To Prune or Not Prune Daylillies??

PlutoNY

Even if I did get rid of my problems, I would just
This is the first year that my daylillies really took off in a major way. (this was only the second year I had them)
Now that the season is over, I am not sure what to do with the stalks that are turning brown. I saw some websites that said never ever prune them and just pull out the stalks. Others said to prune them back to four inches.
Does anyone know? Thanks so much!!!

I just pull out the dead stalks and leaves with a good tug. I've never cut them back. With the season long bloomers like "Happy Returns" & "Stella de Oro" it keeps them blooming.
daylilly pics Stella de Oro
f27ecf15.jpg
Ming Toy
f27ece5c.jpg

Thanks Deb!! I will give them a good yank tomorrow and see what happens!!

Shoot. I've been cutting them. Is that why they haven't bloomed much? This is their first year and my first year of trying to grow anything.

raammartin said:
Shoot. I've been cutting them. Is that why they haven't bloomed much?
Depends on what you cut. Once the repeat bloom daylily has started a seed head you should dead head them. That means snap or cut off the head. Then once the shoots from the blooms have dried out you can pull them right out to clean up the plant. You might try scratching in used coffee grounds around the base of each plant. They may just need a boost :sunny:

DebºoºS said:
Depends on what you cut. Once the repeat bloom daylily has started a seed head you should dead head them. That means snap or cut off the head. Then once the shoots from the blooms have dried out you can pull them right out to clean up the plant. You might try scratching in used coffee grounds around the base of each plant. They may just need a boost :sunny:

Deb, so once a bloom/bud pops up take it off? What is a seed head? Sorry, I'm so new at this! I can't even keep an ivy alive. :confused3

raammartin said:
Deb, so once a bloom/bud pops up take it off? What is a seed head?
Tried to find a pic of one but couldn't. It's this green thing at the top of the stalk after the flower falls off. You'll see after awhile. I have quite a few plants so I usually just yank out the brown stalks and any discolored leaves to tidy them up.

Oh, Deb, NOW I know what you mean! I've cut those before. I guess I should just keep cutting them then. How do daylillies fair through the fall/winter months? Do I need to cut them all the way back? I have mine in a mailbox bed.

THANKS!!!

They are sooooo hardy. I have them by the mailbox also. They die down to the ground around the end of October here. At that point I yank out all the dried leaves and they're good to go for the winter. Your winters are mild so you may have a nice long season to enjoy them. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter