The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

These days, with the backlog in points and all the pent-up demand for vacations, as a non-owner of GC, is it best to rent points or just go with a cash room reservation? We own at AKL, but nothing is ever available for the GC for dates I look at by the time the window rolls around. Are waitlists granted with any frequency? It might end up being better to just stay at the Disneyland Hotel instead of trying for the GC, but if there is a trick I'm missing, I'd love any input you might have!
For a studio, yes you likely need to rent home resort points. For 7-month stays, best bet will be 1-2BR and you should be online right at the opening window. If no luck, yes setup waitlist and then stalk daily.

In addition to the usual rental brokers, many DVC resale firms are also renting points and pre-booked reservations. If your dates are flexible, you could try that route by signing up for their newsletters or checking websites every couple days. Facebook groups are also good, I think. There are also rental boards here at DIS and some others.

For a cash room, I don't think they have any DVC inventory to rent for cash; as they are always booked-up near the 7-month mark. If you meant a cash hotel room, then that's easy. Checkout Dapperday.com for a fun semi-annual event with some good convention rates on regular rooms at GCH and DLR, typically. Best of luck!

Hi guys! Quick question: Only stayed at the Grand once before and we arrived later in the day. We're heading out to Anaheim tomorrow, staying off site tomorrow night, and then have a 5 night stay at VGC starting Sunday.
We wanted to head to the Grand Californian early Sunday morning (Like 7/8 am) to drop our bags with bell services and then we'll head to the park. This way we don't have to go back to our offsite hotel at all.

So, my question is this: Can we go ahead and get checked in when we drop off the bags? I know at WDW, you can check in early and then you'll get a text when you're room is ready later (to open with your phone or magicband.) However, I wasn't sure if the Grand had a system in place like that or if I had to drop our bags off and then come back to check in later.

Thank you!

Hi guys! Quick question: Only stayed at the Grand once before and we arrived later in the day. We're heading out to Anaheim tomorrow, staying off site tomorrow night, and then have a 5 night stay at VGC starting Sunday.
We wanted to head to the Grand Californian early Sunday morning (Like 7/8 am) to drop our bags with bell services and then we'll head to the park. This way we don't have to go back to our offsite hotel at all.

So, my question is this: Can we go ahead and get checked in when we drop off the bags? I know at WDW, you can check in early and then you'll get a text when you're room is ready later (to open with your phone or magicband.) However, I wasn't sure if the Grand had a system in place like that or if I had to drop our bags off and then come back to check in later.

Thank you!
I’m curious also cuz we are checking in for the week in Monday! 👍
I’ve always been able to check in before the room is ready, to get the resort key. VGC does not have the feature where the app can unlock the doors like WDW, you will receive a key card. You should be able to do most of the checkin online via the Disneyland website if you link your DVC reservation. That makes it go much faster upon arrival, as all they need to do is verify ID & give you the keys.

A couple of times I’ve not received the text when the room is ready; if you don’t get it by 4pm, the time for the Villas, just wander over there when you have a few minutes to get the room assignment & pick up your luggage.

Thank you!
Your plan will work fine. You can store your bags with bell services. You can also check in (might even be a shorter check in line really early in the morning).

You can check-in up to 4 days in advance. The only reason to go to the front desk is to pick up your keys.

Has anyone heard if DVC will get a discount on the Magic Key program?

I checked the DVC website under benefits, which is where the minuscule $20 discount for highest DLR passes used to be listed. Nothing about the new program at all, so we’ll see if they update to list a discount. I highly doubt it though… 😒

I checked the DVC website under benefits, which is where the minuscule $20 discount for highest DLR passes used to be listed. Nothing about the new program at all, so we’ll see if they update to list a discount. I highly doubt it though… 😒
Any idea why our discounts out here are so different than WDW? I'm a relatively new DVC member, and I was shocked to see how much they differ.

Any idea why our discounts out here are so different than WDW? I'm a relatively new DVC member, and I was shocked to see how much they differ.

DLR is much more of a locals park than WDW. DVC is definitely not much of a consideration out here, and many CMs had never heard of DVC. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Some years it was definitely a struggle to even get our $20 discount per pass at the ticket windows. 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️

DLR is much more of a locals park than WDW. DVC is definitely not much of a consideration out here, and many CMs had never heard of DVC. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Some years it was definitely a struggle to even get our $20 discount per pass at the ticket windows.

That's unfortunate. We paid for our points and pay our annual dues just like WDW owners, our "perks" should be the same. While DL may be a locals park, DVC owners aren't necessarily local. We live in Northern California, and I know there are many out of state VGC owners.

It’s definitely a bummer. We are locals and owners, and the best DVC DLR experience we’ve had was the first DL Moonlight Magic. Who knows if those will ever return, but perhaps DVC will offer more DLR perks when DLT points start being sold…

It’s definitely a bummer. We are locals and owners, and the best DVC DLR experience we’ve had was the first DL Moonlight Magic. Who knows if those will ever return, but perhaps DVC will offer more DLR perks when DLT points start being sold…

Straight from the horse's mouth...here is Terri's response to my inquiry on DVC discount on the Magic Key program:

"Hope this finds you and your family doing well. We are excited to see this new program roll out as well.

The pass program at Disneyland is different than Walt Disney World, so the offer for DVC Members is different, but there is one. DVC Members receive a $20 discount on the Enchant, Believe and Dream Key. The purchase must be made on site at the Box Office and you need to show your DVC Member “blue card” to receive.

Hope that insight helps.

Terri"

Latest posts

facebook twitter