Thousand flock to Florida Beaches

The other thing that a LOT of you from elsewhere don't understand is the shear MAGNITUDE :scared1: of this limited opening of beaches.

These are 3 contiguous beaches in Jacksonville. They comprise 10 miles of Florida's 1,350 miles of coastline, and they are open only a few hours at a time.

"Breathe in, breath out."

If Florida opened the beaches, then people are allowed to go. The people aren't doing anything wrong if they social distance, end of story.

If your city/state says wear a mask to the store, then wear the mask. But if they don't require the mask while you are out walking, running, biking then don't try and guilt people who aren't wearing the mask while doing those activities.

I feel the rest of Illinois should be allowed to start reopening. Just because we here in Chicago are still having a higher number of cases (though we are doing okay), the rest of the state shouldn't have to suffer.

I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on people who live in another state only doing what they've been told they are allowed to do.

I am talking about people flocking to beaches, not every stretch of beach available to walk on. I don't think it's socially responsible to go to a beach where there are a lot of other people.

And part of why I feel this way is because some people DON'T have a lot of options. If a beach is the only option for someone, should a family with a yard and a neighborhood with sidewalks be there making it more crowded for the people with limited options? A lot of people don't have large living spaces or outdoor spaces, but a lot do. If you told me that everyone at that beach lived in apartment and it was the only access to the outdoors they have, I'd feel less strongly about it, but I still wouldn't be there myself.
I'm talking about your blanket statement below:

People shouldn't be leaving their houses unless they NEED to. Going to a beach is not a need.

It's the side effect if you will when people, and I mean people in general, make comments such as this is a need but this is not a need as we can come up with other reasons why this isn't a need. You do not need to go walking around your neighborhood if we use blanket statements. You have other means of getting fresh air or exercise but for you personally it ends up causing you anxiety or you are choosing not to utilize it. I don't blame you. If I couldn't walk around my neighborhood and look at the trees and what is now green grass or even walk in my backyard I'd feel quite boxed in.

Looking at the videos I saw there were a lot of condos on the particular beach they were interviewing people at. I haven't made the case that everyone at the beach is there because they live on the beach. I am making the case that there are at least a decent amount of opportunities for that to be the case, especially given where they live.

It's really difficult to see but this is from a video that another poster pasted in on another thread:

That was the Jacksonville beach; that's in part what I was talking about and that's just one still of the video. The drone video a PP posted also gave a glance at what is also there on the beach. Those condos will have homeowners in them; I don't know how many but there will be some and they are right on the beach.

I do admit I think there is a difference between going somewhere no one else is and going somewhere a lot of people are, when it comes to need. I guess, to me, it should be common sense that if a lot of people are there, it should be a deterrent for you also being there. When I saw the live cam of the beach just now, that counts as a lot of people to me. I get not everyone agrees, but I've long felt that the various interpretations of everything is what is going to keep us all doing this for longer than we should have to.

Yes, because you shouldn't have to be told to do something that will be better for everyone to do it.
It wasn't that long ago that we were told not to wear masks if we were healthy. It wasn't that long ago when passengers on a plane that landed at my airport felt anxious that a passenger was wearing a mask (who by the way was not ill, had no symptoms but was looking at protecting herself) and so they contacted the FAs who then contacted the police who then detained the woman as she got off the plane who asked questions and when nothing was awry let her go.

So at least on the mask front we need to remember the realities of the not so distant past which admittedly it's crazy to think how much time has and yet hasn't passed when it comes to this whole thing.

It wasn't that long ago that we were told not to wear masks if we were healthy. It wasn't that long ago when passengers on a plane that landed at my airport felt anxious that a passenger was wearing a mask (who by the way was not ill, had no symptoms but was looking at protecting herself) and so they contacted the FAs who then contacted the police who then detained the woman as she got off the plane who asked questions and when nothing was awry let her go.

So at least on the mask front we need to remember the realities of the not so distant past which admittedly it's crazy to think how much time has and yet hasn't passed when it comes to this whole thing.

True! But now, with lots of states requiring it, it seems almost like making a point to NOT do it if you say "how do you feel if I don't wear a mask?" I don't know? Are you not wearing a mask simply because no one has directly asked you to, or because you don't believe it is helpful, or you don't have access to one, or because you don't take any of this seriously enough to participate? Lots of variables. So the general thought is, if you see a lot of people are wearing one, and you don't because you don't want to, people are probably going to wonder why you're not.

I do admit I think there is a difference between going somewhere no one else is and going somewhere a lot of people are, when it comes to need. I guess, to me, it should be common sense that if a lot of people are there, it should be a deterrent for you also being there. When I saw the live cam of the beach just now, that counts as a lot of people to me. I get not everyone agrees, but I've long felt that the various interpretations of everything is what is going to keep us all doing this for longer than we should have to.

It really doesn’t matter how many people are there. As long as each quarantine group social distances there is no problem. You do realize most neighborhoods have 3 feet wide sidewalks and front yards much narrower than a wide open beach. Most trails are no where near as wide as a beach. This actually may be more safe mentally and physically for many people.

They're not out to cause panic. They are out to cause CLICKS.

Clicks are money, and the media (of all persuasions) cares only about two things: money, and conforming to their owner's political bias.

Facts, confirmation of the junk they publish, perspective, and integrity went out the window long, long ago.
Since way before any of us were born. At least now people can easily investigate claims for themselves.

I wish there were a news outlet named

No Agenda News - Contributors with very little at stake

At least now people can easily investigate claims for themselves.
Yeah, but what most of us do is pick the information which supports our point of view. You can find a news story, opinion piece, or blog to support anything you believe about anything.

And instead of actually thinking, most of us just go, "Yay, I was RIGHT!"

I wish there were a news outlet named

No Agenda News - Contributors with very little at stake
There are actually some decent sites, but I prefer to read a variety and then puzzle it out myself.

There are so many beach photos floating around. This one supposedly 5:26 on Fri the 17th. Some social distancing, other clusters of people not.
F732E262-6DF2-4A3B-93CF-D77D2A33D73C.jpeg

There are so many beach photos floating around. This one supposedly 5:26 on Fri the 17th. Some social distancing, other clusters of people not.
View attachment 489322
But, are those who aren't social distancing members of the same household? Also don't forget that in an image, it's difficult to tell depth (sometimes in person too). So where people look too close here, they may not actually be.

True! But now, with lots of states requiring it, it seems almost like making a point to NOT do it if you say "how do you feel if I don't wear a mask?" I don't know? Are you not wearing a mask simply because no one has directly asked you to, or because you don't believe it is helpful, or you don't have access to one, or because you don't take any of this seriously enough to participate? Lots of variables. So the general thought is, if you see a lot of people are wearing one, and you don't because you don't want to, people are probably going to wonder why you're not.
To answer your question... in MY area I don't think it is necessary. I maintain my distance from people and, while I have yet to sneeze or cough in public, I would do so into my arm (and directly toward the ground).

Yes. Then stay home!!! You will be safe. You have a right to stay home, just like people have a right to go outdoors and assemble -YES read the First Amendment to the United States Constitution - it doesn't read "the right to assemble only when Mayors and Governors say it is ok!!"
Freedom of assembly is the individual right to peacefully assemble, collectively express, and petition the government for redress of grievances guaranteed by the First Amendment to the US Constitution. Freedom of assembly is often used interchangeably with the freedom of association. In general, freedom of assembly is a First Amendment right guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution. First Amendment right provides that congress shall make no law abridging the right of people peaceably to assemble. However, freedom of assembly can be limited by a local legislative authority through the legitimate use of its police powers. Examples of laws which limit freedom of assembly are found in various riot acts, unlawful assembly laws, and ordinances prohibiting the blocking of sidewalks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter