The Wonder in Alaska - September 2-9 2013

I’m so sorry to hear that your mother was not enjoying the cruise very much. I can imagine that caused a lot of stress for all of you - you probably needed that drink of the day! :laughing:

Otherwise, your Ketchikan day looks like it included a great morning on the Wonder. I can’t believe you actually had a sunny day in Ketchikan! WOW!!! Yikes - that is one disturbing cautionary tale from the totem pole! :scared1: Amazing to see all those salmon! Too bad you weren’t able to find a bear. :(

Oh, I loved that Cranberry Cinnamon drink too!!! I think it’s quite something that several officers met with your mom, and it’s too bad that she couldn’t look at that as a nice gesture and take on a bit more positive attitude. I have to say, the service we had on the Wonder was amazing - above and beyond anything on the Fantasy (despite the fact that the service on the Fantasy was incredible - I think it may be because the Wonder is smaller; everyone gets to know you more). I, however, did not experience how the Wonder handled allergies or intolerances. I can’t understand why they couldn’t get your mother’s food out with everyone else’s. On the Fantasy, I did notate my reservation with my food intolerance; the servers took my order for the next night each preceding night, and my food was always brought out in a timely manner. I would think they should be able to do the same on the Wonder. :confused3 It’s just bizarre to me! Especially not even managing to get it together that last night.

The princess gathering - one of our absolute favorite DCL things. :woohoo: Sounds like Natalie had a great time!

The chocolate and tequila tastings sound great! I definitely need to manage to do some of the tastings - never seem to find the time!

Sounds like a great pin-trading experience!

Your early-morning pics are beautiful. But so sad the trip is over. :( You really made the most of that last day though. I think that’s great! The sushi looks incredible!

Really enjoyed your trip report.....we are going on an Aug. Alaskan cruise, I loved all the great info you provided. One quick question if you don't mind....how were the seas?....it seems during a lot of the cruise you are fairly close to land, so was it pretty smooth most of the time?
We went on the Fantasy in April and despite wearing the patch, I felt a lot of movement and was bothered mostly in the dining rooms and theater.:sick: I also found the patch made me sleepy. I am thinking of bonine and dramamine this trip so I can better enjoy the dining rooms and evening activities.
Thanks again for the great pictures/report.:goodvibes

The seas were very, very smooth! I brought Dramamine just in case but we didn't need it at all. The only movement I felt was the last night as we were closest to open sea then, the rest of the time we were on the inside passage. My dd said it got a little bumpy in the wee hours of the final night, we were sound asleep by then! The teen club stays open super late that last night.

The seas were very, very smooth! I brought Dramamine just in case but we didn't need it at all. The only movement I felt was the last night as we were closest to open sea then, the rest of the time we were on the inside passage. My dd said it got a little bumpy in the wee hours of the final night, we were sound asleep by then! The teen club stays open super late that last night.

Great, just what I was hoping to hear. My daughter loved Vibe on the Fantasy, hoping it will be just as much fun on the Wonder.:thumbsup2
Thanks for the response.

Really enjoyed your report! I'm going with my 5 yo DS on the 9 nighter this May. We can't wait!

Some questions I have are about the skytrain pass you bought at the 7-11 in the airport. You said it was downstairs? That was after you came out of customs I assume? Also did you pay cash or use a credit card? If you used cash did you get Canadian before you left?

Thanks!

Really enjoyed your report! I'm going with my 5 yo DS on the 9 nighter this May. We can't wait! Some questions I have are about the skytrain pass you bought at the 7-11 in the airport. You said it was downstairs? That was after you came out of customs I assume? Also did you pay cash or use a credit card? If you used cash did you get Canadian before you left? Thanks!

We actually went through Customs in Toronto. The 7-11 was right down an escalator just outside of baggage claim. But, if you are interested, I have several extra tickets left in the book. If you are comfortable PMing me your address, I will be happy to send them to you (free of charge). We have no plans to go to Vancouver again anytime in the foreseeable future, and we still came out ahead by purchasing the passes. I think I used a credit card for this purchase. We did not get any Canadian money before we arrived. Everywhere we shopped in Vancouver was willing to take American cash. Some gave back American and some gave back Canadian. We did charge a few things and actually saved money that was since the exchange rate on our statement happened to be favorable. I didn't know if that was going to be the case or not, but we did come out a few dollars ahead in the end.

We actually went through Customs in Toronto. The 7-11 was right down an escalator just outside of baggage claim. But, if you are interested, I have several extra tickets left in the book. If you are comfortable PMing me your address, I will be happy to send them to you (free of charge). We have no plans to go to Vancouver again anytime in the foreseeable future, and we still came out ahead by purchasing the passes. I think I used a credit card for this purchase. We did not get any Canadian money before we arrived. Everywhere we shopped in Vancouver was willing to take American cash. Some gave back American and some gave back Canadian. We did charge a few things and actually saved money that was since the exchange rate on our statement happened to be favorable. I didn't know if that was going to be the case or not, but we did come out a few dollars ahead in the end.

Oh yeh that would be right. I remember the Toronto US customs (I was hoping Vancouver did that, too as we go from their to Chicago and I hate customs in Chicago ahaha)

Ill pm you our addy! Thank you!

:cheer2:Cheers for your TR! I loved every minute of reading it! I have just started exploring the possibility of going this summer and this TR got me so excited that I have stopped worrying about the cost and the possibility of getting motion sickness. I do have a question. For the different experiences like the mixology and chocolate tastings, are those listings available somewhere before the trip or do you just find out times when you get on board and sign up then? I am a planner and would love to look at those ahead of time.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience! I added a few things to my packing list!

Thank you for such a great trip report! You seemed to have had great weather all along, which makes the trip so much more enjoyable especially in the ports! We are going this June and reading all these fabulous TR's is giving me so much insight about what to expect and plan our excursions. Great job! :thumbsup2

:cheer2:Cheers for your TR! I loved every minute of reading it! I have just started exploring the possibility of going this summer and this TR got me so excited that I have stopped worrying about the cost and the possibility of getting motion sickness. I do have a question. For the different experiences like the mixology and chocolate tastings, are those listings available somewhere before the trip or do you just find out times when you get on board and sign up then? I am a planner and would love to look at those ahead of time. Again, thanks for sharing your experience! I added a few things to my packing list!

You can get an idea of what will be offered when from previous DCL Navigators but you won't know for sure until you board. On our cruise, they were taking reservations for all the tastings in Diversions. I went there as soon as we boarded and got Palo reservations and the tastings we wanted. They will have a list of the available tastings there and give you tickets for each participant. I had to sign up for the Princess Tea at Guest Services.

I'm glad I was able to help a bit in the planning for those of you who have this cruise coming up! I look forward to reading trip reports after the summer to see how everyone enjoyed it!!!!

I was on the same cruise, loved every minute, couldn't believe we were able to wear T shirts in Ketchikan, just reading your trip report took me back to the trip, I am actually doing the same trip again this year, I was in the recipe exchange and have tried a couple of the recipes.

Thanks for such a great report. We're actually sailing Princess to Alaska this summer after I did some price comparisons once the DVC cruise was announced. I think the Princess Cruise was like 30% of the special Disney Cruise.

We've been to Vancouver a couple of times (though we'll be sailing out of Seattle this summer which is fine since we live there) and on one tour we found out that the condo where you saw the big tree was once owned by Leonard Nemoy (or so they say).

Also, I think I heard that Holland America gets the good "parking spaces" because they've been sailing to Alaska longer than everybody else. Or take the most people...something like that.

I love your kids' hats! They are the cutest. I want animal hats.

And on the subject of mothers...I cut all contact with mine about four years ago for a lifetime of reasons, and my life has been so much better ever since. I know it's not the right answer for everyone. I just finally took her up on her offer of being better off without each other. It's killing her, but it's great for me. It sounds like you've figured out a good way of coping with yours which is great, and it sounds like you're protecting the kids which is really what matters.

I'm glad that you ended up making the most of your trip and creating memories that you will treasure. You sound like a great mom. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!