To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I had to look back at your initial discussion for how long your plan is and wow, that's a long plan! I don't think my body could tolerate that much, but this is such an unusual plan compared to the usual suspects that I remain fascinated how it turns out.

I had to look back at your initial discussion for how long your plan is and wow, that's a long plan! I don't think my body could tolerate that much, but this is such an unusual plan compared to the usual suspects that I remain fascinated how it turns out.

I was in a grey weird place when it started in terms of weeks to race day. I had 30 weeks to go, and the plan is suppose to be about 24 weeks (4 weeks Intro, 4 weeks General, 6 weeks Fundamental, and 10 weeks Specific). But I just extended the Intro portion (which wasn't stressful in the least) to 10 weeks. Outside of a few runs, it hasn't been that challenging yet. That'll change though.

I was in a grey weird place when it started in terms of weeks to race day. I had 30 weeks to go, and the plan is suppose to be about 24 weeks (4 weeks Intro, 4 weeks General, 6 weeks Fundamental, and 10 weeks Specific). But I just extended the Intro portion (which wasn't stressful in the least) to 10 weeks. Outside of a few runs, it hasn't been that challenging yet. That'll change though.
Was the intro portion really that different than your usual routine of maintenance running? Or pretty much just status quo for you?

Was the intro portion really that different than your usual routine of maintenance running? Or pretty much just status quo for you?

It's actually pretty rare that I'm not "in" a training plan. So it's atypical for me to just be doing maintenance. But the intro phase is probably not terribly different than what maintenance running would be. There was a 60 min run limit per day, there was no true pace work (but there were hill workouts), and strength lifting was the true focus (although Canova also placed an emphasis on HIIT work too). Ultimately it was holding me at about 40-45 miles and 6 hrs per week of running. So that's about 66% of peak (9.25 hrs and 66 miles) which is a good place to be for maintenance.

If I had started training earlier, then I probably would have done a mile focused training plan in Spring, and then rolled into the Canova M training plan with a lesser intro phase.

I can't tell if you're kidding, but yeah one idea would be very lightweight green tights and a very lightweight green long-sleeve under the outfit. The whole thing over the face is a bridge too far for me! If Springtime Surprise somehow turns out to be a Marvel race it will be hard to resist signing up and trying at least.
I did wear a green tech shirt with a She-Hulk iron-on, and a purple running skirt in my first WDW Marathon. Heard a few spectators yell "Go Mrs. Hulk!!!!" so I'm not sure anybody really knew who she was at the time. Would be fun to try for real.
My wife found this really great SheHulk running costume on line. This store has great stuff! https://www.etsy.com/listing/129065...ck_sum=71b9408b&ref=shop_home_active_11&frs=1

9 Weeks to go - Canova Specific Phase - Week 1/10

200w.gif

9/5/22-9/11/22
Tues (9/6): Canova Marathon Alternations
Wed (9/7): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:29 min/mile, 126 bpm)
Thurs (9/8): 11 miles @ 80% M Tempo (8:24 min/mile, 131 bpm)
Fri (9/9): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:16 min/mile, 132 bpm)
Sat (9/10): Canova 100 + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
Sun (9/11): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:05 min/mile, 125 bpm) + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps

Total Run Miles - 54.9 miles
Total Run Time - 7:38 hours
Total Strength Time - 1:02 hours
Total Training Time - 8:41 hours

Tuesday

Alright, here we go. All of the previous 20 weeks of training were leading to being prepared to take on the last 10 weeks of training. The Canova Specific Phase. New rules as we enter the Specific phase. No more T+D adjustments are allowed on the hard workouts. You do the scheduled pace. Canova asks for this because of the muscle memory of running at specific paces. If the weather isn't great for a workout, then move the workout to a different time of day or different day. If you can't move the workout, then you do it as assigned. If you can't keep up with the assigned workout, then the workout is over. Specificity, specificity, specificity.

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 3mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 53°F + 53°F; FL - 53°F
End: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 57°F; FL - 53°F

4 sets of (12 min 100% M Tempo + 3 min 95% M Tempo + 3 min 110% M Tempo + 1km 70% M Tempo)

No T+D adjustments allowed in Specific Phase

100% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:02 min/mile
95% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:23 min/mile
110% M Tempo Goal Pace = 6:20 min/mile
70% M Tempo = 9:09 min/mile

We're starting off the specific phase with a marathon alternations workout. You hold pace, then you slow a little, then you pick up the pace a ton, and then you run at a recovery pace (but no walking allowed).

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 1.14.49 PM.png

Actual Splits:
100% M Tempo = 7:24, 6:59, 7:06, 7:06
95% M Tempo = 7:40, 7:20, 7:53, 8:12
110% M Tempo = 6:44, 6:37, 6:44, 7:13
70% M Tempo = 8:55, 9:04, 8:57, 8:58

Grade Adj Splits:
100% M Tempo = 7:14, 7:01, 7:09, 7:09
95% M Tempo = 7:36, 7:19, 7:43, 7:42
110% M Tempo = 6:44, 6:36, 6:41, 6:56
70% M Tempo = 8:58, 8:22, 8:41, 8:55

T+D effect about 4 sec/mile.

I took the day off from work so I could get the mid-week run done early in the morning. Plus, I don't like doing >90 min runs during the mid-week. I went full race mode on the nutrition pre-run. From memory, I was feeling pretty good going into the run. I was worried about the left calf from the week prior but it nor the upper leg bone area caused any issues. So full green light.

The legs just didn't want to get in the groove at the start. Although in due time things started to open up a bit more. The first mile was a tad slow at a 7:18, but then as I started to go uphill the pace picked up closer to goal for the second half of the 12 min interval (7:07). Although running up that hill isn't easy at M Tempo pace. Then it came to slowing down for a touch to 7:23 goal pace. This was harder than expected. I just couldn't easily find the pace for that short 3 min period of time. I designed my route so that the 6:20 interval would be on flat ground. That 6:20 is like 5k/10k pace. So it's quite the challenge to drop to that pace for 3 min after doing 15 min of M Tempo. I gave it a good effort, but despite putting in a good bit of effort couldn't get all the way down to 6:20 (only got to 6:44). With as hard as the reps were, I was able to maintain a good recovery pace between them.

The second rep was eventful. At some point my right foot went numb and I was running on air. The pace was good, but I couldn't really feel my foot. As soon as I finished the 12 min M Tempo rep I stopped the watch and tried re-tying my shoe. It definitely helped. I don't believe it was an issue for much of the rest of the run. Pace was decent through the M Tempo section at 7:01 adjusted, and much closer on the 7:23 goal (7:19) as well. Still couldn't get down to 5k/10k pace on the 3 min kick rep (6:36). At some point during the recovery rep I had a car crossing the 4-way so I stopped my watch. But as soon as I started running again, I forgot to start my watch. So I was running for about 0.2 miles before I just happened to look down and see that I was still paused.

It was the third or fourth rep that I really felt locked in. The pace felt easier. Still hard to get to the 7:23 pace and the 6:20 pace. I was really dragging on the fourth kick rep (finished at 6:56 GAP). Didn't make it to a flat area in time for this kick rep. So it was really tough.

This was a really tough workout. It ended up being about 10 total miles of M Tempo type pace (1:12:03 and 10.04 miles in 7:11 pace). I felt pretty tapped out after it was over. In some places I was on pace, and in others I just didn't find the right ones. I'm pretty happy with how the workout played out overall. It would be nice to hit that 110% pace, but just didn't have it in me.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 4mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 68°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 68°F; FL - 79°F

Right ankle was very upset with me after Tuesday's run. I didn't really have any issues during Tuesday itself, but it definitely made itself known on Wednesday. I tried to stretch it out a little. It wasn't too much of an issue during the run itself.

Thursday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 69°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 68°F; FL - 79°F

Looking ahead, I had the Canova 100 on Sunday. But the weather was forecasted to be an absolute downpour for the entire day. Like the forecast showed the rain starting at like 4-5pm on Saturday and ending around noon on Monday. And a ton of rain too (forecasted at 3.5 inches). So I didn't want anything to do with that for the Canova 100 workout. The plan was to move the Canova 100 to Saturday. The question was what I should do on Thursday. Should I do 90 min at 85% M Tempo as originally planned? Should I cap at 60 min? Should I do something a bit slower for 90 min? Ultimately I decided just to let my body choose in the moment. Whatever felt right is what I would do. That ended up being 90 min at 80% M Tempo pace. The run was fairly uneventful other than a tiny tweak in my left calf. Not the same spot as last week. This was higher up on the calf. I've had this spot before when I push too hard on a particular uphill. I was a little concerned since that type of injury lingers for about a week, and I was planning on doing the Canova 100 on the Jack/Jill route (read: hills). I put some ice on it that evening.

Friday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 63°F; FL - 78°F
End: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 63°F; FL - 78°F

No issues during the run. Just took it nice and easy. I had to pick Steph up at work so it was a bit of a rush and wasn't sure I could get the full 60 min workout in. But ultimately I did.

Saturday

With nine weeks until race day, Canova schedules a 100 min at 100% M Tempo or minimal half marathon at M Tempo (whichever comes second), with the caveat that to continue you must maintain goal pace. Arguably one of the hardest workout of the training cycle. No T+D adjustments allowed in Specific Phase. If you fall off pace, the workout is over.

It was an early morning. Steph had to go to work, so I had to be back before 7:30am. With a 100 min workout on tap, I was up at 4:30am and out the door at 5:30am.

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 56°F; FL - 59°F
End: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 56°F; FL - 59°F

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.03.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.03.54 PM.png

Actual Pace = 7:12 min/mile
Grade Adj Pace = 7:07 min/mile

T+D effect about 4 sec/mile.

I did a short little WU and then off I went. Despite the early morning and the short period from waking (usually my nemesis) the legs were really flying early. The goal for the first half mile was to hit the top of the hill at about 7:20 pace. I hit at 7:17 and knew I was in a good place. I couldn't get the downhills to be as fast as I wanted them to be. Altogether they should have been around 6:47 min/mile and I did each of the downs in 6:56, 6:54, 6:57, and 7:00. The uphill was supposed to be 7:25 pace and I did them in 7:20 and 7:30. So I felt better on the up than the down. I finished the first 5 mile lap in 36 min (7:12) pace. I knew I was slightly off pace, but not by much. So I decided to do another lap. I finished the second 5 mile lap in 36 min (7:12) pace as well, but I could tell based on the latter half of those splits that I was slowly starting to fade. So with that in mind, I decided to pull the plug at 10 miles. I was really hoping to keep it going through 13 (or the full 100 min) but it wasn't my day in that moment. I could have kept going at 7:12 pace, but I wasn't going to get down to 7:02 pace anytime soon.

So if I were allowed to use the T+D adjustment we are looking at 7:08 (7:03 GAP) pace. So despite being off pace, the adjustment does put me near target. The first 5 mile lap was 36:00 min and the second 5 mile lap was 36:00 min. I'm not overly concerned about failing this one as I fully expect better temps in nine weeks. The HR is very good and realistic based on high-end historical marathon HR performance. My grade adjusted pacing was on point for the jack/jill course which simulates the rolling hills of Madison. Overall I'm pleased with the workout despite it being a "fail" in that I had to pull the plug early. The 7:02 pace for 13.11 miles would have been a 1:32:12 which would rank as my 3rd fastest HM out of 20 HMs completed. Even the 7:12 pace maintained would have been a 4th fastest HM. So it's not like doing 10 miles at 7:12 on the Jack/Jill route is anything to scoff at. Especially at a HR of 145. Best part, the legs felt decent. No pain issues to be concerned about. I'll take that every day all day.

These next nine weeks are going to be interesting. The timing of this Canova 100 is very much like when I would normally schedule my marathon based on normal routine. And my body felt good for the run, but maybe wouldn't have been able to maintain the pace the whole time. It'll be interesting to see how the last nine weeks play out and how much that makes a difference towards performance.

I did the LIIFT4 workout afterwards.

Sunday

Conditions - 🌧 Rain, Wind 15mph to 30mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 55°F + 54°F; FL - 55°F
End: Temp+Dew = 55°F + 55°F; FL - 55°F

Rain. Rain. Like... lots of rain. I feel bad for the Ironman WI athletes. The body felt surprisingly good. Normally after a max M Tempo (10 mile) run the body feels pretty beat up. But I felt fine. If I had more time available I could have easily done 90 min at a comfortable pace.

I did the LIIFT4 workout afterwards.

On tap next week is a couple 11 mile 85% workouts, a 13 mile 95% workout on Wednesday, and then my first attempt at the Canova Special Double (35 min at 80% + 35 min at 100%) in both an AM and PM workout. That 95% effort will be a good test since that's my current marathon PR pace (7:23). Overall, happy with how the body feels and looking forward to a few more tests.

Ms. Marvel - Finishing the foam fist construction and painting (part 1)!
-Initial Design and Working on the Bracelet
-Fun with magnets
-Bengal Painting
-Making the Top of the Fist

Man, I'm so behind on updating the progress we've been making on the Ms Marvel fist. We last left off with having finished the top of the fist, and working on the bottom of the fist. Well I didn't do a great job of taking any interim pictures during the process of making the bottom of the fist. The ultimate goal was to keep the proportions of the thumb in line with the other fingers, and secondly I made the top of the thumb a magnet connection so that once lights were placed inside they could still be accessible post-finishing.

thumbnail_IMG_4821.jpeg

Not a great picture, but the best interim one I've got.

Once the whole fist was finished, then it was working on the connection between the fist and bracelet. This wasn't terribly difficult because it was all about using magnets again. A couple of trials and errors, and then it worked well. The magnets allowed the two pieces to be separate and conjoined when needed.

So we finally made it to the "fun part" as G said. The painting! We wanted the fist to look both during the day and at night. So it needs to be painted well, but also look decent when it's lit up too.

The first thing we needed to determine was, what do the lights look like under different painting conditions. Originally, I had planned on using programmable Adafruit lights (Neopixels + adafruit chip) but after some introspection decided that was probably too advanced for this project. I decided to go with fairy lights (thin wired LED lights) like I used for the Vision cape. Except this time I wanted the fairy lights to be powered by AA batteries instead of a USB power bank (because the power bank caused issues last time). I found cheap fairy lights from Target that had a remote with several color options. I did four different painting method combinations:

1) One layer color paint with no black background
2) One layer color paint with black background
3) Two layers color paint with no black background
4) Two layers color paint with black background

Without the lights on:

thumbnail_IMG_4838.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4839.jpeg

With the lights on:
thumbnail_IMG_4837.jpeg

We all agreed that two layers of color paint, and a black background looks the best. Looks good during the day and would look good at night (with fairy lights on).

So we painted the inside of the fist black.

thumbnail_IMG_4818.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4819.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4820.jpeg

Then we pulled out the paints and did them in a sequence of four colors: blue, purple, hot pink, and light pink.

thumbnail_IMG_4822.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4825.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4826.jpeg

I'm at my 10 picture limit, so I'll catch up on more painting in the next update.

Next post: Painting (part 2)

Last edited:
Ms. Marvel - Painting (part 2)!
-Fun with magnets
-Bengal Painting
-Finishing the foam fist construction and painting (part 1)!

More painting!

thumbnail_IMG_4827.jpeg

And of course.... I didn't take any picture after that until we had the finished product. The goal was to make the fingers clearly different than the hand portion. So the fingers were were solid colors, and then the hand area was made to look like a diamond pattern (geometrical design like the MCU Ms Marvel fist being made by hardlight).

thumbnail_IMG_4833.jpeg

So that's looking at the finished fist from the head-on angle.

thumbnail_IMG_4834.jpeg

Pinky finger side view.

thumbnail_IMG_4832.jpeg

Thumb side view.

thumbnail_IMG_4835.jpeg

The magnet connection between the bracelet and fist.

But.... how would it look when the lights were turned on....

thumbnail_IMG_4828.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4829.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4830.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4831.jpeg

If I have to say so myself, home run! It turned out as G and I had dreamed.

We'll cover the inner construction of the lights inside the fist at a later time (we're finally caught back up to where we are today in the process). But as you can see from the below picture the battery pack fits nicely in the base of the finger spot we had pre-planned.
thumbnail_IMG_4836.jpeg

So as for finishing up the fist. We determined that the magnets between the top and bottom are capable of holding it together with the battery pack inside. That was a critical step. Next is locking it down in position (plan to use velcro tape) and then wire the lights around the bottom of the first (thinking of using transluscent 3m hooks), and lastly we need to put a bar inside the fist so G has something to hold on to. So not many things left to finish the fist off. Then we have some work to do on her actual clothing costume, and then we've got tons of work to do on my costume still. But I feel like we've made a lot of progress the last few days.

Next post - Finishing the inside and installing the lights!

Last edited:
Ms. Marvel - Painting (part 2)!
-Fun with magnets
-Bengal Painting
-Finishing the foam fist construction and painting (part 1)!

More painting!

View attachment 701954

And of course.... I didn't take any picture after that until we had the finished product. The goal was to make the fingers clearly different than the hand portion. So the fingers were were solid colors, and then the hand area was made to look like a diamond pattern (geometrical design like the MCU Ms Marvel fist being made by hardlight).

View attachment 701960

So that's looking at the finished fist from the head-on angle.

View attachment 701961

Pinky finger side view.

View attachment 701959

Thumb side view.

View attachment 701962

The magnet connection between the bracelet and fist.

But.... how would it look when the lights were turned on....

View attachment 701955

View attachment 701956

View attachment 701957

View attachment 701958

If I have to say so myself, home run! It turned out as G and I had dreamed.

We'll cover the inner construction of the lights inside the fist at a later time (we're finally caught back up to where we are today in the process). But as you can see from the below picture the battery pack fits nicely in the base of the finger spot we had pre-planned.
View attachment 701963

So as for finishing up the fist. We determined that the magnets between the top and bottom are capable of holding it together with the battery pack inside. That was a critical step. Next is locking it down in position (plan to use velcro tape) and then wire the lights around the bottom of the first (thinking of using transluscent 3m hooks), and lastly we need to put a bar inside the fist so G has something to hold on to. So not many things left to finish the fist off. Then we have some work to do on her actual clothing costume, and then we've got tons of work to do on my costume still. But I feel like we've made a lot of progress the last few days.
That looks really great!

Ms. Marvel - Finishing the foam fist construction and painting (part 1)!
-Fun with magnets
-Bengal Painting

Man, I'm so behind on updating the progress we've been making on the Ms Marvel fist. We last left off with having finished the top of the fist, and working on the bottom of the fist. Well I didn't do a great job of taking any interim pictures during the process of making the bottom of the fist. The ultimate goal was to keep the proportions of the thumb in line with the other fingers, and secondly I made the top of the thumb a magnet connection so that once lights were placed inside they could still be accessible post-finishing.

View attachment 701924

Not a great picture, but the best interim one I've got.

Once the whole fist was finished, then it was working on the connection between the fist and bracelet. This wasn't terribly difficult because it was all about using magnets again. A couple of trials and errors, and then it worked well. The magnets allowed the two pieces to be separate and conjoined when needed.

So we finally made it to the "fun part" as G said. The painting! We wanted the fist to look both during the day and at night. So it needs to be painted well, but also look decent when it's lit up too.

The first thing we needed to determine was, what do the lights look like under different painting conditions. Originally, I had planned on using programmable Adafruit lights (Neopixels + adafruit chip) but after some introspection decided that was probably too advanced for this project. I decided to go with fairy lights (thin wired LED lights) like I used for the Vision cape. Except this time I wanted the fairy lights to be powered by AA batteries instead of a USB power bank (because the power bank caused issues last time). I found cheap fairy lights from Target that had a remote with several color options. I did four different painting method combinations:

1) One layer color paint with no black background
2) One layer color paint with black background
3) Two layers color paint with no black background
4) Two layers color paint with black background

Without the lights on:

View attachment 701926

View attachment 701929

With the lights on:
View attachment 701947

We all agreed that two layers of color paint, and a black background looks the best. Looks good during the day and would look good at night (with fairy lights on).

So we painted the inside of the fist black.

View attachment 701928

View attachment 701927

View attachment 701925

Then we pulled out the paints and did them in a sequence of four colors: blue, purple, hot pink, and light pink.

View attachment 701920

View attachment 701923

View attachment 701922

I'm at my 10 picture limit, so I'll catch up on more painting in the next update.

Next post: Painting (part 2)
The best part is that it turned into a daddy-daughter project. I'm all about creating those core memories.

The best part is that it turned into a daddy-daughter project. I'm all about creating those core memories.

Yes, from the start this was always about creating a hobby project together. She likes to dress up, and the natural progression as an older child/teenager/adult is cosplay if that's something she wants to continue. So we're learning those skills together right now as a joint hobby.

8 Weeks to go - Canova Specific Phase - Week 2/10

giphy (1).gif

9/12/22-9/18/22
Tues (9/13): 11.2 miles @ 85% M Tempo w/ strides (8:06 min/mile, 134 bpm)
Wed (9/14): 13 miles @ 90% M Tempo (7:24 min/mile, 139 bpm)
Thurs (9/15): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:28 min/mile, 126 bpm)
Fri (9/16): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:30 min/mile, 125 bpm)
Sat (9/17): Canova Special Marathon Block AM & PM (Double workout)
Sun (9/18): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:05 min/mile, 125 bpm) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri

Total Run Miles - 62.9 miles
Total Run Time - 8:46 hours
Total Strength Time - 0:27 hours
Total Training Time - 9:14 hours

Tuesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 4mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 60°F; FL - 71°F
End: Temp+Dew = 67°F + 60°F; FL - 71°F

I don't remember anything specific about this run. Pretty sure the body was feeling relatively decent most of the week.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.04.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.04.32 PM.png

Saw the same kid I saw last week that mentioned to me that his mom was a big fan of mine. Found me to be inspirational. So he asked me to ring the doorbell at his house and surprise his mom. They're new to the neighborhood, so I obliged for a little of my time. Short chat about running, my history, her history, and some advice for getting back into things after a long break. Told her the first step is to find 10-15 min tomorrow morning.

ETA - Forgot to mention the strides. Been a while since my body felt good enough to do some strides. I was happy how my body felt at 4-5 min/mile pace.

Wednesday

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 3mph to 4mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 52°F + 51°F; FL - 52°F
End: Temp+Dew = 56°F + 55°F; FL - 52°F

Took the day off from work so I could get some great running temps. Not quite ideal, but pretty darn close. It was glorious. The goal for this workout (95% M Tempo) represents my current marathon PR pace. This was done on the Jack/Jill route.

95% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:23 min/mile
No T+D adjustment allowed in Canova Specific Phase

T+D effect would have been 5 sec/mile

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.09.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.09.46 PM.png

Actual Pace = 7:24 min/mile
Grade Adj Pace = 7:19 min/mile

Felt reasonably comfortable coming off last night's 90 min 85% M Tempo workout. HR in a great place comparative to last year's effort (about 5-8 bpm less right now). So getting closer to having the endurance match the cardio gains I've made. I never felt overly challenged and that's a good thing for a 13 mile run at current M Tempo pace. The grade adjusted pacing was absolutely solid hovering in a nice tight range. Pretty sure the body came out of this feeling pretty good.

Thursday

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 66°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 66°F; FL - 75°F

Simple easy run. The forecast for Sunday showed thunderstorms in the morning and evening. I was scheduled for the Canova Special Marathon Block double workout, so having thunderstorms for both of the runs wasn't ideal. I decided to play it safe and move the double workout to Saturday. So with that in mind, I was going to have one less easy day between the 13 miler on Wed and this set of workouts. So the goal on Thurs/Fri was to keep it easy. Low and slow. I believe my left hamstring twinged a bit during this run.

Friday

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 12mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 66°F; FL - 77°F
End: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 66°F; FL - 77°F

Had to make quick work of this one so I could pick Steph up from work. The left hamstring was mostly fine but twinged a little during the run. Not the feeling I wanted heading into a double workout

Saturday

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 61°F; FL - 64°F
End: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 62°F; FL - 64°F

Game time! A double run workout. But not any double. A double hard workout. Can't say I wasn't a tad nervous about this. I mean neither workout on its own was extremely challenging. But doing it twice in a day is a challenge. Add in that I'm in a good place right now and don't want to injure myself, I was eager to see how this played out. Steph had to work on Saturday, so that meant an early morning (up at 5am and out at 6am). Although to be fair, given the double workout and the desire for cooler weather, I would probably have aimed for this time anyways. I hoped it would be cooler, but I take what I get.

Daily double repeat of the same workout:

35 min @ 85% M Tempo + 35 min @ 100% M Tempo

Optional Stimulus: Consume no carbs between workouts (I'm not doing this part)

85% M Tempo Goal Pace = 8:05 min/mile

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.20.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.20.44 PM.png

85% Actual Pace = 8:10 min/mile
85% Grade Adj Pace = 8:05 min/mile

100% Actual Pace = 7:15 min/mile
100% Grade Adj Pace = 7:10 min/mile

T+D effect was about 9 sec/mile

Took a little bit to get in the groove, but eventually things opened up a bit more. I was a touch slow on the 85% M Tempo portion, but I was comfortable with that. I was definitely feeling hungry during the run. Once I wrapped up the first 35 min, it was time to kick it up a notch. I took off my tracer360 lights, and buckled in. That first 0.21 miles before I hit the 4.5 mile mark (to get back on my GAP memorized adjustments) was too slow. But after that, I started clicking off GAP splits down much closer to the 7:02 goal. Still more comfortable with the uphill running than the downhill running. The downhill just beats me up. I was really feeling it for the last 1.6 miles. I held on for the finish though. Not too shabby overall with the T+D adjusted and grade adjusted splits put me pretty close to goal.

My right hip felt a little sore throughout the day after the AM run. By the time it was time to get ready for the PM run, the hip was feeling better and less of a concern. The eating pattern was tough to time up. So I felt a little hungry before the PM run and had some PB and took a Maurten gel with me in case.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 10mph to 23mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 68°F; FL - 73°F
End: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 67°F; FL - 73°F

Was hoping that it wouldn't be as warm as it would. As not ideal as the AM session was, this was worse. Thankfully it was overcast and the sun set before I finished.

Second run of the day. Repeat of the AM workout:

35 min @ 85% M Tempo + 35 min @ 100% M Tempo

Optional Stimulus: Consume no carbs between workouts (I did not do this)

85% M Tempo Goal Pace = 8:05 min/mile

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.33.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.33.56 PM.png

85% Actual Pace = 7:57 min/mile
85% Grade Adj Pace = 7:52 min/mile

100% Actual Pace = 7:21 min/mile
100% Grade Adj Pace = 7:16 min/mile

T+D effect was about 16 sec/mile

Right out the gate my legs felt surprisingly good. Reminiscent of runDisney weekends with multiple races. There was some fatigue, but the legs felt snappy. Honestly, almost too snappy. I was running too quick, but ultimately just decided to ride the wave and hope that it wouldn't come back to bit me. Narrator: It did. LOL. Lesson learned in being too aggressive. But I did 4.2 miles in the AM and did 4.4 miles in the PM for the 85% M Tempo section. While I wasn't at pace during the 100% M Tempo section, I was pretty consistent. The downhills still ate me up though and I struggled to speed up enough. The legs were challenged late in the run, but I was able to hold on. Finished at 9.18 miles vs 9.11 miles in the AM. Given the increase in T+D for the PM session, it's definitely a good showing. If we adjust both workouts for T+D and grade, we're pretty much even between the two sessions at a 7:01 pace in the AM and 7:00 pace in the PM.

Overall, no complaints from me. I performed well during this double workout. The pacing was good and my body held up well.

Sunday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 65°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 67°F; FL - 67°F

Steph worked again, so I was up early again (thankfully not as early). Body felt alright all things considered. I took it nice and slow though.

Brings to an end a good week. The data continues to suggest I'm in a good place. I've got 8 weeks to go. I'm feeling like my endurance is starting to catch up with my cardio. This was a heavy week at 63 miles and nearly 9 hrs of running. Next week backs off a little with only one hard workout and several moderate ones. The hard workout is a doozy with 6 sets of 1km at 6:50 and 1km at 7:15 with no breaks between. So we'll see how I handle that one. The weather looks like it is going to break and we're going to start getting some sub-100 days.

Also on a side note, I want to say thanks to all the readers. This training journal passed half a million views. It's been a fun 6.5 years of journaling and I hope you've gotten as much out of this journal as I have. Thanks!

Last edited:
You’re doing great with this plan. It’s impressive because this plan looks nuts to me!! I really hope you stay healthy so we can see the fruits of your labor!

Thanks! I would say Hansons Advanced is probably a harder plan. That 2 hard and 1 long run every week is pretty tough. Some of these Canova hard runs are pretty hard, but most weeks only have 1-2 hard or a long run. Some of the Daniels runs were tougher. But the Canova plan isn’t done yet, and there’s some tough ones left.

Wait -- Your neighbor is a fan just from seeing you around the neighborhood, or from the internet? So nice of you to reach out!

From around the neighborhood. She’s new to the neighborhood. So she’s probably not used to seeing someone run by their house over and over and over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter