• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The World of Wogging.

Lady Lallie

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the World of Wogging!

I'm starting this thread as a support/inspiration/motivation/anything that will help our group of DISers train for the 2011 Princess 1/2 Marathon.

Why 2011? Well for me, I have a trip planned in April of 2010 and I can't afford two trips so close together. Plus 2011 doesn't seem so scary. I'm not sure if I could be ready for 2010.

Training for the 1/2 Marathon was mentioned on my Pre-Trip Report and it snowballed from there. I am so excited that some of my DISbuddies want to train and participate in 2011 with me. :grouphug:

Why Wogging? Well I can't run. I have never been a runner, I can walk fast though and think that if I start small that I will be able to keep myself much more motivated and hopefully mix in some jogging in there, so I plan to Wog the 1/2 Marathon.

So everyone introduce themselves, goals, fears, training plans, whatever you want to share. :thumbsup2

I'm a fellow wogger!! I will definitely be joining you in 2011...we can so do this LOL!!

:rotfl:LL:

You are crazy! Wogging .... that's pretty much what I just finished doing. So I am sitting here, covered in sweat, in my shorts that are too tight, trying to figure out what to make for dinner. The temp here is 60 degrees with a cold front coming in. I just ran a bit over 2 miles, which is about all I can stand these days. I used to think anything less than 3 wasn't worth it. Hah!

The princess half marathon looks like fun. I have always wanted to do a run at WDW because I can't think of anything more fun than running at the world. Well, second to drinking and eating at the world.

Anyway, my screen name is MEK. My first name is Mary Ellen and I am old. I hate to say how old, but over 40. How's that! Not too specific, but it points you in the right direction! Well even though I may be older than most of you, I am experienced. Experienced in running. I used to do recreational runs - 5K, 10K. I even did a 10 miler and a 1/2 marathon. Never went for the full marathon. Too much work. I also used to be a big time cyclist. That was so much fun, but sooooo time consuming. Now I have 2 highschool boys that are heavily into soccer, so my exercise is driving them to practice and games. When the weather is nice I run (or woggle) while they practice. When the weather sucks, as it often does, I shop or sit in the car. I have learned to prefer shopping over sitting in the car, so my latest hobby is actually going to Kohl's and shopping from the 90% off rack.

Now that might sound crazy to some people, but I actually find it therapeutic. I really don't need any clothes. I have plenty and I wear a uniform to work. So my game is to see what I can get for 80 and 90% off. And you know what - I have found a lot of really cute things. I got this absolutely adorable green/brown skirt and green top at Kohl's this winter for a grand total of $5.40. It's on the hanger and I will pack it for my next Disney trip. I love Kohl's. I got some real cut shorts to cover my bathing suit for about $3 each at Kohl's. One pair is grey and one pair is blue. Perfect for walking to the pool or the water parks.

Anyway, enough about me. Back to the world of wogging.

BTW - if you are looking for comfortable running shoes, I definately recommend Asics. They are especially suited for people with a high instep or a wide foot. I find Reboks (sp?) and Nikes very uncomfortable. So, if you are looking for shoes, try Asics. They come in a variety of price ranges from probably $60 on up to $120. Definately wear running shoes and not cross trainers for wogging.

Another wogger reporting in for training! I agree that 2011 seems less threatening. 2010 is practically around the corner! :scared:

I am definitely not a runner. And I think my grandma's knees are better than mine are. :rotfl: But I am on a fitness kick. I've lost ~40 lbs in the last year and have a few more to go.

I can't think of anything that would motivate me more to run than to run (or wog) in WDW. And to do so with DIS buddies would be even cooler! So I'm willing to give it a try!

OK, I"m in, I'll head down to the basement and get in 30 minutes on the tread climber, it's cold and windy here. So no outside wogging for me! Wish me luck...:scared:

Alrighty, count me in! I ran cross country and track in High School. Not a whole lot since them. I do walk and hike occasionally. I will take my pedometer and see how long tonight. Maybe even throw a little jog in. I also like Ascics shoes. Gearing up for my first ever WDW trip next month. Now I have an excuse to tell hubby that we are going back. Glad to be a part of this!

Princesses there is no shame in being a pure walker either. You don't have to do any running to finish well within the time limits. Many of the Wish members are strong and fast walkers.

Good luck to all of you and good training.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Look at all of you! I am so glad to see so many of you over here. :goodvibes

The training program that I am going to start following is "Walk the Half Marathon."

I am way out of shape. Way, way out of shape. I know that I need to start out slow if I am going to keep up with this. I think that I will repeat the weeks at least twice since we have about 23 months to train. Then I would like to do the Couch to 5K program or something like that to help build my endurance. I really think I will be mainly walking when the time comes but I want to have the ability.

So tomorrow is my first day. Yay! For right now I am going to exercise in the morning before work. I think I am more likely to put off exercising at night until I get into a routine so I will start with the mornings.

I really want to get to the point where I enjoy exercising and I start to feel more healthy. :thumbsup2

Princesses there is no shame in being a pure walker either. You don't have to do any running to finish well within the time limits. Many of the Wish members are strong and fast walkers.

Good luck to all of you and good training.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Thanks, Walking Panda! That is good to hear! :goodvibes I can't wait for the sense of accomplishment in finishing the race. Walking, jogging or otherwise.

I'm here! I made it through my first workout tonight. I did a 5 minute warm up and then alternated running/walking in 60 second intervals for 30 minutes. I'm not going to lie. It sucked! I'm sooooo out of shape! But I'll be back at it tomorrow. I do have to remember to stretch better tomorrow. My calves were super tight when I started the "running" part

I finally made it over here. I'm definitely in for 2011.

I am not a runner at all. I was always the kid who tried to do whatever she could to get out of gym class. I had more excuses than anyone else I ever knew. My two attempts at trying to run haven't been since high school. The first when I was about 14 and got talked into trying running by a friend. I tripped on a sidewalk running down a hill and managed to rip my knees to shreds. I still have scars. The last time was a year later when I'd run laps to avoid playing softball in gym class. Pretty much I'd only run when my gym teacher bothered to look over at the track. I quickly switched over to playing tennis because it was easier to pretend that I was doing something. :rotfl:

Recently I've been having an urge to run. I have no idea where this urge has come from. I'm totally baffled by it. :lmao: I've started doing some walking, and can walk for awhile with no problems, but I'm defintely not getting any of the speed that I need to make 16 min. miles for a whole race. Last night I did 2 miles around my condo complex (2 round trips) averaging a 17 1/2 minute mile. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard, so there is room for improvement there.

As soon as I can get fitted for some good sneakers I want to start a couch to 5K program. I set my sights on running a 5k in October. I've picked out the race and everything. I know I could walk it with no problems (it has not time limit) but I'm determined to get past my running issue and run the entire thing.

:wave2:Hi everyone...fellow wogger here. I am up to jogging a 1/2 mile at a time but walk inbetween. I've done quite a few 5K's, a 10K, a 15K and a 1/2 marathon. Did the Princess 5K this year but am thinking about the 1/2 in 2010 and hoping they change the course as I am also already signed up for the January 1/2 again and don't want to do the same course 2 months later. Started walking/jogging/running after my Mom past away in December 2007. It is my way of dealing. Glad to be here ladies!!

OK I'm reporting in!! i'm gonna try the 12 weeks to the 1/2 marathon program that you linked LL...seems like a good place to start:thumbsup2

I'm NOT going to start til after Easter.... not totally cause I'm a wimp.... but because I'll be a normal, non-vampire, girl after Easter:cool1: So since I know that I'll just get frustrated this week trying to start something like that this week, when i'm only gonna have 3-4 hrs of sleep a day.... I'll wait til next week, and get into a good rhythm:banana:

I was in track in HS...but I was a field events girl (discus, javalin, shot put, triple jump) we had to run for training...but I maxed out at about 3 miles...and IMHO that was 2.75miles more than I wanted to run! :rotfl:

I hate walking outside when its cold and nasty...do you think it would be OK to use my elliptical for the workouts on the icky days??? What do you think??? or is that cheating:confused3

Paula

So I did my first 30 minutes this morning on the treadmill. This is going to be hard. :lmao: I am so out of shape it's ridiculous, I'm trying to focus on the positives.
*I got out of bed and to the gym.
*I finished my full 30 minutes.

Yay Me! :thumbsup2

I forgot how little I like walking on treadmills. I always feel like I am going to fall off, I had a death grip on one of the handles and I think I'm going to have a blister....on my hand.....from the handle. :rotfl: Yep, I'm special like that.

I'm going to change it up a little bit for tomorrow.
*I'm going to bring my book. The tvs with no volume just don't do it for me and I have no idea where my ipod is from the move.
*I'm going to do the bike tomorrow. I figure if I mix it up and get my workouts in at this point I am doing good. I am still going to follow the time lengths for the 1/2 Marathon Walking Training. Any exercise at this point is good exercise! :goodvibes

Does anyone else exercise in the mornings?

That is how it all starts though you get up and you do it! I'm done for today YAY!!! 30 minutes was great today especially with the gorgeous weather we are having!!!

I'm loving all the support guys...I know we can do this and we will become healthier and happier for it also!

I forgot how little I like walking on treadmills. I always feel like I am going to fall off, I had a death grip on one of the handles and I think I'm going to have a blister....on my hand.....from the handle. :rotfl: Yep, I'm special like that.

You think your bad? You should see the grip I have on the stupid thing since being dragged off the stupid thing a month or so ago. :rotfl: I'm okay to about 3.5 mph keeping my hands off the bars, but after that I have a death grip I don't know who I'm trying to fool, because if I take a flying leap off it again all I'm going to manage by keeping my hands on the bar is to injure my arms. I have to remember to clip the little emergency poweroff cord to me. I'm hoping that would actually stop the stupid thing.

When I walked outside Sunday night I was able to match what I had been walking on the treadmill without any problems. I'm going to have to do my best to get in the majority of my walks outside when possible. With my Nike+ I was able to measure the walk around the perimeter of my condo complex and it came up to a little over a mile. I was pretty surprised that it was that far, but it makes a convienent, safe place to get in a few miles at odd times.

I didn't get any walking in last night, but I did go to my yoga class. Normally I don't go to the gym on Tuesdays as I meet up with some friends after work, but I'm going to try to get in 2 miles around the complex when I get home. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me!

You think your bad? You should see the grip I have on the stupid thing since being dragged off the stupid thing a month or so ago. :rotfl: I'm okay to about 3.5 mph keeping my hands off the bars, but after that I have a death grip I don't know who I'm trying to fool, because if I take a flying leap off it again all I'm going to manage by keeping my hands on the bar is to injure my arms. I have to remember to clip the little emergency poweroff cord to me. I'm hoping that would actually stop the stupid thing.

When I walked outside Sunday night I was able to match what I had been walking on the treadmill without any problems. I'm going to have to do my best to get in the majority of my walks outside when possible. With my Nike+ I was able to measure the walk around the perimeter of my condo complex and it came up to a little over a mile. I was pretty surprised that it was that far, but it makes a convienent, safe place to get in a few miles at odd times.

I didn't get any walking in last night, but I did go to my yoga class. Normally I don't go to the gym on Tuesdays as I meet up with some friends after work, but I'm going to try to get in 2 miles around the complex when I get home. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me!
I was thinking about you when I had my deathgrip on the handle. I just kept chanting to myself, "Please don't fall, Please don't fall" :rotfl2:

Our new complex is pretty big so I am going to have to figure out a loop and what the mileage is if I want to walk outside for my mile walks once a week. I don't understand what this Nike thing is, can you explain it to me?

Good job morning workout people! I wish that I had time in the am for a workout. I'm proud of you all!

I'd give you some encouraging smilies but I can't figure out how to do it on my Blackberry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter