Things you were stunned that people didn't know?

My boss (who could absolutely afford a new car!) drives 2 old bombs with manual crank windows. I've said that at least his grandchildren will understand what people mean when they talk about 'winding down the windows'!

LOL. When he does buy a new car, he'll probably buy one of the ones that still come standard with manual windows!

But I do think that for some it was that it's WDW and not only that but when you go to certain places for whatever reason it can be easy to forget that bad things can still happen or that you should still be aware of your surroundings. Some people I'm sure just didn't think that at WDW wildlife could appear when the main thought of WDW is theme parks with rides and stuff even though the incident occured at the Grand Floridian it was close to the other theme park stuff. Then there were the people who started talking about seeing gators in Tom Sawyer Island and well even that was like :eek: for me. Even if I understand gators are in FL I'm not expecting them to show up while I'm inside the MK and that is probably because I didn't understand how the water was connected to outside water areas outside of the MK park which is then connected to other water areas.

Well, sure, but they're outdoor parks. If squirrels can get in, it stands to reason that small gators could get in undetected as well. There is no such thing as 100% wildlife proofing.

And then the waterways- the water looks like swamp water. It's not like they are filtered water reservoirs. (Even if you don't go back to the fact that gators have legs).

I mean, I understand your reasoning, but I don't understand why it was mind blowing to some people that there was a gator in that water.

I am always surprised when a patient, that just delivered a baby two hours ago, can't understand why she has no "milk".

For the most part, say 95%, a new mom won't have "milk" (as in the kind that makes your breasts 3x as big and leaks through your blouse) for several days after birth. Small amounts of colostrum - yes. Mature milk in large volumes - no.

Unfortunately, this causes a lot of anxiety for new moms. There definitely needs to be more prenatal education on this.

Not so much stunned because it has happened so many times, but when we travel there's always someone that doesn't know that New Mexico is a state in the USA and not part of Mexico.

Last edited:
And the wine glass thing... we are wine snobs I guess. Have actually gone to a Riedl tasting where you try wines in a standard restaurant glass, and then in the appropriate crystal glass for the wine. There was a noticeable difference in the taste. Not a cheap tasting, because we got two sets of glasses to take home!

The surprise was, the sparkling wine glass they gave us was not a flute. It looked more like what I would consider a white wine glass.

It's something to see them run. In Fla I see them everyday when at my Fla place but have only seen them run a few times. If one is say 20 or 30 meters away and wants to run a person down, they will. They are amazingly fast.

They can jump terrifyingly high too. Like vertically out of the water lol. There is a reason they haven't had to evolve for millions of years.

And the wine glass thing... we are wine snobs I guess. Have actually gone to a Riedl tasting where you try wines in a standard restaurant glass, and then in the appropriate crystal glass for the wine. There was a noticeable difference in the taste. Not a cheap tasting, because we got two sets of glasses to take home!

The surprise was, the sparkling wine glass they gave us was not a flute. It looked more like what I would consider a white wine glass.

I'm wondering how much of that is psychological, though. I love good red wine, and I really don't think there's a huge difference in taste when I use the crystal or cheap glass. Sparkling wine doesn't taste different in different glasses but taste is influence by mood and mood is in turn influenced by presentation. You can serve cheap wine in crystal glasses and many people will compliment you on the wine choice because they perceive the wine to be better quality than it is. My mother does that for club meetings, and it cracks me up when people are impressed by the glasses.

(In short, I am not saying it doesn't make a difference to a few select wine connoisseurs but I think the winery that hosted that event makes a lot of money off people who are impressed by the fact they do comparison tasting and "give" their clients take home crystal glasses.)

I have seen animal planet videos. That is my number reason to not move to anywhere near their habitat. The biggest pest here are deer, and I'm happy they aren't carnivores. They won't stay out of my yard but at least they won't eat my dog.

And that's something else that surprised me. That some people defended the family for not knowing about gators because they were from another part of the states. But even in the PNW, we know about the gators in Florida. Yet I swear every other animal planet special is about gators and crocodiles. They aren't really underreported on, as long as you speak English and own a TV.

Exactly! And I was shocked at how many people, upon learning about alligators existing in Florida, were like "WELL THEN DISNEY NEEDS TO KILL ALL OF THE ALLIGATORS!" I got really salty over that lol. It was a terrible accident, yes. But that does not mean we kill an entire native species over it.

But I do think that for some it was that it's WDW and not only that but when you go to certain places for whatever reason it can be easy to forget that bad things can still happen or that you should still be aware of your surroundings. Some people I'm sure just didn't think that at WDW wildlife could appear when the main thought of WDW is theme parks with rides and stuff even though the incident occured at the Grand Floridian it was close to the other theme park stuff. Then there were the people who started talking about seeing gators in Tom Sawyer Island and well even that was like :eek: for me. Even if I understand gators are in FL I'm not expecting them to show up while I'm inside the MK and that is probably because I didn't understand how the water was connected to outside water areas outside of the MK park which is then connected to other water areas.

Yeah I totally agree about not expecting them to show up while in the parks or something. I was referring more to the people that just had zero idea that they existed in Florida whatsoever lol

Exactly! And I was shocked at how many people, upon learning about alligators existing in Florida, were like "WELL THEN DISNEY NEEDS TO KILL ALL OF THE ALLIGATORS!" I got really salty over that lol. It was a terrible accident, yes. But that does not mean we kill an entire native species over it.

Even the expectation that all the alligators that could reach WDW could be killed baffles me. It would be like saying someone should kill all the seagulls that can reach the beach. How exactly do they expect that to be done? Florida can't even control let alone eradicate invasive species like the snakes from the exotic pet trade let alone native alligator population.

That when you are out in crowded public areas and need to stop moving for any reason (talking to someone, tying a shoe, texting, figuring out where something is) you pull over to the side. You DO NOT stop in the middle of the walkway.

It's unreal to me how much this occurs in airports, grocery stores, malls, and of course Disney. Are people that ignorant, or do they just not give a darn that they are jamming up the walkway? :mad: Infuriating to me.

I've observed that many times over the years. What I have come to realize is that it often happens when the person is at a point where they have to choose which way to go, or whether to go forward or not. These are decision points and that is why people often stop there - they were not prepared to make the decision. It's usually not at a place where the flow of traffic could move easily past them, but where it narrows or turns or splits into multiple paths. They don't know what to do at that point, so they stop.

I am always surprised when a patient, that just delivered a baby two hours ago, can't understand why she has no "milk".

For the most part, say 95%, a new mom won't have "milk" (as in the kind that makes your breasts 3x as big and leaks through your blouse) for several days after birth. Small amounts of colostrum - yes. Mature milk in large volumes - no.

Unfortunately, this causes a lot of anxiety for new moms. There definitely needs to be more prenatal education on this.

I wasn't really sure just exactly how long it takes for the milk to come, but I didn't think it was immediately after giving birth. I bottle fed my children.

That no one in human history has ever died of a cannabis overdose; that cannabis use doesn't make you stupid and lazy; that cannabis isn't a "gateway drug" to harder drugs; that there's no such thing as "Reefer Madness"; that people with difficult medical and psychiatric problems (PTSD, chronic pain, insomnia) find relief from their symptoms through cannabis use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter