Things in your home that you thought you would use more than you have done?

Fireplaces. We have two and a woodstove, haven't used any of them in the 3+ years we've lived here.

Fireplaces. We have two and a woodstove, haven't used any of them in the 3+ years we've lived here.

We lived in Florida for many many years and I used the fireplace in Tallahassee multiple times in the winter to take the chill off. I've now moved to Atlanta and I think I've used it twice in 8 years!

They're both gas fireplaces but I just don't need it here like I did there. Which is funny because the temperature here gets much colder in the winter than it did in Florida.

We used our wood burning fireplace with insert to heat our house for about 10 years (of the 40 we have been in the house). The cost of wood went through the roof, and the ash dust was an issue for our kids asthma. We are in an all electric house in an area with low electric rates, so just using the furnace ended up being a better option. Last year we had the insert taken out, and an electric simulated fireplace with heater installed. We used it all winter long because it allowed us to just heat the family room, which is where we spent all our time.

We used our wood burning fireplace with insert to heat our house for about 10 years (of the 40 we have been in the house). The cost of wood went through the roof, and the ash dust was an issue for our kids asthma. We are in an all electric house in an area with low electric rates, so just using the furnace ended up being a better option. Last year we had the insert taken out, and an electric simulated fireplace with heater installed. We used it all winter long because it allowed us to just heat the family room, which is where we spent all our time.
I think the previous owners used the woodstove to heat the house for a while, at least. They cut a vent into the floor above it so the hot air could get up to the master bedroom.

I think the previous owners used the woodstove to heat the house for a while, at least. They cut a vent into the floor above it so the hot air could get up to the master bedroom.
We have a single story house, so running the fan on the HVAC helped circulate the heat . We have a U shaped house. But the fireplaces is on one leg of the "U" and the master bedroom is on the other leg. I worked overnights, and my wife wanted the temperature in the master bedroom to be 85 , which meant the temperature in the family room was 100!
40 years later, things change.....we run the a/c a lot more because my wife likes the master bedroom to be 68 now!

We have a single story house, so running the fan on the HVAC helped circulate the heat . We have a U shaped house. But the fireplaces is on one leg of the "U" and the master bedroom is on the other leg. I worked overnights, and my wife wanted the temperature in the master bedroom to be 85 , which meant the temperature in the family room was 100!
40 years later, things change.....we run the a/c a lot more because my wife likes the master bedroom to be 68 now!
We have baseboard hot water for heat and no central air, so nothing built in to circulate air. It looks like the house was built with electric heat, then at some point they switched to oil heat/baseboard hot water, then they put in the wood stove (probably when oil costs were high).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter