Ticketmaster refund for postponed show

floridafam

DIS Veteran
I couldn’t search see if this topic had already been posted. I want to do the right thing.

I purchased tickets for a Foo Fighters concert using my credit card. When I purchased, Ticketmaster’s website said “refunds may be issued for cancelled or postponed shows.”

I can’t go on the rescheduled date. Am I within my rights to request a chargeback from my credit card company?

Wondering the same thing. We had tickets to see Billy Joel in May, that specific concert was rescheduled for November, on my nephew's wedding day, ugh.

In most cases no, I don’t think so. Even if the credit card company approves the chargeback, Ticketmaster may come after you for the unpaid money.

I read on these boards that Florida has a law which may protect consumers when the vent is rescheduled, but I do not know the details of that

I'm in the same boat. We were to see Jake Owen March 31 at Firekeepers. They (the site) just says the concert is postponed. And then my Visa bill came last week with the $800 I owe for Dierks Bentley tickets in July........really hoping that one is till on!!!! And I paid the bill.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/why...d-for-a-postponed-show-from-ticketmaster.html
KEY POINTS
Ticketmaster has faced backlash from consumers seeking refunds for postponed live events.
In order for Ticketmaster to issue refunds it needs to work with the event venues, but those venues are closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Around 90% of all impacted shows are in the process of being rescheduled; 10% have been canceled.
For the events that have have been canceled, refunds have been issued.
GP: friends at concert
Getty Images
There’s a reason you can’t get a refund from Ticketmaster for a postponed concert — the online ticket seller doesn’t have your money. The venue does.

“I think there’s a lot of misperception about Ticketmaster,” Joe Berchtold, the president of Live Nation, the company that owns Ticketmaster, said on CNBC’s “Squawk Alley” on Tuesday. “Ticketmaster doesn’t sell these tickets and sit on a mountain of cash. Ticketmaster sells tickets and gives the cash over to the venues where the events are held.”

Over the last week, Ticketmaster has faced backlash from consumers seeking refunds for postponed live events.

Berchtold explained that in order for Ticketmaster to issue refunds it needs to work with the event venues, but those venues are closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

“It’s a pretty big process to go through and the volume is so huge,” he said.

Berchtold said around 90% of all impacted shows are in the process of being rescheduled; 10% have been canceled. For the events that have been canceled, refunds have been issued.

But, he doesn’t expect performers or fans to be dissuaded from future concerts or shows.

“A year from now, 15 months from now, as we have the vaccine in place, we’re highly confident that concerts in 2021, 2022, will be bigger than ever,” he said. “The artists want to perform, the fans want to attend the shows. We’re very comfortable and confident that as we get through this, we’ll be able to get back to the normal of being able to go to the shows.”

Shares of Live Nation were up more than 4% midday Tuesday, but are down more than 40% since January.

Read all of CNBC’s coronavirus coverage here.

We have tickets to see Roger Waters in mid July. The concert has now been postponed until some time next year. His website just says to hold onto the tickets until further details are available.

I was supposed to see Six on Broadway on 5/2. I got an email that gave me the option of receiving a refund.

The policy was changed not too long ago due to virus - you used to be able to get refunds on postponed shows and of course, cancelled shows but now it’s only on cancelled shows. This is a huge problem right now.

We have tickets to see Roger Waters in mid July. The concert has now been postponed until some time next year. His website just says to hold onto the tickets until further details are available.

When I first got the email that our August show was canceled, there was no option for a refund, and like you said, Roger Waters' info was just to hold onto the tickets for whenever he rescheduled. However, I saw something on Reddit last week that the option for a refund was now available on Ticketmaster's website, so I requested one -- it said it could take about 30 days to process, though.

In most cases no, I don’t think so. Even if the credit card company approves the chargeback, Ticketmaster may come after you for the unpaid money.
The decision to refund is not the credit card company's to make usually. The credit card company may post a provisional credit to your account, but unless there is outright fraud involved that decision is made by the merchant.

We had a situation last year with the SAT prep company Kaplan where their instructor didn't show up for half the scheduled classes and they refused to refund a penny. We lost $700.

And with Ticketmaster, the decision is really made by the promoter as explained in the news article wvjules posted above.

I bought BTS tix for my child and friend. I'm not sure I feel comfortable going to such a large event anytime in the future. It is currently listed as rescheduled, but no dates have been announced as yet. I don't think it should be presumed that any rescheduled event is doable for a ticket holder, so I believe it should be refunded. However, as it seems I have no recourse at this time, I will wait to see how it all plays out.

I booked rather expensive tickets for a Minecraft event that my youngest wanted to attend. It is scheduled for June and so far nothing has been said about whether the event will be cancelled or rescheduled. Since I bought the tickets through Groupon, do you think I can just get the refund through them? I know in the past that I've purchased a groupon that I didn't use and it was credited to my Groupon account. Anyone else had to deal with this in the Covid situation?

We purchased 2 sets of Hamilton tickets at the fox theater in Atlanta as Christmas gifts for this weekend. Of course the show was postponed until August. The tickets were automatically rescheduled for a same day/time showing in August. They gave us like a week to accept the new date or request a refund or a date change.

We kept one set of tickets and got a refund for the other set. They made the process fairly easy.

We had a concert at the end of March that was obviously canceled, but we were never contacted. I knew about it because I saw it on twitter by the entertainer and another event in July that we haven't heard a word about.

We have tickets to Hamilton in August at the Kennedy Center. I really hope that I'm able to go. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't need a refund since there is really no reason for me not to be able to attend on an alternate date if it is a no-go in August.

The decision to refund is not the credit card company's to make usually. The credit card company may post a provisional credit to your account, but unless there is outright fraud involved that decision is made by the merchant.

We had a situation last year with the SAT prep company Kaplan where their instructor didn't show up for half the scheduled classes and they refused to refund a penny. We lost $700.

And with Ticketmaster, the decision is really made by the promoter as explained in the news article wvjules posted above.

Not really true. When I was a front office manager at a hotel, I used to manually charge credit cards for guests who no-showed a guaranteed reservation. They were often disputed. The process is that the person complains to the credit card company, the credit card company sends the complaint to us, the vendor. Then we have to send all documentation related to the charge back to the credit card company, and we wait for the disposition of the charge.

Not really true. When I was a front office manager at a hotel, I used to manually charge credit cards for guests who no-showed a guaranteed reservation. They were often disputed. The process is that the person complains to the credit card company, the credit card company sends the complaint to us, the vendor. Then we have to send all documentation related to the charge back to the credit card company, and we wait for the disposition of the charge.
If the CC approves the dispute and the hotel disagrees, you can absolutely refer that "debt" to collections. The CC company doesnt have final say over the debt itself. This is one reason a CC dispute is a bad first step.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter