This week's podcast 11/19

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
Just a couple of thoughts when discussing the subject of the marching band parade choosing not to march for the high school band on main st. because of their restrictions. Panda was also talking about when he grew up and his high school in ny had similar names.

It's not about the name (and saying the word "Indian" is not a bad word btw), it's about how it is portrayed and respected. If you are stereotyping a people through song, dance, dress/garb, march, and use characterizations that do not represent properly a people's (or a tribe's) traditions and inappropriately showcase a group of people that is racist and wrong.
Tradition is a beautiful thing but when you are stereotyping that is where the line crosses. You are then perpetuating wrong information , educating the public who is watching you in a wrong way and allowing for the next generation to be schooled on bias and disrespect.

Also, Ryno you couldn't think of any other group or people who were subject to characterizations. I would like to add that Jewish people have been for centuries, which how pogroms and genocides seep into a society. It is one method, or trope, as a tool to have a society or culture rally behind hate and scare tactics towards racism and bigotry. division. Gay and black people also have been subject to these types of depictions which is why representation in a positive, truthful manner are so important.

So it's not about covering up a name (Julie suggested they do so as an option), it's about asking: is this a stereotype, is this disrespectful and why, is this a truthful depiction of a tradition of our people, are you truly honoring accurately the group you are representing?
I would love to hear your opinions too.

I thought the key in the discussion was Disney should be screening them before they even get there. The kids typically fundraise for these trips (even just a day trip) and if Disney had declined, they could have done something else with their money.
Also the students likely had zero choice in the school name, mascot, uniform, etc yet dealt with the consequences.

So yeah, I understand and support Disney wanting to be sensitive, but the whole thing really should have been avoided entirely.

I also disagree about regular guests not being that interested in seeing these groups. Several years ago we were at Disneyland and there was a special dance parade, zillions of adorable little girls (and a few boys) doing a coordinated parade at Christmas time. It was either right before or right after the regular Christmas parade.

I don’t have kids and thought it was adorable and fit right into the Disney magic. And it was clear it absolutely meant the world to the kids.

Last edited:

it's a broad topic and I agree with the notion that Disney should probably just play it safe with team names/mascots etc that are invited. They can't be held responsible for everything in the world.

like, I'm half(ish) Irish, I don't care one bit about the Fighting Irish, I actually think you'd upset a lot of Irish people if you "made" them change the team. But if I were Disney.......I'd just invite somebody else

it's a broad topic and I agree with the notion that Disney should probably just play it safe with team names/mascots etc that are invited. They can't be held responsible for everything in the world.

like, I'm half(ish) Irish, I don't care one bit about the Fighting Irish, I actually think you'd upset a lot of Irish people if you "made" them change the team. But if I were Disney.......I'd just invite somebody else
hard comparison. it's more then just a name with this group, there were issues last year with movements and cheers that were not in line or in step with disney's philosophy of inclusivity.
but to try to compare: if the band was fighting irish and then went down the main st parade pretending to be drunk in a fun way, and they aren't even an irish school, no kids/students are irish, that would be offensive i would imagine to everyone.
the year before this group (if i am mistaken please correct me) was offensive in a similar way to the indian people. i am going on the assumption this is not a school with an indian student population. mimicking stereotypes of a different people that isn't even their own.
so you can't just slap on a covering over their name as Julie recommended, it's much more then that, it's their representation of a group of minorities. And what is that teaching us anyway as a people, just hide your bigotry, who you are for ten minutes and pretend you're not something that you are? we are all above that i hope.

I could explain why that is but I am. So. Tired.

I think people need to take responsibility to learn.

I always knew Disney’s version of Pocahontas was “not accurate.” I only recently learned of the detailed allegations in conflicting historical accounts that are frankly terrible.

Initially I said more, but really, we all just need to keep doing better and learning more.

Last edited:

I think people need to take responsibility to learn.

I always knew Disney’s version of Pocahontas was “not accurate.” I only recently learned of the detailed allegations in conflicting historical accounts that are frankly terrible.

Initially I said more, but really, we all just need to keep doing better and learning more.
I agree, that's why i extended the conversation to this forum. to hear people out and their opinions. the podcast hosts seemed to not readily know how to respond. one said to hide their name and symbols while marching, but that's not a teachable moment. one said his school decades ago had the same name, but that's not a proper response for a variety of reasons but I understand he is trying to relate to the topic with what he knows. And someone else couldn't think of any other group of minorities that also had caricatures being offensive to them.
It seemed like a great forum to open the topic to the listeners and watchers of the show here to discuss.

I just listened and actually thought they did a pretty good job. They all presented that schools should know better and do better now, that their experience in high school was what it was but we have learned (and that Disney should have caught this earlier).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter