The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

First time poster, long-time DVCer, west coast based in Arizona.. this whole situation with VGC has my blood boiling. My sympathy to all who have been affected and I thought I'd add to the list of grievances.

My experience thus far... we had a multi-night reservation in a 2 bedroom that we secured much earlier than the availability "glitch" on April 1. On April 2, we noticed, like many others, that there was more availability than normal at VGC so we decided to move reservations around and dropped our 2 bedroom stay and thought we'd switch for a different week, only to find out that all bookings had been 'paused'. This was also prior to the warning about VGC being paused.

Now, after 4 phone calls to member services, each with 1 hour+ waits, we are absolutely no where. No answers, no help, no magic, and no reservations. They won't restore what we had before even though they can see it right in front of them. They have NO idea when it will be fixed.. and even though, while some had reported an ability to book at VGC if they "get the right member service rep", we've found that flat out refuse to do so. We're sitting on so many points that will expire later this year... I realize there are much bigger problems in the world, but DVC members pay a lot of dues and initial up front costs and trust that things like this won't happen or if they do, will be resolved quickly.

Just imagine if all bookings at D World were 'paused'... heads would roll.. DVC really showing it's 'east coast' bias here.

First time poster, long-time DVCer, west coast based in Arizona.. this whole situation with VGC has my blood boiling. My sympathy to all who have been affected and I thought I'd add to the list of grievances.

My experience thus far... we had a multi-night reservation in a 2 bedroom that we secured much earlier than the availability "glitch" on April 1. On April 2, we noticed, like many others, that there was more availability than normal at VGC so we decided to move reservations around and dropped our 2 bedroom stay and thought we'd switch for a different week, only to find out that all bookings had been 'paused'. This was also prior to the warning about VGC being paused.

Now, after 4 phone calls to member services, each with 1 hour+ waits, we are absolutely no where. No answers, no help, no magic, and no reservations. They won't restore what we had before even though they can see it right in front of them. They have NO idea when it will be fixed.. and even though, while some had reported an ability to book at VGC if they "get the right member service rep", we've found that flat out refuse to do so. We're sitting on so many points that will expire later this year... I realize there are much bigger problems in the world, but DVC members pay a lot of dues and initial up front costs and trust that things like this won't happen or if they do, will be resolved quickly.

Just imagine if all bookings at D World were 'paused'... heads would roll.. DVC really showing it's 'east coast' bias here.
If your expiring points are VGC specific, reach out them and they tend to work with you on case-by-case basis.
I have a return call pending with MS to talk about the overbook options -- have several memorial day and labor day bookings I think they will be wanting to move or cancel.

That’s awful! Been reading about the many frustrations of some here and I can’t imagine the stress.

just wanna say that I’ve told DH many many times about how west coast is like the forgotten child compared to Orlando...more benefits for DVC members, more events, perks that we don’t get, etc.

That’s awful! Been reading about the many frustrations of some here and I can’t imagine the stress.

just wanna say that I’ve told DH many many times about how west coast is like the forgotten child compared to Orlando...more benefits for DVC members, more events, perks that we don’t get, etc.
I think it's going to shift quite a bit when the new DVC Tower opens. VGC is so dinky (which I love) so bringing a big new all-DVC resort online should shake things up. Certainly a lot of East Coasters interested in it.

I think it's going to shift quite a bit when the new DVC Tower opens. VGC is so dinky (which I love) so bringing a big new all-DVC resort online should shake things up. Certainly a lot of East Coasters interested in it.
Sure, I'll take dinky any day! Direct park access.. can't beat that! I'm hoping the new DVC tower will spread things out more for Disneyland with DVC owners.. another fear though is now there will be even more competition for VGC at the 7-month window making it harder for spur of the moment trips.

Got this email a short time ago:

c0e657b2-6074-44ae-bec5-9cbac3f7dc75.png
Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,

We know that vacation planning is one of the most important and exciting aspects of your Membership because it means that soon you will be coming ‘home’. Our goal is always to provide our Members with the highest quality customer experience, including during that essential planning and booking process.

Due to multiple circumstances, we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes and some of you have shared your concerns when calling Member Services and experiencing extended wait times. Our Advisors continue to address many complex situations for our Members who have had their vacations interrupted by the pandemic, which often requires more time and limits the total number of Members we can speak to. This, combined with our Advisors continuing to work from home, has created unprecedented challenges for our teams.

Please know that we are working diligently to remedy this issue and recognize that we need to do better. We want to assure you that we are taking the necessary steps to help reduce call wait times, including hiring more Cast Members and investing in new phone systems that will enhance our customer service levels.

In the meantime while we are working as quickly as possible to improve the Member experience, we also wanted to share some online tools available at DisneyVacationClub.com that can help you resolve many of your planning and booking needs.

Members can make or modify Disney Vacation Club Resort reservations booked on points; change travel dates, resort and/or room type; add or remove secondary guests; create or deactivate a waitlist; or cancel a reservation at DisneyVacationClub.com.

Other online tools allow Members to:

The website even offers online chats during Member Services operating hours with Cast Members who can update guest lists, cancel Disney Vacation Club or Walt Disney World Disney Collection reservations, deactivate waitlists, remove nights from Disney Vacation Club Resort reservations, review and bank points, request Disney’s Magical Express service (for Walt Disney World stays in 2021) and answer general questions.

While we always love hearing from and speaking to our Members, we do encourage you to take advantage of these timesaving online tools when possible. All of us at Disney Vacation Club thank you for your patience as we work towards welcoming you home soon.

Regards,

Disney Vacation Club

view

Anyone have an update on when VGC might start booking again? It's been forever, and I need to change a reservation. I haven't tried to call ... yet.

Anyone have an update on when VGC might start booking again? It's been forever, and I need to change a reservation. I haven't tried to call ... yet.
I have an email in 24+ hours ago to ask about a night I added on that might be an over-booking. If it's not valid no problem, but I want to reclaim the points and book a different night before 7 months which is approaching fast.

At the end of the email I asked specifically if there's any guidance on when VGC will be "un-paused". Fingers crossed for a reply. :thumbsup2

I have an email in 24+ hours ago to ask about a night I added on that might be an over-booking. If it's not valid no problem, but I want to reclaim the points and book a different night before 7 months which is approaching fast.

At the end of the email I asked specifically if there's any guidance on when VGC will be "un-paused". Fingers crossed for a reply. :thumbsup2
Definitely keep me posted. Thanks! I can't remember a resort ever being paused this long. I just went online to check and it is definitely still paused. Ugh.

they are still working through the logs. I just got a hold of them yesterday evening and they said a lot still. The main nights are the holiday weekends Memorial, july 4th, labor day and candlelight. (all which I had added onto existing for more family. Canceled 1/2 of them as didn't want to have reservation points too much; but kept the other half knowing will be able to use them on the hotel side .

I still haven’t heard anything about my lockoff reservation. This kind of delay is gross when we are talking about hundreds of points and families booking flights thinking they have a reservation.

And I canceled a week at Beach Club for this. I’m bummed when Disney’s mistake will ruin my summer plans, and I’m disappointed in Disney’s whole response to this. I hope they have a plan to make this right.

I still haven’t heard anything about my lockoff reservation. This kind of delay is gross when we are talking about hundreds of points and families booking flights thinking they have a reservation.

And I canceled a week at Beach Club for this. I’m bummed when Disney’s mistake will ruin my summer plans, and I’m disappointed in Disney’s whole response to this. I hope they have a plan to make this right.
Was yours unavailable previous to the glitch? Someone mentioned getting a call and they had a studio and a 2 bedroom booked during the glitch and only the studio was an issue. Hopefully your 2 bedroom is fine. But yes not knowing for sure and it taking so long for them to resolve it - nerve wracking with so many plans/lives/flights potentially impacted.

Was yours unavailable previous to the glitch? Someone mentioned getting a call and they had a studio and a 2 bedroom booked during the glitch and only the studio was an issue. Hopefully your 2 bedroom is fine. But yes not knowing for sure and it taking so long for them to resolve it - nerve wracking with so many plans/lives/flights potentially impacted.

Mine was booked April Fools with the wide open inventory. I don’t keep up with VCG, so I figured maybe it had just opened for booking.

But yea, I knew a lock off in July was a good find. It’s why I put so many points on it, as a bucket list trip. I had to make in multiple reservations because I was moving points around to put them all on this. :(

I can’t wait til the new DL DVC tower opens, especially with the limited supply now. VGC isn’t our home resort even though we are locals. So stressful trying to book at the 7 month mark!

they are still working through the logs. I just got a hold of them yesterday evening and they said a lot still. The main nights are the holiday weekends Memorial, july 4th, labor day and candlelight. (all which I had added onto existing for more family. Canceled 1/2 of them as didn't want to have reservation points too much; but kept the other half knowing will be able to use them on the hotel side .
The others all make sense, but Candlelight? I don't see how Disneyland will be able to hold such an event this year, at least not during a time frame the park is open to the public.

The others all make sense, but Candlelight? I don't see how Disneyland will be able to hold such an event this year, at least not during a time frame the park is open to the public.
That doesn't stop people from hoping. The studios were gone within hours of the 11-month window opening.

Tried chat to get an update when we can book VGC. Here is their answer:

"I do apologize. There is a challenge booking The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa at this time and it has not been resolved. Our IT team is working to resolve the challenge, but we do not have an ETA as to when it will be resolved."

And we wait...

Tried chat to get an update when we can book VGC. Here is their answer:

"I do apologize. There is a challenge booking The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa at this time and it has not been resolved. Our IT team is working to resolve the challenge, but we do not have an ETA as to when it will be resolved."

And we wait...
Wow, thanks for posting. I haven't seen chat available for a while and still not showing for me now. Any tricks to connecting with chat? Or do you think you just caught them when available?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter