There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

Fortunately, Alex did get the job and was told we would be moving to(a place not on either list:rolleyes2:rotfl:)....
Sounds about right...
This was my one hope in all the options. Just send me somewhere where there's not a lot of snow. :rotfl:
True. But they do get ice from time to time and when they do... :scared:
We're doing as much as we can to help the kids transition to life back in the states. This is the first move Evie is really aware of, and she's not handling it well. It's been tough for her. There's about five kids she has been in the same class with since preschool, and since they go to a very small school (170 kids total from PreK-5) she's gotten to know everyone really well.
Yeah, that has got to be really hard on her. I hope she's able to make the adjustment without too much difficulty. I'm glad you're doing what you can to try to ease the pain for her.
andon is more of a laid back kid and is taking everything in stride. He's also hit the tween years and grouchy is what he sets his default mode to. :rolleyes2
Hard to think of him being at that age, but the attitude seems to be on point. :rotfl2:
However!
My race weekend is only a few weeks away. Pretty soon, I'll be hanging out at WL with my mom, spending a week eating at the Flower and Garden Festival, running through Epcot, and watching Happily Ever After again.
I can't wait!
I'm really glad you're still going to be able to make this work despite everything else going on all of a sudden. I hope you have a great time!

We are perfectly fine with this assignment. Is it someplace we want to live forever? Doubtful.
But is it warm most of the year?
YESSSSSS.
So you are saying you don't want to live in say Northeast Ohio where we can get tons of snow and -30 wind chills in the winter. :rotfl2:I don't blame you. Neither do I and I have lived here my whole life. DH and I talk about moving south to warmer weather once the kids graduate.

Congratulations to your husband on the new position.

I understand how Evie feels. My move after 3rd grade was just to a new school in the same district but that was hard. I hope things get better. I also understand the grouchy preteen/teenager. I am glad he is handling the move pretty good.

Congrats to Alex and his new job.

Sorry everything is happening at once and so much is changing. I feel for Evie. I don't like change either.

I'm sure your family is happy you'll be closer.

Looking forward to meeting up in just a few short weeks.

Wow! Very exciting and a whole lotta change for sure. I’m in Wisconsin and we got a foot of snow where we live last Saturday so let me just congratulate you on ending up someplace warm! Good luck with all the planning and moving logistics.

Wow! You have a full plate! Congrats to Alex on the new job and exciting adventures ahead for the whole family. Thinking of your sweet littles, not easy for them but being a military family involves lots of change. I am so glad you are getting a lovely respite with your Mom (and Disfriends) before all the busyness descends!

Exciting changes for all of you!
I hope we can meet up at WL!

I'm looking forward to the Geyser Point meetup! Should be a lot of fun. And hopefully we might see each other out and about around WL.

Sounds about right...

This is par for the course with military life. :rolleyes2

True. But they do get ice from time to time and when they do

Yes, unfortunately they do. But for awhile, there was a chance we were moving to North Dakota...I'll take a few weeks of icy weather. :rotfl:

Hard to think of him being at that age, but the attitude seems to be on point.

This attitude came in outta nowhere! There were several moments during our Spring Break trip that Alex and I turned to each other and said, "Remind me again why we thought traveling with a tween was a good idea?"

So you are saying you don't want to live in say Northeast Ohio where we can get tons of snow and -30 wind chills in the winter. :rotfl2:I don't blame you.

Yikes! That kind of weather is all yours. :rotfl2: I hate when I have to leave the house and make sure everyone has hats, gloves, jackets, chapstick, etc. It becomes an ordeal just to run an errand.

I also understand the grouchy preteen/teenager. I am glad he is handling the move pretty good

I have a feeling the move is going to hit Landon once we are in our new location. On the first day of school, when he doesn't see his familiar friends. Or when basketball starts up and he doesn't have his coach anymore.

I'm sure your family is happy you'll be closer.

Looking forward to meeting up in just a few short weeks.

Our families are definitely happy we'll be back stateside.

I'm excited for our April trips! The meetup is going to be so much fun!

Wow! Very exciting and a whole lotta change for sure. I’m in Wisconsin and we got a foot of snow where we live last Saturday so let me just congratulate you on ending up someplace warm! Good luck with all the planning and moving logistics.

A foot of snow in March?! Yuck. :rotfl:
That's too cold for me.

Exciting times ahead. So glad you and your mum will be together soon. Good luck on the races ☘️ 🥰

Thank you! My mom has been over the moon planning this trip. It's all she wants to talk about when I call her. :rotfl:

Thinking of your sweet littles, not easy for them but being a military family involves lots of change. I am so glad you are getting a lovely respite with your Mom (and Disfriends) before all the busyness descends!

Being a military kid requires a lot of resilience, for sure. It's nice because right now they attend a military elementary school, so when April rolls around it's the month of the military child and the school goes all out for them. They have picnic lunches with family, special gardening outings, a clap ceremony where parents and teachers line the walkways and cheer them onto campus, and several other events. Makes my mama heart happy to see them recognized for the sacrifices they have to make for their parent's career.

Congrats to Alex! I hope the move goes smoothly, and I can't wait to hear about your race weekend!

Thank you! At this point, I am just ready to enjoy my race weekend then get going with the move! Patience is hard when it comes to waiting for the next phase of your life to begin.

July 15th:

This was another down day for my family. But while we didn’t go into a theme park, the day was still full of fun.

My mom, brother, and sister in-law were coming into town this afternoon, and Alex’s mom and sister wanted to come over and visit. So, Alex and me and the kids made a grocery store run and packed up on party essentials. We decided to have a big taco dinner, with cheese dip and salsa and all sorts of snack goodies.

Once everyone arrived, the time flew by. Some people swam, some sat around and chatted, and some meandered from group to group, soaking up the atmosphere.

At one point, a pool cleaner came by and he asked if we’d like him to turn down the temperature in the pool. Remember earlier on in the report when I mentioned the pool was hot ?

Well, it turns out the temp was set to
95 degrees!!!:(

What?!?

No wonder why we were all suffering. Thankfully, the water became more bearable after that.

We were all having such a wonderful time, that the only pictures I took this day were:

01.JPG

And one from later on in the night. Once Alex’s family left and the kids were in bed, the adults went out to the game room and played with the toys for a bit:

02.JPG

I can’t tell you how special it is to be able to hang out and visit with my siblings now that we’re all adults and live far apart. The next few days of the trip were as fantastic as they were, because I was sharing the moments with people I cared about. I had never been to a park with my younger brother before (as an adult) and I was looking forward to the experience.

In the end, we stayed up later than we should have, but I have no regrets. It was worth every yawn the following day.::yes::

July 16th:

Were we ready for our first Universal park day?

No.
:rotfl2:

But, ready or not, the Wizarding World was waiting for us!

This was going to be an interesting next few days. There were going to be 9 of us.

NINE.

That’s a big group. Especially for a small theme park with narrow walkways.

It was my family of four. My mom. My brother and sister in-law. Eddie and Leslie.

Isaac and Carly (my bro and SIL) were annual passholders for Universal, so they got free parking at Citywalk. And because we were about thirty minutes away, Alex agreed to drive everyone in one vehicle.

03.JPG

It was a tight fit.

My mom and I were in the back. The kids and Isaac in the middle. Alex and Carly up front.

If I never have to crawl to the back of that car in 90 degree hit as I’m sticky and smelly from sweat again…it’ll be too soon.

The things you do to save a buck…:rotfl:

Once we all piled out and headed to the security checks, I couldn’t help but marvel at how large a group we were.

04.JPG

Because my mom bought the same military ticket as Alex and I, she had to activate it at a ticket window. It was while the rest of us were sitting and waiting that Eddie and Leslie found us and joined our party.

Evie had given us a rare display of smiles on our last theme park day; I thought maybe the tides had turned and the days of unimpressed Evie were behind us.

05.JPG

Apparently not.:rotfl2:

Don’t ever change, Evie. It keeps me humble.

After my mom got her ticket, it was time.

Time to go into a park?

Come on, friends. By now, you know what comes first.

Time to sunscreen up!

You would think with more adults, the task would have gone quicker.

Quite the opposite.

Only Alex and Leslie brought sunscreen with them. So now, not only did we have to go through the ordeal of lotioning the kids, we also had to play pass the sunscreen bottles around.

My nightmares are going to be fueled by greasy hands and the smell of the beach.

Eventually, we all were finished and ready to head inside Universal Studios. My group had a dinner reservation at Islands of Adventure, so we figured starting in Universal and park hopping over would be the best plan.

Before the trip, I had finished reading the Harry Potter series to the kids, and they were officially hooked. They both love all things HP. Landon dressed up in wizarding robes for Halloween. They both have way too many Lego HP sets that they play with on a weekly basis.

Getting to check out the WWoHP was Number 1 on their list for this summer.

Even more so than going to Walt Disney World.

Landon and Evie wanted to choose a wand, drink Butterbeer, see the fire breathing dragon, taste Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Bean.

I resisted the urge to show them pictures or videos of Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade so that everything would be brand new for them, and I’m so glad I did. Their reactions were priceless.

In case you aren’t familiar with Universal Studios, in order to get to Diagon Alley, you must pass the “London” area where the Knight Bus and Grimmauld Place are located.

06.JPG

Everyone was trying to catch a glimpse of Kreacher.

I insisted on a family photo in this spot:

07.JPG

Because that was the same place we took this photo 6 years earlier:

08.JPG

The kids have grown just a tad since their only other trip to Universal.:sad:

Enough with the pictures, the kids were ready to go!

As expected, once they stepped inside and saw all the Harry Potter theming, their jaws dropped. They couldn’t take everything in fast enough.

“Look at Weasley Wizards Wheezes!”

“Look at the dragon!”

“Look! That broom is moving in the window!”

Look, look, look!!!

So much to see and take in, not enough time to process the sights before you.

Eddie and Carly had brought their interactive wands with them, and they asked the kids if they wanted to give them a try.

09.JPG

Just as they got the hang of it, there was a rumbling ahead and the crowds around us quieted.

Time to redirect the kids’ attention to the dragon!

They were duly impressed:

10.JPG

This was so much fun. It was chaotic, with seven adults going, “Landon, check this out,” and “Evie, did you see this?”

But even with our brains ping ponging around the different conversations, the herding people back into one centralized spot, the kids tapping our shoulders constantly….it was fun.

I wouldn’t change the experience. The kids felt so special. Here were seven adults, every single one of them allowing them to be in the lead, letting them talk and look at whatever they wanted. Here were so many loved ones that all knew this series that meant so much to them, watching them, wanting to show them what they loved about the park.

I really hope they hold on to those memories. Already, this upcoming move has put stress on them. I can only wish that they remember what an awesome vacation they had last year. So while they’re stuck in a hotel without their stuff, or walking into the first day of school at a new place, or saying goodbye to their friends, they can bring up these moments and think about the positives. This was the trip they got to build a lightsaber and see a dragon breathe fire. This was the trip Mom and Dad let them gorge on free soda samples and munch on Gideon’s cookies with both their grandmothers at the same time. Life has ups and downs. And while this upcoming summer is going to be a down, hopefully they recall that the summer before was definitely an up.

And on that somber note, I think I’ll wrap up this update here.

Up Next: Girl Has Had Her Heart Set on This

At one point, a pool cleaner came by and he asked if we’d like him to turn down the temperature in the pool. Remember earlier on in the report when I mentioned the pool was hot ?

Well, it turns out the temp was set to
95 degrees!!!:(
That's a big hot tub!

I realize it is in Florida in summer, but I'm sure it still isn't cheap to heat that much water to 95 degrees.
I can’t tell you how special it is to be able to hang out and visit with my siblings now that we’re all adults and live far apart. The next few days of the trip were as fantastic as they were, because I was sharing the moments with people I cared about. I had never been to a park with my younger brother before (as an adult) and I was looking forward to the experience.

In the end, we stayed up later than we should have, but I have no regrets. It was worth every yawn the following day.::yes::
That's fantastic!

I mean I knew it was going to be a great day when you said you were getting stuff to make a bunch of tacos and nachos. But this is even better.
This was going to be an interesting next few days. There were going to be 9 of us.
NINE.

That’s a big group. Especially for a small theme park with narrow walkways.
But... at least it is 9 people in Universal. Not 9 people at Disney World where you have to schedule EVERYTHING and keep 9 people on that schedule. :faint:
I mean, parking at theme parks isn't cheap. That paid for someone's lunch at a minimum!
That's what kids are for.
Wow... just a little bit.
They were duly impressed:
10.JPG
That is fantastic!!! I'm glad you were able to be in position to get a picture of their reactions. That is priceless.
And while this upcoming summer is going to be a down, hopefully they recall that the summer before was definitely an up.
I know it is certainly going to be a strain and a huge challenge for them to adjust. But this last paragraph is a great perspective on everything. Hopefully they can understand it all!

Once everyone arrived, the time flew by. Some people swam, some sat around and chatted, and some meandered from group to group, soaking up the atmosphere.

This is the best way to spend a down day. So happy you got quality family time.

My 3 really enjoy it when they can all be together, which isn't very often since they are so spread out.

Great day and evening for all. Sounds like the next few days made it even better.

My nightmares are going to be fueled by greasy hands and the smell of the beach.

I can just smell the lotion from here.

07.JPG

Because that was the same place we took this photo 6 years earlier:
08.JPG

I love that you did this. It's perfect.

As expected, once they stepped inside and saw all the Harry Potter theming, their jaws dropped. They couldn’t take everything in fast enough.

I can just imagine!

I wouldn’t change the experience. The kids felt so special. Here were seven adults, every single one of them allowing them to be in the lead, letting them talk and look at whatever they wanted. Here were so many loved ones that all knew this series that meant so much to them, watching them, wanting to show them what they loved about the park.

This just warms my heart.

Oh man- this update made me cry. I'm SO happy you got to experience last summer's trip with so much family. And that picture of their first site of the dragon is priceless!
Hugs, friend- I know these next few months are going to be a roller coaster.

can’t tell you how special it is to be able to hang out and visit with my siblings now that we’re all adults and live far apart. The next few days of the trip were as fantastic as they were, because I was sharing the moments with people I cared about.
I am so happy for you that you got some quality family time together and really happy for your parents as I know my heart swells more than a wee bit when I see my kids enjoying eachother’s company so I’m sure your parent’s hearts do too. Makes a parent feel they did something right when their kids enjoy spending time together as adults ❤️
:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
Evie had given us a rare display of smiles on our last theme park day; I thought maybe the tides had turned and the days of unimpressed Evie were behind us.

Apparently not.:rotfl2:

Evie is her own woman and I love her for it 😂 She reminds me so much of my own daughter at that age- quietly determined!
Time to sunscreen up!
The joys!:rotfl:
Landon and Evie wanted to choose a wand, drink Butterbeer, see the fire breathing dragon, taste Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Bean.
I can feel their excitement from here!
Everyone was trying to catch a glimpse of Kreacher.
Brilliant photo.
Love that you have the comparison photos. I’d put that photo in a frame so the kids will see it and smile and remember what a fabulous holiday they had in 2022 especially now as they’re having to cope with things that 2023 is hurling at them 🥰
Wow those kids have definitely grown but somehow you and Alex have stayed the same or dare I say it, gotten younger :goodvibes
I wouldn’t change the experience. The kids felt so special. Here were seven adults, every single one of them allowing them to be in the lead, letting them talk and look at whatever they wanted
❤️❤️❤️❤️
I really hope they hold on to those memories.
I’ve no doubt they will be reliving and recounting those memories for many a year to come 🥰

Alas, I'm always playing catch up these days.

Your SWGE day sounds awesome! I'm so glad Evie got all that special attention in her costume! Bummer about Oga's. We waited for booth seating and I think that's the way to go, with kids and as adults. You can see all the crazy but are a bit tucked away from it.

Texas is going to be a heck of a change, huh?!? But, at least you'll be a much shorter, more reasonably priced flight from family. I'm sorry it's hitting the kids so hard, though.

I can not WAIT until my kids are ready for HP. I want to experience all of that magic right along with them, but they still aren't into stories that put kids into that level of mortal danger. Hopefully soon...

Wonderful updates! Loved reading about your special time with both your families. A group of 9 in a theme park :oops: But it sounds like you were all on the same page. You really captured the moment with the photos of your kids reactions. Priceless. Good luck with your upcoming move. Wow - if you were looking for a change of scenery and climate you got it! I know you will have some hard moments ahead but kids are resilient. Best of luck as you navigate this life change. P.S. Congratulations to your DH on the job!

I realize it is in Florida in summer, but I'm sure it still isn't cheap to heat that much water to 95 degrees.

We can only assume the guests before us were trying to turn on the hot tub (without paying for the daily fee) and messed up the pool temperature instead.

But... at least it is 9 people in Universal. Not 9 people at Disney World where you have to schedule EVERYTHING and keep 9 people on that schedule

I cannot even imagine trying to coordinate a large group at Disney. It was hard enough on the days Eddie and Leslie joined us, trying to figure out how to link their MDE accounts to our page and then remove them once the day was over so they weren't getting our mobile order notifications. :rotfl:

This is the best way to spend a down day. So happy you got quality family time.

I'm so glad we took the day and actually relaxed. We needed a break from the heat and stress of the parks.

My 3 really enjoy it when they can all be together, which isn't very often since they are so spread out.

It's hard when everyone lives so far apart. I have no idea when I'll be around both my brothers again. Probably Landon's graduation. :rotfl::sad2:

The kids’ faces in the dragon photo are priceless. I am sure they will always remember this trip!

I love that I caught their reaction on camera!

Oh man- this update made me cry. I'm SO happy you got to experience last summer's trip with so much family. And that picture of their first site of the dragon is priceless!
Hugs, friend- I know these next few months are going to be a roller coaster.

Thank you. :goodvibes This move has been such a whirlwind, but we are all taking things one day at a time. I'm ready for it be fall and we're all settled in our "new normal."

I know my heart swells more than a wee bit when I see my kids enjoying eachother’s company so I’m sure your parent’s hearts do too. Makes a parent feel they did something right when their kids enjoy spending time together as adults

I never thought it from that perspective before.
I remember back when my brother got married (in 2021) after the rehearsal dinner my brothers, parents, and I found ourselves at the pool late at night. None of the extended family (husbands/grandkids,etc) were with us and it was very surreal. It was like we were back in the 90s and no time had passed at all. I'm sure my parents cherish that memory.

She reminds me so much of my own daughter at that age- quietly determined!

It is sure an adventure raising such a daughter!:rotfl2:

I’d put that photo in a frame so the kids will see it and smile and remember what a fabulous holiday they had in 2022

Good idea!

Wow those kids have definitely grown but somehow you and Alex have stayed the same or dare I say it, gotten younger

Bless you. :rotfl:
Fortunately, pictures from far away like that hide the lines that've cropped up on our faces. Or, as Evie tells me when she draws pictures of me: "All those squiggles I have to draw on your cheeks." :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Your SWGE day sounds awesome! I'm so glad Evie got all that special attention in her costume!

It was a really special day. One of those times where, looking back, you know you wouldn't be able to recreate it if you tried.

Texas is going to be a heck of a change, huh?!?

The poor kids are going to have a massive culture shock. Evie hasn't lived in the states since she was 6 months old. Landon, aged 3. They're not going to know what hit them.
A few months ago, Evie said, "Hopefully we'll get another house next to the train station again."
Oh honey.....:rotfl2:
And last week in the grocery store, Landon commented, "They've got an entire aisle for chips, cookies, and granola bars here. This store is huge!"
....Wait until we take him to Cotsco. :rotfl:

I can not WAIT until my kids are ready for HP. I want to experience all of that magic right along with them, but they still aren't into stories that put kids into that level of mortal danger. Hopefully soon...

I understand. Kids have their fears. Landon's is dinosaurs and monsters. I'm 100% certain if Landon were to watch Jurasssic Park or Lord of the Rings, he'd have nightmares. Which is tough, because I want to share those stories with him, but I gotta do it on his timeline.

You really captured the moment with the photos of your kids reactions.

I loved that I thought to turn around and snap that photo.

Wow - if you were looking for a change of scenery and climate you got it! I know you will have some hard moments ahead but kids are resilient. Best of luck as you navigate this life change. P.S. Congratulations to your DH on the job!

Thank you! Texas is going to be a big change, and I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, but we're ready for our next adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter