Things to tell newbies

carlypaigesmom

Mouseketeer
I know we have a thread about questions to ask newbies but I didn't find a thread about things to tell newbies. My in-laws are traveling with us (MIL, SIL, and niece age 4) and haven't been in 20+ years or never been at at all. Here is what I've came up with so far.
-post it notes for toliet (niece hates auto flush)
- ok to get a few extra pieces of fruit off buffet
- stroller rental
-scooter rented
-ziplock bags to keep valuables from getting wet

• How and when to schedule FPs
  • Character dining vs waiting in line to meet characters (if niece is interested)
  • Counter service vs table service and how to make ADRs-- along with suggestions for best times and places to make ADRs. I'd also warn them that TS can be time consuming, longer than at restaurants at home, and they need to judge how much time they want to spend on it and how much your niece can handle
  • Rider swap if niece is too small for some headliner rides
  • Baby centers-- it's still acceptable for a 4-year-old to use them if she needs a quiet spot for a little while. Most also have kid-size toilets and are accommodating with the post-its

• It is larger than you think (or even dream) so start walking at home NOW.
  • You cannot see it all. Tell yourself that you are not missing an attraction but saving it for next visit.
  • Adults, you have the responsibility to call it a day, or time for a break BEFORE you or your children are too tired, hungry, thirsty, or overwhelmed. Your days will much more fun and memories happier.
  • The usual.... footwear, sunscreen, hydration
  • Pick up your "First Visit" or other special occasion badges and wear them proudly.
  • recognize the things that can really derail your vacation. I mean the big stuff, like injury or illness, or other truly major factor in life. Realize everything else is just a wrinkle in a plan, and don't let anything small or petty take the smile off your face. If something isn't working out, readjust and calmly carry on. Stuff happens, it is how you deal with it that makes the difference.
  • Free ice water is available at most CS restaurants, even Starbucks. You can pour it into a travel mug or bottle, even add a few drops of flavour if you like. We have been known to also use it to freshen cooling towels.
  • Children may love and/or hate characters, depends on the character, the day, the phase of the moon...you get the picture. Likewise fireworks and other very loud entertainment.
  • If you haven't purchased a Memory Maker, think about it. Not cheap but you get some great pictures. We don't bend our schedule to stand in line for them, but when we see one with only a few people waiting, we take advantage of them.
  • Playing in the fountains is a big hit with most kids. This is where a complete change of clothes is really necessary. Good to have a plastic bag for the wet stuff, too.
  • Offsite rental companies are almost always a better deal if you need strollers, wheelchairs or any other special equipment for more than a day or two.
  • Don't feel you have to pack and carry stuff for every contingency. A bandaid in your wallet is fine, but first aid is available at every park. If you forget or require something, short of Rx medication, glasses, etc, odds are you can it in a shop.
  • Don't just appreciate the Disney-built world. Take a moment to look around at your fellow guests and marvel that they are with you that day, from all over the world, sharing the magic.

*Editing my response*

First thing I'd tell a newbie... you're about to find out why they call it the Happiest Place on Earth. Now that we've established that...

WDW is big. No, I mean it. It's big. No, seriously, I'm not kidding. It's huge. Yes, you will walk far more than you think. Yes, you will need to pace yourself. Yes, you will get tired. No, you really don't get it...it's big.

Have I mentioned it's a big place??

Last edited:
-You're not gonna get to do EVERYTHING. Make peace with that and don't run yourself to death trying. You're on vacation.

-Go ahead and have your bag open and ready to go when you get to security. (Seriously, I do the same job for the Smithsonian and it's SO helpful when folks have their bags open when they get to the bag check)

With a 4 year old the 2 things I always tell people are stay on site and take mid-day breaks. I always hear people say "but we're staying at a condo right near the entrance". No matter how close to the property line it's not the same as staying on property for a handful of reasons. Like others said, you can't see it all so taking a mid-day break will help prevent a lot of jangled nerves.

With a 4 year old the 2 things I always tell people are stay on site and take mid-day breaks. I always hear people say "but we're staying at a condo right near the entrance". No matter how close to the property line it's not the same as staying on property for a handful of reasons.

See, I wouldn't tell that to a newbie, as that's a personal opinion. We always stay off site and have been doing so since before we had kids. We stayed off site when our kids were 4, 1, 1 and had no issues. Mid-day breaks aren't always necessary, and if you need them, yes, they're very much realistic when you're off site. I'd make a strong argument that off site is better than on, but that's just my own two cents. I'm not offended or upset by what you said, my point is that it's pure opinion, of which I completely disagree.

I'd try to stick to facts and absolutes when talking to a newbie...then let them form their own opinion. WDW is big. No disputing that fact. If you've never been and are going for a 5 day trip, or 7 day trip, you can't see EVERYTHING. No disputing that. Explain how FP+ works, those are simple facts. Etc...

See, I wouldn't tell that to a newbie, as that's a personal opinion. We always stay off site and have been doing so since before we had kids. We stayed off site when our kids were 4, 1, 1 and had no issues. Mid-day breaks aren't always necessary, and if you need them, yes, they're very much realistic when you're off site. I'd make a strong argument that off site is better than on, but that's just my own two cents. I'm not offended or upset by what you said, my point is that it's pure opinion, of which I completely disagree.

I'd try to stick to facts and absolutes when talking to a newbie...then let them form their own opinion. WDW is big. No disputing that fact. If you've never been and are going for a 5 day trip, or 7 day trip, you can't see EVERYTHING. No disputing that. Explain how FP+ works, those are simple facts. Etc...
My suggestion of a mid-day break fits right in line with your "it's big" comment so I don't understand why you're taking issue with my comments. And yes, all things (cost) being equal staying on-site beats off sight every time. Saves time, earlier access to FP, ability to use Disney transportation etc.

Not going to go down that rabbit hole of arguing about which is better, off site or on. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Using Disney transportation is a huge liability in my eyes, not an advantage. But that's just my opinion, and I recognize that. That entire topic is opinion. That's my point. Like I said, I'm not offended either way, what I'm saying is when newbies ask me about WDW, I try to stick to things that are fact based, not opinion. If they ask my opinion, I'll give it, but also say it's just my own opinion.

As for the mid-day breaks, you're right, it is in line with my "it's big" comment. So I have no disagreement with it if it's what you want to do, but again it's opinion. Mid day breaks aren't a "must", some days we do them, some we don't. And doing it off site is not difficult whatsoever.

Not going to go down that rabbit hole of arguing about which is better, off site or on. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Using Disney transportation is a huge liability in my eyes, not an advantage. But that's just my opinion, and I recognize that. That entire topic is opinion. That's my point. Like I said, I'm not offended either way, what I'm saying is when newbies ask me about WDW, I try to stick to things that are fact based, not opinion. If they ask my opinion, I'll give it, but also say it's just my own opinion.

As for the mid-day breaks, you're right, it is in line with my "it's big" comment. So I have no disagreement with it if it's what you want to do, but again it's opinion. Mid day breaks aren't a "must", some days we do them, some we don't. And doing it off site is not difficult whatsoever.
I don't see the word "must" in my post. Nothing is a "must" now is it? Walking a lot isn't even a must. It's dependent on how much you want to walk

I think it's a fact that no 2 and 4 year old is capable of making it through a day at the parks without a break. Whether you go back to your room or not is a matter of opinion.

I'm going to expand on the "walking" thing. Distance. Disney World is something like 45 square miles and when my daughter-in-law went for the first time, she just thought it was four parks next to each other like Cedar Point in Ohio times four and you just bounced back from one to the other. That doesn't happen at Disney World.

For more practical matters, don't over pack yourself for the day. At home, think about every single thing you would need for one day at a theme park and put it on the bed. Take a break and go back. Think about it again. Do you really need a hair brush (just throwing items out)? Do you need this, that and the other thing? What do you need to go to the grocery store? Put that to the side. Then look at the other items. Do you need a container of band aids when you can go to First Aid at the park? Don't weigh yourself down and get a comfortable bag that works for YOU, not for anyone else. And, if after the first day in the parks, there's an item you didn't use in your bag, dump it in the room for the next day.

Get cheap ponchos.

Don't have ONE person carry everything - each person takes their own.

Apply sunscreen before you leave your resort and you'll be fine.

Take one water bottle for each person, not a supply for the entire day.

I think it's a fact that no 2 and 4 year old is capable of making it through a day at the parks without a break. Whether you go back to your room or not is a matter of opinion.

Yep, I agree with that. A break can be a lot of things. We had days where we went back to the condo, but also had plenty of days where the break was a long stroller nap as we walked around, or even sat in a shady spot.

1. As already mentioned, you're not going to be able to do it all. Pick what things are most important and do those, and count anything else as a bonus.

2. Use a travel agent to help plan the trip. I think this helped us out tremendously in our first trip to WDW.

3. Do at least 1 character meal. My kids love it and I feel like it really adds to the experience of being at Disney.

Yep, I agree with that. A break can be a lot of things. We had days where we went back to the condo, but also had plenty of days where the break was a long stroller nap as we walked around, or even sat in a shady spot.
Shady spot? Must have been years ago. :D

Since I didn't see it already.....rope drop. You'll be amazed at how much more you can get done in the first two hours than any other part of the day. (Someone will say the same about park close, but IMO that is way more variable and it's definitely less consistent in terms of how late that ends up being.)

rope drop, have a car so you don't have to rely on other transportation, be prepared to be flexible with plans, make ADR for at least a few things way ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter