To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickynick

Earning My Ears
Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
Are there any reports of people quarantine in there rooms (onsite properties) ?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
Looking for some friendly but honest advice. Thank you.

I have friends who came back Tuesday from WDW. They did WDW only.

The DH tested positive yesterday at work during his required testing (they test every two days). He is vaccinated. He thought he had the post going from humid to dry climate sinus thing many of us get.

My friend, his DW, also vaccinated, is having worse than usual allergy symptoms, which because of our air quality due to fires many of us are having. She is getting today.

Both kids are under 12 and wore masks everywhere, both inside and outside. Neither have any symptoms.

Wear masks, hand sanitize frequently and take some airborne or zinc tabs (can’t hurt), as no uou may want to avoid fireworks or other huge crowds. FWIW, latest studies show 99.995 percent of kids infected have full recovery.

I have friends who came back Tuesday from WDW. They did WDW only.

The DH tested positive yesterday at work during his required testing (they test every two days). He is vaccinated. He thought he had the post going from humid to dry climate sinus thing many of us get.

My friend, his DW, also vaccinated, is having worse than usual allergy symptoms, which because of our air quality due to fires many of us are having. She is getting today.

Both kids are under 12 and wore masks everywhere, both inside and outside. Neither have any symptoms.
Thank you for the info

It would be foolish to believe that there have been no covid cases associated with WDW. We’re in the same situation as you. We have a 3 generation trip, 5 adults all vaccinated, 3 kids under 12. We were supposed to go last year. We don’t go until October 31 for 6 nights. I almost changed it again a couple months ago but decided not to. I’ll admit I’m concerned about this delta variant and the kids. I left the decision up to our son and daughter-in-law and they said they’re good with going so we’re doing it. I’m hoping for lower crowds the first week of November but not sure what to really expect with the 50th celebration having started. I just read today that all Disney employees will be required to be vaccinated in the next 60 days. That’s a good start along with the mandatory masks indoors again. I think along with Disney’s precautions and our own that we will be ok. This isn’t the trip I had hoped for but we’re not getting any younger so we’re going to make the most of it.
Thank you for the info and insight from all that responded so far. . That why I’m trying to get some perspective on cases associated with WDW and Universal. It could be as great thing that there has not been any or much reported, or a reluctance to report that info. Have a few more days to decide what we are going to do. Like most people we having been looking forward to the trip for years, after cancelations, postponements and in general being a personally difficult 18 months. But at the end of the day want to make the most informed decision, and the Disboard has a great group of members who have first hand experience and/or know some insight more then I.

I would love to see the kind of data you are after but I’m not sure it is even tracked anymore. There have been reported cases by Dis’ers and others that returned from Disney. It can be difficult to say with absolute certainty where a case came from but also I imagine Disney/Universal would not release this info. We sat near a family at a restaurant and heard them discussing an immediate family member who had to stay home because they had just tested positive for Covid prior to the trip. If one of the family members who were there at Disney then later or during the trip tested positive would it be attributed to Disney or their prior exposure?

Last edited:
I believe they reinstated masks starting July 30. This would be one reason for me still to go. This trip will just be my daughter and I since US still has border closures and my mom from Germany cannot come. That’s a whole different topic to moan about. We are both vaccinated. I personally would not go if one of us was not. And I actually enjoyed disney transportation but definitely will be driving to the parks ourselves. This reduces contact with others in buses etc. Since most of Disney is outdoors it makes me feel comfortable. I will strategically plan indoor rides fir those wit long lines indoors, like Soarin first thing in the morning at rope drop. I am not at all worried about surface transmission since they pretty much confirmed Covid is trans mainly through aerosol. this is why I booked pop century because I want a room that has direct outdoor, fresh air access. So it will be summer and the AC will be going but I will still air out the room before we move-in. Oh if we do say it beach club we will do the balcony airing out. Ever since Covid I’m hesitant to book your typical hotels that don’t have windows that open and only have hallway entrances, like your typical Hilton. For me that’s just too much air stagnating about.
I definitely get your hesitancy though since your kids are too young to be vaxxed.

I think a lot also depends on your circumstances on how travels to WDW. We are flying in from Germany and can because we are US citizens. There’s additional risk because if God forbid one of us were to become positive and actually have symptoms we have a big issue to deal with. If you’re driving and someone gets sick you can just hop back in the car and head home.

Our trip is planned for the end of August.

edit, one additional point. A friend of mine was going on vacation with her unvaccinated kid and was also concerned because her child actually has health issues. She went and got an antibody test turns out her kid already had antibodies. So I know people are doing that just to check and see if they’ve already been at exposed. I mean I think everyone can agree on the fact that the reported case count is highly underestimated globally

Last edited:
Florida no longer publishes statistics on positive Covid cases amongst non-Floridian residents, so you won’t see numbers from Florida on tourists who tested positive. If you scan Reddit coronavirus streams you will hear some anecdotal evidence of people getting Covid on their Disney trips (not necessarily at Disney) including a rant from the lead singer of Twisted Sister.

On these boards on the Here and Just back thread you have lots of reviews, including one or two that said they were fully vaccinated and got Covid, but many, many more that either didn’t get it or didn’t mention it. So it is a risk, but not necessarily a big one.

I know it’s harder to get precise information now than it was a few months ago.

Thank you for the info and insight from all that responded so far. . That why I’m trying to get some perspective on cases associated with WDW and Universal. It could be as great thing that there has not been any or much reported, or a reluctance to report that info. Have a few more days to decide what we are going to do. Like most people we having been looking forward to the trip for years, after cancelations, postponements and in general being a personally difficult 18 months. But at the end of the day want to make the most informed decision, and the Disboard has a great group of members who have first hand experience and/or know some insight more then I.
Wishing you the best with whatever decision you make.

I just wanted to add another point. We have been the Disney so many times and due to Covid we were not able to go last year so we missed out on one year. I’m looking forward going “home“ just being there and walking about, doing a bit of shopping and riding our favorite rides is enough to make us happy. Mask or no mask. If this was the first trip I have planned for my kids, that “Once of a lifetime” mega expensive trip, I personally would reschedule when things are 1000% back to normal, not just with Covid but with what Disney offers etc.

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
I things could potentially change a LOT between now and your trip. Make sure you are very clear on all of the cancellation policies for each piece of your trip. That will help you understand when you absolutely have to decide by.

FWIW masks are not required at Universal.

Only you know all of the factors for this decision. Can you move your dates to a point where you still have something to look forward too? How comfortable is the group with being shoulder to shoulder with lots of other sweaty people? Will your concerns effect the value of your vacation?
Good luck with your decision and please take some time to read other threads with people asking the same questions. All are different, but all are helpful.

First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios?
What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?

None of this information is available nor do I anticipate it will ever be available to the public.

Just like any other place you will be exposed, you will risk coming home sick (I did, and only went to parks, stayed at private entrance villa). The other 5 in our group were fine.

Only you can make that decision based on your comfort level. I was there July 4 and felt comfortable. Based on photos from this week, I would not have felt comfortable. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
If you’re asking, don’t come.

When I booked our trip there were park capacity limits and masking. Even with the changes, I came anyway and decided to shift some strategies and bail out of the parks if needed. I’m here now. We brought N95s with us for inside, and use surgical masks outside.
There is no distancing and I’ve avoided rope drop (packed wall to wall people at that time) and shifted to late afternoon/evening touring. Skipping fireworks in the park and will just watch them from the resort. I use my UV umbrella in the extended queues to keep people behind me from creeeeeeping up. Why do sweaty people need to be all on other sweaty people? We are able to control the space we put in front of us. I feel better with the new mask rules, however, compliance is not 100% and as a rule follower that butters my biscuit. It’s a great opportunity for me to work on my “mind your own business, Karen” flaw, and make peace with the choices of others.
When we booked I told my teenager if she were unable to be vaccinated before the trip we would have to cancel. Disney will always be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter