TL or BB with 7yr old?

Wes1stTrip2016

DIS Veteran
Husband has asked to do a water park this trip. Which one would be best with our 7yr old son? Also are these full day parks? Thanks!

I feel B Beach is more kid friendly
Whole day depends on what you mean. They are not open as late as regular parks and you will need to stand in line much more since there are not fp+.
So yeah, you can fill a day there but you might also want to hit a regular park at night

Original plan was 2 park days, take Weds off, then 2 park days. I dont want too lose a park day, so considering extra day of tickets and do water park on Weds, but also dont want to completely exhaust ourselves.

Just took our 10 year old daughter and her 9 year old friend to Blizzard Beach. They have both been to both water parks before and they chose BB. We went to a character breakfast in the morning and didn't get to BB until about 1pm. It closed at 6p but I think that was plenty of time for us. Ended up grabbing a quick dinner and closing out the night at the Poly pool where we were staying. We went to parks Thur/Fri, BB on Saturday and parks on Sunday. We had long park days so it was nice to take a little rest on Saturday at the water park. Our feet needed a break from all the walking.

I think Typhoon Lagoon is what I would choose for this age. He will likely love TL's water coasters, there are great family raft rides, and he might not be ready for Blizzard Beach's extreme signature waterslide, Summit Plummet. My only concern about TL is its crazy wave pool. I make my son wear a life jacket in it, even though he can swim (they have them for free by the pool). Typhoon Lagoon is also a bit shadier and has a more relaxed vibe than Blizzard Beach.

To us, the water parks are half-day parks, but that could be because we go in the summer, when it tends to rain every day in the mid to late afternoon. We always get there at rope drop, spend a few hours doing our desired rides, then leave. I'm sure there is something to be said for going for just a few hours in the late afternoon/evening instead, but the trick would be timing that to avoid rain. That's why we go at rope drop.

Last edited:
We're very seasoned veterans of both parks, love them.

As far as crowds, no, they're not crowded in the sense that the 4 main parks are. However, the biggest issue you'll run into is that there is no FP+. Therefore, the most popular slides will get long lines from roughly 11am to 5pm. However, you won't have a problem getting a seat at either park, in the shade. It's not wall to wall people. The parks usually open at 10am. Show up at 9:55am...no need to be earlier than that. Grab a chair and head for the big slides (if DS7 is adventurous). There will be no lines. You can go on them as many times as you want in the first hour. Then it'll get busier, and that's when you go to things like the wave pool or lazy river, or even smaller slides.

As for which park, it truly doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't. They both have a lot of things in common, and then have unique things of their own. The kid area of BB is easier to find, and has a few unique things for kids, such as a zip line, but that doesn't at all make it more kid friendly. My kids actually prefer TL, but that's not to say they don't like BB...it's really 51%/49%. The wave pool at TL is like nothing you've probably ever seen. It has massive waves, which are a blast. However, don't let anyone scare you into saying it isn't for kids. That's baloney. It's a zero entry pool, so if DS7 isn't a strong swimmer or is just not super adventurous, he can stand in it just up to his knees and he'll be 100% fine. We brought our kids in it when they were literally 1 year old. If DS7 is a strong swimmer, he can go out a little deeper, and the waves get bigger. Just be aware the bottom of the pool is rough concrete, so you can get "rug burn" if you slide along the bottom. The waves come once every 90 seconds, roughly, so you have plenty of calm time between waves. The wave pool at BB is very different. It's a serious of continuous very tiny waves, like bobbing up and down. It's like being adrift at sea in the ocean...constant up and down. I enjoy it, but frankly get a little sea sick after too much of it. Both places have awesome lazy rivers and various tube/mat/family slides. TL has Crush n Gusher, which is kinda like a roller coaster. You sit on a tube and a jet of water propels you forward, through small tunnels, and even up small hills. It's really fun.

How good of a swimmer is your child? Mine were always good swimmers and when they were little could have spent the whole day just at the preteen Ski Patrol area at BB. We asked for lockers in the ski patrol area and there's a restroom right there too. Plenty of chairs usually.

Original plan was 2 park days, take Weds off, then 2 park days. I dont want too lose a park day, so considering extra day of tickets and do water park on Weds, but also dont want to completely exhaust ourselves.

I'm confused. So you are doing 4 park days, so you have a 4 day park ticket.

You are considering adding an extra day of tickets and do water park ......

So so you know, the water parks are their own ticket or an option to add to hoppers, you don't use regular park tickets for that.

PS I vote BB hands down. He'll love Ski Patrol Area and plenty more to do.

We're very seasoned veterans of both parks, love them.

As far as crowds, no, they're not crowded in the sense that the 4 main parks are. However, the biggest issue you'll run into is that there is no FP+. Therefore, the most popular slides will get long lines from roughly 11am to 5pm. However, you won't have a problem getting a seat at either park, in the shade. It's not wall to wall people. The parks usually open at 10am. Show up at 9:55am...no need to be earlier than that. Grab a chair and head for the big slides (if DS7 is adventurous). There will be no lines. You can go on them as many times as you want in the first hour. Then it'll get busier, and that's when you go to things like the wave pool or lazy river, or even smaller slides.

As for which park, it truly doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't. They both have a lot of things in common, and then have unique things of their own. The kid area of BB is easier to find, and has a few unique things for kids, such as a zip line, but that doesn't at all make it more kid friendly. My kids actually prefer TL, but that's not to say they don't like BB...it's really 51%/49%. The wave pool at TL is like nothing you've probably ever seen. It has massive waves, which are a blast. However, don't let anyone scare you into saying it isn't for kids. That's baloney. It's a zero entry pool, so if DS7 isn't a strong swimmer or is just not super adventurous, he can stand in it just up to his knees and he'll be 100% fine. We brought our kids in it when they were literally 1 year old. If DS7 is a strong swimmer, he can go out a little deeper, and the waves get bigger. Just be aware the bottom of the pool is rough concrete, so you can get "rug burn" if you slide along the bottom. The waves come once every 90 seconds, roughly, so you have plenty of calm time between waves. The wave pool at BB is very different. It's a serious of continuous very tiny waves, like bobbing up and down. It's like being adrift at sea in the ocean...constant up and down. I enjoy it, but frankly get a little sea sick after too much of it. Both places have awesome lazy rivers and various tube/mat/family slides. TL has Crush n Gusher, which is kinda like a roller coaster. You sit on a tube and a jet of water propels you forward, through small tunnels, and even up small hills. It's really fun.

WOW - thank you!! I couldn't have asked for a better reply! Our son is a FISH, he loves all things water and the rougher the surfer at the Gulf in PCB (where the G'parents live) the more he likes it, so Typhoon Lagoon sounds like the place for us! Crush & Gusher sounds like a blast, can't wait too try it come next April. Now me, the Mom of the bunch, will be found being lazy in the lazy river somewhere! :-)

I'm confused. So you are doing 4 park days, so you have a 4 day park ticket.

You are considering adding an extra day of tickets and do water park ......

So so you know, the water parks are their own ticket or an option to add to hoppers, you don't use regular park tickets for that.

PS I vote BB hands down. He'll love Ski Patrol Area and plenty more to do.

4 day ticket already booked, but yes I would consider adding the extra day to go to a waterpark. Should we do that, I will miss my lazy day by the Hippy Dippy pool. :P I have plenty of time to decide yet and will change my mind a least a million times between now & time to make ADR's. :-)

How good of a swimmer is your child? Mine were always good swimmers and when they were little could have spent the whole day just at the preteen Ski Patrol area at BB. We asked for lockers in the ski patrol area and there's a restroom right there too. Plenty of chairs usually.

Looks like I need to investigate this Ski Patrol area, you are the 2nd person in a row to recommend it!! :D Thank you!!!

4 day ticket already booked, but yes I would consider adding the extra day to go to a waterpark. Should we do that, I will miss my lazy day by the Hippy Dippy pool. :P I have plenty of time to decide yet and will change my mind a least a million times between now & time to make ADR's. :-)

Are they hopper tickets? If they are hopper than you can add the waterpark and more option that will give you 4 visits to one of those for about $15.

If they are not hopper tickets you will have to purchase a one day waterpark ticket for around $60 or pay for hopper and waterpark/more which adds much more.

Are they hopper tickets? If they are hopper than you can add the waterpark and more option that will give you 4 visits to one of those for about $15.

If they are not hopper tickets you will have to purchase a one day waterpark ticket for around $60 or pay for hopper and waterpark/more which adds much more.

No, not hoppers. Last trip, we did 1 park each day and still didn't see everything. My thoughts were: MK, AK, OFF day, MK, HS.
Now I'm thinking: MK, BB/TL, off day, AK, MK.

But wait - did I read you correctly - we can NOT use a park ticket for a day at the water parks?

No, not hoppers. Last trip, we did 1 park each day and still didn't see everything. My thoughts were: MK, AK, OFF day, MK, HS.
Now I'm thinking: MK, BB/TL, off day, AK, MK.

But wait - did I read you correctly - we can NOT use a park ticket for a day at the water parks?

Correct.
You can NOT use a regular park ticket for waterpark.
You need a waterpark one day ticket or have hopper tickets you can add waterpark/more options.

That might make your decision if you don't have hopper tickets as the price will jump a good bit.

Correct. Water parks are separate tickets. Or you can buy a "hopper and more" add-on. But if you don't already have a hopper, it'll be cheaper just to buy a ticket to the water park.

Depends if the 7yr old is 48" with no shoes. If he is shorter, do BB, as the water coaster in TL is 48" so it would be disappointing to be able to see it and not go on.

Correct.
You can NOT use a regular park ticket for waterpark.
You need a waterpark one day ticket or have hopper tickets you can add waterpark/more options.

That might make your decision if you don't have hopper tickets as the price will jump a good bit.

Well that's a bummer, but good info, thanks for sharing!

My kids both preferred Blizzard Beach at that age. They love the zipline and the "ice walk" in the Ski Patrol play area for bigger kids.
Typhoon Lagoon only has a toddler play area and your child would be too tall to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter