Timeframe for reserving your chairs @ the pool.

WillGan

Local to Hawai'i & Loyal to Aulani
After this staycation (which ends today), I figure to share my experiences as to what times you’d want to start reserving your chairs in “prime” locations around the resort. We have now stayed during all 4 of the breaks in Hawaii’s school (Summer/Fall-Oct./Winter/Spring) calendar and here are my observations:
Summer time is nuts! Light starts coming prior to 6am and if you want ANYTHING near the pools, you need to get yours at least by 630! Some may say I’m exaggerating but I’m not! If you have a big group you’re trying to account for, don’t risk it! The later you go, the farther from the pool you get (3rd row). There is one caveat that I rather not share because it’s my secret lol. We always go 4th of July window and this is the most packed of the packed! By 8-830, everything is reserved! The first to go is the chairs near the pool. Last is the playground area. I’m sure you can figure out why.
Fall, light is still up early but not as crazy as summer! 7am is a nice window for those “prime” spots. You could push it till 745ish, but again, most people are coming in on a different time zone, so they’re up since 5 easy! When in doubt, send someone out!
Winter, light begins to come up around 7 so it’s not as bad as summer but it is just as crowded so those spots that are in demand, you can’t risk anything! Also, during NYE, there are those who position themselves for the fireworks and stay there all day! Good luck to those who do but from what we experienced, the best view is the ones that are closest to the room elevators to beat the crowd back up!
Spring- light is up around 615-630am but again, those coveted areas require that sacrificial lamb. To each their own but by 800, those pool areas are usually full!
Each Ohana will have their own time window but as a local, we come here to enjoy the pools so we go early to be safe! Yes there is always those who will go earlier than anyone because looking for a seat for a family of 5 at 11am is horrendously cruel! There are those chair rules but guests (like myself) know how to work it. Just thank goodness there’s coffee and Wi-Fi to entertain us for those 2 hours of relaxing before that 8am window where we can leave and return back to our personal “chaos”.
*Today we came down at 645am to get a favorite spot and someone already locked it up! This is battle when it comes to your preferred seating areas! I hope this helps shed some light for those new guests incoming and look fwd. to everyone’s experiences once this posts! Mahalo!

After this staycation (which ends today), I figure to share my experiences as to what times you’d want to start reserving your chairs in “prime” locations around the resort. We have now stayed during all 4 of the breaks in Hawaii’s school (Summer/Fall-Oct./Winter/Spring) calendar and here are my observations:
Summer time is nuts! Light starts coming prior to 6am and if you want ANYTHING near the pools, you need to get yours at least by 630! Some may say I’m exaggerating but I’m not! If you have a big group you’re trying to account for, don’t risk it! The later you go, the farther from the pool you get (3rd row). There is one caveat that I rather not share because it’s my secret lol. We always go 4th of July window and this is the most packed of the packed! By 8-830, everything is reserved! The first to go is the chairs near the pool. Last is the playground area. I’m sure you can figure out why.
Fall, light is still up early but not as crazy as summer! 7am is a nice window for those “prime” spots. You could push it till 745ish, but again, most people are coming in on a different time zone, so they’re up since 5 easy! When in doubt, send someone out!
Winter, light begins to come up around 7 so it’s not as bad as summer but it is just as crowded so those spots that are in demand, you can’t risk anything! Also, during NYE, there are those who position themselves for the fireworks and stay there all day! Good luck to those who do but from what we experienced, the best view is the ones that are closest to the room elevators to beat the crowd back up!
Spring- light is up around 615-630am but again, those coveted areas require that sacrificial lamb. To each their own but by 800, those pool areas are usually full!
Each Ohana will have their own time window but as a local, we come here to enjoy the pools so we go early to be safe! Yes there is always those who will go earlier than anyone because looking for a seat for a family of 5 at 11am is horrendously cruel! There are those chair rules but guests (like myself) know how to work it. Just thank goodness there’s coffee and Wi-Fi to entertain us for those 2 hours of relaxing before that 8am window where we can leave and return back to our personal “chaos”.
*Today we came down at 645am to get a favorite spot and someone already locked it up! This is battle when it comes to your preferred seating areas! I hope this helps shed some light for those new guests incoming and look fwd. to everyone’s experiences once this posts! Mahalo!
Thanks for the detailed tips! We are going for our first trip in July. If we wanted to sit on the beach, are those chairs still pretty available during the morning hours? We are pool people but don’t have little kids or a need to necessarily camp out in that area. I’d read the beach chairs are less popular but am not sure I understand why that is.

LOL - I had the weirdest interaction with another guest last August.

I went outside at 6am as the sun was coming up. I had to jump on a conference call, so I had my laptop open, and earbuds in. I went to some lounge chairs in the middle of nowhere… at the stairs between the Waikolohe pool, and the Ka Maka Grotto. Definitely not what I would consider a prime location.

There was NO ONE anywhere. So I’m talking to my leadership team on the conference call, and mid sentence, some random guy stands in front of me and starts talking. I have to stop talking, tell everyone to hold for a second, and take my earbuds out. The guy says “I usually sit here”.

🥺

There were two of us, 400 empty chairs, and no one else milling around. Seriously?!

I picked up my laptop and drink, got back on my call, and moved a few rows away.

Amazing!

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed tips! We are going for our first trip in July. If we wanted to sit on the beach, are those chairs still pretty available during the morning hours? We are pool people but don’t have little kids or a need to necessarily camp out in that area. I’d read the beach chairs are less popular but am not sure I understand why that is.
When we were there the beach chairs were never more than 20% occupied, but pool areas filled!

Just an update, 8am majority of chairs reserved! Yikes!

Just out of curiosity how are they reserved?
People just put down towels and/or personal belongings. After a certain amount of time CM will pack up belongings and store them, so people do need to be actively using the chairs, but lots of people push that to the limit - returning for a little while on and off so they keep the seats.

I went outside at 6am as the sun was coming up. I had to jump on a conference call, so I had my laptop open, and earbuds in. I went to some lounge chairs in the middle of nowhere… at the stairs between the Waikolohe pool, and the Ka Maka Grotto. Definitely not what I would consider a prime location.

There was NO ONE anywhere. So I’m talking to my leadership team on the conference call, and mid sentence, some random guy stands in front of me and starts talking. I have to stop talking, tell everyone to hold for a second, and take my earbuds out. The guy says “I usually sit here”.

🥺

There were two of us, 400 empty chairs, and no one else milling around. Seriously?!

I picked up my laptop and drink, got back on my call, and moved a few rows away.

Amazing!
That’s hilarious. If I was just chillin‘ when the guy came up and commented I’d likely assume he was being facetious and crack a joke back to him. But to interrupt someone occupied on a call/laptop? I’d be confused 🤣

People just put down towels and/or personal belongings. After a certain amount of time CM will pack up belongings and store them, so people do need to be actively using the chairs, but lots of people push that to the limit - returning for a little while on and off so they keep the seats.
Ok just wondered if Aulani had a better system. It’s good that CMs are monitoring.

I know in many resorts people think a folded resort towel is enough to hold a chair indefinitely. They rush down at 7am, throw some towels down and don’t return for hours. I’ll take those chairs with no qualms whatsoever if everything else is occupied by actual people.

Just out of curiosity how are they reserved?
People need to be sitting in or at least there along with whatever other chairs they are reserving with either a towel, shirt, etc. after 8am, it is there’s for the hour without them being there, they are able to vacate the chairs with just belongings. Once 9am hits, there needs to be someone in the party within the hour or staff will remove all items.

🥺

Amazing!
I would have said "sorry buddy but today you'll have to sit somewhere else".

We were @ Aulani several years ago in August and I would go down early to grab us 3 chairs as our 17 yo son was with us on that trip. But I stayed with them I didn't just drop & run. Personally, we don't have small children and I prefer a more quiet location in the back row (but near the end with 1 umbrella & 1 small table to share). Hopefully it won't be too crazy the last week in April....

Last edited:

We were @ Aulani several years ago in August and I would go down early to grab us 3 chairs as our 17 yo son was with us on that trip. But I stayed with them I didn't just drop & run. Personally, we don't have small children and I prefer a more quiet location in the back row (but near the end with 1 umbrella & 1 small table to share). Hopefully it won't be too crazy the last week in April....
Love that each family has a favorite spot based on their age ranges! Good luck to those by the playground area! Those winds during the winter can be whipping! And of course….. all the screams 🤣

I was so focused on trying to remember my talking points for the meeting that I couldn’t really process any reaction. It was the 3rd or 4th day of vacation, so remembering anything for work was a major struggle!

Ok just wondered if Aulani had a better system. It’s good that CMs are monitoring.

I know in many resorts people think a folded resort towel is enough to hold a chair indefinitely. They rush down at 7am, throw some towels down and don’t return for hours. I’ll take those chairs with no qualms whatsoever if everything else is occupied by actual people.
Same! I have no qualms tossing towels and items aside if I want a chair and nobody is actually using it.

Still There is one caveat that I rather not share because it’s my secret lol. We always go 4th of July window and this is the most packed of the packed! By 8-830, everything is reserved!

you’re on a conference call at 6am, that is not a vacation
I had to take a few calls that week, and I spent a little while replying to emails, so I removed one day from my time off request to offset it.

I’m used to getting a little work done while on vacation, but these days, I make sure to not give those vacation hours to the company! 😄

We were there mid July 2022,,,I am from the east coast and normally an early riser here. So there a very early riser, but I still would not leave the room till 630am. I would wander down,,coffee in hand,,and laugh at some of them that had been there since 5am. Watching movies, some working on laptops,,,just for a few of what they considered prime seats. The ones by the grotto pool overlooking the beach, nice,, but not nice enough for me to park my but there for 3 plus hours.
The cast were very good, prior to 8 am if your not in or near your chairs, at removing all articles. There are signs posted everywhere, including close to where we would sit. And yet people would come down at 7am put their things down and go to breakfest. I would politely tell them they will have their stuff moved since it is before 8 am and the 1 hour doesnt apply, most did not believe me,,,until they came back and saw someone else sitting there. Some would verbally abuse them, I had no issue stepping in and saying the attendant has your things at the towel bar. And then cheers the new family that had no idea they took someones spot.
By the way,,,we did not want front row at the pool,,,I much prefer cover from the sun,,so under 2 different umbrellas 3 rows back,,,never an issue.
Last thing I would say,,,if all families just take a few chairs,,,a family of 4,,like us never took 4 chairs,,,90% of the time it would be just 2 chairs,,,with sometimes a 3rd. How often is your group of 7 all lounging on the chairs together,,,come on we all just want a place to set our things, some people lounge,,,but others that come by for a quick bite or drink, sit on the end of the lounger.

Never had a problem finding chairs in August. Hawaii was back to school, so that may have helped. We actually found we preferred the beach seating—so many fewer people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter