To get a TA or not

Thanks everyone for the great info,

Do you have some questions? Do you often change your mind about switching cabins, changing sail dates, adding and dropping guests, need help getting early seating, etc.? A Disney specialtist will assist you with all these things. Its a competitive market, and I'm sure you'll find someone you can click with. It took me 2 ok agents, until I found "my" agent. I am loyal to her now

This made me thing if Disney can answer all your questions why would you need a TA?

Has anyone had an issue where they told thier TA something like an allergy or a specifc request and then found out the TA didn't note it on the reservation???

Thanks everyone for the great info,

This made me thing if Disney can answer all your questions why would you need a TA?

Has anyone had an issue where they told thier TA something like an allergy or a specifc request and then found out the TA didn't note it on the reservation???

You would be surprised how many DCL phone reservationists have never taken a Disney cruise.

I'm using one of the travel agencies mentioned in this thread and it has been 100% *not* worth it to me at all. The OBC will be nice, but the agent is slow in responding to my questions and sometimes I have to ask them twice. She also has given me incorrect answers. I'm completely unimpressed by the service from this large scale agency and won't be using them again. I would much rather either have complete control over my own reservation or book through Costco and have a nice big Costco cash card.

I wonder if it's the same travel company I am using that I've had tha same issues with? I won't use them again, so am looking for other reliable agents that people have had good luck with for cruises. I don't have a Costco so tht is not an option.

We used a TA from the other one mentioned above that does not sponsor this thread... The one from the most annoyingly musical themed ride in the Magic Kingdom!

I am a total control freak, and liked it, simply for the decent OBC. I booked flights and rental cars on my own.

It wasn't a ton, but it paid for some! She also helped us out when we needed info right before the trip about medical services, as my dad had issues right before travel. Her advice was spot on.

Shop around for a good one that replies promptly.
that's the one I am not super happy with...

Why would you bother asking a TA questions? I bet the knowledge of many posters here far exceed what you are likely to find at almost all of the travel agencies.

Its like buying a TV at Costco. Sure you can't count of getting any advice at Costco but that is far better than going to Best Buy and getting bad advice from someone trying to sell you something you don't need.

Not all agencies will take the transfer after a certain amount of times. I think www.cruisequick.com which almost always gives the highest OBC will only take it for maybe 60 days after initial deposit.

But they have always been GREAT for me. Its all by email and they will answer your question within minutes generally, even if you send it at some bizarre time when most folks out to be asleep. (though I think it does say if it comes in at night it will be morning before they respond)

Or I just checked Best Price Cruises for some Fantasy cruises in September in a cat T, and they offered between 700-800$ obc. BPC does charge you 100$ to change your sail date

$700-$100 = $600. Still seems likea good deal to me. What am I missing?

$700-$100 = $600. Still seems likea good deal to me. What am I missing?

Nothing. I was just pointing out that this TA charges a change fee, but not all agencies do. Also, that OBC was for a suite. If you booked an inside, the change fee could wipe out your OBC.

I really appreciated all the advice I got on this thread. I contacted everyone I could find and narrowed it to 3 based on obc and mostly answers to my questions I asked.. For our Dec cruise with the 3 of us the top 2 TAs had the best answers to my questions:
1) obc $150 never really has checked back with me
2) obc $100 followed up said she might be able to give me $150 but then said no
3) obc $100 plus DU gift basket

I am pretty much on auto pilot now with this reservation except that I have a GTY rm and am hoping for a good assignment.

Any thoughts

When we first started, we used an awesome TA because of the handholding she provided. However, now we know our way around DCL and always book directly with them. It is nice to be able to call them directly with questions and make changes...we have complete and instant control over our reservation.

If you need encouragement and advice, though, find a good TA. The only firm recommendation I can make is someone who will answer the phone and actually talk to you. We've dealt with one that did email only, in fact refused to talk to us when we had a number of questions that would have taken perhaps 5 minutes but needed a give and take. To each his own, and MANY people are delighted with some agencies that are email only, but to us talking to a human being is priceless (and timely since there is zero delay in getting answers).

I really appreciated all the advice I got on this thread.

I am pretty much on auto pilot now with this reservation except that I have a GTY rm and am hoping for a good assignment.

Any thoughts

I don't have much exp. We're going on our first cruise in a couple of months. However, I booked with DCL. Then I began to wonder if I shouldn't get a TA after reading tons of stuff on disboards and cruisecritic. I began to wonder about medical stuff and if a TA would be more helpful with handholding, etc.

So I went with a local agency where I can walk in the door and they'll talk to me in addition to e-mail & phone.

I'm getting a good deal on a snooze & cruise room beforehand. So that's helpful for us.

The second our transfer went through we went from a GTY to a room number. I think that killed any changes of a random free upgrade.

I'm undecided if I'll use the TA next time.

Just thought I'd share.

Sebby said:
I don't have much exp. We're going on our first cruise in a couple of months. However, I booked with DCL. Then I began to wonder if I shouldn't get a TA after reading tons of stuff on disboards and cruisecritic. I began to wonder about medical stuff and if a TA would be more helpful with handholding, etc.

So I went with a local agency where I can walk in the door and they'll talk to me in addition to e-mail & phone.

I'm getting a good deal on a snooze & cruise room beforehand. So that's helpful for us.

The second our transfer went through we went from a GTY to a room number. I think that killed any changes of a random free upgrade.

I'm undecided if I'll use the TA next time.

Just thought I'd share.

Agh I was hoping for a better chance of an upgrade I also have a gty room

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter