The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

PIO - the cider looks great! I just wish it was cold enough here (other than 1-2 months out of the year) to drink something like that!

Janice - How nice of you to donate your hair like that! I have been working for almost 20 years to get mine as long as it is and I would have a hard time parting with any of it!

Jen - Don't you love how the cats run our lives? :lmao:

Kat - Isn't your trip right around the corner or did I miss it already?

Glynis - sorry about the furnace and just after the washing machine! :headache:

Brandi - safe travels home!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WFD? I have no idea? :rotfl2: We've got a house guest, sort of adopted family member. Maybe I'll make turkey and dumplings with some of that leftover turkey? :confused3

PSA don't go to Trader Joes hungry! I came out with all kinds of stuff.

WFD is carne asada ala TJ rice and salad

I had 12 inches chopped off and I still have hair left. It is just above my shoulders dry. My hair is curly so it will take me a while to get used to my new doo. I feel light headed and I keep flipping my nonexistant hair off my shoulders:lmao: I kept getting strange looks from people in the store when I was trying to flip my hair.

Kat I will work on a picture.

Jen - Don't you love how the cats run our lives? :lmao:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WFD? I have no idea? :rotfl2: We've got a house guest, sort of adopted family member. Maybe I'll make turkey and dumplings with some of that leftover turkey? :confused3

You know what they say...

Dogs have owners, cats have staff. :lmao:

Hope you figured out a yummy dinner.

PSA don't go to Trader Joes hungry! I came out with all kinds of stuff.

WFD is carne asada ala TJ rice and salad

I had 12 inches chopped off and I still have hair left. It is just above my shoulders dry. My hair is curly so it will take me a while to get used to my new doo. I feel light headed and I keep flipping my nonexistant hair off my shoulders:lmao: I kept getting strange looks from people in the store when I was trying to flip my hair.

Sooooo jealous of your TJ's dinner.

And :cool1: for the haircut.

When I first moved to Texas, I had hair past my shoulders. And then I got here and it was hot and I cut it off into a boy cut. It took me a while to get used to. :rotfl2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was so yummy that we had it for lunch and dinner. :laughing:

Autumn Salad

318327_2410629314719_1520824968_32524946_1621433229_n.jpg

Fresh spinach/spring mix
Diced pears
Dried cranberries
Chopped green onions
Chopped walnuts
Feta cheese
Fresh bacon bits
Diced chicken breast
Poppy seed dressing

Mix in your desired amount and enjoy. This is the best salad evah!!!

You know what they say...

Dogs have owners, cats have staff. :lmao:

Hope you figured out a yummy dinner.

Yeah, that's funny! Actually Fran surprised me tonight. We went to Costco to buy a new TV and other stuff. We were leaving the parking lot and I mentioned that I no idea what we were having for dinner so we should figure it out and see if we needed anything at the grocery store before we got home. She asked if I wanted to eat Shabu Shabu, but that place is about 25+ minutes away and ALWAYS busy. At 6PM on a Saturday night we would have a VERY long wait! Then we remembered this Asian buffet we used to love, but we haven't been there in years because Fran couldn't wallk for a few years until she got new bionic parts (2 knees and a hip).

I had miso soup, sushi, Hot n Sour Soup, a plate of what they call Teppan which is really more like Mongolian BBQ, and then I was pretty much full. :headache: They've added a chocolate fountain and I had half a dozen strawberries coated in chocolate and I was done. Put a fork in me!

I'm so full right now! We're watching Cars with our friend Arline. She is severly lacking in her Disney education and we're taking her to the World in May. Part of getting her set for that includes 3 nights at Disneyland in February, but she's hardly seen any Disney movies so she doesn't really understand the "folklore" of the parks. We have a lot of educating to do!

PIO- We really liked the pad thai, but I could have added more chili. It was a bit dry, I should have added more sauce. I was converting and doubling the recipe in my head, I should have done it on paper. My recipe calls for tamarind paste, so the color was different but we all loved it and will have it again. I've been trying to remember to bring my camera with me more often, I'll try and get you some Cape Cod pictures- though looking out my window now all I see is fog!

Robin - I probably should have told you that I use a very big spoon here. And unfortunately when cooking noodles, you will also have to be generous with the oil as well. I've tried cutting down on the oil and it never works out as when I go heavy with the oil.

Hope it gets better the next time round.

Tamarind paste in pad thai? I might have to add that to see if it makes a difference...

Tonight we are celebrating Kady's 10th birthday so Marisa is bringing cupcakes and pizza to my house. I had agreed to watch Nola and Rylee for one of Welby's shows so they are all coming here.

HB to Kady! Hope everyone had a good time at the celebration!

And yes, I loved the hot cider. I normally have mulled wine or gluewein instead; but I think I prefer the hot cider to the gluewein. DH loved it too.

I do, we had some amazing sunsets. Are you on facebook? Otherwise I can load a few to flickr and post them here.

Becky - I don't have a FB account. If you load on flickr, let me know. I have a FB account and should be able to go into your flickr account and take a look.

I will leave Alabama tomorrow so no amazing dinners for me. We ate at logan steak house last night.

Hope you had a good time and are safely home with your pillow and bed! :laughing:

I’d love it if you, Uncle R and everyone else on this thread were able to come with us. EPCOT would never be the same after that!;)

Yeah....the EPCOT restauranters, cooks and chefs will not like us telling them how to cook dinner! :rotfl:

It's the start of a busy weekend. I head straight to the school tonight to help decorate and set up for the Homecoming pancake breakfast. Then it's off the meet my Dsis to get my youngest DN. Up and at the school by 6am tomorrow morning for the breakfast which is until 10:30, then clean up and the parade at 11:30. The game is at 1 and after that my DN and I will head out to her sisters swim meet.

Afterwards I am thinking we will go out and have dinner somewhere fast and easy.

Sunday morning I am taking her to the farm for apples, beets and swiss chard then home for baking apple something. After that it's back to the swim meet and after that home and pass out. :faint:

Marilyn - Sounds like a busy but fun weekend. Hope you went somewhere nice for dinner.

I've taken on the HUGE task of reorganizing my entire spice cabinet. I'm stoked about it, but it's taking a long time. I'll post pics/details when I finish! Hopefully, this weekend will bring that to an end.

Hope the re-org went well and looking forward to the pics.

BTW - Are you feeling better? Has the doctor given you the all clear?

Well, the bad news here, just continues. It's time to replace our furnace. I tried to turn it on yesterday morning, and nothin'! Alan called a guy to come check our light, and it turns out that we have a huge crack in the furnace, that makes it illegal for them to fix it. This must be our time of trial. I'm hoping that Alan has some idea tucked away, because with the purchase of the washing machine, his tuition for grad school, and now a new furnace, our Christmas is looking pretty bleak! I'm just grateful that he got the wood burning stove installed. We may all be huddled around that this winter. Grrr!

Dinner tonight is tuna salad.

Glynis - Sorry to read about your time of trial. But things come in three's, right? And if I'm counting right, this is the 3rd (and last) in the series of events.
Hope you get a working furnace soon. It must be getting colder in your neck of the woods?

If I say I want sushi too, can we have some? :lmao:

Well....:scratchin.....I'm thinking that if you're telling me you want sushi, that would mean that you're here in Melbourne. If that was the case, then I'd be Dismeeting with you and we're probably out having sushi somewhere! Maybe even with some Teppenyaki afterwards. :rolleyes1

And your autumn salad.....my aunt (she lives in San Diego) does something very very similar to that recipe. She uses raspberry vinegar dressing that she gets from Trader Joe's instead.

PIO - the cider looks great! I just wish it was cold enough here (other than 1-2 months out of the year) to drink something like that!

It really wasn't cold enough to drink something like that here either. :rolleyes1

And what do you mean...."out at Costco buying a new TV". New TV?????

You finally cut it! Wish I could have seen a before and after picture. Hope you get used to your new 'do' soon. Do you think you'll do it again?

WFDT? No idea. But we have a lot of leftovers in the fridge. I think I've managed to convince DH to eat some rather than having to cook something else!

And what do you mean...."out at Costco buying a new TV". New TV?????

Well it's a long story, but to try and make it short. Arline didn't have cable so the HDTV couldn't get recpetion and we took it back and gave her a std TV last winter. Then she had her heart attack in June and needed to stay home and rest, so she got cable this fall and now can have the HDTV, so we'll give her back the HDTV that we gave her sort of adopted son that she inherited several years ago. We took it back (last winter) when she didn't have cable and couldn't use an HDTV. So since we're giving her back that TV, we'll use the new TV since we sold the old one (we were using) at the garage sale last summer! This is the bedroom TV so nothing really substantial.

Well it's a long story, but to try and make it short. Arline didn't have cable so the HDTV couldn't get recpetion and we took it back and gave her a std TV last winter. Then she had her heart attack in June and needed to stay home and rest, so she got cable this fall and now can have the HDTV, so we'll give her back the HDTV that we gave her sort of adopted son that she inherited several years ago. We took it back (last winter) when she didn't have cable and couldn't use an HDTV. So since we're giving her back that TV, we'll use the new TV since we sold the old one (we were using) at the garage sale last summer! This is the bedroom TV so nothing really substantial.

That was the short story!! :lmao:

I think I followed most of it. So, Arline now has a HDTV that she can use now that she has cable, which was the HDTV that you originally got for her when she didn't have cable. :hug:
Wish you and Fran would adopt me!! :thumbsup2

Yeah, that's funny! Actually Fran surprised me tonight. We went to Costco to buy a new TV and other stuff. We were leaving the parking lot and I mentioned that I no idea what we were having for dinner so we should figure it out and see if we needed anything at the grocery store before we got home. She asked if I wanted to eat Shabu Shabu, but that place is about 25+ minutes away and ALWAYS busy. At 6PM on a Saturday night we would have a VERY long wait! Then we remembered this Asian buffet we used to love, but we haven't been there in years because Fran couldn't wallk for a few years until she got new bionic parts (2 knees and a hip).

I had miso soup, sushi, Hot n Sour Soup, a plate of what they call Teppan which is really more like Mongolian BBQ, and then I was pretty much full. :headache: They've added a chocolate fountain and I had half a dozen strawberries coated in chocolate and I was done. Put a fork in me!

I'm so full right now! We're watching Cars with our friend Arline. She is severly lacking in her Disney education and we're taking her to the World in May. Part of getting her set for that includes 3 nights at Disneyland in February, but she's hardly seen any Disney movies so she doesn't really understand the "folklore" of the parks. We have a lot of educating to do!

Sounds like a lovely dinner!!! :lovestruc

When you say you're going to the World, does that mean Florida? :woohoo:

Well....:scratchin.....I'm thinking that if you're telling me you want sushi, that would mean that you're here in Melbourne. If that was the case, then I'd be Dismeeting with you and we're probably out having sushi somewhere! Maybe even with some Teppenyaki afterwards. :rolleyes1

And your autumn salad.....my aunt (she lives in San Diego) does something very very similar to that recipe. She uses raspberry vinegar dressing that she gets from Trader Joe's instead.

WFDT? No idea. But we have a lot of leftovers in the fridge. I think I've managed to convince DH to eat some rather than having to cook something else!

When my dream comes true and we're in Melbourne, we are going to be Dismeeting! :goodvibes

And I loved that salad. I wish we had a Trader Joe's around here, but at this point, there aren't any in Texas. :scared1:

And I love leftover nights! It frees up so much time!

How nice! :hug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, Tooter kept trying to wake me up this morning and I kept tossing her....errrrrr, pushing her towards the end of the bed. I finally couldn't take it anymore and got up. :sad2: That cat is going to be the death of me.

Today is laundry day. :headache: But, other than that, we'll have a nice relaxing day.

Tonight's dinner is a new recipe: crockpot orange chicken served over rice.

I'm hoping it's delish and I'll share pics and the recipe later.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday!

Brandi – I hope you had a safe trip home. Nothing like sleeping on your own pillows!

Alison – We leave on Thursday for eight days of food, wine & friends!!:cool1:

Janice – Are you still trying to flip your hair, :laughing:?

Jen – That salad looks great!

WFD – Pot roast with carrots and red wine, mashed potatoes and smothered cabbage.

Morning everyone....

I slept so good last night! :rotfl: I actually slept in which was wonderful...

So today is menu making, grocery shopping, and laundry....

So much to do and so little gumption :confused3

WFD???? I have no idea yet...

That was the short story!! :lmao:

I think I followed most of it. So, Arline now has a HDTV that she can use now that she has cable, which was the HDTV that you originally got for her when she didn't have cable. :hug:
Wish you and Fran would adopt me!! :thumbsup2

Yes that was the short story! And I don't think you want to become that destitute that she feels compelled to adopt you! :laughing:

When you say you're going to the World, does that mean Florida? :woohoo:

!

Yes Walt Disney World in Florida.

Alison – We leave on Thursday for eight days of food, wine & friends!!:cool1:

Sounds like a wonderful time! I'll arrive the following Thursday.

See you all on the new thread! Thanks Lindsay!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a lot of hair! I want a pic too!

What fun! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Kat- I have been craving pot roast lately!

Dinner is a Buddy fav! Buffalo wings and garlic bread. Some nights he just wants to "gnaw" on something in front of the TV. (Yes, he says gnaw.......... :confused3)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter