This is how they are replacing Splash Mountain, really???

Wait? There's a story line for splash mountain?

Yes, I grew up watching Uncle Remus and I'm real familiar with the br'er patch but I really do not understand how people become attached to a story that sets up a ride.

The theming and immaculate backdrops of Disney rides is what attracts me to them. I could care less about what ever story they have attached to the ride.

I have to admit that I am a thrill ride kind of person and find most Disney rides to be extremely boring so I'm probably not the best person to get involved in this post.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/tianas-bayou-adventure-attraction-queue-story/

If this is improper to share, please close and delete thread.

Feeling aside regarding Splash Mountain Vs Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, this sounds awful. You are telling me this is the best Disney could come up with for one of their high ranking IPs. A freaking “ingredient chase” story line. I can’t believe how bad this sounds.

I had some hopes for this ride. This sounds like generic unimaginative short cuts.
You've prejudged something that you truly have no idea about whatsoever. You've just decided to imagine what something is going to be. A bit early to be calling this "awful".

I was happy to see Disney didn’t go with the “just retell the movie” option that seems to be the default for so many rides (or “more or less the plot of the original movie”, like Frozen)— what I’ve read doesn’t sound especially promising to me, but I’m going to bet on the imagineers to do a better job creating a narrative than I could.

I am a millennial who went on Splash Mountain at least 100x since the early 90s and I never thought the plot of the original ride was all that compelling—does anybody ride it more than once for anything other than the drops? 🤨

The more I learn about Tiana's Bayou Adventure, the more and more I see how perfectly this fits inside Disneylands Splash Mountain and neighboring New Orleans Square. Love the new Eudora's Gifts shop they recently opened. With the changes about to be made to the French Market/Mint Julep bar this will be a seamless transition.

However, when it comes to the Disney World version.....I feel like they'll need work on re-themeing the surrounding area to make this cohesive.

Maybe they could do something with that stretch of land between Pirates and Splash, where Golden Oak Outpost currently resides? I saw someone mention Peco's Bill being closed, so maybe that stretch of facade will be re-themed?

I saw someone mention Peco's Bill being closed, so maybe that stretch of facade will be re-themed?
At this time Pecos Bills is not closed and a refurbishment has not officially been announced. It is only a rumour at this time.

I loved splash as it was but I can tell you my 4-year-old daughter is over the moon, cannot contain herself, excited that Tiana and Louis are getting their own ride. (I'm fairly sure she also can't wait for the new princess offerings in the gift shop 😂 ) Plus if you are going to replace zip with something equally upbeat, fun, and catchy, zydeco music is the way to go.

I wasn't thrilled when they redid maelstrom either but my kids love it more as frozen than they ever did before. Seems like they've got a good pulse on what their target audience wants...

Don’t really care about the story. What’s going to be really sad is when they replace the 60? 70? 80? Animatronics currently in splash mountain with just 5 or so new ones and the rest with digital projectors.
THIS is my concern. I know digital is easier and "cooler" than animatronics but boy, I hate the new shift to all digital stuff. Universal is the worst offender.

I was happy to see Disney didn’t go with the “just retell the movie” option that seems to be the default for so many rides (or “more or less the plot of the original movie”, like Frozen)— what I’ve read doesn’t sound especially promising to me, but I’m going to bet on the imagineers to do a better job creating a narrative than I could.

I am a millennial who went on Splash Mountain at least 100x since the early 90s and I never thought the plot of the original ride was all that compelling—does anybody ride it more than once for anything other than the drops? 🤨
Yes, our family loved Splash Mountain and have rode it at 100x too. We loved that it was a long attraction with tons of animatronics and a super catchy song. The theming was so good both inside and outside. We know time moves on and attractions change. Just hoping it's not a shortened track, lots of video screens, and a drop.

What I love most about splash mountain is the physical ride with the drops. I am fine with the scenery changes. All the little and big hills are just pure fun to me. I’m sure I will enjoy this version too
Right? I am flabbergasted, even for the folks around here, to find something so negative in just a bit of a theme change. So freakin' what?!? Your ride isn't changing. Close your eyes if you hate Tiana so much.

I find it a fun change. As long as the ride is still the same ride, one I enjoy due to it's length as much as anything, it seems so silly to fuss.

Hoping the ride turns out better than the pre-view. I suspect they are leaving out a lot. Still not sure how a story in New Orleans fits inside a mountain.
Based on the movie, was still really hoping for a restaurant with it.
It think it's the swamp setting as much as anything. With a salt mine which there are plenty of, in and around New Orleans. Not in the city itself but you don't gotta go far to find one.

Splash Mountain is our family's favorite ride due to the music, the animatronics, the movement, etc. Princess and the Frog is such a great story with great music and characters too so there is potential. But this food hunt story? I'm initially disappointed they won't have the great music from the show or some of the characters: Dr. Facilier at the drop, Ray, etc. I guess my greatest wish is that there is great, fun, happy music in the new ride since the water flume is always fun and stays. And please, no screens--use animatronics! I think one of the two biggest "misses" in Galaxy's Edge is the complete lack of Star Wars music (along with tying it to a specific time period and excluding the OT). While disappointed Splash Mountain was leaving, we were happy the replacement is Princess and the Frog. But getting more worried about that no.

Last edited:
I could technically describe "Ratatouille" as one long ingredient chase by Remy and his family. I wouldn't judge an entire story based on a short summary.
I think the setting and ride type work really well for Ratatouille. However . . . have to agree with OP here. Reading that the plot for a mountain-drop ride would be an "ingredients chase" really deflated my excitement. Doesn't seem to fit at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter