Tipping question

Wow. So do you tip people in every day life that probably make less than you do? Most CMs are not allowed to accept tips...you can get them in a boatload of trouble!!!

Where are you getting your information from that they will get into a boatload of trouble? First of all, if a guest wants to tip a castmember, they can!! Disney never want to insult the guest so if a guest INSISTS on leaving a tip for a housekeeper, bus driver, etc. they are able to do so!! Why is there so much misinformation on here? I know for a fact that the hairwrappers, artists, face painters are all 3rd party vendors and they are allowed to accept tips but because there are people like you who say that cast members can't accept a tip, no one tips them!! I am a former bus driver and we could not ask for tips but if a guest insisted on giving us a tip, we were able to do so as long as if they insisted after us saying NO 3x (which is soooo ridiculous)!! So Guests as long as you keep insisting to give the tip, give it!!! Its funny to me that the servers can accept tips and they dont do as hard of work as alot of others!! Not that they don't work hard but theres alot of buffets, etc. You should tip your housekeepers, your hairwrappers, face painters, bell hop, etc. and the bus driver if they do something special for you!! The Mears bus drivers expect tips and they will be the ones to mention it!!! If disney can nickel and dime you to death with the soda cups, etc. and you accept it then you can give a tip to someone who is doing a service for you personally!!

I don't tip housekeeping based on whether they're in a union or not.
I've traveled quite a bit over my many years and don't base tipping on whether the staff is represented or not.

I tip housekeeping usually $4 per night for two adults.....not based on their income but the fact they do a fine job cleaning our room.

I tip everyone at WDW at least one dollar. I bring 100 single dollar bills on each trip and any cast member that says anything nice to me gets a dollar. This makes me feel less guilty that I potentially have a job that pays more than a cast member.
Sounds crazy to me, but do whatever makes you happy!

Wow. So do you tip people in every day life that probably make less than you do? Most CMs are not allowed to accept tips...you can get them in a boatload of trouble!!!

Where are you getting your information from that they will get into a boatload of trouble? First of all, if a guest wants to tip a castmember, they can!! Disney never want to insult the guest so if a guest INSISTS on leaving a tip for a housekeeper, bus driver, etc. they are able to do so!! Why is there so much misinformation on here? I know for a fact that the hairwrappers, artists, face painters are all 3rd party vendors and they are allowed to accept tips but because there are people like you who say that cast members can't accept a tip, no one tips them!! I am a former bus driver and we could not ask for tips but if a guest insisted on giving us a tip, we were able to do so as long as if they insisted after us saying NO 3x (which is soooo ridiculous)!! So Guests as long as you keep insisting to give the tip, give it!!! Its funny to me that the servers can accept tips and they dont do as hard of work as alot of others!! Not that they don't work hard but theres alot of buffets, etc. You should tip your housekeepers, your hairwrappers, face painters, bell hop, etc. and the bus driver if they do something special for you!! The Mears bus drivers expect tips and they will be the ones to mention it!!! If disney can nickel and dime you to death with the soda cups, etc. and you accept it then you can give a tip to someone who is doing a service for you personally!!

Where do I get that 'misinformation'? From the myriad of WDW CMs that I know...past and present! One girl I know, that was working at GS in MK, was hard pressed by a guest to accept a tip. She repeated that she was doing her job, and wasn't allowed to take any gratuities! She says they are told to repeat this three times..if the guest is insistent, they can take the tip but have to turn it into their manager.
I have had housekeepers refuse my tip...have been told, by that housekeeper, that she isn't allowed to take a tip! I have had housekeepers leave tips on the counter...day after day. On the other hand, I've had the majority of housekeepers take the tips.

I figure those people who are currently, or in the past, CMs, probably have a good handle on what's appropriate and acceptable. That's where I get my information!
As far as CMs doing something 'special' for me...I'm not sure what that would be. I expect my room to be made up properly. I expect trash to be emptied and beds made, the bathroom area cleaned. That's the housekeepers job. Bus drivers? Some of my favorite people in WDW. But, I expect them to drive the bus safely, and to be friendly when a guest hops on board. That's their job. I'm not sure what a driver is going to do to make my ride more special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter