to cruise or not to cruise?

thebreards

Earning My Ears
We just received an exceptional offer for the 8-night Bahamian Cruise out of Galveston in May- eek that's soon! But the price is like 1/2 off of the rack rate so it's REALLY TEMPTING.

We have a 3 year old and a 4.5 year old. I know the ship really caters to kids, but my concern is when we dock at the ports. I was looking into port adventures and there aren't many options for kids under 5. A walking tour here or there, but that is not going to hold the interest of my kids. We have 1 day at Castaway Cay and one on Key West. Any ideas what to do with young kids at those ports? The other port is Canaveral so that will be a disney day I am sure.

We just received an exceptional offer for the 8-night Bahamian Cruise out of Galveston in May- eek that's soon! But the price is like 1/2 off of the rack rate so it's REALLY TEMPTING.

We have a 3 year old and a 4.5 year old. I know the ship really caters to kids, but my concern is when we dock at the ports. I was looking into port adventures and there aren't many options for kids under 5. A walking tour here or there, but that is not going to hold the interest of my kids. We have 1 day at Castaway Cay and one on Key West. Any ideas what to do with young kids at those ports? The other port is Canaveral so that will be a disney day I am sure.

Potty trained kids can go to the clubs. However at that young age I personally wouldn't want to be off the ship for more than 2 or 3 hours max in case I was needed.

Castaway Cay you can check your kids into the clubs once you get off the ship. They have activities for them on the island. They do not take them swimming.

You might consider doing excursions on your own. You could call and see if the tour operators have excursions that would suit your family. Just be careful to time them correctly because the ship will leave you if you are late back to port.

I wouldn't worry to much about the ports. I did that cruise just this past January. It is not port heavy, seeing as you have 1 full port day, 1/2 a port day, and then the day at Castaway.

Castaway Cay they will either be taken care of at the kids clubs or they can hang with you. Or, both:)

Port Canaveral, you get park hoppers for Disney...so that day is taken care of. What kid doesn't want to go to Disney???:cool1:

And then Key West, you are only there for about 5 1/2 hrs. And if you leave them in the kids clubs, it would only be for half the day. Not bad.

The rest you are at sea. It was a GREAT cruise:goodvibes

DO IT!!!

Disney will be a great excursion for your kids as well as getting off at Castaway Cay. While you are in port is also a great time to spend on the pool deck! We did this in the morning at Castaway Cay and were able to ride the Aquaduck over and over with NO line. Your kids may not be old enough for this but you could always take them to the Oceaneer's club while you and your wife enjoy it :) My 5 y/o was tall enough to ride with me, they have to be 42 in. I'm not sure what there is to do in Key West but maybe that day would be a good day for you to do this.

Also wanted to add that when I registered my 3 y/o son who is NOT potty trained for the kids club it specifically asked this, I marked NO. It was marked on his band. He wore diapers in the club, we got texts when he needed change and they never had a problem with him coming into the club.

Also wanted to add that when I registered my 3 y/o son who is NOT potty trained for the kids club it specifically asked this, I marked NO. It was marked on his band. He wore diapers in the club, we got texts when he needed change and they never had a problem with him coming into the club.

Thanks for that intel. My 3 year old is trying to potty train but we have been trying since December. She just gets distracted really easily and doesn't go.

I also should have added that my husband and I were trying to plan a getaway for just the two of us. So my dilemna is really do we go to Spain or Costa Rico, which is what we narrowed it down to or do we can that and take another family vacation? We are getting ready to move again so we won't be close to relatives that will watch our little ones while we getaway in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!