This year is lookin good..Get it? Because it's 2020?- Another international Disney PTR

So awesome that you'll be going to China! I'm sorry you won't be able to go for your birthday though!
I talked to some people who have been at that time and it will definitely be hot but I don't think typhoons will be as big of a deal (hopefully!) So I'm still excited.

YAHOO for ABD!

I will say the water park made us a bit tired when we went but nothing crazy. We were able to head to AK at night and we had two young kids with us, so that wasn't bad. I think if you keep it to 4-5 hours and take it easy its no worse then spending a hot morning in the parks! but thats just me!

Hooray for China!!! That's awesome. A bit of a bummer that you can't get the exact dates you'd prefer, but I guess China in the summer is better than nothing. I'm sure you'll have a blast, no matter when you guys can go.

YAHOO for ABD!

I will say the water park made us a bit tired when we went but nothing crazy. We were able to head to AK at night and we had two young kids with us, so that wasn't bad. I think if you keep it to 4-5 hours and take it easy its no worse then spending a hot morning in the parks! but thats just me!
Okay good to know about the water park!

Hooray for China!!! That's awesome. A bit of a bummer that you can't get the exact dates you'd prefer, but I guess China in the summer is better than nothing. I'm sure you'll have a blast, no matter when you guys can go.
Yeah we're excited! We're actually currently still comparing the ABD to a different (read: cheaper) travel company so the ABD isn't 100% yet, but at least we're going to China! And the Disney parks there!

All caught up! I hope you had a great trip to DLR!

I think doing a water park before VAH is a great idea. Honestly waiting around all day for VAH gets a little boring so I think its a great idea to head to a water park!

And HOW exciting about China! That would be AMAZING to be in Shanghai on your bday like whatttttt!

I hope you had a great trip to DLR!
It was amazing! Yours looked pretty fantastic, too.

Honestly waiting around all day for VAH gets a little boring so I think its a great idea to head to a water park!
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking

And HOW exciting about China! That would be AMAZING to be in Shanghai on your bday like whatttttt!
We're pumped! Jon found out that he can't take that much time off in October so we'll be going in August/September like originally planned. It will be pretty hot but I think we can make the most of it.

Okay friends big decisions were made this weekend.

China ABD
After much research and discussion, we officially decided to do the China ABD in late August. We looked to see if a different trip would be better for us, either through a different tour company or just doing all 4 Asian Disney parks and not doing any sightseeing. But finally we landed back on ABD and I sent in the request to book last night!

We decided ABD was worth the price on this one for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's logistically laid out to accommodate time in both Hong Kong & Shanghai Disneyland. Even though the tour only includes half a day in each, it's easy to come in early and stay a little late to explore on your own (which is what we'll do). Not many other tours are laid out like that. Another reason is that the ABD fits so much into the tour and you get outside of the big cities for a little bit. Jon is not super fond of big cities and likes to have breaks for nature when we travel, so the panda visit and river boat ride will be a good way to do that. Other tours that worked for our schedule were all city-focused.

We also realized that if we're going to go all out on a trip like this, 2020 is a good year for us to do it. We don't have kids and don't plan on having kids for a few more years (if at all), we have good savings built up, we budget enough so that we can still contribute to retirement and whatnot, and we don't have any other financial commitments or goals for the year. The next time a year like that comes around we'll probably be retired. So we're gonna go for it.

It will also be nice to have a stress free time in China. I'm fine with booking stuff on our own and doing our own thing like we did in France, but in France I knew (some of) the language, Europe was at least somewhat familiar, and (politically) France was a little safer. So much is unknown in China that it will be good to have someone else taking care of the logistics and making sure we get to where we need to be.

SO since it's such a pricey trip I've been looking for ways to save. One big way is that we have enough points saved up to fly business class one way to Hong Kong for free! We don't usually fly anything other than economy (except we splurged for economy plus to Hawaii), but with how busy this trip is and how weird the time change will be, it will be nice to get some real sleep on the flight over.

I've also been glued to the Disney discount gift card thread. Since the bulk of our expense will be through ABD we can use gift cards on most of it. Yesterday I got a deal for 6% of Disney gift cards, plus with my credit card I earned an extra 1% (on top of the 1.5% I get back across the board), so I told Jon we haven't even officially booked the trip yet and I've saved us like $2K.

May WDW
Our Beach Club waitlist came through! I was honestly so surprised. I was getting used to the idea of staying at Boardwalk because as I've been stalking reservations and nothing has shown up except random single nights here and there. We're pumped to get to try out BCV and I think we'll have such a good time there. We're still working on finalizing plans for that trip but we have time. Our FP day isn't until March 3.

Feb DCL
Our pre-booking window opened last weekend and I was online promptly at midnight (why does DCL open at midnight???) to make our selections. There was plenty available for us, so I got a Palo brunch reservation on the first full day, which is a day at sea. I also got our Marvel Heroic Encounter booked for the Marvel Day at Sea. We're still not sure about booking any spa treatments, especially now that we know how much we'll need to save for the ABD, but even without them we'll have such a great time on the cruise.

Now that I for sure know that China is our big trip for 2020, I can start my usual routine of submersing myself in all things Chinese! I already started trying to pick some of the language up on Duolingo and let me tell you, it's tricky. I think I'll have an easier time speaking/hearing it than understanding the characters.

I also love to read and leading up to our big trip I only read things that take place in that location, are about that location, or are written by people from that location. So if anyone has any suggestions for China in that regard, please let me know!

Reactions: DLo
we landed back on ABD and I sent in the request to book last night!
Congrats!
the panda visit and river boat ride will be a good way to do that.
Those both sound wonderful!
The next time a year like that comes around we'll probably be retired.
:rolleyes1
So much is unknown in China that it will be good to have someone else taking care of the logistics and making sure we get to where we need to be.
Yeah... I didn't want to say anything, but the situation in Hong Kong certainly gives me pause to do anything on my own there any time soon.
One big way is that we have enough points saved up to fly business class one way to Hong Kong for free!
Nice!
so I told Jon we haven't even officially booked the trip yet and I've saved us like $2K.
:laughing: Disney math.
Our Beach Club waitlist came through!
Glad to hear that worked out. :)
I already started trying to pick some of the language up on Duolingo
Impressive!

Those both sound wonderful!
We're so excited!

but the situation in Hong Kong certainly gives me pause to do anything on my own there any time soon.
Yeah, hopefully things get sorted out soon. The results of the votes recently are promising, as long as the government stands behind them!

Impressive!
It's so hard. I can't even explain how hard it is. I thought French was tough but at least I recognized the letters. Learning Chinese is like learning to read all over again and my brain can't handle it.

Still getting thru your ABD Trip Report, but hopped over to here quickly!

It looks like we will be cruising around the same time, but I'm on Fantasy from PC, so don't think we'll be able to run into each other!

Yay for convincing Jon about China! That itinerary does look like a dream for me! Definitely add on at least 1 day in each Shanghai and HK before and after the ABD!

It looks like we will be cruising around the same time, but I'm on Fantasy from PC, so don't think we'll be able to run into each other!
I'm going to be sooo ready to leave winter behind us for a few days. Usually by that time of year I am itching to get away, but we've never been able to!

Did you decide on your excursions? I honestly haven't looked at many options for us yet.

Definitely add on at least 1 day in each Shanghai and HK before and after the ABD!
For sure! Right now the plan includes 2 extra days so we should have a total of 2.5 days in each park. I know that seems like a lot for Hong Kong but we'll be there on a weekend in late August so it could actually be pretty crowded.

Did you decide on your excursions? I honestly haven't looked at many options for us yet.
I think I'm going to do the cultural Cozumel, then catamaran snorkling, then the caves? I have until Saturday to decide for pre-booking!
For sure! Right now the plan includes 2 extra days so we should have a total of 2.5 days in each park. I know that seems like a lot for Hong Kong but we'll be there on a weekend in late August so it could actually be pretty crowded.
I think it'll work out well for you. Plus you'll have the new castle to explore! Bring your bathing suits and you can have some relaxation too!

It's so hard. I can't even explain how hard it is. I thought French was tough but at least I recognized the letters. Learning Chinese is like learning to read all over again and my brain can't handle it.
:hug: I wouldn't even know where to start...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts