Thoughts on First Trip to Aulani July 2022

cynthialou27

Earning My Ears
My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Aulani (and first trip to Hawaii in general). These boards were a huge help to me while planning our trip so I wanted to share some thoughts about how it went.

First and foremost, it was completely MAGICAL! We stayed for 9 nights in an ocean view studio (rented points from David's DVC), just the two of us. We were in room 1156 and I nearly cried when walking in...it was perfect. The view was everything you dream about, everything you see in the ads. Our room was right above the Olelo Room, so every night we got to listen to the lovely music below. I think my favorite part of the entire trip was sitting on that balcony, listening to the music and watching the sunset. It was pure Hawaiian magic. We debated hard on whether to splurge on an ocean view and let me tell you IT WAS WORTH IT! I would add a photo but I'm a newbie to posting and can't figure out how lol.

Since we were traveling during the busy summer season, we were mentally prepared for crowds and lines. We're experienced Disneyland goers and used to navigating busy destinations. I had read plenty of horror stories about the pool chairs, wristband lines, etc, so we were ready. Turns out... didn't need to worry about it! Yes, the pool chairs do fill up quickly, but as a party of 2 it wasn't an issue for us. We almost always left our items in the cubbies by the lazy river and that worked great. If we wanted to lounge in chairs, we would always find some somewhere. We never felt crowded and almost never had to wait in a line (beyond two or three people) for anything. We were also pleasantly surprised at how friendly and polite all the other guests were, including kids. Everyone just seemed happy to be there (which how can you not be?).

The food was all amazing! I was definitely bummed about Ama Ama still being closed, but we made up for it by walking next door to Four Seasons and enjoying their fine dining. We had dinner at Makahiki one night and my expectations were blown away. I'm not a fan of pre-fix menus and always slightly wary of Disney food, but this place was amazing. I will be dreaming of the brownie here for the rest of my life. Also, the customer service here was next level. They made us feel so special and like a part of the family. Although I can probably extend that to the customer service across the resort. Every cast member was fantastic!

We also rented a car to explore other parts of the island. We spent one day out in Waikiki, and although we loved the bar we went to (House Without a Key at the Halekulani...amazing), I think we are definitely not fans of the vibe over there. Reading online there seems to be two camps of Waikiki lovers or haters, so I guess we're the haters lol. It felt like a tropical Las Vegas strip, minus the gambling. Just too busy and full of traffic. Give me the serenity of Aulani/Ko'Olina any day. However the windward side of Oahu is definitely worth the drive. Just WOW. We did the Jurassic tour at Kualoa Ranch and took a boat out to the Kaneohe sandbar. Jaw droppingly beautiful! We could not get over the view of those green hills against the blue water. Side note, we ate breakfast at a little brunch spot over there called "Over Easy" and I had the best breakfast sandwich of my life. Honestly it was my favorite thing that I ate the entire trip.

I have literally only one negative complaint about the trip and it is about not receiving a lei upon check in. I know it is such a small thing, but it seems so iconic to Hawaiian hospitality. I really really was hoping they would bring it back!!! I know you can buy one yourself at a store or whatever, but that's not the point. So that was a disappointment.

That being said, our trip was truly wonderful. I had some trepidation based on things I'd read on the boards, but we honestly had the time of our lives. Aulani feels so special and so unique. I'm already desperate to go back! Thank you to everyone who posted trip reports and other advice because it was a huge help. Now to figure out what to do with myself without a trip to plan...

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Glad you had a great time. We’re flying back to visit family in a month, and we’ll be at Aulani for a week - can’t wait to hit the beach!

I’m sorry you missed out on the lei greeting. Even though it’s no longer a big deal for me (dozens, if not hundreds of leis later), I still think it’s a really important and unique part of a trip. Hopefully you’ll get to go again soon, and leis should be returning.

Unfortunately, the lei was probably out of Aulani’s control to a degree. There is an industry wide problem with the supply of leis. Many tour groups have temporarily removed them from their benefits, since supply has become inconsistent and expensive.

Sounds like it’s a good time to start planning your next visit!👍

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am so glad to hear of all the positives. My first Aulani visit was in 2019 and I decided I want to take my adult children to experience Aulani, so I started thinking/planning/saving for this upcoming trip almost 3 years ago...lol. Never too early :)

Unfortunately, the lei was probably out of Aulani’s control to a degree. There is an industry wide problem with the supply of leis. Many tour groups have temporarily removed them from their benefits, since supply has become inconsistent and expensive.
Or they do what the Marriott on Maui did and give out nice, never-wilt kukui-nut leis and glasses of cold POG juice at checkin….Just sayin 🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter