The Wardrobe Malfunction Trip 5 - Typhoon Lagoon & a wardrobe malfunction

spookysarah

DIS Veteran
Typhoon Lagoon and a Wardrobe Malfunction

Me, Sarah 31 – chief planner, lover of all things Disney
DH, Craig, 34 – driver and foodie
DD, Holly, 10 – loves characters and especially drawing them
DD, Rowan, 8 – not going upside down this year!
3 newbies -
My mum, Shona, 50 - big kid and possible thrill junkie
My dad, Alastair, 57 – the banker and carrier bag holder
My sister, Mel, 29 – doesn’t do characters and slightly bemused by the 'Disney thing'

24th September 2008

We were up early today and decided on Denny’s for breakfast. Three of us had the ever so scrummy steak and cheese omelette. Also consumed were a meat lover’s brekkie, an alien pancake, a Jnr grand slam and probably something of the senior selection for my dad but I have no notes about that. Everything was very good and with full bellies we headed to Typhoon Lagoon.

We arrived about 10am and quickly decided to but refillable mugs as we planned to set up a camp for the day. My mum dad and sister were amazed at how beautiful and lush it was. We picked at spot where we could see the wave pool but quickly decided that the music was too loud. After a quick scout around we chose a new spot in Hideaway Bay which was near a smoke spot for dad. It was also not too far from a refill station and food! With valuables safely in a locker we hired it was all in the lazy river for some nice time chilling. We ended up going around a second time and came out near the Storm Slides which we all went down. I have to say mum and dad looked a bit shocked and resembled drowned rats.

Waterpark23.jpg

image179800x532.jpg

Mum is in there somewhere!

Waterpark19.jpg

They decided to go and lie in the sun for a bit while the rest of us made for Crush ‘n’ Gusher. I have no idea all the combinations we rode down in but we had a lot of fun and there was tons of screaming.

image79532x800.jpg

image81800x532.jpg

image120532x800.jpg

Splashdown!

image122533x800.jpg

After the last ride down my tankini top started digging in. My sister took a look and said the adjustable clip was broken so she offered to remove it after reassuring me my top would not ping off. You know what happened don’t you? The strap came pinging off but fortunately I was prepared and any nasty exposure incident was thwarted, phew! After a bit of threading and tying of the strap I was good to go but it was at this time that I looked at my toes and noticed that my nail was broken. All my other nails were too long and in danger of being broken so I had to go to first aid. Oh the shame! The lady was very nice and did not laugh at my talons and gave me a choice of clippers. After a few mins I was ready to face the park again. We all had a blast in the wave pool, it always amazes me. I love the booming noise followed by all the screams, lol!

After some refreshments we set off for more fun and decided to ride Gangplank Falls, the family raft ride. The quese was much shorter than the previous year when we went in June/July so even though the ride is quite short it was worth the wait. The girls went with their Aunt and Craig and I rode alone. It was fun but short. We also went down Gangplank and Mayday Falls and both were very much enjoyed. I just remember that one of them is very bumpy!

image130800x532.jpg

We took the lazy river around to try Humunga Cowabunga which I decided to sit out. I was still unnerved from the day before. Those that went down had great fun and mega wedgies! We had a lunch stop at some pint but who knows when and what we ate? We had walked past the signs to Shark Reef a few times and my sister was very keen. None of us wanted to go back in – we told her it was cold and rubbish but she insisted so we watched in the nice warm sun. When she had finished she said it was cold and boring or words to that effect, lol! We did not tell her that we took a sneaky photo of her from the bridge. Turns out she looked like a floating corpse, lol! How much you gonna pay me to show the photo? Lol!

We caught up with mum and dad again who came to watch us on Crush ‘n’ Gusher. Again we rode several time and on the last trip down I felt a very strange sensation. When I came out of the pool I asked my sis to see if my bottoms were ripped just in case but she gave me the OK – phew! However……….while walking to the wave pool Holly informed me that I had a big see through patch on my bum! Nooooooooooo, nightmare! Wardrobe Malfunction Number 2. I shamefully tied my towel around my waist and went to get showered and changed. Everyone else went to the wave pool.

image71800x532.jpg

image83532x800.jpg

image87800x532.jpg

When I came back we hit Wardrobe Malfunction Number 3 – nobody had packed clothes for Craig. He had arrived in his swim stuff and a scabby old t-shirt and I had only packed clean underwear and deodorant, lololol!!! He headed off to the gift shop to buy a new t-shirt. I have to say that he attracted a lot of attention as he was wearing his Instakilt beach towel which was a gift for being brother of the bride at his sister’s wedding.

Florida2007GM060600x800.jpg

Dad made sure to grab a seat while waiting for Craig, oblivious to the sign behind him lol!

Florida2007GM062800x600.jpg

T-shirt bought and all showered and dressed we headed or dinner at Whispering Canyon Café.

This was the first visit to a Disney hotel for the newbie trio and they were gobsmacked to say the least. We all enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere while waiting to be called.

Florida2007GM066800x600.jpg

We were initially sat at a table off the main dining room but I was devasted that we might miss out on all the fun and that without all the fun and games it was just good BBQ food so I asked the server if we could move. We had to return to the podium to wait but very quickly we were called again and sat at two tables pushed together. Our new server introduced himself as Slippery Pete aka Patrick.

Florida2007GM090800x600.jpg

He took our drink order first. My sis went for a tall berry margarita and my mum asked for a small one. Slippery Pete pretended she said tall to which mum replied no, small. Thne we get about 30 secs of them saying tall , no small, tall, no small and Pete wins by writing tall down on the order pad, lol! Holly and Rowan chose special kids raspberry cocktails which came in a souvenir cup with a light up Tinkerbell clip on. They were delighted!

Tall!

Florida2007GM068800x600.jpg

Florida2007GM077600x800.jpg

Next up was the food order. After 3 of us had ordered skillet Pete asked if we were really going to make him go all around the table if we were all having the skillet, to which we sheepishly (while muffling giggles) said we were. He pretended to be horrified, lol.

While waiting for our salad our old server from the table we declined passed by and pretended to be miffed and said he was much better than Pete. He continued to be cheeky for the whole meal shouting over to Pete that he was lousy as we had empty glasses on the table etc. It was hilarious! At one point he was stood next to us (as we watched some poor dad sing happy birthday to himself whilst riding a wooden pony around the room) and he said that did we know he could say tomato ketchup in 3 languages? Tomato ketchup, tomato sauce and salsa de tomate! LOL!

Last time we visited Craig drank his first glass of root beer so quickly that he was brought out a 4 pint glass that looked more like a vase. We all encouraged him to down his glass and ask for another to see if it happened again but sadly not. So we asked him to drink up quick again through the meal. The 4 pint glass never came although lots of refills did and I secretly hoped that Craig would need to ‘pay a visit’ as I had heard what can happen then. Sadly, it was not to happen either. Next time, lol!

The meal was very good. We all enjoyed the salad and the cornbread was divine. The skillet was greatly enjoyed by all. I think the pulled pork was the hit of the night and I also love the cowboy beans. Slippery Pete found our request for the puddings menu hilarious. He teased up relentlessly about eating puddings for dessert. The girls had worms in dirt and we had an assortment including apple pie, kahlua chocolate cake and something that I’m sure ended in dust bowl but can’t see it on the menu?

Florida2007GM073800x600.jpg

Florida2007GM078600x800.jpg

Florida2007GM089800x600.jpg

Felix and his pal Nessie were delighted with the food and trying to keep them out of the cocktails was very hard! I think Pete liked them although he was confused when I told him Felix was going on holiday with lots of people, lol!

Florida2007GM085600x800.jpg

Florida2007GM071800x600.jpg

As well as the food we also enjoyed all of the fun that eating at Whispering Canyon can include. The calls for ketchup rung all night long and there were numerous diners throughout the evening embarrassed for our amusement. This firmly remains at the top of our places to eat. Give it a go!

After eating and drinking so much we shuffled around the gift shop for a while making a few purchases. Holly and Rowan both bought a Minnie Mouse version of Polly Pocket and a coin collecting wallet. I bought some Mickey Mouse American baking cups. I’m sure there was more as it’s not like us to leave so empty handed but as I said in my intro I lost my notebook so most of this is from memory. My mum was quizzed about the name on her credit card – Seonaid. He wanted to know how to pronounce it. She told him it is shawn-itch but that she gets called Shona which confused him even more, lol!

It had been a fabulous day and as we drove back to the hotel we saw glimpses of both Wishes and Illuminations, a real teaser of things to come. It was lights out as soon as we were ready. Still not unpacked by the way! Far too busy, lol!

Tomorrow – Chef Mickey’s & Epcot

:rotfl2:At the near wardrobe malfunctions!

Looks like a wonderful day had by all,love the pictures.
The food looks devine.:thumbsup2

Another eventful day with the old swim suits. Thanks for posting. I loved the photo of your Dad with your daughters on the chair, he looks so proud.:thumbsup2

Fantastic photos of you having fun with the girls. Was dad the designated photographer ?

All the waterpark photos are from Photpoass. MY DH and my mum were the main photographers. I am too busy organising to take photos. ;)

Typhoon Lagoon looks awesome. For some reason we have never visited a water park before on trips to WDW. I'm guessing that it's because I've only been with my parents and my Dad can't swim!

great day and especially liked the towel

susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter