Tiffin Motorhomes RV Company Purchased By Thor For $300M

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Tiffin Motorhomes, which manufactures Class A and C rv's in Alabama, has been sold this month for $300M to Thor Industries.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/21/tho...-expansion-new-products-with-tiffin-deal.html

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/blog/tiffin-motorhomes-joins-the-thor-industries-family

Tiffin's models skew toward the high end. They were a privately owned, family (Tiffin) run business, and one son of the founder kicked for Alabama in the 1980s including a dramatic buzzer beater field goal over 50 yards to win the game over Auburn (I was there). And a generation later, HIS son was a kicker for one of Nick Saban's national championships at Alabama. The family will continue to run the business.

But they offer a plant tour at their Red Bay, AL facility (close to the MS state line) where the Class A's are made and I have wanted to do it for a while. (currently on hold due to covid). But I will get up there one day in 2021 to do it. I have done the plant tours for T@b (the little teardrop campers) and Airstream (both in Ohio) and found them very interesting.

The Thor conglomerate, though, continues to gobble up independent companies. Not long ago it was Jayco (my first popup was a Jayco) and now Tiffin.

I'll post pics and a report when I take the tour. I can dream of a high end Class A like their Phaeton but a drive-able rv like a Class A doesn't really appeal to me.

Bama Ed

Tiffin Motorhomes, which manufactures Class A and C rv's in Alabama, has been sold this month for $300M to Thor Industries.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/21/tho...-expansion-new-products-with-tiffin-deal.html

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/blog/tiffin-motorhomes-joins-the-thor-industries-family

Tiffin's models skew toward the high end. They were a privately owned, family (Tiffin) run business, and one son of the founder kicked for Alabama in the 1980s including a dramatic buzzer beater field goal over 50 yards to win the game over Auburn (I was there). And a generation later, HIS son was a kicker for one of Nick Saban's national championships at Alabama. The family will continue to run the business.

But they offer a plant tour at their Red Bay, AL facility (close to the MS state line) where the Class A's are made and I have wanted to do it for a while. (currently on hold due to covid). But I will get up there one day in 2021 to do it. I have done the plant tours for T@b (the little teardrop campers) and Airstream (both in Ohio) and found them very interesting.

The Thor conglomerate, though, continues to gobble up independent companies. Not long ago it was Jayco (my first popup was a Jayco) and now Tiffin.

I'll post pics and a report when I take the tour. I can dream of a high end Class A like their Phaeton but a drive-able rv like a Class A doesn't really appeal to me.

Bama Ed

Oh if you are going to dream big dream of their Zephyer line. They only make a few every year and they are the top top of the line.

Oh if you are going to dream big dream of their Zephyer line. They only make a few every year and they are the top top of the line.

Went to the website linked and checked it, Chris. Starting MSRP is $687,763. 💰 Can't. Even. Fathom.

Brother, can you spare a dime? :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

PS - can you image the first year depreciation on that thing? :crazy: (YES but you MAY be able to deduct it on your income taxes)

PPS - now a 3-BR condo on the beach at Gulf Shores, THAT I could fathom. In fact, I have mentioned a small 1-BR (not studio) beach condo at GS and she is not interested, drat!

If someone handed me a fancy Class A, you wouldn't hear me complain. Like you though, Ed, I don't want a driveable.

My pipe dream is a New Horizons 5er.

We could all pitch in and get it. Then rent a site at the fort. Change it every so often. Hymmmm.

We could all pitch in and get it. Then rent a site at the fort. Change it every so often. Hymmmm.

Back to back 30 day reservations and then sub-let for a week at a time to folks? Interesting business case, Spencer. :scratchin

Since by now everyone realizes that Alabama football runs through ALL the critical angles of one's life, here is THE KICK from the 1985 Iron Bowl by Van Tiffin (52 yards) to win the game. Our quarterback on that last drive was some guy named Mike Shula. And like I said, I was there in the Alabama student section.

Paul Kennedy and Doug (Dougy Dew) Layton have the call on the Alabama Radio Network. That was back when kickers on a field goal could use a tee (not permitted now).

Bama Ed

PS - and you will note that on the kick play the Auburn player on the top of the line/rush is offsides so had Van missed it, we might have gotten a do-over.

PPS - I had to schedule my wedding on a Bama road game weekend in September because I wanted the invitees to come. In the basement of the church before the ceremony started, me and my groomsmen were watching Vandy-AL in Nashville. So the Bama Angle does exist. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This popped into my news feed yesterday. I have mixed feelings. If we go the MH route next, an Allegro Red is on the top of the list. I have been in the Phaeton, Allegro Bus and Zephyr. They are all a little too over the top for me. I have a tiny bit of experience with Thor buying an RV company I had connections with. My prior 5er that we had for 13 years was a Crossroads Cruiser. Crossroads was a newer independent company when I bought my trailer. They didn't have much of an owner's presence online. They had an un-moderated forum with only occasional company input. I had a consulting company at the time that did web work for medical companies. Several of us on the Crossroads forum decided to have an unofficial owners rally. During the planning, I contacted the company in Indiana to discuss some form of corporate support. They were very green, but interested. I became the Rally Master for the 1st 2 official Crossroads RV Owners Rallies and worked with the marketing VP to arrange owners feedback sessions, factory tours and some owner/maintenance workshops. Shortly after the 2nd rally, Crossroads was bought by Thor. The Marketing VP said Thor wasn't interested in taking over daily management or making drastic changes since Crossroads was doing well. His words were they intended to be "hands off".

I stayed involved with the company for another couple of years before racing took up my time. During that time, Thor really was a silent owner. The only changes I saw as a result of Thor's ownership was the addition of an entry level line. Prior to this, Crossroads was only in the mid and higher line trailers. Thor provided enough capital to expand into the entry level market. I remember them referring to the new "Zinger" line as their first "stick and tin" models (wood frame and aluminum siding). Everything prior was aluminum framed and fiberglass/gelcoat walls.

Time will tell I guess.

j

I didn't see the Vanleigh 5th wheel line mentioned that Tiffin owns. Maybe they are gonna keep that and try to grow it?

Thor bought up Jayco several years back. I already had my first Jayco by then and outside of few minor issues I really liked it. I was concerned about Thor buying it up as I had heard some not so great things about Thor's class A's. However, it really doesnt feel like anything bad came of it. My latest Jayco seems quite well built with no serious issues to this point. I think Thor really kept a "hands off" approach with Jayco like Jim mentioned earlier.

Tiffin campers are likely not in my future. Too over the top for me, both in options and cost.

On the Tiffin website is a video of the founder, Bob Tiffin (78yo) and a Thor guy talking about the purchase.

One interesting thing the Thor guy mentions is that the location of the Tiffin business (down south) is a plus because there are labor shortages in and around Elkhart, IN where so much rv/trailer manufacturing is. So this purchase will not put more stress on that angle.

Here is the video:

I didn't see the Vanleigh 5th wheel line mentioned that Tiffin owns. Maybe they are gonna keep that and try to grow it?

Good question. I was not even aware that they made 5ers. There is a link to VanLeigh Fifth Wheel on top right of the Tiffin Motorhome website. But that means I can do three plant tours now: Class A, Class C, 5er. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

You are going to need a real nice vehicle to pull the Vanleigh 5ers. Their dry weight is 15000 lbs. 18500 lbs gross. I can dream. It all started with a mouse after all. But I need a special mouse.

You are going to need a real nice vehicle to pull the Vanleigh 5ers. Their dry weight is 15000 lbs. 18500 lbs gross. I can dream. It all started with a mouse after all. But I need a special mouse.

Those are still lightweight compared to some of the DRV trailers which empty are over 20000. I should be ok, let's see, yep leaves me with 61500 lbs left.

Those are still lightweight compared to some of the DRV trailers which empty are over 20000. I should be ok, let's see, yep leaves me with 61500 lbs left.

Probably need to add a tag axle to spread out the added axle weight though, @PaHunter 😄
big-truck.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter