Those who get incredible FLIGHT deals..please share secrets...

Start you rsearch for the number of people in your party. For example, we almost always fly with 4 people. If I can't find a decent airfare for all 4 of us, I do a search for 3, then 2, then 1. Most websites are set up so that if you ask for 4 tickets and there are 3 available seats at a lower price, that price will not come up in the search. If a great rate shows up for just one person, I book an adult with that rate. If it's for 2, then I book one adult and one of the kids. This way, even if the reservations get changed (flight gets cancelled and passengers get rebooked on different flights), the kid are travelling with at least one adult.

Another trick, travel at off-peak times. This may mean catching a redeye flight into Orlando the night before or an early-morning flight out of MCO the day after your stay ends. Sometimes I've found it cheaper to book the inconvenient flight times and then stay in an inexpensive hotel for the night, than it is to fly in/out on the beginning/end of my resort stay.

Travel off-peak days. For MCO, Fri., Sat. and Sun. are the busiest days. Lots of cruise ships departing on Sat. & Sun. plus many people begin and end their vacations on those days. So competition for the "best" flights and fares for those days will be greater than trying to find a decent flight on a Tuesday morning.

Lastly, use frequent flier miles, even if it's for just one or two tickets. Paying $200 for two tickets and getting two FF tickets is like getting 4 RTs for $100 apiece. It softens the blow to your wallet considerably.

I figured out how to keep it active [my norton antivirus was messing it up] so maybe I'll get a $39! That would be awesome!

Trish

Like others said, check often for the best rates, and don't limit yourself to one carrier. Dh is a fanatic about getting cheap fares. He keeps an eye on the prices for the major discount sites (travelocity and priceline, mostly). Once a really low rate comes up, he goes directly to the airline website b/c they will usually beat the travel site rates. Also, make sure to check for codes for the airlines, both on their individual websites and on travel sites like mousesavers. If you live near a few major cities, check the rates for all of them, because one may be significantly less. Using this method, Dh got tickets for six from NY to Orlando for $125 each.

TnTWalter said:
200 pp is not good enough for me unfortunately. I received $165 TOTAL pp last time. I'm trying to get closer to the $100 RT deal that nicdanh received.

I guess I'll just hope to get DING'd with a good rate.

Trish

You might not get as good a fare as you are used to.

I have always been able to get a fare of less than $100 pp for our flights using SWA to Orlando during Aug-Sept. This year I haven't seen the flight come below $189 pp for the dates I'm going. Currently they are around $211. I ended up booking on Delta for $117.20pp when it came up a few weeks ago (hasn't been that good since).

I agree that you just have to check every day at all your alternative and find a price that won't break your budget and go for it. I don't think you'll find the "cheap" fares without a lot of pixie dust!

Southwest typically releases 5 months, so probably in July sometime. Be sure to download Ding so you can keep an eye on them!!

When oh when will SW come to Minneapolis/St. Paul? I am lost in a sea of airfares that are ranging from 268-400pp :furious: for my January trip...yikers man!

princessjv said:
When oh when will SW come to Minneapolis/St. Paul? I am lost in a sea of airfares that are ranging from 268-400pp :furious: for my January trip...yikers man!

Yep, I'm in MSP too. And airfare is ludicrous from this city. Even having Airtran available hasn't helped. We are paying over $300 a person for October. We could have gone cheaper, but I'm not spending four hours in Atlanta to save $30 a ticket......

Another good site to try for comparison is

itasoftware.com

It is a website created to include all possible flight arrangements,
and can be viewed weekly or monthly for best rates.
It does require a login, but it is the one I always check first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter