The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Ellen- I am so sorry for the loss of your young man. Small towns are wonderful places to live, you know eveyone and they all know you, but then a tragedy strikes, and the World crashes. I am praying foy all of you.

Brandi- I feel so badly that you are still in pain. I pray you turn that corner quickly!

Allison- I love tacos too! I have no idea why we dont make them more often.

Kimmar- I do the same....my taco is not a taco! LOL!!!!

Well we got a heap of snow on Thursday. 17 inches for us, and we are under a storm watch for tomorrow into Monday. I can work from home, but I don't like to do that on a Monday. We will see.

I have been cooking but it has been easy meals that dont take much thought. BUddy got his tuna on the snow day, so he was happy. Tonight he has requested hot dogs again, and I don't care, so hot dogs it is. TOmorrow I plan a New England boiled dinner and I am going to try making an apple pie. The past couple of little baking projects have not needed to be thrown out, hopefully I don't ruin this one.

Girls-did you read that Wishes is ending? I would so like one more little trip to say goodbye, but I think that is out of the question.

Good day everyone,

I have been craving comfort foods and for some reason Mac n Cheese was what I wanted, blue book please. It was gross. :(

Tonight is Brussel Sprouts and Mashed Potatoes.
David is cooking some fish for himself.

Happy Monday.

This last week was a hard one here at the church. The funeral for the young man was on Thursday. Our Sanctuary holds about 300. There were people packed in, in the balcony, choir loft, the aisles. Even outside the sanctuary where we have a TV all the way down to the steps into Fellowship Hall. Our Fellowship Hall seats 150, and we used every folding chair we have. People were standing shoulder to shoulder. We estimated there were 800+ here. What a testament to a good young man. We served the family lunch before the service and then just had a cookie reception after the burial. I was here till almost 6:30. I have never seen so many flowers and plants in my life. There were over 125 arrangements. Thanks for your prayers.

Last night the girls and families came for dinner. We really missed Matthew & Katlin – I hate that they live so far away. We fixed Cherry infused pork chops, cheesy potatoes, snicker salad and caramel brownies with vanilla bean ice cream. After dinner, we headed upstairs to Elizabeth’s old bedroom and went through her cedar chest (Doug made them for the girls when they turned 16). Oh my, the laughs we had. The tears were just running. We found her old Teen magazines, gym t shirt, dolls, diaries and all sorts of things that were SO important to a young girl. It was so much fun.

Nan ~ I hadn't heard that they were stopping Wishes. Why in the world would they do that? I haven't been to WDW in about 5 years and with all of the changes and price increases, I probably won't ever go back. Disney keeps taking away and charging more. I think it is SO sad. Gosh I remember the day that they really treated to guest and especially the returning guests very well. Do you remember the flex gifts? You could use them for a character meal or a really neat item. They use to treat their guest very good, but not now. We get less and less each year!!

Brandi ~ I sure hope you are feeling better. I did see that you were able to get away over the weekend. Hopefully the change of scenery did you good.

Kimmar ~ LOL, my tacos or fajitas are usually huge and I end up eating them with a fork. I try to only eat one, so I make it huge. :rotfl2:

Alison ~ Your tacos spurred me to have fajitas tonight. I had bought everything for them last week so tonight is the night. Thanks!!

WFDT ~ Chicken Fajitas, with refried beans and rice.

Make it a great day!

Ellen- I think that you all did well with your care and treatment of that poor family. I am so glad your girls came by to visit, a laugh was what you all needed!

I will miss Wishes, but I am looking forward to the new show that will be taking it's place. Disney invested in a lot of new technology, and they will be using it to project onto the Castle. Last Summer Marisa and Jeff saw the fireworks t DHS, and they were blown away. Don't give up on Disney, Ellen. There have been losses, but the replacements are pretty darn nice. I think that while there have been closures, especially in DHS< there still is so much to do.

Dinner yesterday was good. I finished it early and we ate later in the day, really a good restful Sunday! My pie was not great though. For some reason the crust did not bake until the apples turned ve soft. I made a crumble for the top crust though, and that was good. I am sticking to my "not an apple pie" apple pie. I do better with short crusts.

Tonight I think we will have left over stuffed peppers, with a cucumber and onion salad.

Girls, I am so excited! Marisa is taking me to see Debbie this weekend. I miss her so much. I guess that we re going to an owl or bird preserve, and Jenna is arranging a tour for Kady, and then we are going to a small aquarium. Deb was not sure Kady would want too because it is small, but she is looking forward to it.

Happy Monday.

This last week was a hard one here at the church. The funeral for the young man was on Thursday. Our Sanctuary holds about 300. There were people packed in, in the balcony, choir loft, the aisles. Even outside the sanctuary where we have a TV all the way down to the steps into Fellowship Hall. Our Fellowship Hall seats 150, and we used every folding chair we have. People were standing shoulder to shoulder. We estimated there were 800+ here. What a testament to a good young man. We served the family lunch before the service and then just had a cookie reception after the burial. I was here till almost 6:30. I have never seen so many flowers and plants in my life. There were over 125 arrangements. Thanks for your prayers.

Last night the girls and families came for dinner. We really missed Matthew & Katlin – I hate that they live so far away. We fixed Cherry infused pork chops, cheesy potatoes, snicker salad and caramel brownies with vanilla bean ice cream. After dinner, we headed upstairs to Elizabeth’s old bedroom and went through her cedar chest (Doug made them for the girls when they turned 16). Oh my, the laughs we had. The tears were just running. We found her old Teen magazines, gym t shirt, dolls, diaries and all sorts of things that were SO important to a young girl. It was so much fun.

Nan ~ I hadn't heard that they were stopping Wishes. Why in the world would they do that? I haven't been to WDW in about 5 years and with all of the changes and price increases, I probably won't ever go back. Disney keeps taking away and charging more. I think it is SO sad. Gosh I remember the day that they really treated to guest and especially the returning guests very well. Do you remember the flex gifts? You could use them for a character meal or a really neat item. They use to treat their guest very good, but not now. We get less and less each year!!

Brandi ~ I sure hope you are feeling better. I did see that you were able to get away over the weekend. Hopefully the change of scenery did you good.

Kimmar ~ LOL, my tacos or fajitas are usually huge and I end up eating them with a fork. I try to only eat one, so I make it huge. :rotfl2:

Alison ~ Your tacos spurred me to have fajitas tonight. I had bought everything for them last week so tonight is the night. Thanks!!

WFDT ~ Chicken Fajitas, with refried beans and rice.

Make it a great day!

My condolences to you and your community for such a loss.

Yesterday was a good day, and so far today I have been having a good day.
I actually got 5k steps yesterday, and so far today I have 1100 steps.

Last night was Pizza night, it is normally on Friday but since I was in NC on Friday it got moved to last night! LOL
Tonight is asparagus and cucumber, and bell pepper and David has a pork chop.

Hope you all are doing great!

Happy Valentine's Day

Ethan has a basketball game at 4 and then it is Senior night tonight at the High School. So we are going to be going to 3 basketball games tonight. We are SO romantic. Doug did ask if I wanted to go out for dinner, but I really want to go to the games. We have plans for a nice dinner on Saturday.

Nan ~ I know you are right. We have been gone for so long that it is all going to be new to us. Doug and I really want to go - but here is our problem. If we go by ourselves, our kids will have a fit. They love Disney almost more than us!! We are looking at 2019 - Harper will be 4 and Lilly and Liam will be 6, Ethan will still be ok at 14. Marty and the littles have never been. We are looking at staying at the Contemporary - that is our absolute favorite place, and we love that it is close to MK - our favorite park. So yes, we will go back!!

Brandi ~ Hopefully you have turned a corner and will feel better from here on out.

WFDT ~ I am going to get us Subway's. I don't think I can eat another hot dog.

Make it a great day.

David and I are heading to Disney in October, for our Anniversary and Food & Wine Festival.
I hope I am feeling better too, I am so ready to get going and doing better, I am looking forward to feeling better.

Ellen- You are going to have so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Disney with children, and especially love it with kids who have never been. I think we hear so much about changes and what has been removed that it is easy to worry about what remains, and what has been added. You and Doug will be Blessed with experiencing this Magical World through the eyes of those babies you love so much!

Brandi- October is awesome! You keep getting well@

I am not sure about dinner tonight. I was in a bit of a snit this morning so I did not plan anything. I want Bud to take Kady out for dinner this evening. He usually does something special for the girls, but Valentines Day snuck up on me, so no shopping other than cards! I don't know if she is free though, this is FFA week at school, so she is booked solid! LOL!

Hi everyone! I've been meaning to get in here and comment and I don't know what happens!

Ellen, I'm glad the services were a success, so sad, but I can't even imagine that many people turning out for a service here unless it was a celebrity.

Brandi, I hope this was the turn you were looking for.

Nan, I hope you enjoy your visit with Debbie.

Last night we had Frito Pie for dinner. That's one of Fran's favorites. Tonight we have band so no big dinner or anything. Normally we don't do anything as Valentine's Day out usually means crowded restaurants with overpriced prix fixe menus. Instead we will have Thai food at a little hole in the wall near the church where we have band practice.

Ellen, I'm sure your trip will be magical. I've never been with kids, obviously since I've never had them. I'm sure there will be plenty of new things that will make their eyes bug out and cause them to laugh and squeal in delight.

You and Doug really should take an adults trip regardless of what the kids say! Maybe that could be Disneyland! There is so much for adults to enjoy that many families almost never know about!

David and I are heading to Disney in October, for our Anniversary and Food & Wine Festival.
I hope I am feeling better too, I am so ready to get going and doing better, I am looking forward to feeling better.
.....NICE....on ALL counts! :thumbsup2

This is my plate, I've added the spicy Harissa, plus you can also pour the braising broth on your plate to add a moistness.

....kinda reminds me of what we ate the other night....there's a great Polish deli nearby that also serves delicious hot prepared Polish food and one of their most popular things is the Polish sampler - with kielbasa, Polish sauerkraut (it actually tastes way different than German sauerkraut), mashed potatoes, stuffed cabbage, and pierogies....all for only $8! I can't cook it for that cheap price.....

Happy Friday girlies,

Good grief this week went SO fast. Just seems like yesterday it was Monday. One of Stephanie's co-workers Mother passed away very unexpectedly on Monday. As soon as I get off of work at 4, I am taking the boys and we are going to pick the girls up from daycare and we are all going out to eat. The funeral is 4 hours North of Kearney so they won't be home till at least 8. We are to top the 70's today so I am hoping we can play outside also for awhile. I can't wait!! What fun we will have. Ethan has a huge basketball tournament in Kearny tomorrow so I am thinking I might just bring Lilly home with me and she can go back with me tomorrow. She loves coming to Nanny's and Poppy's. Doug's nose is a bit bent as he can't go because he has to work till 5. So this will make him happy to at least have Lilly with us.

Kimmar ~ Most of the time I love living in the middle of no where, in a really small town, but when I hear of the great meals you girls all have, I must admit I am jealous. You are so lucky!!

Brandi ~ You and David will have so much fun in Disney. Doug and I have gone by ourselves and we had a blast.

Alison ~ I think your idea of Disneyland is perfect. You do remember about 2 years ago I tried to get him to go and he flat said no. But I think I have him worn down. Hum............I need to really get serious about this. Thanks for the idea.

Nan ~ Did Buddy end up taking Kady our for Valentines day??

WFDT ~ Culvers's. All of the kiddos love their cheeseburgers and yogurt so that is where we are going. YUM!!

Make it a great day and have a wonderful weekend.

Ellen, have fun with the Littles!

Kimmar, that Polish dinner sounds great and what a deal!

Brandi, so glad you and David are finally getting back to WDW! I can't wait to plan a trip again.

Today we are supposed to get HEAVY rain. The worst of the season and we've had some bad rain this year. We're getting a tankless water heater installed (not sure how they're going to do that in the rain) and I plan on doing laundry all day and watching TV. For dinner I'm making Le Cellier's Beer Cheese Soup. We'll have a salad to go along with it as well.

Kimmar, that Polish dinner sounds great and what a deal!.....
....yeah....too bad my DS raided the fridge late at night - I was intent on bringing the leftovers to school for lunch, but it was nowhere to be found...:badpc:

....what was for dinner last night? My DH and DS went to a contractors' beefsteak dinner, so my girlfriend invited me over for salad, homemade pepperoni and sausage pizzas, with a bottle of red wine!

Last edited:
Well mother nature had other plans for me yesterday. The power went out at 3:45, so I ended up ordering take out for dinner. Fran got a burger and I got shrimp, fish and chips.

Tonight will be Cheddar Cheese Soup!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter