This is my training journal. I'm bad at titles. (Comments welcome!)

Did we just become best friends?

Many moons ago when I was finishing my undergrad, I was hired as a student intern by NASA. They actually played us that video during orientation. That was my first exposure to the Vlog brothers, and I've been a big fan ever since!

At 7:30 AM, it's 73 with a dew point of 51. We're a bit ahead of schedule on the hour by hour forecast on temperature, but the dew point is forecast to continue dropping. The race starts at 9:00.

Anacostia Parkrun 5k

T/D: 72/50 = 122. If my Garmin was accurate at the starting line, anyway. It's currently 72/47 one hour later, so it's probably pretty good. We also had a very pleasant and cool 20mph wind. Despite the Sun, this was about as good as it gets for a race in June.

Previous PR: 25:26 April 16, 2022
Goal: Sub-25:00

Pre-Race: I jogged an easy jog with strides the approximate 20 minute, 1.6 mile route from home to the starting line. It's a very pleasant morning; although a bit warm, we can't ask for much more on a mid-June morning. I chatted with a couple people, including one runner who was "running for fun and figured he would do it in 18 minutes." Good Lord, people are fast. A couple friends also met me. They're beginner runners but progressing quickly.

My goal, as previously mentioned, was under 25 minutes. This is an expected pace of around an 8:02 mile. In my head I figured I would start around 8:07ish and progress faster if I felt good. However, my body clearly had other ideas.

Have you ever gone for a run, and with every step you contact the ground, you are on? That was me today. From the moment I started the race, I knew today was my day. I had it. The only question was how far below 25 minutes I would make it. I figured I would finish around 24:50, give or take a couple seconds. My feet, ankles, breathing, all of it felt great. My heartbeat was in tune with my steps.

Mile 1: 7:48

Everyone starts at once. This isn't a particularly large race, but there were more people here today than usual, likely due to the holiday weekend and pleasant weather. A couple people passed me at the beginning. No worries. The Alphaflys were bouncing quite nicely, and I felt good. My breathing wasn't particularly labored. My Garmin pace alert was set at 8:00/mile. It did buzz a couple times, so I made an effort to slow down a bit. Most of my watch glances had me at 8:00-8:05.

I was quite surprised when mile 1 passed and I ran it in 7:48. "Way way too fast!" I thought to myself. And yet... I didn't feel that bad? Usually when I start a race too fast my breathing is labored by the first mile. Here, I was breathing mostly normally through my nose. My legs felt good. My heart rate was a little elevated, but not bad. The wind was very pleasant, keeping me from sweating too much.

So I figured... well... time to see what I've got in me. I've already started too fast. I can't get that energy back. A 5k goes too fast.

I continued to run along. Somewhere around the halfway point, I passed someone who was breathing very heavily and drenched in sweat. No hate, we've all been there. I felt for him. It's tough to pace a 5k correctly. You either go too fast and burn out way early, or you're too conservative and you leave too much in the tank at the end.

I turned at the halfway point. The course is an out-and-back. Sidenote: 180 degree turns in Alphaflys are rough. Do not recommend.

My breathing was starting to get a bit labored. I came up on another runner and passed him very gradually, around the 1.75 mile point according to my watch. I cruised for a bit until my Garmin buzzed for mile 2.

Mile 2: 7:42, cumulative time 15:30.

A couple things ran through my head. First, I'm ahead of schedule by 32 seconds. Ordinarily that's not bad, but 32 seconds is an eternity in a 5k. I'm either about to blow a gasket, or I'm much faster than I've been giving myself credit for. Or or, these Alphaflys are the real deal. And second, I've already run a negative mile split at what I thought was a pace too fast.

Oh yeah.

I am doing this. This is my race.

I continued to cruise until about the 2.6 mile mark. Half a mile to go. I can run a half mile any day. My breathing was getting pretty heavy by this point. My feet, legs, and ankles were all fine, but I knew I was pushing up against my aerobic limits.

I decided to push it.

I planted my foot in the ground and burst forward. My watch quickly read 6:45/mile, and I pulled back off that pretty fast. I could tell from my breathing I could not hold on to that. But I could go faster than 8:00. I already knew I had sub-25 in the bag, but a half mile is plenty enough time to overrun things and lose steam.

I decided on 7:20. Good ol' R pace! V.O2 wasn't gonna let me down today! All that R running, now I get it.

Mile 3: 7:24, cumulative time 22:54

TWENTY-TWO FIFTY-FOUR!

Was I gonna finish under 24?

Mile 0.10 (as measured by watch): 6:37

TOTAL TIME: 23:37!!

Needless to say, I am thrilled! Clearly all that tempo work has paid off in spades. All those questions I had about my true speed - turns out I'm faster than I realize. This makes me feel really good heading into my marathon training block in the next 4-6 weeks.

The bad: The Alphaflys I'm sure contributed today, but unfortunately they rubbed a blister on the ball of my foot. I don't think I'm going to keep them. Which makes me curious about what my time would have been in my usual shoes! Who knows.

What's next: Upping those training paces! Unfortunately we had to drop out of Wine and Dine this year due to DW's foot surgery. I'll start my marathon training block in late July or early August. Until then, I'll run mostly easy with maybe one week of LT running at my new LT pace.

Official results are up, and I was actually clocked at 23:35. I'm fine leaving the extra 2 seconds on my time to account for the 0.01.

I was first in my age group and 7th overall out of 39 finishers. The winner was a 50-54 year old male who ran it in 17:44. 3 total finishers under 20 minutes.

Following my 5k last Saturday, I rested Sunday (and had friends over for drinks and shenanigans Saturday, so the rest Sunday was well-earned). My focus this week has been a reset with all easy running (10:00 - 10:40) as I begin a bit of base-building ahead of my marathon plan.

Monday: 5 miles; T/D: 62/42 = 104
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 4 miles; T/D: 72/61 = 133
Thursday: 5 miles + strides; T/D: 68/63 = 131
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 5 miles; T/D: 72/66 = 138
Sunday: 7.5 miles + strides; Starting T/D: 73/63 = 136; Ending T/D: 76/65 = 141

Been kind of a challenging week for various reasons. DW had her first of two foot surgeries on Tuesday and has been very limited in weight-bearing. She's moving around a bit better this weekend but still has another couple of weeks until she's in a boot.

I also have been very disappointed by the recent political news, for lack of a better term. One of the cool things about living in DC is how quickly protests mobilize. We live maybe a 10 minute walk from the Capitol and the Supreme Court. I tend to avoid the big crowded protests, especially recently because of the heat, but I lodged my own protest during my morning run this morning on the National Mall.

Screenshot_20220626-091347~2.png

Next week will be more mostly easy running. I'm going to try a LT workout tomorrow (Monday) at my new LT pace, which VDOT is telling me should be 8:02. That seems quite fast, but it's worth a shot to see how it goes.

Last week I again focused on easy running, with an LT workout on Monday.

Monday: 1.5 mile warm up, 4x 800 meters @ LT (8:02) w/ 1 min recovery, 3 min recovery, 5x 20 second Strides w/ 1 min recovery, 1 mile cool down; T/D 75/65 = 140
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 4 miles easy; T/D 67/60 = 127
Thursday: 5 miles easy; T/D 73/68 = 141
Friday: rest
Saturday: 60 minutes easy + strides; T/D 79/68 = 147
Sunday: 6 miles @ EB (9:41); T/D: 75//70 = 145

I don't remember anything particularly notable about this week's running except that the heat is on. It has not been fun one bit. I'm beginning to question why I signed up for a fall marathon - because it means training in the summer heat!

I also got in touch with @DopeyBadger for my training plan, which will start in August. He was kind enough to map out easy running the rest of July as well, so I'll spend this month base-building and getting used to the new EA, EB, and LR paces while continuing to try to adjust to the heat. I'm also signed up for the DC Race the District half marathon on September 18 as a tune-up to make sure training is on the right track. This training plan is also 5 days a week and 16 weeks (instead of 6 days a week for 18 weeks like the Princess plan was) to hopefully curb any injury issues.

I'm feeling excited and nervous for the challenge all at once! I can tell many of the workouts will really test me, but I'm ready for it.

Last edited:
It's been all easy running as I base-build this week toward the marathon training plan, so it's been either EA (10:22) or EB (9:41). It's a little hard mentally to wrap my head around having a sub-10 easy pace. But so far it's working out.

Monday: 5 miles EA; T/D 74/56 = 130
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 5 miles EA; T/D 79/67 = 146
Thursday: 6 miles EB; T/D 75/69 = 144
Friday: rest
Saturday: 5 miles EA; T/D 73/69 = 142, raining
Sunday: 6 miles EB; T/D 73/63 = 136

No particular notes of interest this week. Strava reveals my splits were all about right within my ranges as I get used to these faster paces. And... it's hot. It continues to be hot. Some days it's miserably hot. And it's only the beginning of July.

Been an interesting week! Went to the National Mall on Monday evening with a friend to watch the fireworks. Despite living in DC for a few years, I had never done it. It was fun! Not sure I would ever recommend camping out all day in the secured area in front of the fireworks, but we arrived in the open area between Washington Monument and the Capitol about an hour prior and it was totally fine. The Washington obstructed some of the fireworks, but not a huge deal overall.

Also, apparently it's a season of shows for us. On Thursday we caught To Kill a Mockingbird at the Kennedy Center. Great show, weirdly misplaced humor at times. Friday was Thor: Love and Thunder... eh. And this coming week, we'll see The Band's Visit at the Kennedy Center and Six! at the National Theatre. Coming up in a few weeks is a weekend trip to NYC for Music Man, Come From Away, and Into the Woods on Broadway, followed by Hamilton at the Kennedy Center. And maybe Blue Man Group at the Kennedy Center later this month... I do love live theater! Catching up on lost time after the last two years, I guess.

Went to the National Mall on Monday evening with a friend to watch the fireworks. Despite living in DC for a few years, I had never done it. It was fun! Not sure I would ever recommend camping out all day in the secured area in front of the fireworks, but we arrived in the open area between Washington Monument and the Capitol about an hour prior and it was totally fine.
I think I have been in DC for 9 or 10 Fourths of July now, and I have never gone to the Mall for the fireworks 😅 Glad you enjoyed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter