Tipsy is as Tipsy Does - A February '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 8/15

Been following along, yet another great trip report!!

I think I know what happened to monorail "Bob?" Someone sent SlowBoat Willie for him, poor guy doesn't stand a chance! :rotfl:

I somehow lost track of this since I joined on page two :confused3 All caught up again and enjoying your dining report! Casey is adorable :love: I love that you split dinners with her and that she doesn't just eat chicken nuggets and pizza, like my DD :rolleyes1

Can't wait to read more :-)

Got behind... doing that pesky trip to Orlando thing :rolleyes1 but back and caught up and now hungry despite it being 11:00...

Narcoossee's always looks SO great in your dining reviews. We are going to have to give it a shot here soon. It's crazy since your meal looks night and day (wait, literally har har) different from our brunch which was a total miss. But that pasta looks amazing and the cheesecake is definitely on my bucket list. Maybe we'll get there in October!

Your pool drink sounds amazing, definitely going to have to try something like that on my summer rotation. Actually, may need to make a sample batch or 3 before then, you know, just to perfect the recipe. :D

After we got back to the lodge Jason went for a run, Casey went for a swim, and I went for the rum....
Well, if I was going to pick one of those three activities, that's the one I'd go with too!

Seafood and cheese is rarely a good combination, but here they have somehow found a way to pull it off.
The only time I've had seafood and cheese that works is cod au gratin. Ever heard of that? Or is it a Newfoundland dish?

This is the CocoJito, RumHaven Coconut Rum, Coconut Water, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water. I ended up having a few of these on the trip and they hit the proverbial refreshing yet boozy spot!
This looks so refreshing!

Eventually Slowboat Willie made his way to the dock and not surprisingly the other one was right behind him. When Willie saw the other boat he commented it had been riding his butt all night. Clearly he did not take that as a sign to hustle it along.
We had something like this happen to us once. They were training someone and the boat was just circling around and around and around... It was so frustrating! Thankfully, you were able to keep your reservation!

Matthew and I ordered the same thing, the Wild-caught Shrimp and Garganelli Pasta with Savoy Spinach, Oven-roasted Tomatoes, Basil Pistou, Comté Cheese, Chardonnay-Garlic Cream.
This looks super yummy!

And to probably none of your surprises while the whole restaurant watched Wishes, this kid watched the Electric Water Parade.

Good thing disney is changing the fireworks show, cause she is clearly over Wishes.
I'm with her... I love the EWP. I know it's nothing crazy but I just love it.

How have I missed this? Joining in late but loving catching up on your posts. I have no excuse except for some nasty late winter snow shoveling and I discovered Downton Abbey on Netflix. Major binge watching. :rolleyes1Now time for some major binging on Kari Dining Adventures!

I'm so freekin' far behind it's not even funny :sad2:

Loved seeing your Narcoossee's review, I think we are finally going to make it there for the first time in July, woo hoo! :goodvibes But why do they have to ruin perfectly lovely scallops with raisins?? I feel about raisins how you feel about mushrooms. There is nowhere that I could sneak them in without gagging... Wonder if I could order those divine scallops sans shriveled up grapes. :scratchin

Your meals at Narcoossee's look so good, but just no to the fried calamari legs/tentacles, whatever you want to call them! I love the rings, but seriously, can't even look at those little suction cup legs. :scared1: I know, I must not be a true Italian, even though three out of my four grandparents were born in Italy. Maybe I was adopted. :scratchin I mean, I also hate wine, lol. We haven't been to Narcoossee's in 15 years, when we went to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. I think it's time we went back!

I'm here, creeping and lurking as usual. This is yet another awesome trip report from you. You and your fam seem like such a fun bunch, I really enjoy following along.
So glad to hear you are enjoying it. Feel free to creep and lurk right along with me!

I somehow missed this report, but I'm here now!
Thanks for joining in!

I am so enjoying your reviews! I must say Narcoossee's is the one restaurant we got to every trip. I just cannot not go..lol! We get the bottle of Conundrum as well. I just love that wine! Such a lovely variety of white grapes. The Scallop dish looks amazing. I usually order the Lobster, but I think I just might order the Scallops for our upcoming trip. I cannot wait to read more reviews! Thanks for sharing!
I'm so right there with ya on Narcoosee's. Like I said I am not a creature of habit it all, but Narcoossee's (and Yachtsman) are our exceptions to that. We enjoy the conundrum too, but overall I'm pretty disappointed with the Narcoossee's wine list. It certainly isn't at the same level as the other signatures. And I just may have maybe sent a slightly inebriated message to disney to share my thoughts recently :-)

Love the Narcoosee's review. The shrimp and pasta and fried calamari looks delicious. That fireworks view is awesome :thumbsup2.
Thanks! Can't beat good seafood and fireworks!

Yum! I love calamari and that looked delish. What a fabulous view for Wishes, too! :wizard:
Yum is an understatement. Their calamari is oh so good!

Great reviews! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for joining in!

Been following along, yet another great trip report!!

I think I know what happened to monorail "Bob?" Someone sent SlowBoat Willie for him, poor guy doesn't stand a chance! :rotfl:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Now that I think of it maybe monorail Bob and Slowboat Willie are one in the same. I can just imagine the slow boat with him saying Bob, Bob, Bob

I somehow lost track of this since I joined on page two :confused3 All caught up again and enjoying your dining report! Casey is adorable :love: I love that you split dinners with her and that she doesn't just eat chicken nuggets and pizza, like my DD :rolleyes1

Can't wait to read more :-)
No worries on losing track, I'm so freakin' slow at keeping up with this thing you missed next to nothing.

We are certainly very lucky that Casey just accepts eating what I eat. And thankfully she's a less picky eater than I :-)

Got behind... doing that pesky trip to Orlando thing :rolleyes1 but back and caught up and now hungry despite it being 11:00...
That pesky Orlando. How dare it come between you and my dining report :-)

Narcoossee's always looks SO great in your dining reviews. We are going to have to give it a shot here soon. It's crazy since your meal looks night and day (wait, literally har har) different from our brunch which was a total miss. But that pasta looks amazing and the cheesecake is definitely on my bucket list. Maybe we'll get there in October!
Yeah I remember your brunch and the epic fail that it was. Dinner though they clearly have down to a science. You should most definitely give it a whirl. I really think you'll love it.

Your pool drink sounds amazing, definitely going to have to try something like that on my summer rotation. Actually, may need to make a sample batch or 3 before then, you know, just to perfect the recipe. :D
You and me both!!! If you figure it out first let me know. Needs to be about 15 degrees warmer here before I go into rum and coconut water mode.

Well, if I was going to pick one of those three activities, that's the one I'd go with too!
I mean, really, who wouldn't choose rum (except for maybe the child). Speaking of which, one of our favorite Key West bars had this sign up last time we were there. My kinda activity and my kinda soup!
upload_2017-4-13_20-15-59.png

The only time I've had seafood and cheese that works is cod au gratin. Ever heard of that? Or is it a Newfoundland dish?
I've heard of cod and I've heard of au gratin, but only the potato varietal. Must be one of those New Foundland things for sure.

We had something like this happen to us once. They were training someone and the boat was just circling around and around and around... It was so frustrating! Thankfully, you were able to keep your reservation!
Frustrating indeed. Sadly we couldn't even blame training. Just pure unadulterated slowness.

I'm with her... I love the EWP. I know it's nothing crazy but I just love it.
I love it too, but hello there were massive fireworks right there in the sky and she was just totally in her own little EWP world :-)

How have I missed this? Joining in late but loving catching up on your posts. I have no excuse except for some nasty late winter snow shoveling and I discovered Downton Abbey on Netflix. Major binge watching. :rolleyes1Now time for some major binging on Kari Dining Adventures!
How have you missed this indeed? I am just so insulted that snow and downtown abbey could have somehow over taken me :-) Speaking of which, if you liked downtown abbey, have you seen the crown yet? Not quite as good as downtown but downright bingeworthy too. I had no idea the royals were so screwed up

I'm so freekin' far behind it's not even funny :sad2:

Loved seeing your Narcoossee's review, I think we are finally going to make it there for the first time in July, woo hoo! :goodvibes But why do they have to ruin perfectly lovely scallops with raisins?? I feel about raisins how you feel about mushrooms. There is nowhere that I could sneak them in without gagging... Wonder if I could order those divine scallops sans shriveled up grapes. :scratchin
But you said freekin, so that is at least funny :P

Sincerely hope you get there in July. It has never disappointed us. And I'm sure you could get the scallops sans the raisins, though you may be the first raisin hater I've ever encountered. Hope that doesn't translate to the juice (aka wine) varietal. Just don't do like I did last time and ask for the raisins on the side and somehow end up with an entire dish of them that cost an extra $15 :-)

Your meals at Narcoossee's look so good, but just no to the fried calamari legs/tentacles, whatever you want to call them! I love the rings, but seriously, can't even look at those little suction cup legs. :scared1: I know, I must not be a true Italian, even though three out of my four grandparents were born in Italy. Maybe I was adopted. :scratchin I mean, I also hate wine, lol. We haven't been to Narcoossee's in 15 years, when we went to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. I think it's time we went back!
What, no legs or tentacles??? That is the best part :-) Funny after writing this review the other day we went to our favorite italian place and got some calamari, just so we could get the legs :P

YOU HATE WINE????? And your more Italian than me (1 Italian grandma) That's it, I'm taking your Italian card forever!!!!:P

Cute pic of Casey with Moana! Love the pic where she's dressed up like her too!
Your salad at Sci Fi looks good but the salmon looks questionable. I like my salmon to be just barely seared or sushi-raw. That boursin burger looks delicious though!
Good for you going on ToT. I haven't been on that in about 20 years as well. I hate free falling!
Delicious coffee drink you got there from Joffrey's!! I may have to get one!

What a great afternoon at the pool and at Narcoosees. That will be one of my must-dos when we stay at the GF in the fall!
That pasta looks amazing.
I like scallops but they have to be done right otherwise I'm not the biggest fan of them but I am curious to see how that dish tastes.
How fun watching the fireworks from there!

But you said freekin, so that is at least funny

:laughing:, well gotta keep it DISboards friendly and all

And I'm sure you could get the scallops sans the raisins, though you may be the first raisin hater I've ever encountered.

What??? I'm sure that there are other raisin haters out there. Raisin haters unite!

Hope that doesn't translate to the juice (aka wine) varietal

No way, shriveled up nasty raisins and wine are most assuredly not created equal in my book. Regular grapes and grown up grape juice are A-ok :thumbsup2. I don't like cooked fruit ( like fruit pies) or jelly either. Weird, I know.

Just don't do like I did last time and ask for the raisins on the side and somehow end up with an entire dish of them that cost an extra $15 :-)

Holy moley! Have you shared that story? I'd like to hear it

Found your report and had to follow along. I loved the last TR you did. DH and I were discussing dining options this afternoon and I told him I had to go back and reread that last TR of yours because so much of what you had looked delicious. We still don't have all of our dining choices made but when I told him about your review of Skippers Canteena he had to have me pull up the menu to it, of course we will be dining there now. He also wants to do Yack and yeti, and Narcoossees, all 3 of these are new to us. Maybe I'll get a few more ideas from this report. Looking forward to future updates.

Your salad at Sci Fi looks good but the salmon looks questionable. I like my salmon to be just barely seared or sushi-raw. That boursin burger looks delicious though!
Yeah the salmon was definitely questionable. I'm completely in the same boat as you. I'd much eat raw salmon or tuna over cooked any day.

Good for you going on ToT. I haven't been on that in about 20 years as well. I hate free falling!
I'm not a big fan, but I didn't want to take the crap from my brother :-) Plus I figure Casey is going to be up for it sooner rather than later so I needed to prepare myself.

What a great afternoon at the pool and at Narcoosees. That will be one of my must-dos when we stay at the GF in the fall!
That pasta looks amazing.
I like scallops but they have to be done right otherwise I'm not the biggest fan of them but I am curious to see how that dish tastes.
How fun watching the fireworks from there!
Hope you all enjoy Narcoossee's as much as we did! The scallops are always cooked right in my opinion so you should be in good shape.

What??? I'm sure that there are other raisin haters out there. Raisin haters unite!
I'm not aware of any, but maybe there is a support group you can join :-)

No way, shriveled up nasty raisins and wine are most assuredly not created equal in my book. Regular grapes and grown up grape juice are A-ok :thumbsup2. I don't like cooked fruit ( like fruit pies) or jelly either. Weird, I know.
As long as you're drinking the juice, you can dislike all you want in my book :P

Found your report and had to follow along. I loved the last TR you did. DH and I were discussing dining options this afternoon and I told him I had to go back and reread that last TR of yours because so much of what you had looked delicious. We still don't have all of our dining choices made but when I told him about your review of Skippers Canteena he had to have me pull up the menu to it, of course we will be dining there now. He also wants to do Yack and yeti, and Narcoossees, all 3 of these are new to us. Maybe I'll get a few more ideas from this report. Looking forward to future updates.
Thanks for joining in!!!! Sounds like you have some good restaurants picked and maybe I can inspire a few more :-) We ate at Skippers and Yak n Yeti again this trip so those will be coming up soon

Festivus for the Rest of Us

We were up bright and early the next day and headed to Ep-A-Cot. We're not normally up and early kinda people, but we wanted to make sure we could ride Soarin' since we'd used our tier 1 fast pass for the frozen ride (Matthew's request as he hadn't riden it yet, I totally would have passed). Thankfully our mission was accomplished and we had a great morning swinging around the world, hanging with a purple dinosaur, swimming under the sea with a clown fish, and even met a couple of mice and a dog.

Casey also wanted to indoctrinate Uncle Matt to the pleasures of Beverley. He'd of course had it before, but he was a good sport for his tour guide.

After that it was time to head into the World Showcase for some much needed adult fun. Before our trip we were thrilled to hear the new Festival of the Arts would be going on during our trip. Unfortunately I hadn't done to much research on it, so we were winging it a bit. Normally this serves us well, today not so much.

First stop was the masterpiece kitchen which was over by Canada. I took Casey to do the special artists palette they had at the kidcot station, while the boys went for provisions.

Sadly this is the only photo I had, as the boys came back with NOTHING!!!! Apparently the booths offerings of charcuterie, salmon tartare, and mushroom risotto (yuck) did nothing for them so we journeyed on.

We came to the UK next and this was where I started to realize this was not like Food and Wine or Flower and Garden festival as there was no booth in the vicinity. Oh well. Guess we'll just drink.

We picked up a couple of Smithwicks and some Snakebites (Strongbow cider and Bass) outside Rose and Crown. You'll note Casey had also picked up a Baymax somewhere along the way with her money. Her toys were suddenly getting larger .

Having not eaten and it now approaching noon we were in need of some sustenance. So we headed to France to check out their booth, but you guessed it there wasn't one! We ended up picking up a festival booklet at this time and figured out there wasn't another food booth until America!!!! That was like a whole continent away , so we just went into Boulangerie Patisserie to grab something. Unfortunately their line was at least 40 people deep so onward to Morocco.

At this point we realized they were serving some festival specialties at some Quick Service spots so in Tangerine Cafe Jason and I tried their special Homemade Falafel with pickled beets, turnips, tomato salad, and tahini.

Clearly this was going to fill us up. :P Unfortunately on top of being fairly small, they just weren't good. The falafel were way too dense and overlooked. The tomato salad was fine, but there were no discernible turnips and a huge piece of beet just seemed out of place. I'll stick to the falafel at Skippers Canteen from now on.

Speaking of small I also got a glass of their sangria in honor of @ariane37 .

As you can see this is clearly the smallest glass of sangria in the world. It also just tasted like it was straight out of the box of franzia my inlaws drink. The food was bad, the drink was bad, I blame Ariane :P

Casey seemed to be the only winner in Morocco as she enjoyed the rice I got for her

And double bonus there was no line for Jasmine.

Onward to Japan we went, where we only hoped it would get better. And thankfully it did! Matthew and I ducked into the little kiosk across from the Teppan Edo check in and got a Cucumber Cooler and Spicy Mango drink.

I initially got the spicy mango one which was a little too sweet for me, but I really liked the spicy. The cucmber one was nice and refreshing, but had a bit of a odd taste as it finished. I didn't mind it so we ended up trading. #HappyCampers

Casey got in the drink action too and picked up some sort strawberry soda with a marble in it from Mitsukoshi. I didn't get it, but she was thrilled.

We also picked up 2 of the festival special Futomaki Sushi from Kabuki Cafe.

The actual roll was huge so it was hard to eat but it was nicely balanced and chock full of eel and crab. My little slushi fiend was a bit disappointed it wasn't frushi, but she enjoyed it nonetheless.

Next we caught the red eye to America, where we were thrilled to finally find another booth: The Artists Palette. Here we got the
Roasted Pork Roulade with Marble Potatoes, Baby Carrots and Red Wine Sauce featuring Melissa’s Produce.

Now I don't know who Melissa is, but I firmly blame her for the atrocity that this was. The pork was so overcooked it was almost mushy, the wine sauce resembled nothing wine related, and the few little pieces of poor Melissa's produce could not save it. We ended up taking a bite or 2 and throwing it away. And we couldn't even drown our sorrows in a drink as for reasons I still can't figure out, the only "drink" offerings this booth had were chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate, Casey continued her winning streak with this little gem.

Meet the Artist Palate Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie, which came with a little paint brush so you could "paint" the cookie with icing. Thankfully this was huge so after Casey was done with her artistic masterpiece she could share it with her 3 tipsy chaperones who'd had little to eat at this point.

Before we left America, we stopped to cross the Delaware with George.

At least I thought we were crossing the Delaware, I'm not quite sure what these two were doing.

I'll stop there for now. Up next, will the festivus redeem itself, will we get food, will we just further topple into tipsiness??? Such mystery, such intrigue, you'll have to wait and see!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen beets on a Mediterranean restaurant menu. Like, never in my life. Such an odd thing to throw on falafel.

We've always enjoyed Tangerine Cafe especially the chicken shawarma. I made the mistake of ordering a drink there too once. Maybe the white sangria??? It was gross. Wasted alcohol calories!

Also bummer about the food booths. Hopefully they redeem themselves!

That long piece of beet you are referring too looks a lot like the pickled turnips we get on our falafels here. I think that's what that might be. Your festival of the arts food is not looking too promising so far although Casey is doing quite well! I took your advice on Jiko and booked it for my arrival night at AKL. Curious question....have you ever eaten at Spice Road Table? I am thinking of it for my August trip. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the day turned out!

First of all loving the title :rotfl2: My dad texts my sister and I every year to wish us Happy Festivus.

Yeah none of those food options are looking very good. I guess I understand the need for another festival since F&W and F&G are so popular, but you'd think they would have the food up to par.

Hopefully it gets better!

I think Morocco's booths just need to be skipped for here on out!

I'm glad Casey enjoyed her Slushie! She eats better than most adults with her palette! You've done well!

I love your selections of drinks (except Morocco) as all of those seem in line with what I like! Glad you didn't get lost on the Delaware ;).

Sorry you struck out on the festival options - I had such good luck on my visit but I went in the other direction!

Hmm, I wasn't sure about the whole Festival of the Arts but I guess you can say it was more about the art than the food? All the food seemed to look pretty though! Cute pics with the characters! I love Casey's sushi t-shirt! It's super cute! And yay for no line for Jasmine! I always fine her and Aladdin's line so long.

The falafel looks a little strange with the beets and tomato salsa, doesn't seem like something I'd associate with it. The sushi looks pretty good, but that pork from America looks a bit blah and I guess it tasted blah too. That's cute that you can pose with that artwork! Was that a festival-only photo op?
That palette cookie looks really cute! I can see how kids would have fun with it!

Casey looks like she is getting so tall!

As you can see this is clearly the smallest glass of sangria in the world. It also just tasted like it was straight out of the box of franzia my inlaws drink. The food was bad, the drink was bad, I blame Ariane :P

Ha, funny you say that, when we were at the bar at Sanaa, I noticed that the Beso del Sol that they seem to sell everywhere actually does come out of a box :( :eek:

I initially got the spicy mango one which was a little too sweet for me, but I really liked the spicy. The cucmber one was nice and refreshing, but had a bit of a odd taste as it finished. I didn't mind it so we ended up trading. #HappyCampers

I always see these, and I have been wanting to try the Cucumber one! Sounds like they were both decent. Justin will never move away from the Sunset Tokyo, so I'll have to get the cucumber one myself sometime.

Now I don't know who Melissa is, but I firmly blame her for the atrocity that this was. The pork was so overcooked it was almost mushy, the wine sauce resembled nothing wine related, and the few little pieces of poor Melissa's produce could not save it. We ended up taking a bite or 2 and throwing it away. And we couldn't even drown our sorrows in a drink as for reasons I still can't figure out, the only "drink" offerings this booth had were chocolate.

So I totally thought that the stuff on the right was pork and the stuff on the left next to the carrot & potato was bread :confused: Poor Melissa and her produce, sounds like it was crappy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter