To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Haunted Hustle HM Recap

My intention was to treat this run as a supported training run. Best I can tell I've done 44 races previously, and despite my best efforts have never actually not raced a race. So the goal going into this race was to stay disciplined and run this at long run effort with a fast finish. This was also the race that I had received a free entry into because of my placement during the BratFest 5k. So I was hoping this was a perfect scenario for me to not race a race: it was free and the timing of it doesn't work well with the rest of the current training.

Up at 6:00am. It was nice to get 9.75 hrs of sleep in. Been a lot of early mornings lately preventing me from getting in quality sleep. Took a shower. Ate PB sandwich and banana at 6:30am. Got my stuff together and was out the door at 7:30am. Arrived at the race around 8:05am and just chilled in the KEVA center until the race start. Used the restroom and started my stretching at 8:30am. Drank my 17oz of Maurten 320 at 8:45am and headed outside. Heard the national anthem and was ready to run. I lined up between the 1:30 and 1:45 pacers, but there were only a handful of people in this space. So I didn't know what to expect.

Conditions - 🌫️ Foggy, Wind 0mph to 0mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 48°F + 46°F; FL - 48°F
End: Temp+Dew = 50°F + 47°F; FL - 48°F

The T+D ended up a tad higher than expected, but still below 100. No wind and nearly complete cloud cover during the entire run. All in all very very good running conditions.

Mile 1 - 7:40 (GAP 7:33); goal of 7:27-7:43

Really really did my best to hold back. I was convinced that if I could hold back on the first mile, then I'd have so much of a "deficit" that I wouldn't feel the urge to race it. But that first 90 seconds was at sub-7 pace. I finally reined myself in. In doing so, I had a "ton" of people pass me (at least it felt that way). But I said I'm here to do my own thing and let them go. I kept checking my pace and my GAP goal splits to make sure I was sticking to my pace zone.

Mile 2 - 7:28 (GAP 7:25); goal of 7:28-7:44

By now, pretty much anyone who wanted to pass me had. Now the rest of the race had started. Goal was to not let another person pass me, or if they did, don't let them finish ahead of me with my fast finish closing any gap made on me. It was kind of funny because as early as it was in the race, I was all alone. There was a tight group of 5-7 ahead of me and a group behind me. But no one right by me. I guess I must have been smelly or something... The effort still felt good. Nice and easy and just like long run felt.

Mile 3 - 7:25 (GAP 7:26); goal of 7:30-7:46

This was the first mile that I was starting to catch up to a few other runners. A woman in purple was memorable because it would not be the last time we would see each other. A big downhill (-8 to -10% grade) which I had to switch to fast feet to go down.

Mile 4 - 7:34 (GAP 7:36); goal of 7:35-7:51

Right at about the mile 3 marker we moved into the conservancy. So we went from roads to crushed gravel. Hit the first aid station of the race and grabbed a cup of water. Ran past the trash can so I ended up having to run with the cup until the next aid station (wasn't about to litter in the conservancy). I was closing the gap on several runners and think I passed a few runners during this mile.

Mile 5 - 7:32 (GAP 7:28); goal of 7:28-7:44

Still feeling like long run effort, but I was starting to pick off more runners. Think I passed maybe 5-6 runners during this mile. The crushed gravel was wet and squishy in some spots. So every few moments it felt like it took just a little extra effort to run through.

Mile 6 - 7:39 (GAP 7:18); goal of 7:35-7:51

As we reached the end of mile 5, I knew the hills were about to start. Nothing crazy, but given the first half of the race was mostly flat. So I was being conservative as I knew the pace was suppose to slow. So far every mile had been just about within the pace goals, so now it was going to take extra focus to slow enough. After passing so many people, I could start to feel a runner or two closing in on me. Not today, I said!

Mile 7 - 7:40 (GAP 7:32); goal of 7:45-8:01

Well just after I passed the mile 6 marker, that's when two runners passed me (purple lady is back!). The hills were becoming a bit more numerous so I was just trying to stick to the plan and not chase after them. The effort was still consistent. But I made note of these two runners, because if I was going to keep my "no passing" goal I would have to catch them eventually. I had a third runner in yellow pass me late in this mile as well.

Mile 8 - 7:37 (GAP 7:15); goal of 7:35-7:51

Just after we passed the 7th mile marker is when I made my move on purple lady and was hoping to put her in the rearview. Boy howdy though! Mid-way through this mile was a monster steep hill. Been a while since I've dealt with something like this thing. At one point it was 17% (?!?!?!) grade. I felt like I was practically walking up it because it was so so steep. I could tell some of the runners just ahead of me were taking this a bit more aggressively than me. But I wasn't trying to maintain pace up this monster. My pace actually dropped down to a 9:45 min/mile and GAP was a 5:58 min/mile in that moment. Yeeessh! Then we started to make our way down this hill.

Mile 9 - 7:26 (GAP 7:23); goal of 7:53-8:09

Made my way through the 9th mile and knew that the pick-up in pace was about to start. I was slowly closing the gap on a few runners. I could still see the red runner who had passed me in mile 6 and the yellow runners was a tad further ahead of him. It was looking like the gap might be too much to catch yellow, but it would be interesting to see. So, this was the first mile that I really blew the pace goal out of the water. I could tell I had a little extra effort but nothing crazy. Well turns out my GAP wasn't as crazy as it was for the other runner I used to generate my goals. This was suppose to be a +26 mile, but for me ended up being a +3 mile. So my effort trumped the GAP goal and it looks like it was the right choice.

Mile 10 - 7:31 (GAP 7:34); goal of 7:29-7:45

Still feeling good. Legs were starting to protest just a little bit like they would on a normal long run day. But they did eventually settle down.

Mile 11 - 7:25 (GAP 7:19); goal of 7:28-7:44

Last mile before the pick-up was to start. I chased down a few other runners and then took inventory of red runner and yellow runner. Red was close, but yellow had created quite the gap. I'd guess maybe 75-90 seconds based on the small out/back loop we did in that mile. So it would be a tough ask to catch him, but I was ready. Honestly,

Mile 12 - 6:43 (GAP 6:44); goal of 6:49-7:03

As soon as the mile started, right after the uphill I was ready to rock! I turned up the effort to what I thought felt like HM Tempo and started to roll. I immediately started picking people off right and left. I think within a few minutes I had already clicked off 4-5 runners. The effort felt good. I could really really feel it. But I was locked in now. Not too far into the mile I passed red shirt. Now I needed to do was catch yellow shirt. I rounded the corner and to my surprise there he was. Turns out yellow shirt is a good samaritan who was helping out a female runner who was doubled down puking. Just about the time I was coming up on them he and her started to run again. So good for him and stopping and making sure she was ok. But I lost my chase runner for the finale of the race. I passed two other runners that I had been watching in the distance and then it was just empty path ahead.

Mile 13 - 6:46 (GAP 6:45); goal of 6:49-7:03

Just as I passed the mile 12 marker I could see some runners ahead, but they all looked like 10k runners. I couldn't pick out any fast moving objects to chase. So I just kept the pedal to the metal and was flying past all the 10k runners. I was happy to keep looking down and see that between these two miles of the fast finish I was really able to lock into the HM Tempo.

Final Time: 1:36:12
Final Overall: 20th/303 (6.6%)
Final Gender: 15th/128 (11.7%)
Final Age Group: 5th/21 (24%)

Overall, I can't complain about the performance. That goes down as officially my 3rd fastest HM and it was completed as a long run with a fast finish. Although based on my HR, the effort was probably in the grey area between long run and M Tempo pace. The HM Tempo fast finish though was pretty much spot on though. So we'll see if I can pull off a 6:44 pace in a few weeks.

2019 DopeyBadger Racing Season Prediction Contest - Race #4 (Haunted Hustle HM)

My Guess!

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 6.29.57 PM.png

With the faster than expected result it really wreaked havoc on the prediction game. A few players got on the right side of the game. Kudos to @disneygpa for erasing a sizeable deficit. Looks like passing paid off in the short term for those who didn't play. We'll know at the end of the game whether that plays out for them.

Great result for you, but of no help to me 🤣

Thanks! Yea... me either. Definitely went the wrong way on that one.

Congratulations! Good time. Looks like G knew what she was doing with her guess... :)

Thanks! Yea, too bad she was trying to erase her deficit.

Congrats!
But also ... well crap I'm gonna be super off again.

Thanks! Two more chances to erase those deficits!

Congrats on that finish! It appears I compensated too much :). I had been guessing too fast and guessed too slow on this one.

Thanks! Yea, seems to be a common problem in this round.

Great job! Sounds like you had an awesome race! Now if you had only run like three minutes slower so I could have erased more of my score! :P

12 Weeks to Go! (12 Angry Men) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 16/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 1/Week 2

*I believe this was the only play that I took part in in school.

10/14/19 - M - OFF
10/15/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Spencer (60 min; 78 TSS)
10/16/19 - W - 7 x 1 min @ Max (Run)
10/17/19 - R - Mount Wood (60 min; 64 TSS) + 20 min at LT to HM Tempo
10/18/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS)
10/19/19 - Sa - Gibralter (90 min; 111 TSS) + 45 min Brick Run at Easy
10/20/19 - Su - Haunted Hustle HM

Total Run Miles - 29.1 miles
Total Run Time - 3:51 hours
Total Run TSS - 267 TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 292 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 1:51 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 20 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:29 hours
Total TSS - 579 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 3 sets of 10 cycle through whole workout then back to top.

1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/Loop
2 - Push-up, Skull Crusher, Weighted ab sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tuck, Fire Hydrant

Cycling: Spencer is 5x3-minute VO2max repeats at 120% FTP with 3-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 92. Happy to nail this one. I really like doing VO2max intervals on the bike the best. Especially challenging but just barely achievable.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 46°F + 35°F; FL - 43°F
End: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 34°F; FL - 43°F

7 x 1 min @ Max

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 7.15.55 PM.png

Ended up averaging a 5:16 using GAP. Felt smooth throughout. No hamstring issues. Even went sub-5 on one of them. Last Max workout. Now the last 12 weeks are a Daniels I type workout (VO2max intervals at 3-4 min in length).

Thursday

Hooray for only a 60 min morning bike ride. Only had to get up at 4:15am to get it done.

Cycling: Mount Wood is 3x8-minute over-under intervals alternating between 3 minutes at 95% FTP and 1 minute at 105% FTP with 6-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 92. Another over/under but much easier than the last one. Still a challenge no doubt, but easier.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 4mph to 4mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 49°F + 36°F; FL - 48°F
End: Temp+Dew = 48°F + 36°F; FL - 48°F

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 7.17.34 PM.png

I really tried to lock in and run hard. I did the three miles in 6:40, 6:44, and 6:36. The GAP average was 6:38. It was fun to run fast. 3rd hard workout in 24hrs. Happy with the performance.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core. It was a 3 x 10 rep count through each series then back to top.

Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Back: Bent over Row, One Hand Renegade Row with RL, Boat Pose Lat Pull with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL
Triceps: Tricep Kickbacks, Single-Arm Extension Loop, Tricep push up

Cycling: Pettit is an hour of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 93. Nice and easy. Had to be super quick about this one because we were having dinner with Steph's friends in Milwaukee. Didn't get home until 11:30pm.

Saturday

Early morning because we were heading to the expo at opening (10am). I barely got 6 hours of sleep.

Cycling: Gibraltar is 105 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 90 minutes between 80-85% FTP. RPM of 87. It was ok, but this was a bit of a drag. Just didn't feel very smooth. That's two weeks in a row that the Half Ironman bike leg pacing was tough.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 7mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 50°F + 41°F; FL - 47°F
End: Temp+Dew = 51°F + 42°F; FL - 47°F

Tried to keep it really easy. All in all it was 5.5 miles in 45 min (8:07 min/mile) at HR of 136.

Sunday

Haunted Hustle HM

80DO-Cardio Flow to close out the week!

Another big week on tap. 16 total hours. My first Daniels I workout with a goal of sub-6 (4 x 3 min), then a 45 min HM Tempo Brick on Thursday, then 4:45 hr bike + 45 min evening run on Saturday, and finish off with 2:40 hr run on Sunday. Buckle up, it's another big one! Plus, we have Gigi's last flag football game (Mon or Wed), her first field trip to a farm (I'm chaperoning), and then parent/teacher on Thursday.

Congrats on your race! Looks like you were pretty successful in making it a training run!

Thanks! I'd say for the most part it stayed as desired. It wasn't quite long run pace (7:40s), but it also wasn't M Tempo (7:00s). Nicely between in the "physiological dead zone of training".

If you pace someone else it should be required that you wear a ghost shirt and they wear a Pacman shirt. Thinking about it, that would be a fun theme for a race. Or for people to do just during a normal race for laughs. I'd love seeing a bunch of ghosts being chased by a pacman.

Just starting to follow! Wow what a journey you have been on! Half of your abbreviations I don't even understand when you explain your workouts, ha ha! I loved reading all your goals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!