least three...

Hope you're able to get to Barcelona this weekend!

Great updates!! Wow...Tokyo looks amazing!!! That chocolate store looked too cool..and i love love that stationary!

Seriously! SOOOOO much cute stationery. And cute stuffed animals. And candy. We always spend most of our WDW souvenir budget in Mitsukoshi department store, so Tokyo was kind of like shopping nirvana for us!

OMG Carrie those commercials are amazing. The puppets are so cuddly cute. You really have a truly talented hubby. Thanks for sharing that!

:hug: Thanks! I'll pass along the compliment!

I love the ads--well I can't understand a word of it, but the jaw dropping puppets certainly give you an idea of what's going on. They are super cute. Let us know where we can get an otter cell phone charm, I love them.

Does Patrick come up with the ideas for all the puppets and build them from scratch--or does the company come up with the concept and he takes it from there? Not trying to be too nosy, it's all just very fascinating to me.

Love all the shopping pictures. 100% Chocolate.....who wouldn't want to visit that shop? Very interesting TR, not sure if I will ever travel there, but I think you might be an inspiration for some fellow DISers.:thumbsup2

Welcome out of lurkdom! :wave2: And thanks for you kind comments! How exciting to have your first trip to Disneyland - I miss that "first-time" excitement, although I still love the place of course. Let me know if you need any tips or have any questions I might be able to answer about SoCal/Disneyland!

Like you don't have PLENTY to do already but if you do have any newbie tips to pass along about Disneyland, I would love to hear them. :flower3:

I just became a little nervous when it was announced that "World of Color" would debut two days before our arrival and I also realized that Grad Nights are scheduled for two evenings during our week there. We may not have chosen the best time to visit, but my hubby will be on R & R from Afghanistan so the Army basically chose for us. We are travelling with our DD 11 and 9.

If you have some advice for us, just PM me so I don't hijack your TR. ;) Thanks so much, Carrie! And I look forward to hearing more, more, more about Japan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter