To fly or not to fly?

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Disney next May for our 3rd trip. We drive from Southeast MO and its roughly 15 hours if everything goes well. We typically drive straight-thru on our way down and stop for a night on our way back. Our kids are 6 and 4 and excellent travelers. But on the last trip, they specifically requested that we fly next time. We had some bad traffic, accidents, detours, etc that made the trip almost 18 hours and it got to be a bit much! lol

I checked and we have enough points on our CC to book 4 roundtrip flights from STL to Orlando. Sounds like a no-brainer right?!? Here comes the hard part! I am currently expecting and the baby will be 4 months old by our trip. My DH and I are not big on flying and neither of us have flown in roughly 10 years. We are a 3 hour drive from the airport.

1. I'm worried about the logistics of flying with 3 kids, when we haven't done it ourselves in so long!
2. Has anyone who has gone to Disney and stayed a week, wished that they had carseats for any reason during that week? For instance, we wouldn't even be able to take an Uber or Minnie van during our trip due to not enough seats/carseats. Is a week too long with kids to be solely dependent on Disney transportation? I know people do it all the time, but we've always had a vehicle to go to IHOP, get a few groceries, or head to a park without waiting on a bus. We can rent a car when we get there, but then we would have to bring car seats on the plane. How does that work?
3. We have 3 theme park days and 3 water park days planned with the Park Hopper+ tickets. We will also get a round of mini-golf with our package. What I'm reading on the boards, it seems super long/difficult to get to the water parks from the resorts. Many of the threads suggest Uber, which as i said earlier will be almost impossible due to car seats!
4. What type of food budget do you think we might be looking at? We've always brought our own food such as breakfast, lunch meat, and even the occasional burger at the campground. We typically rely on Disney food about 1x/day instead of 3! I'm already thinking we won't need all the bags we get with Southwest so I can use one to pack breakfast food. We aren't big foodies and don't drink, so aside from maybe one character meal we would be quick-service or food court type of people.

Any insight or recommendations on what has worked/hasn't worked would be great! I'm already looking into Garden Grocer. We will be staying at All-star Movies. I'm planning on renting a stroller once there. We are also planning on using a pack n play from the resort.

Thanks in advance!

Tough call. When we lived in PA, we flew because it would have been 20 hours drive. It was a bit of a pain, because we brought the car seats with us (we stay offsite and rent a car). We don't stay on site, and personally I couldn't imagine relying on WDW transport with 3 little ones, especially an infant. For that reason alone, if I flew, I'd rent a car and bring my car seats. If you fly, figure a 3 hour drive to the airport. You need to get there 90 minutes ahead. Flight is probably about 2.5 hours from STL. Then get your bags and get from MCO to WDW, which is about 45 minutes. You can figure roughly 7 to 8 hours of commute time if you fly. But it has trade offs. Just my own $.02, like I said, I'd fly and rent a car.

Food budget - that's really up to you on where you eat and how often you really eat out. Since we stay offsite, we have a full kitchen. We pack 95% of our meals. Doing the math, I'd say we spent about $7-$8/person per day, probably a bit less. But that's on the very extreme low end...I've read that people who eat out spend $75-100+ per person per day. If you're going to do just one QS meal per day, maybe figure $20-$30/person per day, but that's just a guess.

We drive from Arkansas with a similar drive time. A couple of years ago we flew out of Little Rock. My DH said he'd rather not do that again. And we don't have little ones to deal with at the airport.

I lived in California for many years so had to fly. I love not having to spend days packing just right.

We're driving instead of flying for the first time next month, so I'll let you know how it goes! We're in Texas and it's about an 18 hour trip with stops, gas, etc. My kiddos are 3 and 4, so it should be VERY interesting!

I would say, if you and the kids are comfortable in your car and used to the drive, just stick with what you know and are okay with. A 3 hour drive to the airport plus flight, renting a car, driving to resort, etc. doesn't sound like it'll save you THAT much time. So depending on your kids' demeanor and ability to handle long drives, I'd go that route.

Can you use your points for the hotel or another aspect of your trip if you decide to drive?

What are YOUR pros for flying over driving?

We're driving instead of flying for the first time next month, so I'll let you know how it goes! We're in Texas and it's about an 18 hour trip with stops, gas, etc. My kiddos are 3 and 4, so it should be VERY interesting!

I would say, if you and the kids are comfortable in your car and used to the drive, just stick with what you know and are okay with. A 3 hour drive to the airport plus flight, renting a car, driving to resort, etc. doesn't sound like it'll save you THAT much time. So depending on your kids' demeanor and ability to handle long drives, I'd go that route.

Can you use your points for the hotel or another aspect of your trip if you decide to drive?

What are YOUR pros for flying over driving?

Pros would be
1. Our kids finally get to fly and we at least have the option to not rent a car if we don't want too. Flying anywhere else in the US would essentially mean we would have to rent a car once we got there to go see stuff. With Magical Express and the Buses we could make it work if we were patient enough :)
2. Flying would essentially be about $50 to cover our fees/taxes. Driving would run around $200-300 with the cost of at least one night hotel and gas.
3. I have no idea how the baby will be at traveling so the thought of hopping on a plane and being in Orlando in 2 1/2 hours is very appealing. I have no idea how long it might take us to actually drive when we add in breaks for feeding, diaper changes, etc. I realize it will be a day of travel either way but with the exception of a couple hours on the plane, the kids could roam around waiting in the airport so it would be a new experience.
4. I have family that live within 5 min of the airport so we wouldn't have to pay parking fees, hotels, etc. We could spend the night before with them and they drop us off.

But that's essentially where the pros end! haha I know I would love it on travel day and then wish for my car the rest of the week! We are budget minded and in order to do Disney more I try to make our trips as cheap as possible while not cutting corners to the point of not enjoying ourselves.

Just wanted to share this post from BC1836 on the Transportation 2000+mile thread:

Cool! No getting to the airport two hours early; no TSA experience; no battling for the overhead bins; no waiting for your bags (and no lost luggage); no waiting for ground transportation; pack whatever you want in your vehicle; depart when you want to; stop when you want to; eat and drink during your journey; stretch your legs at a rest stop; use a highway rest room that's much bigger than a airplane's coffin-sized lav; blast your favorite tunes...and sing along; travel with who you want to sit next to; no turbulence; and no outrageous air fares! May we add: "Your flight has been delayed/cancelled!"

Both ways have pros and cons.

Sounds like flying is more cost-effective, and if that's what the deciding factor is, I think you have your answer!!

We were the same, but opposite. This time we have the extra days to allow us to drive, and don't have the additional funds to allow us to fly, so the choice was made for us.

We have 2 reservations for this April, one full-service hookup at Fort Wilderness for our son and us in our RV and a cabin for our DD, SIL, DGS and DGD in a Cabin. Our daughter and family will be flying down due to her being in between semesters of teaching college, the amount of time for our DGS to be out of school and for our 4 year old DGD riding quietly and not fighting (if a genie granted that wish) in a vehicle. We will be stopping 2 nights on the way down from just east of Toronto, Canada so decided direct flights for them is the way to go - costly but effective.

**PS** We also will be taking the stroller and the kids' baggage so they won't need to be delayed and frustrated at the airports.

Last edited:
We live in Colorado, so have always flown to WDW. I have three kids and it was much easier to fly with infants. The baby can nurse/ have a bottle on take off and landing and there's no need to buy an extra seat. I would much rather fly with an infant than drive long distances with an infant(but that might be just me). Your four and six year olds are a perfect age to fly! No strollers, diapers, car seats needed. They will be thrilled to fly for the first time too. Once you get to WDW, the magical express and buses can take you everywhere on property without having to rent a car. Just my two cents, I hope you have an amazing trip whatever you decide!

If we choose to fly, should I look at booking now? Is there a "sweet spot" for finding the cheapest flights?

We have 4 kids and are finally at a stage where we are no longer traveling with strollers or bulky car seats. When we flew (and there almost always was an infant, lol) we had to have a stroller with us. If the baby was in the front pack then the stroller was carting the car seats, backpacks, or luggage. Plus when gate checked it could hold a cranky baby or toddler/preschooler. It could also give me a break from having to hold the baby the entire time while at the airport. Going through airport security with an infant isn't enjoyable either.

While we flew yearly to WDW or DLR from WA we just as often drove as well. These days we drive from SW Tennessee and while it's a long drive we have our car. We don't have to stress over the airport having a car that fits our family size or be dependent on Disney for transportation.

So I checked on this option. Our points are through Chase and with Ultimate Rewards its showing the All-star movies as around $170/night. We are only paying around $120 with a travel agency. I'm guessing you can't apply any discounts to those? Its enough points to cover our week, but I hate the thought of paying $50 more night just to use points. Decisions, decisions!

If we choose to fly, should I look at booking now? Is there a "sweet spot" for finding the cheapest flights?
I would book now through something like Expedia etc and check out all your options of times and direct vs non-direct flights. Others may have a routine that works for them but for me I know when the flights are and don't have to worry about trying to "time the market".

You say you are three hours from the airport, you would need to arrive about 2 hours prior and get all those kids through security, plus the flight time. That sucks up alot of time right there.
I would drive with all those little ones. You can pack your car to the hilt, have your own car, car seats and stroller at the parks and not deal with the buses.

My son flew last week with his baby. They gate checked their stroller/car seat (were attached). They only got back the car seat and had to file a claim for the stroller. So they were without a stroller on a vacation. Flying can be great or a major stress..

Have a great trip!

So I checked on this option. Our points are through Chase and with Ultimate Rewards its showing the All-star movies as around $170/night. We are only paying around $120 with a travel agency. I'm guessing you can't apply any discounts to those? Its enough points to cover our week, but I hate the thought of paying $50 more night just to use points. Decisions, decisions!

Oh no that’s just crazy. Definitely fly, and pay less for the hotel. No brainer! I agree, with an infant flying is best. We went when my son was 6 mos and it was by far easier than the 5 hour drive to my cousins wedding 2 months prior. You won’t be sorry you flew and saved $$! Free transportation (flights and buses) and a cheaper hotel option just makes sense! Does that clear up any of the mud?? ;)

The longest trip we have stayed on-site without a car is 5 days. It wasn't a problem at all but the buses do get old. I packed cereal, oatmeal, snacks, peanut butter and jelly in our luggage to save on food costs. We were able to get bread, milk and fruit from the resort store and the cost wasn't hateful. There is not a lot of space in the room refrigerators and it seems they don't get real cold so you don't want much cold stuff anyways.

As far as UBER, you all don't need to go anywhere. You could have one spouse go to the store if you really needed anything. You can request an UBER with a car seat but it might not be the right size to fit your needs.

If you do fly and want to bring car seats, there is no charge to check car seats. You can check them with your luggage or at the gate. If you are not using them on the plane (must be FAA approved), I would check them with the luggage. At 4, we just brought a backless booster but that is probably against the rules now. There is no charge for stroller check either if you change your mind about that.

I would hate to drive at all, much less with a 4 month old so I would fly.

1. FLYING WITH CHILDREN: Most babies sleep on a plane. Strollers and car seats check for free. You will probably need to rent a cart at the airport to haul your carseats and bags, but those are not terribly expensive, and you only need it to get to the check-in point. Check everything except a backpack with plane supplies and a stroller for the baby to rest in. You can check the stroller plane side, and this makes getting through the airport very easy. Southwest has family boarding, so you will have some space to get settled together. Pack snacks, a laptop, Disney Dvd's, and earbuds to keep the two that aren't babies occupied on the plane. It will be much much easier than 1.5 days in car.
2. USING DISNEY TRANSPORT: The Magical Express from the airport is really easy and helpful. Depending on Disney transportation can be really convenient in some ways, but if you have a robustly packed schedule, I would recommend renting the car, because it will consume much more time to use Disney. Car Rentals are usually really cheap. You may find that one of your credit cards offers discounts on certain companies (or check kayak.com). If you skip the car rental, go on Amazon before your trip and ship food and essentials to your hotel.
3. CAR RENTAL NOTE: If you do rent a car, go to the car rental companies website and sign up to be a "preferred" member or whatever the equivalent is for that company. This will allow you to setup all your insurance, gas (pre-pay or return full) and other preference as well as saving your driver license number, etc. If they have all that info ahead of time, you get to go to the shorter line to check in for your car and makes getting the car so much faster and easier.
4. FOOD BUDGET: We are foodies, so I can't speak for a budget on the cheap. However, I would recommend mailing yourself some food. Also, while there is a premium, if you don't rent a car, you can use the convenience stores at the Disney hotels. They will have the basics you would find in a really great convenience store.

If it were me, I'd rather fly. I drove with my oldest when she was about 4 months old. We only had an 8hr drive from CT to Williamsburg BUT, I nursed her so we had to stop and then had to stop to change the diaper, I forgot about the first stop 20 min from home when she puked all over the car seat/clothes. Lovely.... So it took a lot longer then 8. Actually we drove when to Maine when she was 6 weeks and it was the same deal except my DH and I each drove a car as it was a car show and his show car was only a 2 seater.

1. I'm worried about the logistics of flying with 3 kids, when we haven't done it ourselves in so long!

Everything with 3 kids will be new. One will be a baby and can be contained in a car seat or some kind of carrier. A stroller for the other 2 to get thru the airport. My kids *love* to fly and after our drive from CT to south west FL (about 24 hrs plus a night in a hotel) we all said never again! When we flew with our 3, the youngest was 2 1/2 and ther other 2 were almost 5 and 7 so we used the sit and stand stroller to get thru the airport. We also used family bathrooms if there were any. Security is easy for kids-they get to leave their shoes on. My DH and I sort of had a routine, I'd take the kids and he'd unpack what needed to come out of the bags for the security check. Then he'd pack them quickly and we'd walk to the gate. Now my kids are older and this past April the 15 and 13 yo go pre check and he didn't want to send them and I said good bye! We met on the other side (Hartford is relatively small).

2. Has anyone who has gone to Disney and stayed a week, wished that they had carseats for any reason during that week? Some times I have wished for a car but most times o don't care. The bus/monorail have the a/c on for me and I am not getting in a hot car. DH and I had a car once when we were dating. Never used it though. For instance, we wouldn't even be able to take an Uber or Minnie van during our trip due to not enough seats/carseats. Is a week too long with kids to be solely dependent on Disney transportation? Our last trip was 10 days, no car, we were fine. We sent food/water ahead of time and Iplanned for the time we were there so I knew we'd have enough.

I know people do it all the time, but we've always had a vehicle to go to IHOP, get a few groceries, or head to a park without waiting on a bus. We can rent a car when we get there, but then we would have to bring car seats on the plane. How does that work? You can rent when you get there or for part of the time. I think some rental companies have car seats you can rent with the car or you bring your own and you can gate check or send it with your luggage. FYI, first time with 3 kids, heck 2 kids too, we grab our baggage vs having magical express take it. I sat with the kids and our carryons and my DH went alone to get the luggage. It was less hassle for us all to go down to baggage claim only to come back up to go to another area.

3. We have 3 theme park days and 3 water park days planned with the Park Hopper+ tickets. We will also get a round of mini-golf with our package. What I'm reading on the boards, it seems super long/difficult to get to the water parks from the resorts. Many of the threads suggest Uber, which as i said earlier will be almost impossible due to car seats! Haven't been in 4 years so I can't comment on the bus situation/uber.

4. What type of food budget do you think we might be looking at? We've always brought our own food such as breakfast, lunch meat, and even the occasional burger at the campground. We typically rely on Disney food about 1x/day instead of 3! I'm already thinking we won't need all the bags we get with Southwest so I can use one to pack breakfast food. We aren't big foodies and don't drink, so aside from maybe one character meal we would be quick-service or food court type of people. We are a family of 5. I bring/shop breakfast and we mainly do CS for lunch/dinner. We do 1-2 sit downs on our non park days. Last time we went I scrolled thru the menus and prices and determined our budget would be $40/meal for the 5 of us. We only drank water from our water bottles while in the parks. We went over one meal because my girls wanted some slushie. And I planned for the 2 sit downs to be more then that. When we go next year, I am planning for $50-$60/meal for the 5 of us. My kids are all Disney adults (youngest will be 12 that trip). When my kids were younger, the older 2 were not big eaters so I would order them a kids meal and have a baggies to put in the leftovers and put in my cooler for their next meal.

Any insight or recommendations on what has worked/hasn't worked would be great! I'm already looking into Garden Grocer. We will be staying at All-star Movies. I'm planning on renting a stroller once there. We are also planning on using a pack n play from the resort.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter