To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Well the good news is that I have been pain free in the leg for two consecutive days (Saturday and Sunday). I'm feeling confident that I can restart training on Sunday (10/16). However, I'll still be taking a cautious approach and if something doesn't "feel right" then I'll shut it down for longer. My sister (a PA and helps conduct bone surgery) said not to get over confident with the lack of pain right now because I haven't been doing anything to elicit a negative response (thanks sis....). However, she called my cloudiness from the x-ray "scary" and something I should definitely get checked out (again, thanks sis....). She's a real uplifter that one (actually she's just giving me her honest opinion and I appreciate that). Hoping to write a new training plan for Dopey 2017 (been working on it for a week) with the idea that if I have to scrap it at any point I'm fine with that. I'll post it here sometime this week. Thanks to all for the best wishes!

Well the good news is that I have been pain free in the leg for two consecutive days (Saturday and Sunday). I'm feeling confident that I can restart training on Sunday (10/16). However, I'll still be taking a cautious approach and if something doesn't "feel right" then I'll shut it down for longer. My sister (a PA and helps conduct bone surgery) said not to get over confident with the lack of pain right now because I haven't been doing anything to elicit a negative response (thanks sis....). However, she called my cloudiness from the x-ray "scary" and something I should definitely get checked out (again, thanks sis....). She's a real uplifter that one (actually she's just giving me her honest opinion and I appreciate that). Hoping to write a new training plan for Dopey 2017 (been working on it for a week) with the idea that if I have to scrap it at any point I'm fine with that. I'll post it here sometime this week. Thanks to all for the best wishes!

I am praying for you that the only scary things for you this month are Halloween related and not leg related. Keep resting this week and we all will be thinking happy thoughts for you.

I am praying for you that the only scary things for you this month are Halloween related and not leg related. Keep resting this week and we all will be thinking happy thoughts for you.

Thanks! We haven't decided what G will be for Halloween yet. Obviously a Disney princess (because that's what she wants), but which one?!?! We have Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Elsa, Anna, Rapunzel... Just so many choices. And yes when we play Disney "Just Dance" for the Wii we do costume changes in between songs. It's hilarious!

Thanks! We haven't decided what G will be for Halloween yet. Obviously a Disney princess (because that's what she wants), but which one?!?! We have Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Elsa, Anna, Rapunzel... Just so many choices. And yes when we play Disney "Just Dance" for the Wii we do costume changes in between songs. It's hilarious!

We put out Wii away before kiddo was born and I kind of forgot it existed. Maybe I will get it out of our storage and see if she likes it (I bet she will.) At first kiddo wanted to be Belle, but then she changed her mind and we are now being superheros. I've been told to be Capt America, so a shield and outfit have been purchased. I'm gonna look either awesome or insane. I guess that counts as Disney right?
She will be a superhero Bee. She's adamant about it.

If you ever need a funny disney outfit idea, for her second birthday she was Cinderella in rags and I was Jaque and hubby was gus gus.

Glad the pain is better. Hoping for more good news for you.

Glad you're pain free. I hope your MRI is scheduled soon and results are negative.

Thanks!

We put out Wii away before kiddo was born and I kind of forgot it existed. Maybe I will get it out of our storage and see if she likes it (I bet she will.) At first kiddo wanted to be Belle, but then she changed her mind and we are now being superheros. I've been told to be Capt America, so a shield and outfit have been purchased. I'm gonna look either awesome or insane. I guess that counts as Disney right?
She will be a superhero Bee. She's adamant about it.

If you ever need a funny disney outfit idea, for her second birthday she was Cinderella in rags and I was Jaque and hubby was gus gus.

LOL, those are some good ideas. I forgot about myself. Hmm?? I'll have to start thinking about this a bit more.

Whoops looks like I forgot Sofia and Aurora too... So many Disney princess dresses!

We haven't decided what G will be for Halloween yet. Obviously a Disney princess (because that's what she wants), but which one?!?! We have Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Elsa, Anna, Rapunzel... Just so many choices

At first kiddo wanted to be Belle, but then she changed her mind and we are now being superheros.

The good thing about having a four month old is we get to dictate costumes, not him. So, he gets to be Fix-It Felix this year, while mom and dad are Vanellope von Schweetz and Wreck-It Ralph respectively.

The good thing about having a four month old is we get to dictate costumes, not him. So, he gets to be Fix-It Felix this year, while mom and dad are Vanellope von Schweetz and Wreck-It Ralph respectively.

So true. That sounds like a great costume family and I think we're going to have to see a pic once it rolls around! Such a good movie!

So true. That sounds like a great costume family and I think we're going to have to see a pic once it rolls around! Such a good movie!

It is a good movie, one I feel is underrated in the grand scheme of things. I will try to get a picture to post. It's all a matter of whether or not he cooperates long enough to get one holding his "golden" hammer.

It is a good movie, one I feel is underrated in the grand scheme of things. I will try to get a picture to post. It's all a matter of whether or not he cooperates long enough to get one holding his "golden" hammer.

Well, if you need a shiny medal for Ralph to want to earn I have a feeling you probably have a few laying around!

2017 Dopey Challenge Training Plan

Well I've got two things hanging over whether or not this training plan will even be used as written, but I'm going to go ahead and proceed as normal until I hear/feel differently.

In my view, a training plan for a race serves two main purposes:

1) To make you a better runner.
2) To make you a better runner on race day.

So when evaluating what I'm going to do next, it's best to look at what I just did to see for clues about whether my previous training cycle met these purposes.

1) To make you a better runner.

I entered the Lakefront Marathon training cycle coming off my Wisconsin Marathon training cycle. I set my paces based on the belief that mile 1-19 was the most representative section of the race to my current fitness level and that miles 19-26 were off because of the massive headwind. Because there was no fitness test race, there was no better indicator of current fitness. So did this training cycle make me a better runner? Yes.

On 7/28/16 and 7/31/16 I ran blinded Tempo and Long runs that suggested my current fitness was that of 3:10 rather than 3:18 which was an improvement from when I started. I could also tell that my EA and EB pace were dropping based on an equivalent matching effort. It was clear to me based on these things that I was becoming a better runner based on the Lakefront Marathon training cycle.

2) To make you a better runner on race day.

The second purpose of the training plan was to make me a better runner on race day. So did this training cycle make me a better runner on race day? Yes and No.

Yes, because I did set a new PR (3:23 vs 3:28) in the actual race.

But no, because I failed to hit 3:17 or less which was what I estimated my fitness at in May. But it wasn't just not hitting a time of 3:17 or less, it was the fact that matching marathon effort paces were significantly faster in May than October. The first 19 miles in May were much faster than in October. Now there are some confounding factors to October as well. Did an unknown injury hold me back in October? Was the unknown injury running related or possibly something else yet undetermined? It's tough to say definitively, but I would venture to guess that I was better prepared on the actual race day to hit a 3:17 in May then I was in October, even though my fitness was better in July. So why did that happen and did I have any hints during training things weren't going right?

Other than the May and October cycles (thus the first Hansons and Dopey cycle) I have been pretty good at nailing prescribed paces almost 100% within window. But these two cycles not so much. Partially it's because I'm pushing my physical capabilities for marathon pace and thus it's just getting harder. But marathon effort should remain the same and thus something was wrong during the Lakefront cycle. Here are my tempo pace within window for Lakefront

17- 3/6 (50%)
16 - 6/6 (100%)
14 - 6/7 (86%)
13 - 6/7 (86%)
12 - 0/8 (0%)
11 - 8/8 (100%)
10 - 3/8 (38%)
9 - 5/9 (56%)
8 - 7/9 (78%)
7 - 6/9 (67%)
6 - 3/10 (30%)
5 - 6/10 (60%)
4 - 7/10 (70%)
3 - 8/11 (73%)
2 - 5/9 (56%)
1 - 8/11 (73%)

So not bad, but especially there in the middle it was slipping a bit. Partially due to weather, but partially because things just were't right.

Another thing I noticed was my max long run of 18 miles was slipping in easiness from the first time to the last. It went from a 8:09, to 8:14, to 8:20. Not a ton of drop-off, but the difference in what it felt like was noticeable.

Lastly, and likely most important was the occurrence of the Jelly Legs. Like I said when it was occurring this wasn't a new occurrence for me. I've felt Jelly Legs during training and during racing before. But maybe once or twice and not within a few weeks of each other. Whereas, during this training cycle I felt it for a whole two consecutive weeks. Off and on and with all types of runs. This was concerning and likely due to over fatiguing a set of muscles to the point they couldn't give me anything. I even felt a little bit of this very early in the Lakefront marathon (way earlier then I should be).

So, did this training plan make me a better runner on race day? No, probably not. It was likely too tough. The easy days just weren't easy enough. I made significant gains during the training cycle. And potentially if the race was in late August or early September I probably would have crushed it. But then I continued training for another 7-8 weeks and it apparently really wore me out. Again I completed the training and had some issues during it but going into the race I was expecting more. It leads me to two of my favorites phrases for training: "Don't survive the training, thrive because of it" and "Save it for race day". I pushed too hard and neither thrived because of it or saved it for race day. Thus, this mindset will guide my decisions in making training decisions for Dopey 2017. So what does that look like?

Training Paces

Like I always say, choosing the training paces may be the single most important aspect of the training plan. The right training paces mean you're gaining the correct benefits from those paces as you desire based on your training. Train too fast or too slow on a for a certain workout and you won't elicit the benefits you're hoping for. Unfortunately, I've put myself in another pickle with choosing the right training paces. I typically choose the paces based on these criteria:

1) What I felt comfortable at during training
2) My last race results
3) Some other mixture of comfortable and race results

1) Well my training said I'm capable of a 3:10 marathon, so that would be a 7:15 min/mile for TEMPO.
2) My last race results was a 3:23 marathon, so that would be a 7:44 min/mile for TEMPO.
3) I felt as if I underperformed in my marathon based on what I felt I could do going in. But I feel as if the 7:15 min/mile may very well be too rich for me at this point. After all that's slightly faster than my current 10k actual race pace. So, then what to do? I'm choosing to stay where I was for Lakefront (a 7:33 min/mile). I'd like to see me hit the marathon pace more consistently throughout the training cycle and throughout each individual run.

So, thus my paces will be based off a 7:33 min/mile marathon pace and will be punched into my Hansons calculator to spit out the spectrum of training paces.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 12.43.50 PM.png

Training Plan
Once I have my paces, then it's a matter of figuring out what to do on each day from now until Dopey. The goals of developing the training plan remain the same as before.

1) 80% Easy and 20% Hard. Hard is defined as anything at Marathon Pace or faster.
2) Periodization. Spend about 7-8 weeks in any phase before moving on to the next. This is the point where you've maximized gains in that phase and continuing to do the same workouts wont be as helpful.
3) Keep the longest run's mileage to 30% or less of the week's total mileage

All of these are done in an effort to keep the training plan balanced. Balance the mileage throughout the week. Balance the amount of easy work and hard work. Balance when you're working on a specific muscle system.

I've broken the plan into two phases:

A) Recovery
B) Dopey Focused

Each phase serves a different purpose all in an effort to get me in the best shape possible for the Dopey. There are only 12 weeks between the start of the plan and race weekend. So, there isn't enough time for several different phases. However, because I'm not completely sold on my current fitness level I am hedging my bets a bit and splitting the middle. In addition, I plan to race Dopey to the full extent if I am physically capable of doing so.

Recovery

To allow myself to make a near full recovery from the Lakefront Marathon I have taken/will take 2 weeks off. This is both a mental recovery and physical recovery. Although this time the 2 week physical recovery likely would have been necessary no matter if I wanted to take it or not given the injury I sustained during the race (regardless of whatever the injury was/is). The total recovery phase will last 4 weeks (2 off and 2 easy).

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 12.49.20 PM.png

The dates show the weeks. The number above hard is the weeks remaining until Dopey. The number in yellow is the total weekly mileage. The percentage in red is that percent of mileage from the week's longest run. Lastly, the easy and hard split shows the percentage breakdown. The description is the scheduled workout. During the last training cycle I was running around 65 miles per week for 14 straight weeks, so ramping up from 3 to 33 to 49 should not put me at any additional injury risk (as long as there is no pain from the Lakefront injury).

Dopey Focused

The last time I ran Dopey using a similar training plan I incorporated speed work at the beginning, then a touch of sub-marathon work. I've decided to switch it up and incorporate sub-HM work instead as a means to hedge my bets, and no speed work. This sub-HM pace would be at a 7:05 min/mile. Conveniently, if my marathon pace were a 7:15 min/mile then this would be my marathon strength workouts. So it's a way for me to attempt to satisfy both my possible marathon pace (7:15) and other possible marathon pace (7:33). To compensate for this, and to alleviate concerns of going past the lactate threshold for these workouts, I'm reducing the duration of the easy days from 90 minutes down to as low as 55 minutes. All the while still maintaining a 80% easy 20% hard split.

The other small change is a dramatic reduction in overall duration and mileage every 4 weeks (week of 11/7 and 12/5). I'm hoping this will help my musculoskeletal system recover and repair better than the last training cycle. During this down week I'll instead work on a brief TEMPO at half-marathon pace (again on the off chance my pace of 7:15 is my marathon and not HM pace).

Another change I made was increasing my WU/CD for Strength and Tempo workouts from 1.5 miles to 2 miles. In turn, I'm dropping my max TEMPO distance from 11 miles at pace down to 10 miles at pace. The overall mileage is the same (14) but the intensity of the workout has been made easier.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 1.15.15 PM.png

I only hit the max duration workout once on 12/18/16. I'm comfortable with this since I feel I made tremendous Running Economy gains the last training cycle and just need to hone my marathon pacing and lactate threshold workouts for this truncated training cycle. In addition, if I peak after 12 weeks of workouts like I did for Lakefront, then Dopey will fall right in line with that.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 1.16.18 PM.png

Yea, the Taper! The taper is about 10 days from marathon day and has a drop in mileage to about 42% of peak. The number of days running remains the same, but the intensity drops within that 10 day window because no more physical gains will be made in time for the event. Now the goal is to recover and maintain the fitness gained. And then, it'll be victory lap time again.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 1.23.42 PM.png

The per week average (after recovery) is 6 miles less than Lakefront and about an hour less in duration. So overall this plan is less intensive then the Lakefront plan from a total time/mile spent training. The addition of the HM Tempo and HM Strength make it a tad harder on the hard days, but I feel as if that's justified.

Goals

So the big question is, based on this training plan and how I feel today what are my current estimates for my Dopey time (again assuming no pain and assuming I don't have to take time off for that other reason)?

The answer is again it's tough to say. I don't know what my current physical fitness level is. Am I a 7:33 marathoner or a 7:15 marathoner or a 7:44 marathoner? Thus, I made four predictions to give myself a range at this point based on 2015 and 2016 Dopey results and based on a 7:15 marathon and 7:33 marathon fitness level.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 2.08.51 PM.png

So essentially I took my PRs to prior to the 2015/2016 Dopey and figured out how my then PRs related to the times I ran at Dopey a few months later. So in 2016, my PR was 8% different for my marathon, but in 2015 it was 3% different. So, it just gives me an idea of what to expect to run each event in relative to what I'm capable of. Essentially no difference on the 5K/10K and a 3-8% difference on the HM/M. So my final Dopey time would be estimated anywhere between 5:50-6:26. Although I've never run a single mile faster than 6:42 so that would be interesting to run a 5K/10K distance faster than that.

Nutrition

No change from the Lakefront Marathon plan.

Alright, that's all I got. I'm hopeful I get the opportunity to follow through with this plan. But if life dictates differently, then I've got other options that I'm completely comfortable with.

@DopeyBadger: I just want to say that I am very, very glad to read your revised plan. I mentioned it once to you during your Lakefront training, but I was worried throughout that you were over-training on your last cycle, and I think the tempo runs were the first indication of possible over-training. I do understand the weather issue, but I would still expect more of the tempo runs to be closer to goal pace. BTW, your tempo run results are actually how I came up with my guess time for your marathon... which wasn't too far off.

In any case, you still made progress by lowering your PR, so that's always a great reason to celebrate!!

I think your new plan looks rock solid, and you are now well on your way back to steady, smart BQ progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter