Tipping at Palo's?

3 things

Mouseketeer
At the risk of asking YET ANOTHER question on tipping... I don't know how to handle tipping at Palo's. What's the right thing to do up there? The cost is $10.00 per person. So, 15% of $20.00 is $3.00. We just returned from a 7-day cruise and ate at Palo's 3 times (1 brunch and 2 dinners). We couldn't imagine tipping the outstanding service with $3.00 - but were perplexed as to how much (and when/how) to tip. We ended up feeling the meal was worth at least $100-150 and that the service was definitely worth a 20% tip - so we just added $25.00 to the bill at the end of the meal.

Ok, experts... What's the right way to do this? Should we have taken a separate envelope to the server on Friday night? Should the tip be included at the time of the meal? And how much is appropriate?

My apologies if this is an old question, but I've been on the boards a few months and haven't seen this one. AND, I want to know what to do for our next cruise. Thanks!

:confused:

Unless your Palo server goes above and beyond, I don't think you need to worry about giving them any extra tip. After all, the $10 fee is to help cover their gratuity since they don't get tipped out of the main dining rooms.

We did what you did and estimated the meal at $100 or so (food only, more for drinks) and added additional $$ to make the entire amount worth about 20%.

I think the cost of Palo is spread evenly across the staff there and anything additional goes only to your server?

Originally posted by kennancat
Unless your Palo server goes above and beyond, I don't think you need to worry about giving them any extra tip. After all, the $10 fee is to help cover their gratuity since they don't get tipped out of the main dining rooms.

Only $5 of the $10 goes to the server. So if you figure your meal would cost $50 for one person that is only a 10% tip.

Our server went so far above and beyond any service we've ever experienced, I couldn't have walked out without showing my appreciation for such a memorable brunch AND dinner (same server!) without tipping extra. :) $5 or $10 is simply not enough for the caliber of food, atmosphere and service we got.

We did the same thing---figured out what the meal would normally have cost and gave 20% for their excellent service. Having been a waitress in college--there was no way in this world that I was not going to tip extra. When we went back for the Champagne Brunch--the server switched tables so she could have us again. We must have done something right. LOL!

DG

Only $5 of the $10 goes to the server. So if you figure your meal would cost $50 for one person that is only a 10% tip.

Good point. After posting last night, I asked my husband what we did at Palo for a tip. Turns out we also did the estimate of what the meal would have cost and tipped additional. I was probably so focused on my souffle that I completely forgot! :p

We definately tip the server at Palo...we don't consider the $10 fee for eating there the tip..never even thought of it that way.

Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar
Has anyone seen this in writing from Disney Cruise Line?

Back when Palo (not Palo's) was $5 per person, DCL clearly published that the money went to gratuities.

Now that it's $10 per person, what does DCL publish?

I actually emailed my server and asked her this...haven't heard back yet, but I'm sure they don't have alot of time to email! I'll pipe up when she does tho. ;)

For the brunch we usually leave an extra $20 for the two of us so for this outsanding meal we spend about $40.

Since the charge for Palo dinner was bumped up to $10/person, did they raise the brunch prices also? (to $15/person?)

We did the brunch and tipped $20.00. Our server was fantastic and deserved every penny!

Kim:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter