To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

The Non-Cancelled Marathon Recap

2021 Non-Cancelled Marathon Prediction Game!
The Non-Cancelled Marathon Strategy

Let's rewind and start this recap on last Sunday. I completed my last long run of 60 min and everything felt reasonable during the run. The HRvPace relationship had fallen off a bit, but the Garmin VO2max 57. That evening we went for a family walk and my left leg was sore on the backside below the knee. Essentially where I had a stress fracture in Jan 2018 on my right leg. Taper Madness definitely takes a toll on me. All throughout Monday and Tuesday, my leg was protesting that there was a stress fracture. I did the jump test and it didn't go well. But I just trying to convince myself that the chance of a stress fracture was low. I did Tuesday's 2x5 min M Tempo run in the heat. The left leg was a non-issue. Of course it was. Afterwards, I was doing post-run stretching and my quad knee spots bilaterally where very sore. So now it was a run through of my Disney 2020 injury. Seems like these tapers always become a "Greatest Hits Tour" of past injuries. I did light cycling on Wed/Thurs, and then Friday was a short 20 min run. The knees were good, but the left leg was noticeable again. Finally, all the training was done and it was time for race prep.

I followed my modified Western Australian carb loading method on Friday. Steph was bust with Dizzy outside, so I ended up weighing myself downstairs. I was surprised to see I was 186 pounds. According to my weight records, this would tie my heaviest weight since January 2015. So of my fourteen previous marathons, this would be tied for the heaviest with Dopey 2015. Granted I wasn't overly concerned about it since training has been going well at this weight. So with a known weight, I aimed towards 11-12 kg carbs/kg bw.

thumbnail_IMG_3880.jpeg

I ended up consuming 950 grams of carbs for 11.25 g/kg bw. It was relatively easy to accomplish and never felt like much of a chore.

We went to Target and picked up a cooler for my water bottles. I also picked up some Biofreeze spray in the event I needed something to give momentary relief to a pain I was having. Possibly if my knees were flaring up again. I tried a test spot on Friday afternoon. It took about 3-4 min before I could feel anything and then the cold sensation lasted for about an hour.

Dizzy was not feeling well and had diarrhea starting Friday morning. So that was stressful especially as it got later in the day and got worse. Steph ended up sleeping downstairs with the dog and had to take her outside like every hour. G and I discussed what I should think about when the race gets tough. She said I should listen to the Greatest Showman soundtrack when things get tough.

Saturday morning I was up at 3:40am. I showered, and then ate a PB sandwich and banana at 4:20am. I also drank some liquid IV, and in total about 16oz of water. Dizzy had an accident on the carpet and so that threw a wrench in the morning routine. Finally we were out the door at 5:00am headed towards Oconomowoc. The wind was almost non-existant. So we were hopeful there wouldn't be any wind. Nice and easy drive and we were at the race location at about 5:45am. I used the bathroom, got my race packet, and then went and stretched. Did a short 8-9 min warmup. It was funny because once I headed south on the path the wind was more noticeable. I had a bucket with a water bottle in it that I placed near the start for my 13.11 mile bottle. As I did my warm-up I found a bench about 0.25 mile down the path and so I went back and brought the bucket to that spot. That way it was higher off the ground and made it easier for me to grab the bottle. I had my Maurten at about 6:50am, got lined up at my cone, and then prepared to start running. 3... 2.... 1.... go!

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 14mph to 31mph (gust to 45)
Start: Temp+Dew = 44°F + 34°F; FL - 38°F
End: Temp+Dew = 56°F + 39°F; FL - 38°F

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.11.04 AM.png

Lap 1 - 49:06 - 6.55 miles - 7:30 min/mile - 3:16:30 pace

I had forgotten I was still wearing my mask when I crossed the start line. So I worked on trying to get it off. But headphones with ear loops and a mask don't mix well. So that was an adventure for the first 100m or so trying to get the mask off without losing my headphones. Eventually I did and could settle in to my pace. Throughout this race I was keeping an eye on my pace and my HR data. Going into the race, my goal was to approach each loop with set pace limits. So the first loop was a 7:20 min/mile limit. But all the while I was also keeping an eye on my HR data to ensure I stayed around 148 or less. Since 148 has been my historical average marathon HR.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.13.52 AM.png

The wind was fairly noticeable, but not terrible. I've definitely run in worse. My body liked the 7:40 pace to start, so I didn't force anything. The breathing was good and it didn't really feel like that much effort throughout this first loop. Despite not getting down much towards the lower limit of a 7:20 min/mile, I wasn't really concerned about it. This was a big step forward for me and racing. I was looking at my pace and my HR data and not allowing it to negatively effect me given this was not the pace I had trained at/for or had used for predicting my performance. I saw Steph at 4.5 miles and she passed me my first water bottle. I also consumed my first swig of concentrated Tailwind at 45 min into the race. When running in the north direction with the wind, it didn't feel as if I was getting any boost at all. But you could tell from the clothing and facial expressions from the runners heading south that the wind was an issue for them. I got to the end of the first lap. We were to run over the timing mat, around the sandwich board, and then back over the timing mat. But I just did a quick over and back on the timing mat without going around the sandwich board.

Lap 2 - 49:19 - 13.11 miles - 7:32 min/mile - 3:16:50 pace - HM split 1:38:25

Alright, so the original pace goal was to move to a 7:15 min/mile for this lap. But after the first lap, I could tell my HR was near marathon average around a 7:27 min/mile. So I didn't try and push it down to 7:15 pace. Instead I decided to maintain pace and effort. The wind was definitely stronger now than it was during the first lap.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.22.57 AM.png

I was feeling pretty good about where I was at. Given the HR and pace, I was going to be close to a PR of 3:14 if I could find some room to push the pace in the second half. So I just stayed really relaxed and easy. My breathing was good, no real effort, the legs were still feeling strong. Despite all the taper madness, I wasn't really having any issues during the race. Which was a nice relief. I had Maurten Caff gel at 60 min, and Egel at 75 min. Steph handed me a water bottle at the 8 mile mark as well. Things were going well. I started to see other runners heading back to the south as I was coming in to finishing my 2nd lap. Now I could tell who was a marathon runner since they were on their 3rd lap. I counted about 30 or so people that were ahead of me. I got my water bottle out of my bucket with no issue. Drank that through the end of the second lap. I came to the end of the second lap feeling good and happy about the 1:38:25 split. I knew with some work I might be able to get something close to a PR, and if not, that's ok too. Things were going well.

Lap 3 - 51:56 - 19.66 miles - 7:56 min/mile - 3:20:31 pace - 19.66 mile split 2:30:21

Well things were going well until I literally took the HM turn for my 3rd lap. This time around I didn't do just a quick out and back over the mat. This time I went past the mat around the sandwich board and then back over the mat. This was all on a sidewalk. The turn at the half mark (3.27 miles away) was a wider bike path. So there was enough room to maneuver. But I took this turn on the sidewalk too quick. And so despite my best effort I was falling off the side of the sidewalk. I tweaked my right ankle pretty good, and then put my left leg down awkwardly to avoid falling. I might have said a few expletives as well. But I didn't think it was much of a big deal and I continued on. The wind was definitely stronger for the 3rd lap. Things were going ok for the first hundred meters, and then I could tell something was up with my left leg upper quad. An area that was not any concern during any of training. It was sore and somewhat painful. So within the span of a few minutes, I went from almost no effort to suddenly feeling a soreness pain in my quad. I tried to push it out of my head, but it was pretty clear it was going to be an issue for the remainder of the run.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.39.51 AM.png

At 1:45 I had my second drink of Tailwind concentrate, at 2:00 was Maurten caff gel, and I pushed the Egel to about 2:25 instead of 2:15 because of the slowing in pace. I stopped looking at my HR as much as the pace started to fall. I felt like in the moment the pace was falling because of the injury and maybe some of the wind being so strong now. But in retrospect analysis, that you can see my HR is still near marathon average (148) despite the pace falling from 7:28 to 7:49. Mile 17 would encompass heading into the wind and getting the wind at my back at the midpoint turn. Steph and I had discussed I would put my arms in an "X" if I needed the Biofreeze. I considered it, but then decided it wasn't worth it given how the run was going up till that point. So at mile 18 ish she passed me another water bottle and I was on my way. I could see the leaders making their start to their 4th lap. It was fun to watch them. Runners A and B had been together for most of the first half of the race. Runner C was usually a good 1-2 min behind them. But at the start of the fourth lap, A was leading and C was chasing. B was further behind those two. When I hit my last lap, I knew that if I could maintain a sub-60 10k ish that I would stay under a 3:30 marathon. I wanted to maintain near an 8 min/mile, but my body wasn't interested in that. I took the turn around the sandwich board again, but this time doing it very slowly.

Lap 4 - 59:06 - 26.22 miles - 9:01 min/mile - 3:29:27 finish

Lap 4 was headed directly into the wind again. It wasn't too long after my turn that I saw the leader coming into the finish. It was Runner C! He had overtaken both A and B. Runner A wasn't far behind, and Runner B was lagging a bit further behind. He finished in 2:37. He ran 21:18, 20:45, 20:21, 19:18, 19:35, 18:39, 19:04, 18:29 splits. So he truly executed a negative split race well. For me, I was just trying to get to the finish line in one piece. I saw Steph one more time and exchanged a water bottle and a new Tailwind concentrate. It was all about putting one foot in front of the other and finish out the race. Just aiming for something under 3:30 and what would be my fastest marathon in 3.5 years. As I got closer to the finish line it was getting closer and closer to the 3:30 mark, but I made it just under with a 3:29:27 finish.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.03.02 AM.png

I was physically dragging by the end. The breathing effort was fine, but everything was sore by that point. The HR data shows again that I was still putting in a good effort towards the end despite the slower pace. My HR of 137-140 was usually my long run HR and throughout training that was in the 7:40-7:50 min/mile range. My peak long run was 18.88 miles at 8:00 pace with a HR of 134.

Final time - 3:29:26
Place - 36/141 (22%)
Gender - 30/84 (36%)
Division - 7/17 (41%)

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.11.38 AM.png

thumbnail_IMG_3881.jpeg

Right after I crossed the line, I looked at my watch and it was CRACKED! I was like, wait what?!?! When did I do that? I tried to scratch whatever it was off the watch, and it didn't come off. Then Steph tried too and nothing. So it was good and cracked, and I had no idea how it happened. Ugh! I walked to the car, did some stretching, and then we were off to home. I enjoyed some apple fritter in the car. I made lots and lots of jokes about a cracked Garmin screen. Because it really was bothering me. It wasn't until several hours later when I was washing my watch and the crack disappeared. So it was clearly some sort of substance that was caked on pretty good that wouldn't come off with scratching. But thankfully all is well.

I'm writing this about 48 hours after the race now. I'm still sore. A few weeks back I had planned to light cycle this week to keep some endurance heading into a short training plan for the Hot2Trot HM. But given how I was feeling during the taper, and how the race went, I'm going to go for a full 1.5 weeks off all training. Just to give my body some time to recover. When I come back to training is when I'll find out the damage. Both of my legs want to tell me there are stress fractures, but I'm just going to be patient on that.

All in all, it wasn't what I wanted. I aimed for a 3:09, then during the race a 3:16-ish felt right so I went with that. Then that HM turn derailed things a bit, but the HR data says the injury might not have been the whole story. The HRvPace was definitely falling off a cliff during the last two weeks of training. So something was off at the tail end. More things to think through and come back again with another plan of attack. Despite it all, I'm still happy with the 3:29 finish. Of my fifteen marathons, it was my 6th fastest, tied for my heaviest, and my fastest in 3.5 years. My fastest since transitioning to run+cycle with less running volume. So there are certainly reasons to be disappointed, but there are plenty of reasons to be proud of the result as well. It was also nice to be back to live racing as well. That can never be discounted.

As far as what's next, I've got the Hot2Trot HM. I plan to take that easy, or a progression run. There just isn't enough time between healing from the M and getting back into peak shape. So I'm not putting any pressure on myself to perform. After that, it's still up in the air. During and right after the marathon, I wanted to aim towards mile training in the Fall. But 48 hours later, I'm more 50/50 again about either the Madison HM/M or mile stuff. We'll see how my body feels in a few weeks when I return to training.

As for the Prediction game....

MissLiss279 - 3:09:26
jmasgat - 3:12:12
Jules76126 - 3:10:10
FFigawi - 3:12:27
flav - 3:14:16
SheHulk - 2:58:51
shellot-hill - 3:02:17
Steph and Gigi - 2:57:00 and 3:01:26
bovie - 3:10:00
disneygpa - 3:07:07
TheHamm - 3:02:03
SarahDisney - 3:02:58
Kerry1957 - 3:08:58
My Guess - 3:09:01
Herding_Cats - 3:06:11
dis_or_dat - 3:02:28

So @flav is our big winner having the slowest guess of 3:14:16. I'll email you a mystery item!

Thanks!

Those people on reddit are not me. But it does seem they share a similar conclusion to the one I made here:

Conversation start

Boston Qualifying Times: History, Who's time is more difficult, Rationale, and the future!
I am very interested to see what happens to BQ times. The fact that the times have been getting faster over time, and with all the deferred qualifications minus well the fact most people (raises hand) are not training as hard during the last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter