Thrilled with DVC purchase

Llama mama

DIS Veteran
So I was just looking at price per night for our Thanksgiving and Spring Break trips. Prices have skyrocketed! So thankful we purchased DVC , BC is 650-710 per night !
Even All Star Movies is 229 a night !
Again with prices raising every year ,
so happy we purchased DVC when we did .

My parents bought their first (and largest) contract in the early ‘90s for an insanely low amount of money, like $53 per point. They were just saying the same thing, how glad they are that they bought in when they did and how much money they’ve saved over the years. Growing up as a DVC kid made me want to buy in too, and I’m so glad I did. I’ve saved a ton too.

Yes, just wait until you’ve owned as long as we have. If resort cash prices continue to rise as they have, even with MFs rising you should be in a great place. For accommodations, our family trip in December at BWV cost us about $4,000 in MFs for one night in one studio then 6 nights in two 2 BR. (For you guys who include the purchase price, add $1.39 pp or another $840.) Meals, well, that’s a different story!

Yeah the hotel prices are going nuts on property. That is the main thing that pushed me into DVC. Paid way to much for a stay at Pop Century.

I feel the same way! I remember buying back in the late 90's and seeing the prices of Dixie Landings (remember that resort?) go up year after year....that's when we said we should prob look at this DVC thing ;) - 20 plus years later we love it more than ever and just stayed at the Grand for our 25th anniversary (where the cash rate was like 700 bucks a night!)

I agree, bought 10 years ago and it has been paid for many times over. My family has grown, so my other expenses have gone up. Grateful that everyone still wants to go, now that everyone is a teenager or older. Looking forward to adult trips and hopefully an occasional adult/young adult trip in a few years.

back in the 90's and early 00's....I used to justify not buying DVC because we always were able to buy Wilderness Lodge rooms for under $200 a night. AP discounts and other promos.

But around 2010, $200 becomes $225, becomes $275, then $350, now almost $500 a night.

Even in the 4 short years we have had DVC the pricing continues to rise at a rate I can't believe people still pay for cash rooms. I estimate our 34 nights in 1br and 2br over the last year has paid for itself in what it cost us for the contract. Dues don't bother me.

The #1 thing many dvc people say is "I wish I would have bought sooner"

back in the 90's and early 00's....I used to justify not buying DVC because we always were able to buy Wilderness Lodge rooms for under $200 a night. AP discounts and other promos.

But around 2010, $200 becomes $225, becomes $275, then $350, now almost $500 a night.

Even in the 4 short years we have had DVC the pricing continues to rise at a rate I can't believe people still pay for cash rooms. I estimate our 34 nights in 1br and 2br over the last year has paid for itself in what it cost us for the contract. Dues don't bother me.

The #1 thing many dvc people say is "I wish I would have bought sooner"

That's why I never purchased previously. I could always get value rooms for the price of yearly dues. Not anymore. Now, I can actually buy OT UY points and stay deluxe cheaper than an All Star resort.

Last edited:
I bought in 2013-2014 and at the time was furious with myself for not buying in sooner. Now I'm extremely smug about buying in as early as I did!

My BIL was just saying that the only way he can keep Disney trips around $3000 is by shortening them 2 days and purchasing 5D tickets instead of 7D.

My BIL was just saying that the only way he can keep Disney trips around $3000 is by shortening them 2 days and purchasing 5D tickets instead of 7D.
I know it's getting more expensive every year, but a 7D pass is probably only about $50-$60 more expensive than a 5D!!!

We have always been very happy with our decision to buy at the original "Vacation Club" (now OKW) back in the 90s. Remember those park passes we got with each stay, through 1999? LOVED those passes! I can also remember All Star and Pop rooms being available at times for < $100 per night a few years back. Those days are gone, too. It can be a real financial challenge to stay on-site if you pay cash for rooms, passes, and food. Not sure how some families do it sometimes. With DVC, we've rarely had to worry about the cost of the rooms - we've even been able to provide rooms for family and friends, which has led to some awesome memories. We've been very happy with it.

My parent's bought in '08 and when I was graduating college it was something I looked into. When I bought three years later in '17 I was kicking myself for not buying sooner. 1 direct and 1 resale contract later, I still find myself looking at points. Probably because of point gate but 🤷‍♀️

We bought in '08 and started using in '09. Really wondered if it was saving us anything until a few years ago when we gave DH's brother a 5N vacation at Bay Lake in return for driving us to the Manhattan port for a Disney cruise. When my BIL told Dan he'd pay him some $ for the vacation I nixed it but it 'made us look' and WOW are we saving $$$$. Today more than ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter